- Text Size +

CHAPTER 38 - COMETH THE MESSIAH...CALLED JOSIAH


LYNETTE AND OLIVER’S HOME - TWO DAYS LATER


LYNETTE


It has been such a whirlwind! We got back during the ‘storming of the Bastille’ by Slick and Brian. But at least everyone is on the road to forgiveness where Lindsay, or Pretty Whimsy, is concerned. It will be a road of hard travel for her but one she must walk. 


“I’ll get it!” Mel calls out as the doorbell rings.


“Thanks!” I call out then poke my head out of the kitchen to see who it is, but the way she is positioned makes it difficult.


“Oh my God!” Mel gasps. 


“Hello.” A warm voice floats in, I go to see who it belongs to and almost drop the glass I was drying. “My name is…”


“Josiah Momtalinga.” I gape at him. “First, please come in, and second why are you here?”


“May I come to you in a moment?” He smiles at me and I just nod. “I am looking for Melanie Marcus and Kimberely Stewart, my friend Philip St Bride said they would be here.”


“I am Melanie and Kimberely get out here!”


“What are you shouting…” She demands having been playing poker with Ronald and Gus. “...Oliver!” 


“What’s up?” He replies as he walks into the hallway before just staring.


Now not only is Josiah Momtalinga an imposing attorney, Oliver and I follow his trials religiously, he is also imposing in person. At just under seven feet, his height, intellect, sense of justice, and some say his African/Russian heritage, combine to get the truth out of most people!


“You said Philip, your friend Philip St Bride said we would be here? Why do you need to see us?” Mel asks. 


“Do you want to sit down?” I babble when I notice he is slightly bowed.


“Thank you.” He smiles before taking off his shoes and sitting on the stairs. “So the…”


“No, no I didn’t mean there, please follow me.” I lead them to the study.


STUDY


JOSIAH


I make myself comfortable then look around the stunned group. “Philip has asked me to be the prosecution in the case of the State vs Cameron and the State vs Fremlick. I would like it very much if you, Ms Marcus and Ms Stewart, would agree to assist. Obviously, you would not be able to cross examine due to your relationship with my client...”


“Which client is that?” Oliver asks.


“Clients. Lynette Peterson-March and Casper Mentz.” All eyes widen. “People like them who abuse their power need to face the consequences of their actions.”


“You, you Joshia Momtalinga are going to represent us?” Lynette gasps.


“Yes. And there is one more case that I think needs to be raised. Does anyone know where I can find Brian Taylor-Kinney?”


“Yes, but why?” Melanie frowns.


“Sandy says he and Slick Phoenix, previously known as Meredith Harriman, are very close. She feels it would sound better coming from him rather than someone she doesn’t know.”


“What would sound better? Brian is in California with Justin, his husband, not back until the end of the week. Also Slick is a very good friend of mine, so what would sound better?” Melanie demands.


“I am glad you said that. I am aware of your relationship with both of them, I have done my due diligence.” I pull out some papers and hand them to her. She reads them then squeezes her temples. “You see my point then?”


“Yes. Let me call him.” Nobody says anything as she waits for it to connect. “Brian, how...the kids are okay, it’s Slick, right now she is fine, but she won’t be after you speak to her. It has to be you…” Melanie starts to pace and takes deep breaths. “...okay I am back. You need to tell...to tell Slick that the reason her mother’s killer found them was because of Fremlick. He gave him their new address. Fremlick’s produced a statement to that effect, said that Harriman also blackmailed him into presiding over his case and said that if he didn’t he would tell everyone how he found them. Right, okay let me know and I will pick you guys up.” She hangs up and gives the papers to Kimberely. “You know what that means right?”


“Accessory after the fact.” Oliver states. “But that doesn’t make sense, for him to blab now I mean, why do that?” I lean back in my seat; like I said I have done my due diligence. “Wait he’s been in there for fifteen years. Oh my goodness! He doesn't know he’s dead, does he?” 


“No he doesn’t.” I reply feeling very good about this.


“And this would’ve got time added on so he’s trying to reach a deal?!” Oliver cries.


“It would and he is. Which will go nowhere.” I smile. 


“Why on earth wouldn't he know that?!” Kimberely scoffs. “He died over two years ago!”


“It was not reported.” I tell her. “As she didn’t claim him, he was buried by the State. So his grave is marked down as John Doe Prisoner 58719.”


“So now what happens?” Melanie asks.


“I tell Lynette something.” Sighing I shuffle forward in my seat. “I am sorry but it was all deliberate.”


“What was?” Lynette frowns.


“She knew Lindsay liked him so ‘took him’ off her. But over time she realised who he was and…”


“Married him.” Oliver growls. “Is there anything we can do about that?” 


“No we can’t.” I sigh then watch the moment Melanie catches fire.


“How do you know all of this?” 


“My family are all in law, in some capacity. Some things are Black and some are White. Like one of the guards who works where Nancy Peterson is incarcerated.”


“She is so fucked over!” Melanie giggles.


“Indeed. Now that the team is assembled. Do not take anymore cases or speak to anyone without clearing it with me first. Have a lovely rest, for on Monday at nine sharp, we start to kick asses!” I get up and extend my hand to Lynette. “I will fight to the end to get justice for you both.” She takes it tearfully. “Now, these are the last tears you shed over this, you promise?” I get Oliver’s ‘nod of permission’ before I wipe them off her cheeks. “Now believe me. It will be tough, they will paint you every which way they can, but you just focus on your statement, the evidence is enough but we need you.”


“We will make sure she does!” I turn to see a determined looking young man at the door. 


“And you are?” I look down at him.


“Her nephew.”


“Which tells me what not who.” I drop to one knee but am still looking down.


“Gus...and…”


“And the sayer of the infamous pussy paradise speech.” I grin at him. “I know Melody Chen. Strasbourg found it very amusing, especially when her forehead...” 


He clears his throat then points discreetly over his shoulder “Oh, so you are?” I rise and like most folks they back up, I do wish people would not do that but it has its uses.


“I am Ronald and this is...is my daughter Lindsay.” 


“Or forehead girl.” She blushes. “All the way to Strasbourg, but I’ve never seen it.”


“Let’s not go there, suffice to say everyone was in a heated moment and we’ve moved on.” I wave them all in. “Like Gus alluded we need to present a united front. You guys have me for however long it takes. I have prosecuted thousands of cases and the ones I have ‘lost’ is because the people weren’t there to face their crimes, by their hands or others. But all have been found guilty in absentia.”


“Jeez.” Kimberely breathes.


“And there is no way they are adding to the ‘lost tally’.” I crack my knuckles and everyone winces. “Get ready, the wincing has only begun.”


Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive