- Text Size +

CHAPTER 25 - JUDGEMENT AND HIS FOLLY


CAMERON-PETERSON RESIDENCE - FOUR HOURS LATER


KITCHEN


NANCY


I look down at my wedding ring and hear his snarking words. Reaching in the fridge for the bottle of wine, I pour a large glass. I hate her so much! When I saw Lynette at the hospital with Sandrine, I called out to her, little knowing what humiliation she would heap at my door. I check my phone. Still no response from Lindsay, where the hell is she?!


MEL AND LUCY’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LUCY


She hasn’t said anything, just stared into space. “Say something.” Mel touches her arm gently. “Lynette, say something.”


“This is real?” She whispers. “The...they believe me?”


“Yes.” Oliver answers for us. “Yes, they do. Your statement, together with Casper’s and Twinkle’s photo evidence is enough to levy charges.” He takes her hand. “It is going to be tough from this point onwards, his word against yours, and then there’s the lack of physical evidence; but you are a strong and…”


“My dress!” She gasps. “Would that help?!”


“Dress?” Mel echoes. “What dress?”


“The one I was wearing. I...I still have it.” She shudders slightly. “He was…” She is interrupted by the doorbell being leant on. 


“I’ll get it!” Gus calls out from the kitchen.


“Thanks, sweetie!” I call back. He and Jenny have been making dinner. They are absolutely whizzes in the kitchen.


“What do you want?!” Gus snaps, and I head to see who it is.


“Let me in, Gus.” The hoighty tones of Lindsay float towards me. We do not need this today! “Lucy, tell him to let me in!”


“And why would I do that?!” I demand, trying not to smile at Gus’s positioning all his weight behind the door, should she feel like storming the Alamo. 


“Because I need to speak to Mel.”


“And what do you need to speak to my fiance about?” I sneer. “Whatever it is will have to wait. She is busy right now, and…”


“Lindsay, what the hell are you doing here?!” Mel snaps from the lounge door.


“I need to speak to you about a private matter. Mel, please.”


“Mom?” Gus looks over his shoulder at her then frowns. “Mom? What?” 


“Let her in.” Mel replies. “You had better not be fucking with me, Lindsay!”


“I’m not, I swear. Is there somewhere we can talk for a moment?” She replies, and I look at her, really look at her. She looks odd. “Please. You can have Lucy there if you want, but I need to speak to you!”


STUDY - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I wring my hands and try to compose myself. 


“Well, that was a fun conversation!” Mel snaps. “You have once again shown your…”


“What is the statute of limitations on sexual assault?” I blurt out, disbelieving that I am having this conversation.


“Two years from the date of the assault.” Mel looks worried. “Or up to the age of fifty of the victim. Why?”


“Good. Good, we’re within time. Thank you, Mel, sorry to have disturbed your day.” I gather my things and blink back sudden tears. 


“Lindsay, why do you need to know this?” Mel stands in front of me. “Oh god, no!” She gasps. “When?!”


“No, no, not me. Not me. Some...someone else…” I hiccup. “I need to call her, need to speak, to say sorry…to say I didn't know, I didn’t!” 


“You didn't know what? Who do you need to speak to?!” Mel exclaims. “Lucy, get her a brandy, please.”


“No, no, I can't go there with booze on my breath, she won't believe me, understandably. She will think that it is another WASP play…” I accept the tissue and wipe my eyes. “...I need to be clear headed…” I pull out my compact and check my face. “I need to reapply before I face the other person in this sorry tale…” I look at my watch. “...may I make a call here, then I will go?” Mel nods and I pull out my phone and dial the number. Lucy comes back in with a glass of brandy, and I hear a phone ring. “Sorry…” I whisper. “...I didn't realise you had…”


“Hello, Lindsay, nice of you to finally return my call!” Floats down the hallway. All three of us look at each other. “Hello?! Lindsay, are you there?!”


“Lynette!” I call out. “Why are you here?!” She steps into the hallway, looking as confused as me. “What…” I begin before I start sobbing. “...why didn’t you tell me?! Why?!”


“Tell you what?” She demands, then her eyes widen. “She told you, did she?!” 


“Yes, she did.” I sniff. “But she didn’t realise she did, which is why I wanted to speak to Mel. We can still report it. There is no way, no way whilst I live and breathe, that he walks alive after that!”


“What is your game? And how does mother not realise she told you?”


“Ga...Mother, what do you mean mother? I am talking about Sophia West! She told me, well, she was gossiping with her fellow crone. I was on the other side of the foliage. And...and she dismissed the attack with the words, it's not as if he went all the way, she got away with a torn dress and her virtue intact. Some women make more of things than they are. Like Nancy said, she presented him with the opportunity, and, okay, she has grown into her looks and is what we would call, handsome, but Lynnette should be grateful for any attention!  She doesn’t have the beauty or the fecundity of Lindsay. That has always been a source of pride to Nancy, that Lindsay carries the line…”


“Wow.” Lucy growls. “I am going to rip her eyes out!”


“No, leave that to me.” I shake my head. “Lynette, can you tell me who it was, and maybe with David’s help, we can find him?”


“Are you kidding me?!”  Mel shouts, making me jump. 


“What are you shouting at me for?!” I yell back.


“She’s married to him!” Lucy bellows.


“You motherfucking bastard!” I scream and launch myself at Oliver as he comes out of the lounge. “I am going to kill you!”


“Lindsay, what the hell?!” Oliver grabs my wrists and pins them to my side. “What is wrong with you?!”


“You assaulted her and then waited until she could forget and married her, you miserable excuse for a cunt of a dick. Let me go at your peril! I will kill you or die trying!”


“Not Oliver, David!” Lynette yells. I go limp and stare at her stupefied. “David did it.”


WHOLEFOODS - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


DAVID


Oh, I see now. I see clearly. I watch them walk out, hand in hand with their shopping. Justin leads, he follows. They don't see me. My phone buzzing startles me, but I smile when I see who it is. “Michael, how are you? I am so glad you called, there is a slight change of plans. I don't want Justin anymore. I want Brian, I want him to be a quivering subservient little sub at my feet!”


EOHOPS HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


EDNA


“This is not a joke.” I regard her, she doesn't look away. “You are serious?”


“We are never going to be friends. I am deadly serious. And I am begging you, Edna, help me!”


“Okay, tell me everything, Lindsay, but heed this: you fucking with me is a bad idea!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks.