- Text Size +

CHAPTER 2 - HOW TWO BECAME THREE X TWO

 

SLICK

 

“She’s going to combust.” I nod at Debs and he sheepishly hands her over. Justin is calling Jennifer, demanding that she and Molly come over right now because she is is not going to believe it.

 

“How the hell did you manage to keep it quiet?!” Mel gasps. “Especially from Debs, she knows everything!”

 

“Well almost. Oh, she is adorable!” Debs gently strokes Annabeth’s cheek. “Her eyes are so dark and that frown! So how old is she? She can’t be more than 2 years old.”

 

“No, 19 months. We’ve had her for six months…”

 

“Six?!” Brian exclaims and gapes at me. “How the fu...fudge!”

 

“Udge!” Annabeth declares; I glare at him and Justin smacks him around the head.

 

“Is she why you were away?!” Debs gasps and we nod. “You said you were moving house!”

 

“We did.” Lindon explains. “We moved for her.”

 

“You're not mad are you? You understand why?” I look anxiously around at my family. “If it helps ease any craziness or crankiness, you are the second set of people to see her.” There are frowns. “Her grandparents had to be first...especially my Mom.”

 

“Of course we’re not, Slick! We’re just stunned and delighted..absolutely delighted!” Brian sweeps me into a hug and I blink back tears of relief

 

We turn to the knocking on the door and see the grinning face of Ems. Oh, how I have missed him. He has turned into a raging success, and spends most of his time in New York and California now. Unfortunately, he and Idaho split up, as he wanted to settle down, but Ems needed to grow his business, which worked out great for Idaho as he met his now fiance at one of the functions and is moving to, ironically, Idaho!

 

“Hi, what is with the all siren ca…” He trails off as Mel opens the door and just points at Debs and Annabeth. “...all. Who is that? Who’s is that? What’s her name? Can I hold her?” He says all of this amazingly quietly and Annabeth is looking at the source of the noise at first in confusion but then Ems grins and she grins back. “Give me my godchild.”

 

“Annabeth, and I’ve only just got a hold of my granddaughter, and grandmother beats godfather!” Debs retorts quietly.

 

“And mother will beat the pair of you if you don’t behave!” I chide them; all they do is grin soppily at me. “Five minutes, Debs, and then she goes to Ems.”

 

“Deal! Now explain.” Ems orders as he sits down and sets the timer on his phone, I kiss his cheek. “I have missed you too.”

 

“So, we were always going to have kids, yes even at my advanced age I’m good to go! But what with the emporium expansion there just has not been the time. And when Elsbeth suggested we look at adopting instead, well, it made perfect sense.”

 

“Is it a private adoption?” Mel asks, still staring at Annabeth in awe.

 

“Not totally. It is in the fact that the mother has given up her rights. The father is unknown, but it is public in that we will let Annabeth know where to find information about her mother, but only Annabeth. We aren’t privy to that. All we know about the mother is that she is healthy and...and in prison.”

 

For a while nobody speaks, and I look across at Lindon, who nods and smiles. “Annabeth’s mother is in medium security and was just over three months when she went in. As soon as Annabeth was born, she rejected her.” Ems starts to tear up and Brian gives him a hug. “But there is enough love for her not to miss that.”

 

“Absolutely! Oh my goodness, what about Gus and Jenny...they are going to be so excited!” Mel gasps. “We have to have a surprise party! When are they back from camp?”

 

“In two days. Molly can't wait for them to come back and start school together. Gus is, of course, pretending to be mortified!” Lucy chuckles.

 

“Five minutes are up. Now, grandmother, hand her over!” Ems demands

 

“Oh, alright, but I am setting the timer and calling Carl!”

 

“Hey, sweetums, my name is Emmett, but you can call me Auntie Ems.”

 

“Mannam!” Annabeth burbles.

 

“Close enough!” Ems sniffs.

 

OUTSIDE OHIO WOMEN’S CORRECTIONAL FACILITY - THREE DAYS LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

I inhale fresh free air! I look around, at first disappointed to see nobody to greet me, but then I here a beep of a horn and see David getting out of the car and approach smiling somewhat nervously.

 

“David! How lovely to see you! How have you…”

 

“Lindsay, darling!” I jolt at the singsong tones of Mother as she gets out of the car and strides towards us smiling. “It is so lovely to see you out of that horrible place!”

 

“Mother! What a surprise! It is great that we have been freed from bondage at the same time.”

 

“Not quite the same time. I had my sentence reduced, remember?”

 

“Yes, of course.” I grimace at her oneupmanship. “So…” I head to the car. “...as lovely as it is to see you, David and I have to catch up, so where are we dropping you off?” I frown as he opens the rear passenger seat for me and she gets in the front seat.

 

“We are dropping you off darling. You need your rest.”

 

“Nancy, perhaps we should…” David begins as he get in the car.

 

“Yes, we should.” She turns in the seat to face me. “Now don't get upset, darling, but these things happen…”

 

“What things happen?” I retort.

 

“We spent time together, and the more time we spent, the more our feelings grew and blossomed. Then, of course, with the divorce from your father, it made things easier for us.”

 

“Mother what are you talking about? I really just want to get home and have a bath.”

 

“I got married again. David is your stepfather. Aren’t you happy for me?!”

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.