- Text Size +

CHAPTER 33 - EXPLAINING


CAMERON PETERSON RESIDENCE - NEXT MORNING


MASTER BEDROOM


LINDSAY


Edna and I look revolted at the bed. “Let’s be quick, shall we?” She orders. I grab the toiletry bag and other things that she demanded in her phone call. 


“How long shall I pack for?” I ask as I pull open the underwear drawer.


“A month at least.” She replies before reaching in and taking everything out. “You don’t want to have to open that Pandora’s box again, do you?” I hold my hands up; she smiles, then dumps them in the holdall. “She really is something, isn’t she? I could see more of her in you before, now not so much. What changed for you? It can’t be just what she almost did. Why have you changed so much and towards Slick in particular?”


I give this some thought whilst leaning against the wall. “Because she never did anything to me to deserve what I did to her. Out of jealousy, I could see how much Brian, Mel, Gus, and Jenny love her, it was different than the love they had for me…”


“But weren’t you and Mel together? Slick is not gay, so why should that impact how you felt for Mel?”


Sighing, I sit on the bed, then leap up. She smiles and gestures at the chair before sitting on the bed. “Nothing is getting up this pussy, yours still has a chance at something.” 


“Oh my god, Edna!” I gasp before giggling. “Back to Slick and Mel, it was because she treated me differently. Mel and her, it was instant, they were fast friends. It was instant with everyone but me, and, come to think of it, Michael. I felt that she tolerated me because I came with Brian. She couldn't get rid of me…”


“But she never tried to get rid of you. You got rid of you from your kids' lives as well as Brian’s. You did all the things that you thought she’d do and got yourself gone.”


“Exactly. Then seeing your granddaughter on…”


“Annabee, that's her name. It was Annabeth, but then Emmett kept calling her Annabee because the first time he met her she was wearing a jumper with a bee on it…”


“Emmett Honeycutt….” I shake my head. “...now there is a gentle gentleman until you cross him, but once he gets a thought in his head that is it. He is very persuasive.” I tap the table for a few seconds. “Oh, can you give this to Slick, please? It’s a list of mine and Gus’s allergies, she should be tested in case we’ve passed any on.” 


“I will…” She takes the envelope with her eyes slightly bright. “...thanks. You didn’t have to do that.”


“Yes I did. She's a baby, who through no fault of her own is here. Slick needs to know what she could be battling against.” I clap my hands. “Let’s get the rest of her ladyship’s things and then go and get Oliver.”


“Oliver? Who’s Oliver?” Edna  frowns. “It’s not a nickname for a vib…”


“Enda!” I put my hands over my ears, she takes them down with a smirk. “How did you get there?!”


“Never had you down as such a prude. Some women name them. Nowadays, they are seen as a ‘right’ depending on the prison you go to.”


“A…”


“Uh huh. So back to Oliver, he’s a who to her? Let’s pack and talk.”


EDNA


“Lynette’s husband and an attorney. She is demanding that he represent her.” She presses her lips together, then clears her throat. “She has clearly forgotten that the last time she attempted that, he dumped her at a hotel in the back of beyond, then helped set my father up with his fiance.” She giggles. “Lynette said that the day after she was put in jail for being charming, Oliver went to see her. She looked a mess but he still managed to get a picture of her after she, as Debs would say, reaped the consequences of running her mouth. Never knew she wore a…” 


Both our jaws are on the floor as we stare into the wardrobe. Along the shelf are styrofoam heads with wigs carefully placed, but it’s the faces, the faces of the heads. “I am going to need post-death therapy! Please tell me we are not looking at her face on those things?”


“Uh huh.” Lindsay mutters before reaching for the small vanity case. “Shall I open it?”


“Yeah, but first...downstairs!” I order.


“Doubles, no triples!” She declares, and races ahead of me. Five minutes later, we are back in the room with a bottle of whisky and two very full glasses. “You ready?” I nod, and she opens the case, but instead of glass eyes and false teeth like I thought we would, we find notebooks. “So let’s start the Society Jackanory Time, shall we?”


“Why not? How bad can it be?” I sip thoughtfully. An hour later, I have my answer. I have a wretched Lindsay Peterson sobbing in my arms. Book after book displays that not only did she not love Lynette, she never loved Lindsay. Oh yes, she said enough for her to believe that she did and to crave the love, but love her she did not. I use the cuff of my shirt to wipe her face. “I am sorry. Having heard that, I am sorry for the spanking.”


“You weren't to know.” She sniffs. “A line, not even a grandson, a line and one of sorts. That’s how she described Gus. Jenny doesn't even get mentioned.” Slowly she sits up and looks around. “How long have we been here?”


I check my watch. “Three hours, we should get this…”


“No we shouldn’t.” She interrupts and stands. “Where is David?”


“At some denial queens fuckfest. She said…”


“No, where is he here? There is nothing of his here, so where is he?” She opens another wardrobe, and we are greeted by the same thing: garish clothes, styrofoam heads, and that’s it.


“Try the other bedroom maybe?” I question, and we head in that direction. The room is pristine, carefully ordered and smells of pine. I open the wardrobe, and again am blenching. “Well, at least they show the same taste in wigs.” I state, as it is full of heads, but with different lengths. “Wonder who gave who the idea?” I move to the next closet. “Your turn.” I step aside and let her open it, only stepping behind her when she sighs in relief, which is short lived. “Is that a harness codpiece set?” She checks it out before shaking her head. “So what is it then?”


“An unwashed harness codpiece set.” 


“Get the booze!” I order.


BRITIN - SAME TIME


BACK GARDEN


JUSTIN


I look up as his shadow falls across me. “Hey, Baggie, you doing okay?” He plops his head in my lap in response and sighs. “He won’t be long. You know why you couldn’t go, you have a concussion and have to take it easy.” He sighs again. “If it helps, I think he’s doing something really good for you.” At the word 'good', his ears lift, then we both sniff the air. Immediately Baloo is sitting on Baggie to keep him calm. Whatever that is, it smells great!


“Hi.” Brian kisses me sweetly before putting down the dish. “So I have been cooking.”


“Smells like turkey necks.” I am slightly disappointed, because although they smell great, they look so off putting. Though Brian does nibble, purely for taste purposes.


“It’s turkey, but not as you know it.” He grins, then removes the foil. “For you, I cooked for you.” I am salivating, because these are not necks, but wings. “I know how much you like turkey legs but can’t finish one. These you can. Not sure about the salt though.”


I take a bite, the skin is crisp and it is perfectly seasoned. And the gravy, oh the gravy! “Is it B&B edible?” I pick up another one and his cheeks glow. “Do we have bread in there?” I nod at the cool bag he brought with him, he hands it to me. “Oh, hard dough, you so love me!”


“I do, and you love them, so, please, can they have just a wing or some bread dipped gravy?!”


“The dipped bread, yes. Not the wings…” His face falls. “...they need to differentiate, by they I mean Baggie, between my food and their food. If we give them this, then it will be something they get used to. The wings are mine.”


“Okay. Can I feed him now?” I hand him a slice of bread, then watch him make sure it is perfectly soaked before clicking his tongue at Baloo. “Now, Baggie, watch. When it is your turn, do not go ‘Toothless’ and get grabby!” Twenty minutes later, we are strolling back to the house. Everything I said before has been disregarded, or should that be ignored!


The moment he finished the bread, Baggie flipped the dish then snaffled two wings before eating them from my lap. Baloo finished off three wings, and the rest of the gravy. Brian had the bread. And Brian’s assertion that at least I got two and smiling when he said it, almost got him banished to the barn for the rest of the week, although I am still undecided about tonight!


57TH PRECINCT - NEXT MORNING


MEETING ROOM FOUR


NANCY


“This is intolerable!” I snipe as I pace. “Where are they?!” I hear voices outside, the door rattles for a bit but nobody comes in. The only thing stopping me from wrenching it open is the police officer sitting in the corner, watching me. “Can you check what is keeping my attorney?” I ask.


“Nope.” He replies.


“Why not?”


“Because they are not being kept, as you put it. They are due at nine fifteen, it is five past, ergo they are not late.” 


“Then why am I in here now?” I demand. “And what of Novotny, the instigator of all of this?”


