- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - CIRCLING 


EDNA


I look up at the sound of the back gate opening, and see Carlton coming through with Matthias. They are laughing about something. “Let’s go to my room.” Lindsay silently follows.


BEDROOM


“Have a seat and let me see if I have this correct.” She looks like she is going to cry, but I am not totally taken in. “Your Mother has married the attempted rapist of your sister. Does she know about that?”


“About the at...attack? Yes. As to it being him, I am not sure.” She dabs her eyes.


“How could she not know? Surely she was introduced to him when they started dating?” She frowns. “Like I said, playing me a bad…”


“No! I am not, I promise you! I am trying to remember if we ever met any of Lynette’s boyfriends before. I mean, she never introduced them until it got serious, it wasn’t that often, and then from 16 onwards she hardly dated.”


“Hmm. What about your father, does he know about this?”


“No, I don't think so. We’re not close anymore, because I have been such a disappointment.”


“To say the least!” I snap. “Go and get cleaned up!”


“But...”


“Novotny is coming back. Isn't he going to wonder why you are here and crying, then try and make something out of it that it is not?” She rushes out. I follow, listening to the chattering of Matthias and Carlton, then ponder what is taking Novotny so long. Heading back to my room, I look down at him, he’s listening at the window to the lounge. “Hello, Michael!” I bellow as I throw open my window. “What are you doing?!”


The window is shut and the back door opened. “Yes, Michael, what were you doing?!” Matthias demands.


“Nothing, I had just stopped to catch my breath!” 


“Were you exercising?” I query, leaning against the wall. “I wouldn't have thought that slow walk whilst reading the comic would’ve expended that much energy.” He glowers at me. “Lindsay’s here.” Matthias frowns. “Met her up the street, we came through the front. She is using the bathroom, I think. Not sure what she was coming for though.”


“Um, okay, let’s meet in the dining room, shall we?” Matthias calls up and I nod. 


LINDSAY


I scrutinise my reflection. Yes, I look exactly like my normal self, but then every time I blink, I see Lynette’s face. The fear, the shame, and the...the distrust when I said I am going to get someone to help us get him…


Start of flashback

MEL AND LUCY’S STUDY


LINDSAY


“David?!” I gasp, it is just the two of us. “But…I mean...but…”


“Yes, him. He is the reason that I was frigid, and Oliver is the reason I am not.” I sit down, and, on spotting the remains of my brandy, finish it. “So there you have it, why I detest him.”


“Why are you here?” I frown as she and Mel never spoke much when we were together.


“They’re getting married, we're discussing weddings.” 


“Yes, Gus and Jenny said.” I mutter.


“Dad and Kimberely are getting married too. Mother was not happy.” She drawls.


“Daddy is remarrying?!” I blink at her. “Nobody told me.” 


“Why should they? He is nothing to you, unless you want his money.” She snipes. “So…”


“Do you know that…”


“He’s not my birth father? Yes, I do. How long have you known? When did she tell you?”


“She didn't. I won't divulge who did, but that was not my question. Do you know that the people on his street thought that we are his mother and sister? Mother soon corrected that misconception in the only way she knows how.” She looks revolted, “Yes, that way, sounding like a cow having a multiple breech birth...mooooeeeww!” 


“Lindsay! That is one earworm I could’ve done without!”


“Try catching it live!” I blench. “They didn’t see me.”


“Li…oh my…”


“Dining room table. She was most smug at dinner until I went up and ate in my room. He looked so crestfallen that all that faking was for naught. Oh you should’ve heard him: my darling wife, oh, oh yes!” Her lips twitch, she balls her fists, then tucks them underneath her. I clench my jaw; we look away from each other. But then it happens; her hiccup snort. “Don’t!” I plead, but it is too late, we are soon giggling. “I have never gotten a gym membership so fast! You’re lucky in that you don’t take after her when it comes to weight gain, let’s just say the years have ‘settled around her’. I plan to fix him, I'm just not sure how, but I'll come up with a plan. He grabbed me, you know.”


“What do you mean, 'grabbed you'?”


“When I was released, he grabbed my arm when they first told me about the marriage. He gripped for a bit before I got him off me. Threatened to cut his throat if he touched me again.”


“I kicked him so hard in the nuts that he bit through his lip.” She smirks proudly.


“Well done! Look, I won’t take any more of your time, just leave it with me, alright?”


“Fine.” She replies, then walks out. 


I gather my things and start to leave, but I am brought up short by Gus blocking the door. “What?”


“I don't get you. For years you treated her like less, but now you are having a cosy chat? What are you up to?”


