- Text Size +

CHAPTER 19 - THE QUEEN’S SPEECH AND A LITTLE ASMR


CAMERON-PETERSON RESIDENCE - THREE DAYS LATER


LOUNGE


NANCY


“What do you mean you are going for an interview?” I frown at a smartly dressed Lindsay as she prints off her resume. “Where is it?” 


“Alleghany Courthouse.” She replies as she reads. “Yes, that’s perfect!”


“Lindsay, you haven’t worked in years!” I scoff. “What on earth are you going to be doing?”


She regards me coolly. “Hopefully be a board member, in a junior capacity for now...” David and I exchange stunned looks. “...to the EOHOPS Association, or EOHOPSA for those on the board. I put forward an idea, which they are interested in.”


“Which is?” David frowns.


“Which is what?” She replies, checking her reflection.


“What is the EOHOPSA and the idea.” He sighs impatiently, but she just checks out her reflection.


“Just tell us, clearly you have something to gloat over!” I snap, weary of this game and annoyed that I hadn’t spotted her playing it immediately. I should’ve known something was afoot when she wanted to borrow the printer, saying the one at the apartment had run out of toner and she was in a rush!


“The EOHOPSA looks after newly released prisoners and guides them to the right path, and my idea is mine and theirs to know.” 


“Fine, do you want a lift?” David asks, much to the surprise of both of us. “I am heading in that direction anyway.”


“No thanks. I would like to be alone to gather my thoughts.” She checks her reflection one more time before sweeping out. 


“So what are you going to do?” David asks, his face hard and unreadable. “I am beginning to feel very disrespected here!”


“By whom? Me or…”


“Not you, darling, of course not, but your children are another matter!”


“Child!” I interject. “I regard Lindsay as my child, Lynette has been a source of disappointment since birth.”


“Then it is time they were both brought to heel.” He states and looks heavenwards. “Shall we...”


DAVID


“Oh yes we shall!” She giggles, swiftly heading upstairs whilst my stomach drains into my boots!


“Wait a sec! I meant shall we have Lynette and Oliver around for dinner this weekend, not to do...that!”


“But…” She looks a mix of furious, embarrassed and disappointed.


“I do have an appointment, remember?” She frowns slightly then nods. “And I offered a lift to Lindsay, in the hopes of making her late, thereby giving you a chance to state your case.” I almost punch the air at the delight in her expression at the thought, of scoring another one over Lindsay. “So I can leave you to do that then?” I ask, picking up my coat and dropping a kiss on her cheek as I pass her. “Maybe order in, giving us time to lay down some rules as to how I am to be treated.”


“Yes, of course, darling.” She simpers then heads to make the calls and do research on the board.


As I make my way towards the hospital; I think about how, for the want of a better word, cocky those three have been. Lindsay, I am not too bothered about because she knows how far she can push it, and besides, we have a mutual goal. But Lynette, now she has turned into a completely different person. Gone is the fear that she had for me, it seems to have been replaced with indifference. I do not like indifference! And as for her bolshy husband, well once I have a word or two in his ear, let’s see how he sees his wife then!


MONTEFIORE HOSPITAL CAR PARK


Pulling up next to George Schickel’s car, I am surprised to see Sandrine getting out of hers. I wonder if she’s here to discuss the fund raiser. I have not been informed of any further developments and, as this was my idea, I should be!.


“Sandrine! Good morning, fancy seeing you here! How lovely to see you!”


“David, how are you?” She asks, and waits for me to catch up with her. “Lovely day isn’t it?”


“Yes It is. Are you here for a meeting with George about the fundraiser?”


“No.” She replies, holding the door open for me.


“Thank you. So to what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?”


“I am meeting with the caterer for the fundraiser.” She smiles. “Such delicacies.”


“Oh, should I join you then? I have time, and as a fellow organiser I should…”


“No, whilst I said I was meeting with the caterer, this is not to discuss catering. This is to talk about feeding a completely different beast, and George has kindly allowed us to use his office.” My eyebrows shoot up. “Problem?”


“Well, no offence meant, but George’s office is…”


“His as the Chief Surgeon to do with what he wishes. If you are casting aspersions on our integrity....”


“No, no, of course not. As I said, I meant no offence, it’s just not something I have heard him do.”


“There is a lot of things that you won’t have heard him do I should imagine.” She returns smoothly. “Now was that all?”


“Just one more query. I wonder if you would know, through Philip, about the EOHOPS Association or EOHOPSA as it more commonly known to some folk?”


“Yes, and not through Philip. I am on the board. Why do you ask?” She frowns.


“On the board, well isn’t that fortuitous? As much as I like Lindsay, she’s my stepdaughter after all, but she has applied for…”


“A place as a junior board member, I am aware.”


“And your thoughts on this?” 


“We will be impartial and all applicants will be considered. Their histories with the judicial system or other board members are non-factors....”


SANDRINE


“Really?! Well that is excellent news!” He enthuses. Of course it is! “So how does it work? I would like just a quick snapshot of what she is…”


“The work of the board is privy to board members only. You understand? As for the applicants, well they are drawn by secret ballot by an independent person, most likely the chief bailiff of the court. And…”


“So…”


“David, this conversation would go quicker if you would stop interrupting me.” I declare, and wait for his embarrassed nod to continue. “And then the board members are advised. Yes, we see candidates in advance, but the choice is not ours to make. Now if you could excuse me, I really do have to get to my meeting.”


“Oh, yes of course. Have a good meeting!” 


Ten minutes later, I am stifling my giggles in the bathroom. What a sycophantic pompous ass! As if I am not ahead of the game on that score! Of course Lindsay will get on the board, and so will Nancy, but not in the capacity that they think...oh yes, I have plans for them!


EOHOPS HOUSE - NEXT DAY


MATTHIAS


She sits down quietly and looks around. “Just him?” 


“Yes.” I reply, and clutch the drink tightly.


“And how have you been handling this before?” 


I hang my head. “I would get someone in to clean…” She snorts. “...I know.” I shift a little on the sofa. Lionel told me what he thought about that a couple of  nights back, and I can still feel it.


“Which room is mine and his? And can we open a window?” 


I do so and rejoin her. “He’s currently in the one with the en suite…”


“That changes. I need my privacy...”


“Okay.” I look into my glass for a few seconds, then feel her lifting my chin. I sigh then swallow. “What if…”


“Matthias, he is coming here as a favour for Claire. He won’t…” Edna is stopped by the door knocking. “...doesn’t he have a key?”


“Yes.” I frown. “Let me go check who it is.” I head to the door and find myself staring at a tall black man with a duffle. “Can I help you?”


“Is Edna Fey here?” 


“Who wants to know?” I ask.


“Her son, Carlton.” He smiles at me. “Boy you look alike. Can I come in then?”


“Uh, Edna!” I call out and she gasps as she comes down the hall. “Is this your son?”


“Yes. Let him in. I have just had an idea!” My mind a whirl as we join her in the lounge...how do I call Slick to warn her?! “Matthias, hey sweetheart, come on back!” 


“Sorry. I um, why are you here now, Carlton? Before you answer that, who looks alike? You said that just…”


“You and Slick. As for the here, here...” He hands me over an envelope with my name on it, in Slick’s handwriting. “...she said you wouldn’t believe me, so…”


I tear it open and read the contents, my fear receding with each word. “You...I am reading this correctly...you’ve signed over your rights?!” 


“Yes. When Claire told me what she did for her and what they are trying to do to Slick, it was a no brainer.” Carlton grins and Edna looks so proud. “She is a cutie though. Oh, did you tell them about the…” Edna nods looking even prouder. “So what’s the idea, Mom?”


“They share.” Edna chuckles.


“Share? And who is…” I gape at her. “...move him in? Are you serious?! Why?!”


“Because me being here is going to be bad enough. When she finds out that he is my son, well…”


“Wow. All I have is wow.” I stammer.


“Does wow mean yes?” Carlton leans back smiling wider.


“Yes, it means yes.”


BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S HUNTSMAN CABIN - LATE EVENING


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


Brian looks skeptical, but does lie down on the black fur rug, resting his head on the pillow. We are wearing silk boxers; whilst he has a shirt on, I do not. “So we are doing what with those?” He gestures at the headphones and iPod. 