“You are here because of you. You wanted to come now, remember? As for whoever you are talking about, no idea. And…” His radio crackling into life stops his taunting of me. “Okay. Copy.” He puts it back in its holster and goes back to silent watching. I want to claw off his face! “It must be so very galling being watched instead of you sneering down from your Ivory Tower at the likes of me.”


“I earn more interest in one day on one of my bank accounts than you most probably make in a week!” I return.


“That’s as maybe, but what ‘little’ I earn I get out of jail to spend it.” 


Before I can think of a suitable response, the door opens and my world implodes, for coming in are Philip St Bride, Lionel Barth plus three others. “I demand to know what is going on, who are they?!”


“He is your court appointed attorney.” Lionel declares before putting papers down. “And, as is customary during pre-trial interviews, everyone sits in to make trial as brief as possible. Justin Taylor-Kinney has asked both Philip and I to represent him, so shall we…”


“No, my attorney is Oliver March, and where is Lindsay with my things?”


“Mrs Cameron Peterson, I am Detective French and this is Detective Howard. I have read your sheet; Lindsay is your daughter, correct and was listed as your primary contact?” 


“Yes, she is my...what do you mean was listed as my primary contact?”


“As of nine last night she declined all communication, as did Mr March. As these gents just said this your court appointed attorney, Mr Arnold. Be nice as he is a very big fan of Brian Taylor-Kinney.”


EOHOPS HOUSE - MID MORNING


LINDSAY’S ROOM


LINDSAY


I don’t know what to say.


“You could stop him I think.” Gus shifts a little at the bottom of my bed.


“Who?” I frown.


“Baggie. That shriek could stop Frankenstein.”


“He, um, does need training, but he absolutely dotes on your father.” He returns my smile, which lifts my shattered spirits. But I am curious about his presence. I get my answer when he hands me the letter, the letter that was also inside the envelope I gave Edna.


“Read it to me.” 


I press the note flat, then sip the juice he brought up. “Dear Gus, you are the one thing that I am proud of. I created you, but I am so sorry about how I used and abused you. For that is what I did. I used you in a pawn in a battle I would never win, but kept fighting. Not many people, not even Michael, I suspect, knew this, but he always wanted to be a dad. Always. There was one time when he was feeding you and he whispered he would give you everything you wanted, so I took advantage of that. I am sorry for what I put you through, it was callous, and having read her true thoughts, I will never forgive her. But I hope that in time you can forgive me, and tell Annabee that Slick is the best mom in the world for her, because her heart is good. Something that cannot be said for mine, but I will try to fix that.”


“Thank you.” He whispers before taking the tissue from me. “Is it from you or her?”


This throws me. “What?”


“The ear thing. You do it, I do it...so…”


“Your grandfather. When I was little he would soothe me to sleep by stroking my ear. I did the same to myself, and you...what?” I don’t understand his expression.


“You have something in common.” He chuckles.


“Me and your grandfather? Of course we would have, and…”


“Nope, you and Slick. She’s an ear rubber and she soothes, I like that word, Annabee like that.”


“She does? I am glad…” I take another deep breath. “...where is Jenny?” He rolls his eyes. “I see. I understand. It is deserved, and…”


“No you don’t understand.” He interrupts. “Him, she could do without, and Momma, she always had, but you, she wanted your love so badly, and…”


“Oh my god!” I gasp as the words from the notebooks blaze into my mind, I have done to Jenny exactly what she did to me. “Gus, I need you to get something from the things we brought…” I am interrupted by a knock on the door. “...come in!”


“Hi.” I am stunned as Slick enters. “How are you doing?”


“I am fi...sorry, so sorry, but can we talk in a minute? I need Gus to…”


“She really did a number on the pair of you, didn't she? But I get you now. When that is all you know, I get you now.” I am about to speak when she puts the notebooks we found on the bed. “Jenny is making minestrone soup…” My throat catches. “...yeah, your fave. As much as this hurts, you guys need to read these together to understand.”


LOUNGE - EARLY AFTERNOON


LINDSAY


“So, will you do it? Go see a therapist? Like Slick said, she did a number.” Mel puts down the coffee. “I thought there was something, but this, never this.”