“Nothing nefarious, well not where your Aunt is concerned…” I was relieved that he and Jenny took the moment I leapt at Oliver to get herbs from outside. “...you are looking well…”


“That’s what happens in a loving environment. Have you seen my Dad and Papa since you’ve been out?” I shake my head. “I would advise against it, he would snap you like a twig. You haven’t piled on the tonnage like the dick-tator.” 


“Who would?”


“Baggie.” His smile is cold. “He can tell a stinking traitorous swine a mile away, and he is very protective of Dad.”


“I lost sight of what was important.”


“You never lost sight of what was important, it was that we weren’t important enough.” Jenny states from behind Gus. “When you next see him, tell him that I still hate him...and you. Now get lost.”

End of flashback


MATTHIAS


I warily tap the door. She’s been in there a while. “Are you alright, Lindsay?”


“Yes, yes, I am fine, was just thinking. I will be right out.”


“Okay, see you in the dining room then.”


FIVE MINUTES LATER


She has joined us, but seems distracted. “So why are you here?” Carlton asks.


“Hmm? Oh yes, um, I wanted to talk to Edna about the restitution I have to make. How do I go about doing that?” Novotny looks incredulous. I, too, am surprised. “I mean, what kind of work would I be doing, as I have no current income?” 


“You would need to have a meeting with the board, and they would decide what is appropriate. I am glad you mentioned that actually. You…”


“They are taking my resuscitation from my payments…” Novotny interrupts. “...I still say that the fine was unreasonable!” 


“What fine?” Carlton asks sweetly. “I had been meaning to ask you how the hearing went.”


“Badly! They were totally unsympathetic!”


“They would’ve been more reasonable and sympathetic if you had not dropped out at the last minute…” 


“I had a recurrence of my, you know, and had to see Dr Cameron urgently.”


“So where are they?” Edna smirks. “Or did he put a catheter in and strap the bag to your leg?”


“Catheter?” He frowns, then scowls. “I refuse to answer such a personal question from the likes of you.”


“The likes of me, you say?” Edna laughs. “What like am I? Someone who is striving to make herself better? Who at least acknowledges her wrong instead of sitting there reading comics and pouting that ‘he made me do it’ by simply being better than you in every way without trying? Hell, even homeless he was better, because he took responsibility for himself! You strove, and continue to strive to make your victim pay for your laziness and mistakes!”


“He is not better than me!” Novotny growls. 


“If he wasn’t, then why is Brian with him and not you?” I begin to worry about this goading Edna is doing. “How come everyone that was in your life has moved onto better and bigger things?”


“What is that supposed to mean?” He snipes.


“Well, you were clearly trying to impress Matthias with your attributes by the ‘oops I dropped my towel’ antic this morning when he was here. Not only did he not notice, but there was nothing to notice! It was so in the shade.” 


“You silly old cow!” He spits as he springs from his seat. “You are lucky I respect the elderly, or I would give you such a slap!”


“Two things: one, I could beat you just by blinking my eyelashes; and two, I am a board member. I was not present earlier, but this has severely saturated your copybook.” She turns to me. “So what happened?”


“As I said…” I gather myself after a swift kick from Carlton. “...he didn’t turn up, so they found him at fault in his absence and fined him. And then, when he failed to acknowledge the ruling, they decided that the ‘hard way’ was called for, so they have suspended your payments. You will have to work as well.”


LINDSAY


Once more, I gather my things, ignoring the pointed look from Michael. I have just thought of something!


“Edna, perhaps we could meet tomorrow to discuss my reparation duties? Whatever time suits you.” 


“Sure.” Edna frowns. “Let’s meet at the courthouse, say about nine?”


“Perfect.” I smile brightly. “See you then.”


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - NEXT MORNING


MEETING ROOM


EDNA


“And that was about?” I come straight to the point as she comes in.


“I asked around about my stepdad at the club we all go to, Mother took great delight in telling me she met him before me and...” She jabbers as she takes off her coat. 


“Before you. You mean you two dated?! What the hell freakish family do you have?!”


“No, no, we didn’t date, I met him in jail and…”


“You met him in jail?” I echo. “Which one? I mean guard was he?”


“He wasn’t a guard.” She looks affronted by the very idea. “He was, and I guess still is, the doctor within the...”


“Doctor?” I interrupt sharply. “Are you saying to me that your Mother married David Cameron?”


“The very one. And according to sources he is a gay dominant.”


“And someone that the girls made sure they were never alone with.” I growl.


“What do you mean?”


“Well you can ignore the allegations of a couple of narks, but when the guards stay outside the door, you know there is something to it!”


BRITIN - A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER  


MASTER BEDROOM


JUSTIN


“Brian.” I keep my voice even and calm. “Take deep breaths.” I wait for him to do so. “Now, tell him firmly to drop. Okay?”


“Okay.”  Brian grits out.


“Even and calm, not like you're chewing gravel.” I order.


“Baggie, drop.”


Baggie sits.


“Not sit...”


“Even and calm.” I repeat.


“Baggie, drop it.”


We both wince as Baggie’s jaws tighten around one of our favourite dildos. How he got it is anyone’s guess. We came in from our walk, the first thing we saw was the box lid, then the anal beads trailing down the stairs. As we ran to the bedroom, we passed slobbered-on scarves, chewed handcuffs, punctured massage oil tubes, barf, and now this. Baggie, by the bay window with the dildo in his mouth, which he has managed to ‘chew on’ to a low setting, which is making his lips ripple!


“Baggie.” Brian moves towards him, which of course he takes as play and bounds onto the bed with his massage oil and barf covered feet, oh yes, he trailed everywhere. “Justin!” Brian squeaks, going pale.


“Just tell him to drop it! Do not move, just speak!” I hiss.


“Uh, guys, have I interrupted interesting?!” The snickering tones of Slick float up the stairs, “Where you boys at?!” She yells as she comes upstairs, then gasps as she takes in the scene. “What the…” 


“We are having a boundaries issue with Baggie again.” I explain.


“How did he get under the bed?” She asks, and I cringe. “Well, that will teach you to put things away immediate...um, is that the…”


“Hundred dollar dildo you told us about, and we bought a pair of? Yeah, that’s it. He’s destroyed mine.” I carp.


“That is it!” Brian starts to roll his up his sleeves and spreads his arms wide. Baggie starts to wag his tail. This is bad, very bad! “Baggie!” Baggie drops the dildo. “Good boy...nooooo!” He screams as Baggie launches himself at his chest.


“Oh fuck!” Slick yells, before she pulls Brian out of the way. “Sit!” Baggie seems to pause in mid air before dropping to the floor and sitting immediately. “Bro, you good?! Brian!” 


“Mud room!” He snarls, pointing to the door. Nothing happens. “Get your ass in there right now!” He bellows, Baggie scurries out, whimpering. Neither of us say a word. We have never seen him like this with Baggie. “He could’ve hurt me, really hurt me.” He mutters. “He would’ve felt awful! That flumpf doesn't know his own strength!” We sigh in relief. As usual, he is thinking of Baggie! “Can you give me a few minutes? Need to speak to…”


“Yeah, I know.” I kiss his cheek and he heads downstairs, picking up debris as he goes. “Want gloves?” I ask Slick, pointing to the bed. She nods. I fetch a set from the bathroom, and, together, we get the bed changed. “What are you doing here?”


“Oh, word on the street is that Dr Dickless wants a new sub.”


“So?” I do the hospital corners that Brian insists on, despite immediately untucking them to get in.


“And that would be Brian.” 


“What?” I grimace. 


“Uh huh, he really doesn’t realise how far the reach you two have is, or how short his is. Justin…”


“In what realm…” I begin. “...who told you anyway?”


“Daph. Pure fluke that she heard the shriek.” 


“What shriek?” I frown as I pull out the quilt.


“She recognised the squawk of Knobhead Novotny, and eavesdropped. Called me as soon as she could, but I only got home this morning. Was checking out my place in Sewickley, it is doing great.”


“And how do they propose to get that to happen?” I fume.


“They didn’t go into semantics, but he did mention…." 


“Now you have to say a very big Baggie sorry to Justin, okay?” My heart melts as Brian is coming back, talking to his boy. “A gentle one with Baggie kisses, alright, you promise?” I almost lose it when I hear a small woof of agreement. “Good boy.” I gesture to Slick to follow me quickly to the bathroom. She almost shuts the door. 


“Just...oh, they must be downstairs…” He sighs and sits down on the bed. “...come here, Baggie.” He drops his head in his lap. “What am I going to do? I just want all of this crap to stop. Why can’t they just leave us alone?” He sniffs. “Why can’t they just leave us to be fucking happy? That’s all I want, to be happy with Justin and everyone else…” He starts to cry harder, and Baggie gets on the bed, licking away the tears as fast as they flow. Slick wraps her arms around me and lets me cry into her neck the same way Brian cries into Baggie’s.


“And you will be, I promise you.” Slick seethes. “On the soul of my Mom, I promise you that.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing be kind and constructive. Thank you.