- Text Size +

CHAPTER 34 - AND THERE’S MORE


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - NEXT DAY, EARLY EVENING


KITCHEN


DEBS


I look from Mel to Lindsay and back to Mel again, who is nodding and smiling. “I never thought I...well, I’ll be damned. Everyone? You have written everyone a letter?”


“Yes.” Lindsay twists her fingers. “It was Jenny’s idea. I wrote her and Gus one each, and…”


“Honey, you going to open it then?” Carl prompts, and without taking my eyes off her, I do so. I can't speak as I read her words. “May I see?” I hand it over, he too reads quietly. “Well…” He clears his throat, then hands me his handkerchief to wipe my eyes. “...they say actions speak louder than words, and from what I’ve seen you do and this…it may not mean much, but you have my admiration...” 


“That means so much. Thank you.” She looks close to tears.


“So, coffee?” I get up and put on the machine.


“I have to be back at the house before ten, and…”


“I’ll drop you off. That's okay, right Debs?” Carl asks. “Oh, has anyone told you?”


“Told me what?” Lindsay finally sits down.


“Debs and I are getting married!” Carl beams. “She asked me!”


That’s great! I take it Emmett is providing the food?” She smiles a little sadly.


“Since when do you call me Emmett?!” He barks from the back door. “I found this in my cottage.”


“I...I…” Lindsay stammers, going red, whilst Carl frowns and Mel looks annoyed.


“You were glowing!” He puts his bag down on the table. “But you were filled with such hatred and bitterness you couldn't see!” 


“Glowing? What do you mean glowing?!” Mel demands.


“With Annabee, you looked radiant.” Ems sniffs. “I saw you when you were carrying her, but I didn’t know you were. I just saw your top half and thought, 'oh my, prison really suits her'!” 


“You...how did you?” I gasp.


“The cooking rehabilitation programme, remember?” Mel explains. “They met, and it's Pretty Whimsy. Pretty Whimsy is what Annabee calls her. And it turns out that Lindsay, Gus, Annabee and Slick have something in common…”


“Ear rubbing? You are an ear rubber?!” Ems exclaims, Lindsay blushes. “So, since when do you call me Emmett?” He repeats. 


“What should I call you?” Lindsay sighs.


“Ems, of course! Slick told me about the books and gave me a recap, now I understand it, and you…”


“What books?” Carl frowns. We listen in horror at what she found out. “I can’t imagine...jeez. We need something stronger than coffee!”


“Oh, that reminds me, I had wine and whisky yesterday. I need to…”


“I am sorry, there was a terrible ringing in my ears just now, didn’t hear a thing, and I was not present when these were imbibed. I returned home and gave you, Mel and Ems a ride back to your residences.” 


“Carl Horvath!” I laugh, whilst grabbing the wine and glasses. I look at Ems and nod slightly at Lindsay. He grins back.


“So, I am going to need one thing from you, something that only you can provide, Lindsay!” Ems declares. She frowns. “I need someone to help me with admin, be my PA as it were. Neither Claire nor I have any time for that kind of thing!” She looks incredulous. “I am serious. A trial run for three weeks, fuck up and it’s back to the diner with you!”


“On toilet duty with no gloves!” I add as I put the glass down. “Or brushes, I will watch you give a daily demo on hand washing a john and I don’t mean a dude!”


“Understood.” She shudders.


“Good.” Ems and I state.


“Oh…” Lindsay takes my hand. “...that is beautiful! Where did...ah! Michael! Pull ups!”


“Excuse me?” Mel frowns.


“Michael pawned your ring!” Lindsay exclaims. “Said you took it off when you dyed his hair before he went to jail. It dropped in his bag, he claims, then he pawned it the moment he got back here, got $6000 for it. He put the money in pull ups!” 


“There are no words.” I sigh.


“Yes there are.” Ems declares. “Rain hellfire and damnation on his ass!”


BRITIN - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


GUS


I look up at the sound of footsteps. He looks tired. “Where is he?”


“Where do you think?” Justin sighs. “With the only person that loves him more than me.”


“Was I wrong to show them to him?” I run my nail along the tile.


“No. Absolutely not!” Robin gives me a hug. “The worst thing about being hurt by someone is not knowing the reason for the motivation, or, in this case, the reason for the manipulation, especially when she didn’t know she was being manipulated and moulded into misery.”


“Has he read it?” I ask.


“Not yet, but he did take it with him.” Justin replies.


ORCHARD - FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I sit down on our grassy knoll and take off Baggie’s collar. He waits, I stretch out my legs and he lies on top of them. His big soulful brown eyes look up at me, I can feel tears bubbling up. I know Lindsay. I knew, I knew deep down, that all that happened was not her. She was being manipulated by both her mother, who she wanted to apologise to for being a dyke, and Michael, who fuelled both their jealousy, but used her insecurities to get to where he needed to be. I take out the letter and brace myself. When I open it, I smile, for all there are five words; ‘I am sorry for everything’. I pull out my phone and dial my most treasured number.


TEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


Baggie is gambolling along the orchard trying to find the perfect stick. “How the hell are you going to throw that?!” I exclaim as he brings half an oak tree back towards us. 


“Makes a change from weights.” He smiles before we kiss. “It will take time, but I think I can.”


“Good, because if you can, I can.” I am so relieved, because despite everything, I know he missed her very much. “But he is dead to me.”


“We need to be alone.” I whisper against his lips, then get in his lap.


“Baggie. Home!” Brian orders amazingly, Baggie obeys. Once he is gone, he pulls out the envelope then hands it to me. I read it and frown. “When she blathers, that’s when I know she is lying.”


COUNTY JAIL - SAME TIME


INTERVIEW ROOM


MICHAEL


“We know this to be true because of other evidence, so the charges of theft and deception will be added to your charge sheet.” The cop states, I just nod. “Your court appointed attorney is on her way, five minutes tops.” He looks across at a glowering Carl. “You gonna be okay with him?”


“Absolutely.” He retorts.


“Fine.” The cop replies before leaving the room 


I fidget as the silence is so heavy, but I want to know if I can attend. “So when is it?”


“What? The three weddings and a funeral?”


“Carl, please!”


“Detective Horvath!” He explodes before inhaling sharply. “They are when they are, but neither Ben, Bank, Justin, nor your mom are telling you that!” 


“Hey, Carl!” My heart sinks as Melody Chen enters. Nancy had told me how useless she was when it came to Lindsay. “Mr…oh.” She is looking at a piece of paper. “Be right back!” She hurries out.


“What’s going on?” I ask as Carl rises. Neither he or the other cop respond. “I would like an answer to my question.”


“Amazing, still thinking you are in charge!” Carl snaps before leaving too, then the room descends into another heavy silence.


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


MELODY 


I can’t believe I am dealing with this pipsqueak again, but here I am! I have to admit he looks wretched, but then wouldn’t you when you have ‘killed’ your best friend?


“So why?” I ask.


“You would need to ask her, she put it in there.” He replies frowning. “Why did you leave earlier?”


“Needed to check something. So, Mr Grassi, what will…”


“Novotny. My surname is Novotny.” He interrupts.


“No, you have been charged under your birth name of Grassi. I had to make sure all the paperwork reflected that.”


“I see. I think. So now what happens?”


“The arraignment is at 1400 this afternoon, a trial date will be set, and then you can use that creative mind of yours to try and persuade a jury that you weren’t the lead in what happened to Brian…”


“I wasn’t! It was that crone, I told them that!” He sits up straighter. “She has always hated him, said he turned Lindsey's head, then abandoned her!” 


“She did, did she?” I peruse the notes. “So what made you, I repeat you, tell her about the allergy?”


“I was angry that I had been played! Played by Slick, and…”


“So what does Mrs Miller-Fox have to do with you two putting the walnuts in his food?” I snap.


