- Text Size +

CHAPTER 30 - THE DUCHESS AND THE QUEEN MAKE THEIR MOVES...


DAVID


I feel like I am in Gomorrah! His daughter?! Lynette is his daughter! I turn to speak to Nancy, only to find that not only is she not there, but neither is my car! 


“What the hell?!” I shout as I see it speeding down the road! “Stop, thief! Stop!” I yell before turning to a laughing Lynette. “And what is so fucking funny about someone stealing my car?!” I snarl.


“Calling your wife a thief isn’t very nice!” Lynette snickers. “And she’s a briber, not a thief. Oh, and also a racist, according to her record.” She steps towards me. “And I would caution you against speaking to me like that again. Time and I have changed, changed so very much!”


“So are we going in then?” George calls out from the doorway. My relief that he never overheard that is immense. “Where’s your wife, David?”


“Oh no, Dad, we’re not eating here today. I have seen enough, for now.” She looks me up and down. “But trust us, we will be back.”


“She most likely had to leave with the headache she told me about as we were coming here.” I return tightly, my face flaming. 


“Of course, of course.” George links arms with Lynette and his boyfriend, before they stroll down the street. 


My relief is short lived as I am tapped on the shoulder. “And when is she going to make her supervisor, which would be me, aware of that?!” I am faced with a gum chewing, redhead and frown. “She has my number and has been made aware of the rules of absence. Also, where is the rest of the trio? I can see stacks of dishes, seems that none of them are taking this seriously.” 


“Excuse me, ma’am, but did I hear you correctly saying that neither Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, nor Nancy Cameron-Peterson have turned up for their assignment?” My blood freezes, as I know that voice. Turning around I gape at Edna! 


“Yes you did, and you are?” The redhead asks.


“Edna. Edna Fey. I am a representative on the EOHOPSA Board, doing a spot check.”


“Oh great, I am Debs. I am supervising the three of them.”,


“Looks like she changed her mind!” George calls out, pointing down the road, Nancy is reversing back.


“I think it has more to do with the fact that this is a one way street, she’s gone down the wrong path, again.” Edna laughs as Nancy comes to a halt. She sits in the car for a few long seconds before getting out. “Going somewhere, were we?” She demands. “I don’t believe we have met. I am Edna Fey, and you are Nancy Cameron-Peterson…”


Nancy drops her hand when Edna puts hers in her pockets. “Yes I am…”


“And the answer to my question is?” Edna prompts. Although it is a brief respite, I am enjoying Nancy’s discomfort so much!


“I spotted a parking space, so wanted…”


“Funny, your son here said that you were a thief. Or was it that you had a headache and were leaving? Obviously, you were going to let you supervisor know of your malaise immediately on return to your domicile? But now you are a valet, which is it?”


“First he is my husband, not my son! Of course I was! Like I said, I thought I could park over there, but the large trailer impeded my progress.” She grits out, glaring at me.


EDNA


“Hmm, do you believe her?” Debs asks.


“About the husband? I guess, each to their own. About the parking? Well, for a woman of her advanced age, she did move quite quickly, so there might be an element of...ah, there he finally is! And where have you been?!” I demand of Michael.


“I overslept because of her fiance's mistreatment.” He retorts, glaring at Debs. “What are you doing here anyway?” 


“Spot check. I am on the EOHOPSA Board, remember? How late is he?” I turn to Debs.


“He should’ve started at seven, so two hours, Cameron-Peterson should’ve started at eight, so three hours in total tardiness. Hi, my name’s Kiki, did I hear right that you are doing a spot check?”


“Correct. And where is Peterson?”


“In already, and she was early.” Kiki smiles. “Which was good as she had to take off her make-up...again.”


“What’s going on?” A tall brunette with a large dog strolls up, looking furious. “Why aren’t they working?!”


“She was either trying to go home sick or park; he overslept; and Peterson is in, but has to take off her face.” I smile at him. “Edna Fey, some people referred to me as the Queen of the Wing. Are you the owner of this fine establishment?”


“Queen of the...oh!” He breaks into a huge smile. “Yes, I’m Brian Taylor-Kinney, and this is Baggie. Nice to meet you, very nice to meet you!”


“You too, and…”


“Slick!” Brian calls out, waving, I relish the drooping of their shoulders. “Over here! Fancy a coffee, shot of the good stuff?!”


LINDSAY


I can hear Brian shouting about coffee. There is a sizeable crowd by the door. I have been in the bathroom, trying to get some semblance of humanity into my face. This ridiculous rule that I am not allowed to wear make-up is maddening, especially when I have Kiki looking like a clown! I apply another layer of skin tint and a slick of rose gloss. 


“This will have to do.” I sigh,


“You are already late, get in there and do your penance!” Is barked out, I freeze as that sounds like Edna! I dash out just in time for the crowd to part and a scarlet faced Mother and sulking Michael come in. David is looking embarrassed, but also something else, which I can’t quite place.


