- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - ALL ABOARD!


MICHAEL


I grab onto the door handle, swallowing hard. “Say that again, please. You’ve done what with it?”


“Disposed of it. Matthias threw it in the bin for us as he left.” Richard looks worriedly at me. “I take it you are in need of them now? Let me run to the pharmacy, I will be as quick as I can. Go to the bathroom and stay there!” I stagger inside and shut the door. “Carlton, I know he is undeserving, but could you keep an eye on him? Oh, and the final resident is coming shortly.”


“Yeah, okay. Should I let them in, will they be with Matthias?” 


“No. Miranda is bringing her. Won’t be long, Michael!” Richard yells, as he thunders down the stairs.


After I hear the door bang shut, I sit down on the side of the bath. Gone. It is all gone! I know it’s not Matthias’s fault, but why would they throw something like that away?!


“Novotny, are you alright? You’ve not passed out or anything, have you?!” 


“No, just leave me alone!” 


“Wow, you really are a disagreeable wretch!” Carlton snaps. “Bet you weren’t like that in prison! Perhaps when you go and see your doctor, you can get him to give you something for that nasty personality as well!”


Doctor?! Oh crap, I need to speak to Cameron before they do! I keep trying him for the next ten minutes, but it keeps rolling to voicemail, and I daren’t leave a message. I am about to try Lindsay when the door knocks.


“Michael? Michael, it’s Richard, I have some for you. I didn't know what size to get, so got you large and extra large. I will leave them outside for you, please remember to update your list with them. When you are finished, come downstairs and I will sit with you whilst you make the calls you need.”


I can hear Carlton laughing long after he shuts his bedroom door.


SANDRINE’S HOUSE - MID-MORNING


OFFICE


PHILIP


I am reading his EOHOPS papers. “So there has been no offer of restitution from either of them?” I look up at Brian and Justin, both shake their heads. “Well that is going to change very quickly. Sandy, can you come in here a second?!”


“Yes, sweetie.” She comes in with a tray of mini financiers, cupcakes and florentines. “Ems popped these off. He’s on his way to talk fundraiser food with George.” Immediately Justin takes one, before putting another in his mouth. We wait for him to finish. “Good?”


“Hmmm.” He looks so happy, but then not so much when Brian moves the tray out of reach.


“Focus, then feed.” He orders with a smile.


“When the board meets to discuss the Novotny transgressions, the restitution must be demanded and taken out of his payments. Any idea what they are?”


“No, but Jennifer would. Does the same apply to Lindsay?”


“She is supported by her mother and stepfather…” That makes us all reflex shudder. “...so we would come to them. What about the mother, has she made an offer to Slick?”


“Let me check with her, won’t be long.” She heads out and is back in minutes, talking on her phone. She is smiling and smiling big. “Okay, Slick, thank you. I will tell them to come to you afterwards, no problem.”


“Take it she hasn't done that either?” Brian chuckles before taking pity on a trying-to-make-the-financier-last Justin and handing him a cupcake. “Why does she want to see us?”


“She didn’t say, but said no rush.” She pockets her phone just before it rings. “Oh, it's Miranda from the board, how fortuitous!” She trills and heads outside to speak to her.


“What’s going on?” Justin asks.


“Oh, a little matter of settling in the newest member of the EOHOPS House and board by a certain keen wannabe board member.” I laugh.


MONTEFIORE HOSPITAL - AN HOUR LATER


GEORGE’S OFFICE


EMMETT


I watch the video in silence. Although I had agreed to cater this, I haven’t seen the venue. It is utterly gorgeous! “Will it do?” George looks worried.


“Of course it will!” I exclaim. “Now, apart from the time to show me this, what could possibly take another two hours?” 


“Lunch at The Melting Pot with me.” He declares. My mouth drops open. “I said it when I met you, you are running yourself ragged. Now come…” He takes my jacket off the chair and holds it out for me. “...I am determined to slow you down and fatten you up!”


Now normally, I only take this kind of barracking and bullying from two people: Slick and Brian, but...as I slide my jacket on and he straightens out my collar, I find I don’t mind. I don't mind at all.


CAMERON-PETERSON RESIDENCE - SAME TIME


OFFICE


NANCY


I will not give her the satisfaction of showing my displeasure that she is going to be ‘tested’ first. “At least it is in a good part of town, and you know the house residents.” I smile tightly.


“Yes, that is a relief. When did they say you would be showing a…” We both frown when the doorbell rings. “...want me to get that?”


“I am not expecting anybody. David is out, you didn't say they should come here first, did you?”


“Of course not!” She retorts, then her phone beeps and she looks astonished. “I don’t believe it. It’s Lynette. She hasn't called me since I was released.”


“What does it say?” I gesture for her phone. She puts it away with a scowl, I quietly fume.


“I will let you know of anything pertinent when I read it.” The doorbell rings again. “Let me go and see…”


“This is my and David’s house, remember? You are a guest, I will go and see who it is!” I stalk to the door muttering darkly. Composing myself somewhat, I open it and find myself staring at Elspbeth Miller-Fox! “What are you doing here?!” I gasp.


“May I come in?” She enquires coldly. I step aside, as she is more than happy to discuss this on the doorstep! “Is your child here as well?”


“If you are referring to Lindsay, then yes she is, but is on her way out.”


“To say the least. This is for both of you, I do not wish to enter further into this den of thieves, so could you tell her to come out.”


“How dare you speak to me and about my daughter like that in my home? Get out! Whatever you want to say can be said via attorneys. I am sure Sandrine could lend you her husband!” 


“It is because of her husband that I am here...ah, Ms Peterson, as I was saying, Philip St Bride has apprised my family of something remiss. I have been asked to convey a message to you both. You will come to a restitution agreement with Slick Phoenix, either willingly or court mandated. The same goes for Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney where you are concerned, Ms Peterson. Their attorneys will be in touch. However, since you, Nancy, have a nice rich and young husband, perhaps you can use the charms to get him to persuade him to pay Ms Phoenix; and you, Lindsay, could reverse emulate your mother and find an elderly gentleman to marry...”


“You didn't need to come here and tell us that, like that.” Lindsay whispers.


“And miss out on those expressions? No way!” She laughs. “I will see myself out.”


PHOENIX RISING DOWNTOWN - TEN MINUTES LATER


BREAK ROOM


GRIMM


“So, despite our best efforts, we couldn’t get a clear shot of him. Also, because the ring has been handled by other people, we can’t get any prints. But you are 100% sure that this belongs to Debs?” I ask Slick who nods whilst I bounce Annabee on my knees. “If only there was a way to prove that he has the...seriously, what is wrong with you, Lamb?!” He has been grinning since he got here ten minutes ago.


“Did you know that Novotny has a weak bladder and needs pull ups?” 


“No, and eww, why would we need to know that?!” Slick admonishes him.


“Because one of the board members spotted them in his drawer and they weren’t on his list, so they had to be disposed of. They asked me to do it as I was going to check that he had dumped the stuff properly as he blocked the toilet.” 


“Seriously, brother, I will swat you and not in a good way!” Slick growls, standing over him.


“Okay, okay!” He rolls into a ball covering his head. Peeking out, he slowly uncurls, once she takes a step back. “I thought it felt weird, like used...ouch!” He yelps as Slick quickly kicks him in his ankle. “How is that a swat?!” He grumbles, rubbing it vigorously. “By that I meant this.” He opens the bag he brought with him, and pulls out the offending package. “So where do you think he got that from?”


“How much is in there?!” I gasp, handing Annabee over to Slick so that I can count it. After doing it twice, I whistle. “Just under $6,000. Let me call the pawnbroker again.”


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


SLICK


I have just got off the phone with Mel whilst Grimm was talking to the pawnbroker. We’ve got him, we’ve got Michael! But she wants us to hold back on saying anything. He’s not going anywhere. And he’s made another mistake...he’s named Cameron as his doctor, which was immediately picked up by the EOHOPS Board since he specialises in O&G, but Cameron has tightened the net around himself...as he has confirmed that Michael is registered through his private practice!


EOHOPS HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


KITCHEN


EDNA


I have just woken from my nap. When I was brought here by Miranda, the place was empty, I know Carlton had gone to school, I am so proud of him. Miranda has given me background on my fellow residents. Safe to say she’s not a fan of one in particular. Matthias has just left with the papers signed and her singing my praises.


I see my other roomie coming down the path, looking pleased. In fact, it looks like he is whistling. I take a seat next to the island and wait.


“Matthias?! Carlton?! Are you guys in?!”


“No they are not, but I am!” I call out, and he steps into the kitchen with a frown. “Hello there, you must be Michael Novotny?”


“I am, and you are?”


“Edna Fey.” Neither of us put out our hands, he looks away first though. “So I understand you are responsible for this and the bathroom.” 


“Is that what Carlton told you?” He sighs. “No, I am not. It was…”


“Matthias told me.” I interrupt.


“Did he say you could call him that?” He demands.


“Did he say you could?” I counter. “As did Miranda.”


“As did Miranda what?” He scowls. 


“Said that you are responsible for the mess. You clogged up the upstairs john as well.” I stand up, smirking when he tries and fails to stop backing away as I tower over him, I am six foot after all. “I have three rules in my house, apart from being respectful of people and their things. You wash what you use, put back what you move, and clean what you make dirty.”


“This isn’t your home.” Michael sneers.


“Wherever I sit my ass, that’s my home. Now go and clean the mess you made.” He looks at me for three seconds before turning heel and heading back to the front door. “You will face the consequences of not doing it.”


“I am now a free man. I may be constructed by some of these stupid rules, but I will not be bussed about by you!” He snipes. “If you want it cleaned up so badly, then you do it.”


“Constrained and bossed is what you mean.” I correct him, I smile as I see Miranda coming up the path. “Miranda is here, and she’s bought someone with her.“ I block his attempt to go out the back. “Open it.” I indicate the front. Finally defeated, he does as he is told. “Hi, Miranda and friend.”


“Hi, Edna, allow me to introduce you to Lindsay Peterson. She is hoping to join the EOHOPS board along with you.” Whilst we both look surprised by this announcement, Lindsay looks as pale as death. “Yes, Edna, I was talking to Jennifer Taylor, whilst she liked your idea, Lindsay, of having an ex-prisoner on the board, it was felt that Edna’s more empathetic style, would be best suited to that newly created position.” She looks in the kitchen and sighs. “However, I do believe you can show some mettle and get Michael to clean up the messes he has left.”


I chuckle and Lindsay goes paler, if that were possible. “You know, I think that Ms Peterson is just the person to whip him into shape.”


“Good, good. Now, Edna, please come with me and I shall explain the role to you.”


“With pleasure.”


“Oh, and Lindsay, once the place is cleaned to your impeccable standards, come and join us, so we can strategise. Okay?”

 

All she does bob her head.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.