“Her and her brother, they were laughing at me, and…”


“Which has nothing to do with Mr Taylor-Kinney!”


“He was laughing too!” I shout.


“So you sought to punish him?”


“No, she sought to punish him, after they told her about David!”


“This would be her…” I am cut off by the door being knocked on. I nod at the cop and he opens it. 


“What the…” He gulps as Philip St Bride walks in.


MICHAEL


“Ms Chen, how are you doing?” He smiles at her, then gives me an admiring look. “My partner won’t be long. A couple of minutes, he had to sign off on something.”


“Okay, no problem.” She returns. “Michael Grassi, this is Phillip St Bride. He is…”


“So…” I return the look from earlier. “...you bat for our team?”


“You really think you are something, don't you?” Philip grumbles. “No, I am not gay. Surely you remember me on that fateful day? You know, when you and your partner in crime put walnuts in the food? I was with my wife! Twinkle’s Aunt, you remember Twinkle, don’t you, or would you know him better as Twanker? And even if I was, you would not raise anything.”


“Do not speak please Mr Grassi.” Chen orders. “Mr St Bride and Lionel Barth are the prosecution. They would rather reach a deal so that it isn’t dragged out.” I go to speak when the door opens again and Matthias’s boyfriend comes in. He looks at me coldly whilst sitting next to his teammate. “So do you think we could do that?”


“Yes.” I sigh. “I can’t believe she did this to my best friend.” 


“You said that you put it in the pesto and the guacamole. You, not her.” Lionel states. “And they were what he mostly ate, because you, not her, put those favourite dishes next to him.”


BRITIN - SAME TIME


BARN


JUSTIN


“BRIAN!” I bellow, then glare at the two rapscallions in our lives, who are at an impasse over a brontosaurus rib, which means Baggie has one end and Baloo has the other. 


“I am coming!” He hollers as he rushes back with the bone saw. “Can you get your boy to sit? If he does, then Baggie will!” 


“Baloo, down.” I order, sure enough, Baggie copies him.


“Okay. Ben, you hold Baloo. Gus and Robin, take Baggie. Ready?” Brian looks at the three of them, and they nod. This is not our first full cow rib rodeo! Less than five minutes later, they are at opposite ends of the barn, chomping on the bones, and a very embarrassed Brian is shifting on his feet. “At least it wasn’t in the house this time.”


“Really?!” Ben snorts. 


“No, he’s right!” I laugh as a relieved Brian kisses my neck. “We had to re-lay the mud room floor, which is why we feed them this in here.”


“Do you think they will let them in court? It would be fun to see his face.” Ben frowns then smiles as Baloo trots up to him licking his chops.


“Okay, what’s this?” Robin demands as Baloo snuffles at a pocket, which makes Ben go red. “Ben? What do you have?”


“Everyone pays attention to Baggie and Baloo is such a…”


“What?” I demand.


“Wings. Chicken wings. He really…” He trails off when Baloo goes and sits in front of Gus and again snuffles at his pocket.


“Sonny Boy?” Brian prompts.


“Ribs.” Gus blushes. “Lamb ones, but stripped off the bone.”


“Baloo! Baloo!” Slick calls out. “I got something for ya!” She shouts, having been using the study for the last hour. “Now let me see…” Her voice dies as she comes to a halt.


“And what would that be?” I question.


“Sweet potato and steak cake.” She scratches the back of her neck.


“You know what?” Gus looks at Baggie who is still down the other end of the barn. “I think I have worked out why Baggie misbehaves so much. It gets him attention. Look at him.” We all do, he is looking very sad. “When you guys feed Baloo anywhere and they are together, do you feed Baggie?”


“Um...no.” Slick admits, the others do the same. “Brian is the one that he’s remotely gentle with. He is huge!”


“So is Baloo, but you still feed him!” Brian retorts then I get it. 


“Baggie, come here.” I order, he takes a few minutes for him to trot to us. “I am so sorry. Everyone who has anything, divide it up, also someone text the other treat-people to tell them they can’t just treat Baloo. Look at earlier, Baggie learns from him. He can’t learn if he’s not taught.”


AN HOUR LATER


ROBIN


Incredible, that is the only way I can describe the change in Baggie. Gone is the whirlwind of destruction. What we have here is a dog who just wanted to be treated and loved like his brother.


“There is no way in hell I can have the wings to myself, is there?” Justin laughs as he watches Baggie.


“Which wings?” Gus grins. “What others are there? I mean, apart from chicken and duck, thems are the favourites, what other birds can they eat?”


“Thems are the favourites? I paid a lot of money for your grammar, kindly use it!” Brian chuckles as Baggie goes from person to person, gently taking tidbits. “And what your Papa is referencing is turkey wings, to which the answer is obviously no.”


“Oh for the love of god. He was only away five minutes!” Slick laughs as Baggie’s tail whips up a dust storm as Baloo returns from his bathroom break. Baggie has just been taking the food then gathering it in a pile. We are all stunned into silence as he snuffles some towards Baloo then they both sit and eat. “Adorkable, just adorkable.” 


“That’s my boy.” Brian sighs and I couldn't agree more!


ALLEGHANY COUNTY JAIL - EARLY EVENING


MICHAEL’S CELL


MICHAEL


Alive! Brian is alive! I stare at the ceiling. A part of me is relieved, the rest of me furious that they duped me into thinking I had killed him…


Start of flashback

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - EARLIER THAT DAY


COURTROOM ONE


MICHAEL


I take my seat next to Melody. “Where is Nancy?” I ask.


“She will be along soon.” She replies going through her papers. 


“So, where is the widow? Are they called widows when they are men?”  


“For someone who is in this predicament, you have a bolshy attitude that you need to lose very quickly!” Melody snaps. 


Before I can argue that this is down to Nancy and not me, the doors behind me open just as Nancy comes in. She looks shocked, so I turn around. 


“BRIAN!” I leap up as he and his ‘widow’ walk towards Philip and Lionel. “They said you were dead! They said!” I bellow.


“SILENCE IN COURT!” The bailiff barks out.


“No! You had me believe that I killed him! That is…”


“One more word out of you and you will be put in solitary!” A very familiar voice snaps; I turn to face Brandon. “You will sit. You will be quiet, voluntarily, or I will help do those two things for you.”


I take some comfort in his look of disappointment as I slowly sit down.


“What is the meaning of this?” Nancy demands of her vaguely familiar looking attorney. “We were told we were being charged with murder. He is clearly not dead, so…”


“You were never told that by me or by Miss Chen.” Her attorney declares. 


“I was told that by them!” She points at Philip and Lionel. “They said…”


“That they were the prosecution team.” He cuts her off. “I was there, remember?” I fume as the dead man walking nuzzles the ear of his widow. “Now we want to make this as pain free as possible for the victims of your crimes, so what plea are you entering?”


“Obviously not guilty, and where is Lindsay?!” Nancy questions.


“Getting some much needed help.” Mel replies as she approaches the table. She hands an envelope to Nancy’s attorney, then joins the prosecution’s side.


“What is that?” Nancy demands.


“None of your business.” He retorts.


“He can't talk to her like that!” I nudge Melody. “Don’t you think he’s being awfully rude?!”


“Facing a charge of attempted murder, and your main concern is the manners of the attorney of your accomplice?!” Melody snarks. “Get some perspective.”


“I am…” 


“That’s it!” Brandon barks, and the next thing I know, I am hogtied and on my way down to the court lock up.

End of flashback


MICHAEL


I rub my wrists where the cuffs bruised them, then sit bolt upright. “Shit, I am doomed!” I pace the length of the cell. “So in a nutshell, I’m being represented by a useless attorney, prosecuted by friends of my ex-best friend who I didn’t murder, and my accomplice is being represented by the guy who I tricked into sucking me off in the back room of Babylon!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thank you.