“Well that will be an extra 2 hours for you today then!” Edna declares. “All of you!” 


“What do you mean all of us?! I was here on time, this is so unfair!” I gasp.


“Well then, you should’ve made sure your fellow yardbirds had your ethic.” Brian snaps as he and Slick come in. They take a seat in the back booth with Edna, Debs, and Kiki joining them. 


“Please have a seat, Mr Cameron-Peterson.” Edna calls out. A flame faced David stares at her. “Unless you wish me to shout your business all over this diner?”


“David!” Mother hisses over her shoulder. 


“But my car needs…” He mutters.


“Oh, don’t worry, I can handle that. I can park like a pro.” Slick strides towards him. “Keys, please.”


“I have them.” Mother trills, then drops them on the floor. “Whoopsie daisy.” 


“Baggie, get!” Slick orders. “Gent…” She doesn’t get to finish the word before the keys are wolfed down. “Whoopsie daisy back at you.” She sneers at Mother. “But don’t worry, I can arrange for it to be towed until such time as Baggie is ready to give them back.”


Edna clears her throat. “Why don’t you three join us...” She gestures to the booth. “...wasn’t a question.” We reluctantly sit down, I roll my eyes at the attempt of Michael to sit next to Brian, who moves away with a look of disgust. “Slick is sitting there. Move!” Edna orders. He takes longer than necessary, again. She smirks and my stomach twists. “Now, I understand that your wife and step-daughter reside within minutes of each other. Is that correct?” He nods. “Novotny resides with me, but has shown a marked reluctance to knuckle down. Having discussed it with the board, I have been given access to a vehicle, so I suggest that I pick them up in the morning and take them home at night.”


“What kind of vehicle?” David asks. 


“Oh, just a little something...” Edna smiles whilst David grimaces. “...I still have friends in the system. Speaking of friends...here is the man himself!”


“Brandon?” I frown.


“Hi, guys.” He is smiling broadly as he sits down. “It is all yours, Edna. It’s outside the courthouse. Slick can work some magic on the outside, but I think EOHOPS will be pleased with it. Excellent suggestion. So this is the vehicle you are to look out for.” He pulls out his phone and fiddles with the screen before turning it to face us. 



“You can’t have that outside my residences!” David exclaims. 


“Our residences, and absolutely not!” Mother corrects him, just as there is a loud bang outside. “What was that?!”


“Nancy, we need to focus on this!” David snaps.


“Of course, darling, I was just startled and it has made my headache worse. Back to this atrocity! You are joking....no, no way! We can come to you!”


“For some reason, you seem to think you have some kind of power here.” Slick drawls. “I’m beginning to find this attitude tiresome. This vehicle at least gives some semblance of anonymity, in that you can duck down or I can black out the windows, unlike the squad car that will come and collect you every single day until the debt is paid. I too have friends in the system.”


“How much is Nancy’s debt entirely?” David asks. Mother preens whilst I fume.


“Excuse me, but who owns the Mercedes?” Is called out by a guy in the doorway.


“I do!” David stands smugly. “I know it needs moving, but unfortunately this dog has eaten the keys.”


“It doesn’t need moving…..” The guy replies, coming towards us. “...you’d best come and see…” He trails off.


“And where are you going, Cameron-Peterson?” Edna demands.


“It’s okay, Edna, let her go. They can all go.” Brian tells her, much to our surprise.


“Uh, Kiddo, why?” Debs asks.


“Because, there is a change of timetable for the weekend. They will all be working the double shift both days.” 


“What?!” Mother exclaims, but Michael looks angrier than I have ever seen. “I have plans with David this weekend, we are going…”


“Nowhere. Nowhere but here.” Slick returns coolly. “So off you trot, get some rest, you’re gonna need it.”


“You can't do this!” Mother bridles, then frowns as David comes back looking explosive. “What’s wrong with car?”


“That startling loud bang was it being written off!” He snarls, just as the dog barfs up the keys on Mother’s feet. “Go and get cleaned up, you and I have a lot to discuss!”


OFFICE - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN


I have Annabee on my lap and am stunned. “Say that again. Justin, you still there?” I call out.


“Uh, yeah.” He calls back from the speaker.


“I am her grandmother, I share the EOHOPS house with Novotny and my son, Carlton, who, as you know, has given up his rights to her.” Edna chuckles. “Such a terrible shame about the car.”


“Yeah, awful.” Slick smirks, whilst Brandon laughs.


“But you can get in so much trouble for the car.” Justin points out


“I could, if it was his car that was damaged. It wasn’t, so I won’t.” Slick pours the good coffee. “It’s a mock up. Have had it since the feckless four banded together, figured I would have a use for it. His actual car is perfectly fine, but by the time he finds that out, it will be much, much too late.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.