- Text Size +

CHAPTER 35 - SHE FINALLY FINDS HER HOME AND HIRAM SAYS HI


HONEYCUTT’S HOUSE OF FOOD - THREE DAYS LATER


OFFICE


EMS


“How is it…” My eyes widen and I come to an astonished halt. “What have you done?!” I demand of Lindsay, who blows her hair out of her face, flushing, as I take in the full majesty of my very clean office with a vase of flowers on the table.  


“I, um, tidied.” She mutters. 


“I’ll say!” Sighing, I take a seat on the super-plumped-and-now-can-be-seen sofa. “So, first, how are you, and second how’s my day looking?” She takes up the iPad that Claire had when she tried to do the admin, but then found that it is just not her bag. If anything, she made it a lot worse, but I do love the girl! She and Terez are in New York on a much deserved break before coming back here in time for the weddings. “Lindsay?” I prompt, then pat the seat next to me. “You can do this.” I smile at her. “It’s just me and you, remember me? Ems.”


“Yes.” She finally breathes out as she sits down. “So, let me show you what I have done with your diary.” 


Two hours later, we both feel more in control. Me because I can see in an instant what I have to do, and, praise Jesus, my inbox is empty! And her, because as much as she loved working in the gallery, her secret love was doing admin! 


“Hello, Ems.” I smile up at the rapidly-becoming-the-love-of-my-life Georgie. “Are you ready for me?” 


“I am always ready for you.” I tease. “So, the menu for the fundraiser has been decided upon?”


“Yep...oh, hi Lindsay.” He smiles at her when she comes back in. “How’s it going?”


“Okay, thank you. How are you?” Once more she is back to looking confused and nervous.


“Great.” He regards her for a few seconds. “Thank you.”


“What for?”


“The letter to Lynette, thank you. It takes a great deal of courage to admit your mistakes, but even greater courage to try and fix them. If I may venture a suggestion?”


“Go on.” She swallows hard.


“Mel mentioned that you are seeking therapy. Perhaps you and Lynette could go together? I think it would be good for you both. Although the abuse was meted out differently, it was still abuse. Help each other to heal.” She blinks a couple of times, before I am steering her to the sofa, and Georgie is getting some water. “Lindsay, I didn’t mean to cause you more…”


“It’s not you, George, it’s that word.” She sniffs. “I could think about it for everyone but me or Lynette. When you say…” She sighs. “...abuse, you conjure images of what Brian went through, but…”


“Maybe you should go…” I begin, but she shakes her head. “...okay.”


“Sorry, Lindsay, I am overruling you.” Georgie declares. “I have been speaking to Edna. You’ve been working all the hours that God sent to get this place ready. Enough, you need to proper rest. Let me call them, they will take you home.”


“Edna has a board meeting right now, and Carlton is in school. So....”


“That's not who I am calling.” George replies. “Now have some more water.”


BEN AND ROBIN'S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


HUNTER


“Are we ready?” I smirk at Dad and Robin, who grin back. “How are we going to play this?”


“The same way he played us?” Dad suggests.


“No, I have a much better idea.” Daph grabs her jacket.


ALLEGHANY COUNTY JAIL - AN HOUR LATER


VISITOR’S ROOM


DAPH


I am so looking forward to this! I check out the prisoners as they file in. Whilst I can’t see him, I can hear him. You’d think he would learn to curb that vomitous mouth of his!


“He'd better have a fucking good explanation for putting me through this pain and misery! I still can't believe he let me think that I had killed him!” 


“Grassi, one more word and you won’t see him at all!” A guard barks. I can feel his fury from way across the room. “Ranger, Table 7.” I enjoy his gurgles of frustration. Having Brandon as a friend does have its advantages! I asked if he could put a spanner in the works of visiting day, seems this is what he did. It takes another fifteen minutes for him to be sent to our table, and if he could fly, I know he would’ve done that! But much like Icarus, he crashes to earth when he sees not Brian, but us...me, Hunter, Ben, Robin and Debs!


“Where’s Brian?” He demands. “I was told he was my visitor.”


“Like you did for years and years, they lied. Now sit down.” Debs growls. She rises when he remains standing. “Or would you like me to help you with that? Which won’t make you look pussy-whipped momma’s boy at all!” He scrambles into the seat. “Much better. So, want to explain to me why you poisoned Brian? You know, the same Brian who you love and wanted to spend the rest of your life, not his, but yours, with?!” He goes red. “And why did you steal my grandmother’s ring knowing how much it meant to me?!” 


MICHAEL


I can feel the staring and here snickering! I risk a quick look around to see if Hiram Pickles, who is again my cellmate despite my objections after his treatment of me before, has heard her, but it doesn’t seem so. “As I said to my attorney, I didn’t do that, she did! I will be vindicated. I clearly didn’t steal your ring, as you still have it.” 


“Then why was it on your charge sheet?” Ben sneers. “You know, the one that was read to you during that very brief appearance in court?”


When I turn to give him a tongue lashing, the words die in my throat as I spot another ring, I look at Robin’s hand, he also is wearing one. “You got married?!” I fume. “Well you certainly didn’t waste any time!”


“You two split up before you went to jail.” Robin snaps.”He kicked you out for amongst other things being horrible to Hunter, or has your selective memory kicked in again?” He leans closer. “Trust me, I do, because I had to comfort him when you declared that you would be kicking him out of the house once Ben came crawling back to you, as nobody but you could ever love him.” 


“Which I was there to witness!” Mother adds.


“As was I...not mad at all!” Daphne bites out.


“Hey, Michael, why don’t you introduce me to these lovely people? First time you’ve had visitors in a while. I am including the last time you were here, you never had anybody at all then did you?” My skin crawls as Hiram joins us. “My name is Hiram, and you all are?” 


“Hi, Hiram, I’m his mother, who are you to Michael?” Mother asks, all smiles.


“His cellmate. Have to admit, I wasn't expecting him to be back so soon again. Can I use his nickname for you too or is it just for you and him?”


“And that would be?” Mother asks and I try to catch Hiram’s eye.


“S’mother.” He declares. 


“S’mother?” She repeats, whilst glaring at me. “How charming, and its Debs. Now, Hiram, this is Ben, Robin, Daphne and Hunter. ”


“You’re Ben?!” He gazes at him for a few seconds. Robin is unfazed by his drooling, so clearly doesn’t respect him! “How the hell did he get you?! I mean, just look at him!” I burn as they chortle. “So, Daphne, I have a question…”


“Hiram…” I smile at him. “...if you don’t mind, I would like to spend what’s left of the visiting…”


“I do mind.” Hiram retorts. “So, Daphne, he said that he had to school you on more than one occasion. And I wonder…”


“Does he look like he could ever school me? Am guessing he also never mentioned that time when he messed with my girl, Slick, and I damn near twisted his balls off?”


“Twisted his balls off?” Hiram gasps. “Nope, never mentioned that! Hold up, when you say Slick, you don’t so happen to mean Slick Phoenix, do you?”


“Yes.” Hunter frowns. “She’s the reason why he was jailed the last time. She was the person that he committed fraud against. Why do you look like that?”


I am wondering the same thing too!


“If I had known that, I would’ve...but that now I do, I will!” Hiram snaps, turning in his seat. “Dude! Come on over, you need to meet someone!” 


“Pickles!” A guard shouts. “What’s going on over there?!” 


“Just introducing my cellie to a family member. That’s okay, right?” He calls back.


“Okay, but keep the noise down!”


“Sorry, will do!” I look down so he doesn’t see me smiling at his telling off. “You're just gonna leave my boy hanging…” He prompts. “...or you gonna say hi?” I take the guy’s hand. “This is Michael Grassi. Michael Grassi, this is Sam Harriman.”


“Harriman?” Hunter frowns. “Why is that name familiar?” 


“Because, that’s the same surname of Slick’s late, unlamented father.” Daphne sighs. “I would stop smirking if I were you!” I keep smirking. What can she do to me here?! There are armed guards for fuck sake! “Don't think I won’t try twisting those rancid peas, if you say what you said again!”


“What did he say?” Sam asks. “And about who?” His expression darkens as they catch him up, as does Hiram’s, but then Sam starts to laugh. “Oh, you are gonna have so much fun, aren’t you?!”


“Yep!” Hiram replies with a smile I don’t like.


“Excuse me, what is happening here?” Ben demands.


“So you’ve all figured out that I know Slick?” Ben nods. “Want to know how?” I also nod whilst starting to feel queasy. “She’s our half sister. Her dad wasn’t very faithful.” 


“Half...half sister.” I whimper-whisper as the full implication of that sinks in. “But your surname is Pickles.”


“She gave me a piece of advice....” Hiram growls. “...told me to use my mother’s maiden name whilst I am in here. As my middle name is the same as Sam’s…”


“And that’s?” Mother prompts.


“Pernell. And as I am not quite ‘white’, people would quickly put two and two together, and make my life as miserable as I am going to make yours.” I jump as the bell goes to announce the end of the visiting hour. How did it pass so quickly?! “Well, it was nice to meet you. Say hi to Slick for me, please?”


“We will. And boys, play nicely.” Daphne snickers. 


I take as long as I can heading back to my cell, my stomach boiling with dread...for I am not doomed, I am screwed.


OUTSIDE ALLEGHANY COUNTY JAIL - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


BEN


“Well, it was nice to meet you, Sam. Look, we’re going to be seeing Slick tomorrow, when was the last time you....” I am interrupted by his chuckling, which turns into howling laughter. “Am I missing something?”


“My surname is Pickles, I just played along when Hiram introduced me. He’s been complaining about Grassi for weeks.”


“So you two aren’t related to her?” Debs gapes.


“Nope.” He snorts. “But he does know her, she’s one of his sponsors.” 


“That girl never ceases to surprise me.” Daph smiles proudly. 


LYNETTE AND OLIVER’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


BEDROOM


OLIVER


It is the rustle that gets my attention. Lynette gently disentangles herself from a sleeping Lindsay, who, for the first time in all the years I have known her, looks peaceful. “I am going to get a drink, what do you want?”


“Whatever you are having.” She replies as she joins me on the sofa. “Jesus, what a day.”


“I won’t be long.” As I head downstairs, I think about the day. When George called to ask if we would let Lindsay rest in the house, I was surprised as I didn’t see the point, yes I will admit to being still mad at her, despite the letter, but then I saw her. She looked exhausted, the kind of exhausted that only comes from physical and mental tiredness. She didn't say anything when she got in the car, and even less when she saw Lynette. In fact, neither of them spoke for a very long time. It’s the quietest the house has ever been with three people in it! When she went to use the shower, I was relieved, because at least Lynnette immediately started to talk. And when the first words out of her mouth were, 'I want to share the therapist appointments with her', you could’ve knocked me down with a feather! When I asked her why, she said, ‘She looks like me, after that night. That was my reflection for many years. Enough. We have both suffered enough. Edna says she’s been trying to avoid sleeping, and when she did she could hear her having nightmares, so she told Dad…’. I take the stairs two at a time with brandy, and, taking a chance, three glasses. “Is she awake?” I whisper.


“Yes, yes I am. Thank you for letting me rest…”


“Stay, you are staying here.” Lynette gives me a quick look.


“Okay, I won’t drink too much of this. That way I can go to the house and get your things.” I take a sip then remember what Lynette said. “Actually, I can get them tomorrow, have one glass and go back to sleep, we’ll be here when you wake up. No matter when or how, we will be here.” 

 

“Thank you.” They both say, and with a kiss to my cheek, Lynette goes to get some blankets.

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.