“ASMR.” I reply, picking up the blindfold.


“What is it and why do you need that?” He looks slightly nervous.


“Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response...or ASMR for short...is a feeling of well-being combined with a tingling sensation. Sometimes in the scalp and/or the back of the neck, as a response to a specific gentle stimulus, often a particular sound…” I stop his question with a kiss. “...and I want to see if you can be stimulated elsewhere.” I spot the second he is on board with the idea. “So I want you to relax and get comfortable.” He settles himself then nods. “Put them on and I will handle the rest.”


“What’s the rest? And what about the boys?” He frowns before looking sheepish. “Sorry.”


“The boys, as you well know, are in with Emmett in his cabin up the way,. They are fine, we will see them tomorrow. May I continue to seduce you?”


“Well if you had led with I am going to seduce you with ASMR, I would’ve been quiet much...shutting up!” 


“Thank you.” I roll my eyes at the queening over his beloved boys he continues to do even after all this time. It's a good thing I am not the jealous type! “So, blindfold on…” I hand it to him. “...am going to dim the lights, be right back.” The dimness and the thought of watching his response starts to get to me and I have to calm myself down. “Now…” I resume my position. “...we will start in a minute. I want you squeeze my hand when the sound changes or you hear something else, then tell me what you are hearing okay? And if you are right I will squeeze back.”


“Sure.” I press play and for a few seconds his forehead creases as he tries to work out the noise. “Is that a show...no, it’s rain, heavy rain.” I squeeze. “It sounds, sounds like it is falling through trees...is this here? Did you record this here?” I squeeze, his voice is low and he sinks further into the pillow. “I love it when it rains and we’re inside…” He squeezes. “...breathing, I hear breathing, it's you...oh my god.” He licks his lips. “...are we kissing? Yeah, we are. You give that little snort when you need air, but don’t want to stop.” I smile as his lips tremble. “Kiss me.” He murmurs so I do, then he squeezes. “A popping sound...what is that?” I feather his lips and reach down to his shirt. “Oh, you are such a delicious devil...is it this one?” I squeeze and continue to pop his denim shirt open. “Oh, what were you doing, is that your mouth on me?!” He gasps and I squeeze. “Because that is me moaning...right there, right there, right where?!” He pants and squirms. “I can't believe how...wait, that was...was the sound of a zip going down.” I squeeze. “You hadn’t touched my co...oh god, you were rimming me! That’s the sound of your tongue on my ass...oh Christ, Justin!” 


A fine sheen of sweat coats his chest and his boxers are damp with pre-cum. “Yes, yes I want you to touch!” He yelps and I grin, pleased that I added that whisper in. I wrap my hand around his throbbing member, but on the outside. I want him to hear the sound of me thrusting into him, whilst jerking him off at the same time. “Yes, oh yes!” He keens and wriggles, I hiss as he grips my hand really hard. I pull back, he lets go. “Feels, sounds, oh shit!” He rips the blindfold off then slumps down. Hazel eyes lock onto blue and he pants, moans and gasps. “So doing this to...gnnnnh!” He pumps into my hand, leaving his boxers saturated, the vein in his neck pulsing and his eyes glazed. “Water.” He whispers, slowly pulling the headphones off. When I return he is staring at the ceiling, his breath slowing. 


“Can you sit up? If not, I brought a straw.” Slowly he turns his head, starts to sit up then stops. “Here you go.” I put the straw in his mouth and he finishes it without pause. “Another?” He nods. As I head to the kitchen, I hear him sigh then the soft slap of his feet on the floor. “You okay?”


“That was one of the best things ever!” He murmurs, wrapping his arms around me. “I can’t believe you didn’t cum.”


“This was all about you. I know you’ve been worrying about Michael coming back at us.” I turn in his arms. “We’re ready for him, and…” His kiss silences me, it takes a few minutes to recognise that the landline is ringing. 


“Who the hell is it at this time of night?!” I grumble, snatching it up. “Taylor...oh, hi, Slick! Is everything...what? Slow down!” Brian sits next to me looking concerned, his expression darkens when I begin to cry.


“Give me that!” He grabs the phone. “Slick, what’s going on?!”


BRIAN


It’s been five minutes. Five minutes since we have heard the best news ever!


“So what is she going to do now?” Justin asks, handing me a glass of champagne.


“Speak to Casper, Lynette, Mel and Kimberely.” I reply, clinking glasses with him. 


“Surely not about dropping this?!”


“No, of course not, but they need to make sure there is nowhere but ruination for him.”


“Them.”


“Yes, them.” I kiss my gorgeous husband, then chuckle when I hear the rain against the window. “I think hearing the rain, especially here, will make me hard from now on.” We watch the drops slide down the windows in happy silence.


“Come on, let’s go out to the hot tub.” Justin announces.


“The outside one?” I gape at him. Now that we own this place we have a hot tub indoors as well. “It is raining.” I point out.


“Which is why it has a retractable cover. We can light the torches and put them under the awning, so that is is toasty warm. The warmth of those and the sound of the rain drum...”


“Get the matches!” I order, and dash outside.


CAMERON-PETERSON RESIDENCE - SATURDAY LUNCHTIME


NANCY


“David, will you hurry? You were the one who wanted this to happen!” I call up the stairs for the second time.


“Actually, I wanted dinner and it to be here. So how, once again, is it lunch at their house?” He grumbles adjusting his tie.


“As I said to you, by the time I finished with the EOHOPSA application, it was a lot later than I thought. Then when I called to invite them, she said they are flying to New York on Sunday morning first thing, and…” I pause. “...I think we should go on a trip. We don’t go anywhere.”


“After the fundraiser, definitely, darling, this is taking up all of my time.”


“Good. I will hold you to that. So anyway, she suggested lunch at hers instead as they are going away for two weeks.”


“Hmm. Right, let’s go then.” 


I am not sure what the hmm is about, but I am so looking forward to reasserting our authority, he is so right, their disrespect towards us needs to end. Just because I don’t see her as my child, this does not preclude them from treating us with the respect a mother and stepfather deserve.


PETERSON-MARCH RESIDENCE - 90 MINUTES LATER


NANCY


Oh, how I resent her! I take in her home, which is almost twice the size of David’s. I link my arm into his and we walk up the path, I take in the perfectly clipped grass and the flowers. Before we can knock, the door is opened. Oliver is chewing something, so waves us in. I pull David to a stop and wait for Oliver to stop chewing. “Lynette! They’re are here, kitchen or lounge?!”


“Lounge, darling!” She calls back.


“You heard my wife.” He declares, fuming, we head that way but on entering are brought up short. “Okay, we’re almost all here, drinks, Mr and Mrs Cameron-Peterson? Oh, is Lindsay coming soon?”


“Lindsay? Uh...no, she is visiting a friend. Um, Lynette, I thought this was lunch between family?”


“No, this was always going to happen, but after your demanding phone call, I thought I might as well tack you on. What drinks do you require?”


Tack us on?! 


“Sandrine, I didn’t expect to see you here.” David declares.


“Why would you?.” She returns. “Nancy, you are looking radiant. Marriage suits you.”


“Thank you. You look lovely too. No Philip?” 


“In the garden, and judging by that expression, he has won him around! I am getting both dogs!” 


“As if there was any doubt!” Oliver laughs. “For such a shit hot attorney, he goes to pieces in the face of a puppy! So, to drink?” 


“We will have what everyone else is having.” I reply, having spotted an open bottle of Barolo on the side. It is one of my favourites.


“Have a seat, won’t be long.” Oliver declares but is back quickly. “Here you go.” He hands me a glass with ice in it. “We're on gin and tonic.” 


“I am driving.” David states. “But I can have…”


“Tonic. Got it.” He smirks, and serves our drinks. 


“How long till we eat? And what are we having?” I enquire.


“When the take out arrives, should be another twenty minutes. So what did you want to talk about?” Lynette settles next to Oliver, but before I can say anything, Ronald and Philip come in.


My heart skips a beat. Despite him telling Ronald and Sandrine, I still yearn for him. Not only for the physicality...and to be honest, David is a little too quick for me...but for the status. He is just so much more, and over time I would’ve made him mine and mine alone.


“Nancy. David. How lovely.” Ronald smirks as he helps himself to the wine. “Kimmy, do you want Barolo too?”


“Please!” Is shouted back, and I seethe that she is here as well. And on top of that I don’t actually like gin and tonic! And Ronald knows that! My flames are fanned further when she comes in and cuts her eyes at us. “Any allergies or dietary requirements?” 


“I can eat anything.” David replies.


“Obviously.” She replies, glancing at me. “Nancy, what about you?”


“I don’t have either of those.” I retort, the doorbell forestalls what I am about to say next. Ronald goes to answer it and I hear excited voices. “Who else is coming?”


“My friends, well they are more family.” Lynette returns. When the guests come in, I stiffen as I recognise one immediately. He was in the diner, when I went looking for that Phoenix woman, but the other three I don't know and don’t like being on the back foot! “Let me introduce you to…”


“I am Nancy, her mother, and this David, her stepfather. And you are?”


“Twinkle.” He replies coolly before bending down to kiss Samdrine’s cheek. “You are getting both, right, Aunt Sandy?” He grins whilst I reel, Aunt Sandy! “You lose, mister!” He crows, returning to the side of the man he came in with. “This is my husband, Grimm. This is Trey and this, his husband, Casper.”


Although I am cringing at the use of the word husband to describe their status, it is David’s expression that puzzles me. He looks like he has seen a ghost, and judging by that look not a very unfriendly one!


EOHOPS HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


MASTER BEDROOM


MICHAEL


This is so unfair! I had this room just so and now I have to move to another one!


“But Matthias, surely it would be best to have the new person in the other room? Why do I have to move out?”


“Because...as I said before, they need the support rails that the ensuite has, and you don’t.” I am about to argue that point when the door is knocked upon. “Can you get that please, Michael?” 


I head downstairs and open the door to a smiling Lindsay. “What’s making you so happy?”


“What’s making you so grumpy?” She returns, striding in. “Well?”


“I have to move out.”


“Of the house? Where are you going to go?” She looks worried.


“No, just my room.” I snap, annoyed by her panicked then relieved expression.


“Why?”


“I am getting company, two more people are moving in.” I move closer to her. “I am not happy about this! But hopefully I can get rid of them!”


“Michael, you can’t do that!” She gasps. “Imagine if someone did that to you!”


“Why would they? I am a decent guy.” 


“Who was it?” Matthias calls down.


“Lindsay!” I call back.


“Oh great! Give me a few!”


I rankle at the delighted expression on her face. “He’s gay and almost mine, remember?!”


“Hey, Lindsay!” Matthias exclaims as he comes down the stairs. “Now, you are just the person I was going to call. Well, ask you to speak to your Mother.”


“My Mother? Why?” She frowns.


“Well she has applied to the board too, as you know. And the EOHOPSA runs a buddy system, so I was wondering if you could persuade your Mother to buddy up with my newest resident. And I was hoping that Michael could buddy up with the guy who is coming.”


I seethe but she smiles. “I am sure that will be fine, Matthias. For both Mother and Michael. When are they coming?”


“I have to go to the store before I pick them up. Is it a terrible imposition of me to ask if you could come with me? I don’t know anything about lady things, well apart from soap.”


“Of course! Michael, you move your stuff in the interim.” She orders.


“Yes, Michael, you do that. Make yourself nice and comfortable in the back bedroom. Now, where are my keys?” He searches his pockets.


“Is that them?” Lindsay points to the mantle.


“Yes! Thanks. So, Michael, the cleaning products are under the sink in both the kitchen and the main bathroom. See you in about an hour!”


TWO HOURS LATER


LINDSAY


I giggle as I recall the incredulous look on Michael’s face. He had to clean the bathroom again, as Matthias wasn’t happy with it. Well, eventually with persuasion he wasn’t. Nor was he happy with the dishes in the sink or the overflowing bins. Which again, he had Michael fix. However, the bedroom is now set perfectly. I am waiting for Matthias to come back and greet Michael’s roomies. As for him, he's sulked off to a comic book store as soon as he could. I hear the car and make my way to the kitchen and click on the kettle, then freeze, my mouth dry, my stomach boiling. 


“No, it can’t be?! What the hell is he doing here?!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.