- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - WELCOME TO THE FAMILY…

 

DAVID

 

Lindsay doesn't move, she just looks from me to Nancy. “Say something…”

 

“What would you have me say? Congratulations?! Can I see the pictures?!” She springs out of the car then starts to pace, which gets the attention of the guard by the gate.

 

“Lindsay! Get in the car; you are causing a scene!” Nancy hisses.

 

“A scene?! Oh, we can't have that, can we?!” She spits, I get out and pull her to a stop. “Let go of me!” I squeeze her arm and her eyes widen. “I said let go!” She yanks herself out of my grasp and her eyes spit fire.

 

“What's going on?!” The guard calls out as he approaches.

 

“Nothing!” I call out, and Nancy also gets out. “We just surprised her and she's taking time to…”

 

“Surprised me?! I think the word you are looking for is horrified! I will take a cab home, please, can you call me one?!” Lindsay turns to the gate and starts to head back inside, the guard swiftly follows.

 

“Lindsay! Come back this instant, or there will be no home for you to taxi back to!” Slowly she turns around and looks astonished then furious. “Now get in and let us be on our way.”

 

“Peterson, do you still want that cab?” The guard demands.

 

“No. No thank you. I will be fine, like she said just a shock.” She heads back to the car and there is silence as we retake our seats. Just as I turn to face her, she almost jabs me in the face. I rear back and glower at her. “I never had you down for being an almost necrophiliac!

 

“Lindsay, do not speak to my husband or about me that way! I did not bring you up to behave like a common garden rabble rouser! Now, I know you are upset because of your hopes for you and David, but it is not meant to be. Truth be told it never was.”

 

“Truth?! Oh please…”

 

“I met him before you!” Nancy snarls. “And it was only because of your behaviour that we didn't go on our date at the time!”

 

We all jump at the knock on the window; I roll it down and smile at the guard. “Is there anything amiss?”

 

“You tell me.” He looks carefully at all three of us. “I will ask again, Miss Peterson, do you want that cab?”

 

“No thank you. Honestly, I am fine.”

 

He nods and then stands in front of the car, pulls out his notebook, and jots something down. “Take care then, and, Miss Peterson, I hope not to see you back inside.”

 

“Oh you won't.” She calls out, and I wind the window back up then start to reverse. “Unless, of course, you touch me like that again, David, because I will cut your throat!”

 

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

I chuckle as Brian tries again to get Bagheera off of the sofa. Despite having finally conceded defeat and bought them both one of their own, he only likes the one we sit in, especially when Brian is sitting in it...or in this case trying to.

 

“Justin!” Brian gripes as, yet again, Bagheera uses his Tibetan Mastiff side to resist the shoving. “By rights we should sue that breeder!” He puts his hands on his hips and points to the other sofa. “Go sit over there!” Bagheera yawns and rests his head on his huge paws. “Baggie, come on! I just want to sit down and read the paper in peace!”

 

“Why not…”

 

“If you are going to say sit on his sofa then don't, because as well as being too dark to read, there is a draught!” He pouts and decides to go for a pull with leverage approach. He rests his foot against the sofa and grabs his collar on either side, this is a bad idea!

 

“Brian, this is not going to work!” I warn just as he tugs with all his might. I try not to laugh as he lands on his ass with the collar in his hands and Baggie still on the sofa thumping his tail. “They also have quick slip collars now, remember? I believe at your insistence, so they didn't get caught up the bushes.” He glares and blushes from his place on the floor. “Baggie, get down.” I order, and he whines. “Down now.” And with a small huff he gets up and pads to his sofa.

 

“How the hell?!” Brian is indignant and rubbing his ass as he stands.

 

“He thinks its a game because you send out mix messages.”

 

“I do not!” He sits down gingerly. “And luckily for you my ass is not broken!”

 

“You do.” I curl into his side. “You rough and tumble with him, and then when I am not in you let him sit on this sofa. I don't.”

 

“I told him to get off the sofa.” He looks pensive.

 

“Brian…” I sit up and turn his face to me. “...what is…”

 

“Annabeth is going to be so scared of them tomorrow! They're huge!” He drops his head in his hands. “And then we won't be able to see her unless we go to theirs, but I want her to come to see our home! She's our goddaughter, she needs to…”

 

“Will you stop queening?! Yes, they are three hundred pounds...but they’re three hundred pounds of adorkable slobber and love!” I rub his thigh and then stare at him. “You do know that she has a dog?” His head whips up; he gapes at me. “I knew you weren't listening, but I don't blame you in the face of all that cuteness!”

 

I reach for his phone and open the last message from Slick to show him. “I give you Polo.” His beautiful mouth curves into a smile. “She said you would tell me.”

 

“Tell...oh! That's how I met Slick, she and I got into a bidding war over a 1977 Polo Coupe, which she won. I was so pissed and was sulk...formulating a strategy when she appeared at my shoulder and introduced herself, then pulled me into the vintage room and helped me get my first Lotus.”

 

“What happened to it?” I curl back into his side and sigh as Baggie starts to creep on his belly towards us. “Send him back.” I order, but before he can say anything Baloo blocks his progress. They low growl at each other before, with a haughty turn up of his nose, Baggie goes back to his sofa but looks pitifully at Brian.

 

“Why don't I find another way to distract you?” I husk in his ear and slide into his lap and nip his nose. “What is more appealing, three hundred pounds of slobber with puppy eyes or eight by two with blue eyes and hot mouth?”

 

“No contest.” He growls, and pins me to the sofa.

 

SLICK AND LINDON’S HOME - NEXT DAY

 

NURSERY

 

LINDON

 

I watch my wife, love of my life, and mother of our child and smile. “So where was he?”

 

“Out of ten?” I nod. “Thirty seven.” She chuckles and then sighs as Annabeth fights her need to get dressed. “Now look, Missie, we ain't doing this! No chile o’mine is doing buck naked outside the bathroom!” She glares at her Mom. “No.”

 

“Gramph!” She exclaims, trying to wriggle away.

 

“Gramph or no gramph, it is happening!” She tries once more to squirm out of her hold, but is denied. “Ann.a.beth!” She goes still and looks at her Mom. “Stop it, I am not playing. You are getting dressed, and that's that.”

 

“Poop!” She grumbles, then finally allows her Mom to put her clothes on.

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

DEBS

 

I look up as Carl comes in, and drapes his coat over the chair. “Well? Was I right to be worried about that look between Lindon and Slick?”

 

“Yeah. I think so. They're saying all the right things and giving the right reasons, but they’re holding back on us.” He sits down wearily. “I just want to know what the hell it is, so we can deal with it as a family!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.