“Mmm. I will. God what a mess I have created. I…”


“Taught to create, you learned. And I am glad about the therapy. Do you remember the ‘hot doc’ as Brian called him? Alex Winter?”


“Oh yes, they really fancied each other. Wonder why they never did the deed.”


“Don’t you remember where he was going on Barf Day? He only parked outside because it was near the office…”

 

I chuckle in remembrance of the phone call. “He said today’s the day, today I get him out of my imagination but instead he got Justin. Justin puking on his car was the reason he never made it. And they...they are good friends instead.”


“Yes they are. Now Justin, who when you come to think of it is you as a guy, but he is, how can I put this? Justin is the opposite of you in every way, you tried so hard and he didn’t try at all.” We are silent for a few seconds. “I read them, whilst you were sleeping, I hope you don’t mind.”


“I am sorry for pitting you two against each other.” 


“I didn’t help that either.” 


“No you didn’t. But I need to talk to you about something. That must not be told to Gus and Jenny, no wait, can’t be told yet.” I scrub my face. “When Lynette was younger, David Cameron attempted to…”


“I know about that. We have got a case against him, she still has the dress, we’re preparing an arrest warrant now and…”


“Don’t do that!” I exclaim as I remember something Edna said. “I mean do! But also speak to Edna, she said that guards would be outside when the girls had appointments with him!”


“I will.” She sips her coffee whilst looking furious.


Then I realise something. “Edna!” I shriek, he’s right I do shriek, which brings everyone in. “The harness!”


“What about that revolting thing?” Edna demands.


“It has his...that...on it. Mel said Lynette kept the dress from that night...”


“I’ll drive.” Slick declares. 


FORENSICS ROOM, 55TH PRECINCT - FOUR HOURS LATER


CARL


The silence is unnerving, but it is me, Grimm and Cook in here, waiting for an answer. Jepson is one of the best but known for taking his time. 


“Go find a Judge.” Jepson orders. “This is no one but him.”


MATTHIAS’S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


SLICK


I know I shouldn't laugh, but I felt like The Scooby Gang the way we were tearing up the road. It didn’t help that whilst I did the wheel, Edna shifted gears, she reminds me so much of Mom. As that’s how she taught me to escape, he is going to be driving, if you can, shift the gears, bring attention to the car. Having two petrified princesses in the back was hilarious…’a taxi, a taxi! We can take a taxi pull over for the love of god!’...I seriously thought Mel was going to punch me when I did seventy to the driveway, rolled it to five to pull in then asked ‘you gals okay’. We all jump when my phone goes. “It’s Carl.” I tell them and put him on speaker. Two seconds after I hang up we are screaming, laughing and crying. Then we are silenced by a cry. “I thought he took her home. One second.” 


I take the stairs two at a time to get to my daughter.


LINDSAY


“I am going to make something…” My words stop and my heart pounds because toddling into the kitchen is Annabee. She is rubbing her ear. “Um…”


“Who pretty?” She asks pointing at me. Nobody says anything.


“So who are you?” Slick asks kneeling behind her.


“Lindsay. Hi Annabee I am Lindsay.”


“Pretty Whimsy. Pretty Whimsy take up?” 


“Pretty Whimsy take up.” I choke out when Slick nods then hoist her onto my hip.


“Pretty Whimsy so soft. What doing?” She asks as she strokes my ear. “Why sad?”


“Not sad. Happy. So very happy.” I sniff. “As for what doing, I am making sandwiches, do you want to help?”


“Not biverfuck, me and Momsy don’t like biverfuck.” 


We all look at Slick. “She means liverwurst, Lindon has been trying to convert us. She must have heard me call it that...do not tell him, I will never live it down.”


“Ham and cheese melts it is then!” I declare.


An hour later we have eaten our sandwiches. My heart swelled when Gus fed Annabee, and Jenny gave me the recipe for the soup, when we lived together she would never tell me how to do it. But more importantly as I fill everyone’s glasses again and mentally hug myself. He is going to jail. I am taking baby steps to reconnect with my children but big steps to disconnect from that creature, the person who truly caused me the most pain.

 

Chapter End Notes:

If revieewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx