- Text Size +

CHAPTER 46 - THE TROUBLE YOU’RE IN AND WHEN FRIENDS ARE SECOND TO NAAN


FRACKVILLE PRISON - TWO DAYS LATER


VISITORS ROOM


DAVID


“Table 4.” The guard points, and there’s a guy I’ve a vague recollection of. He is a tasty tidbit. I stand opposite and wait for him to stop texting. “One sec…” He taps quickly before smiling, then pocketing his phone. “...right, Dr Cameron, I will come straight to the point. You are in more shit than you realise.”


“I beg your pardon, who exactly are you?” 


“Brandon Green, am friends of the people that you are attempting to ‘silence’, and…sit down.” I do so. “You may have lost one ‘victim’ in Casper, but there is still Lynette and all the other women in prison that you exerted your ‘dubious’ power over.” I swallow hard. “It took some time, but they are coming forward to speak, to tell the world what you’re really like.” 


My palms start getting sweaty. “They won’t be…”


“Yes they will. As well as having a prison network that protects each other, the guards also protect them. They remember that not one, not a single prisoner, wanted to be in the room with you without there being a guard outside.” He sits back. “And as well as being friends with your victims, I work in the prison service and briefly in the same jail as you.”


“It’s their words against mine.” I assert. “There is no proof that I did anything to anyone in prison.” 


“Apart from getting one of the girls pregnant.” His smile is slow. “There’s that little detail.”


“I didn’t rape anybody!” I growl.


“No, but you did wank off wearing gloves, then gave her a pap smear, didn’t you?”


GEORGE’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BEDROOM


GEORGE


We’re at an impasse, by which I mean my sweet Emmett is still trying to work out where to put, wait for it, his Mother of Pearl bag. He’s been trying to place it for an hour! Sighing, I put the vase of flowers down, and pray this does not escalate into a row. “Emmett…”


“Perfect!” He declares, then hangs the bag on the wall next to the flowers on a nail I hadn’t even seen. “Thank you, Georgie! See? It’s perfect! Now, the name of the florist?” 



“Florist?” I frown.


“Yes, we need to get those on retainer. But two to frame it, then it will be utter perfection!”


“You know, you are the most adorable man I’ve ever met? My heart lifts every second you are in my company. Now please do not indulge my ego and say it back, but I love you.”


“You do? Oh, that’s wonderful!” He hugs me tightly. “I fell in love with you after the first bite of sandwich! And only one thing has tasted better than that!” 


“What?” I frown, once I get my breath back.


“You. Your kisses, your cock, your everything! I want nothing more to taste you for as long as we both shall live.”


“Have you just proposed?” I tease him.


“Are you saying yes?” He looks at me with utter seriousness.


“Yes I am.”


“Then I’ve proposed, but first we must get the other weddings sorted out! Then this mantle of organisational perfection will be passed to…”


“Why not Justin and Daphne?” I smile, still slightly stunned that I am now engaged.


“Because Brian and Slick, whilst they love me, will slap me way back into a cocked hat if I become a groomzilla!” He looks thoughtful for a second. “Oh wait, I’ve done this wrong, one minute!”


Ten minutes later, we both crying tears of joy after he officially asked Lynette for my hand, and not only did she say yes to that, but she’s also giving me away!


EOHOPS HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


CARLTON


I’m doing my assignment when I hear the growl of the police van, that just so happened to be her transportation, pull up outside the house. Mom is upstairs making sure her room is just right. From what we’ve been hearing, she’s just been a ‘delight’ since the moment she got released. At first, she thought that she could just go back to her former abode. When she found it barricaded off, she was not happy. But even unhappier when she had to go back to County, as the room here wasn’t ready, however, it was movie night and we didn’t want her here yet!


I was going to take my time answering the door, but when I saw it was an exasperated looking driver, I hurry to answer it. “Just take her.” He growls, then swiftly returns to the van.


“Mrs Camper Reterson?” I smile at her, she glares. “This is what it says here.” I show her the paperwork.


“Do I look like a Camper Reterson to you?” She snipes.


“You look like a cold hearted, attempted murderer who needs to learn some humility and manners.” 


Oh this is going to be good!


NANCY


My stomach shrivels to the size of a pea as I turn to face Sandrine St Bride. When I see that Elspeth is with her, my heart sinks to hell.


“Hello, Carlton, thought you could do with some help with the new roomie. She might not be as cognisant of linguistics, you know, due to her dotage and non-hipness.”


“Hi, Sandy, Elspeth, come in, come in. As for you, Mrs Camper Reterson, please take a seat and I’ll be right back.”


The door is firmly shut, and for half an hour I’m left outside. Although furious and chillly, I keep calm, there is no way these drones are besting me! 


“You can come in now.” A cold voice informs me...through the kitchen window, then a key is tossed out. “Get used to using that.”


Less than a minute later I’m in the kitchen. “Hello, all…” I affect meekness. “...first, you will not believe how sorry I am for…”


“No we won’t, so be quiet and listen.” Elspbeth interrupts.


“Way to go, Mom!” The blood freezes in my veins when I hear that Phoenix woman’s voice. 


“As ordered, seriously, Sandy, your Phil is a bit of a bossy boots, have brought the lobster and champagne.” I hide my delight. As this was not what I expected to be having food wise. The benefits of being in this ‘jailhouse’ are already presenting themselves. Yes, I could do without Edna and the other chap, but at least the food will be good. She looks around us. “Still in Maryland then?”


“Back on Friday.” Edna replies with a smile. “Left the recipe…” She holds up a piece of paper, before turning to me. “...which you will cook, whilst we explain what will be the terms of your residency here.”


Two hours later, my hands are sore and I’m beyond humiliated! If they think that I’m walking some dogs and being a maid in this house, they are very wrong! I finish my ham sandwich, for although I cooked the lobster, to perfection I might add, I did not have any of it. And having to watch them eat it, quite frankly like savages, was galling. I head downstairs to put away my plate, for my room is a place for ‘reflection’, whilst I’m tempted to just put it in the dishwasher I rinse it off and put it away. 


I’m about to go back upstairs when I hear voices. I stand next to the oven, which is by the window to listen. 


“Tomorrow is going to be long and doubly embarrassing for her!” Edna brays. “Hope she gets a good night’s sleep. A woman of her advanced years is going to need her strength, especially having to face those who she previously considered who were once her...now how did Lynette say she described then before?”


“Lessers and lowers.” Sandrine laughs. “And those she considered frenemies will also be there to welcome her into the kitchen at the country club. Let’s hope she doesn’t do a repeat of what she did in the diner.”


“Fancy a brandy?” Edna asks, and I scurry upstairs before they can see me, with one thought in my mind: I got away from this hell before, I will do it again!


BEN AND ROBIN’S HOUSE - NEXT DAY


DINING ROOM


BEN


I look up as Emmett and George come down the path. One of the great things about this house is the dining room is at the back of the house and the patio doors are open.


“Helloooo!” Ems calls out. “Oh, these screens are gorgeous, but why do you need them?” He strokes the fabric. “Where did you get them from?” 


“Not telling.” Brian drawls as he and Robin pushes them wider apart so that they can take in the dining room table. “So come on in then, and it was Ben’s idea.”


“What is?” George asks. “This looks truly gorgeous! Oh the smells, takes me right back to my time there!”


“Your wedding.” Slick replies. “And those…” She points at the screens. “...are yours. I will drop them off after this.”


“How is this our wedding?” Ems frowns.


“Because you’re getting married first. We can wait.” Debs announces as she comes in with a tray full of beers. 


“Married first...now wait, please, Ben, can you explain what this is about?” Ems demands. 


“We’re not getting married before you, so after the fundraiser, the first wedding to happen is yours; and today is your tasting of your wedding banquet food.” Their jaws drop. “Every single time you would suggest Indian food and got rejected, we felt so bad for you. So let’s start with the coronation chicken and poppadom sarnie.” I cut one side in half. “Share.”


“Oh, that is delicious!” George declares. 


“And your honeymoon is also sorted out.” Brian hands Ems a napkin. “Dry your eyes, you nelly bottom.”


“It is? Where are we going?” He takes a bite of his sarnie and holds up his hand. “This is just ours.” 


“Can we answer now?” Justin grins, Ems nods. “You are going to London for National Curry Week, which is in October, then India for two weeks, you know, to compare and contrast the...oh, Ems!” He quickly hands him napkins as he sinks down to the floor. “At least sit on a chair. Oh, by the way, there will be thrones and you will be dressed as Maharajas. Stern words will have to be had with Brian over who gets hierarchy over the out...”


“The grooms!” Ems fixes Brian a beady stare. “Not the Stud of...just show me!” Brian hands over his phone; we go quiet as Ems checks through it. “I warn you now, Brian, none of these are to be on your person at our wedding, this is the one thing that I will be a groomzilla over!”


“Go back two, I like that one.” George declares.


“And I like this one, shall we get them now?” Ems beams and then is pulling out his card when George nods. 


“Ahem, upstairs, second on the left, go change.” Slick grins as they gallop away. “No checking, Kinney-Taylor!” She orders, handing him back his phone. “Although, judging by that squeal, we got it right! Debs, let’s go help. And no nibbling until we’re back!” 


I snort when Justin puts back the lid on the biryani bowl with a scowl. Half an hour later they all return. They look so handsome, but more importantly, so happy. 


“Now what do we have here?” George asks before looking surprised as Robin guides him to the other end of the table. “Because?” 


“We want you to sit like that.” I return. “So on the tasting today, we have chicken tikka masala, vegetable and paneer dum biryani, baked onion bhajis, Keralan prawn curry, baked chicken cafreal and the one we’re not too sure about shallot curry.” 


“Is it that one?” He points at a dish, Justin nods whilst George’s eyes go wide. “No, remove immediately.”


BRIAN


I make sure that Justin is distracted whilst talking to Robin before carefully sliding his piece of chicken cafreal onto my plate and quickly eating it. He reaches for the naan and slathers it generously in ghee before going to pick up his now-missing chicken. 


“Huh?” He looks on the floor around him and I turn to Slick. “Brian! That’s mean!”


“What’s that?” I smile, he glowers. “Sunshine, what is it?”


“You took it, I know you did! Someone saw him didn’t they?!”


Nobody says a word. “You’ve got to build up an appetite for when you get home…”


“You are not getting anywhere near me tonight!” He snaps.


“If that’s how you feel, then that’s how you feel, but may I make a suggestion with the naan? Try and slice it and put the ghee between them, as well as on top. That way it really sinks all the way…”


“You are a most beautiful human, Brian.” Ems grins. “And I’m going with the kitchen of her Slickness?” Slick cocks both her ‘guns’, I nod, Justin looks confused. “Justin, darling, they said it was Ben’s idea. For all this to be cooked in the time we were summoned, it…”


“Brian…” Justin puts the naan down. “...did you prepare this, all of it?” He waits for me to nod before dipping the naan into prawn curry. “Slick, you are on wrangling the groomzillas, I want to help my husband cook this. If I could make a few suggestions?”


“Is one of them lobster…” Ems begins.


“Yes, amongst others; we need chutneys, lamb chops, grilled prawns, parathas and...oh desserts, we need them!”


“Justin, am I not your husband, who, knowing how much you love Ems, and what you know now, has a plan in place?” 


“Where?” He moans.


“Mud room fridge.” I smile, then smile wider when he surveys the table. 


“How much is in there?”


“All of this, but tweaked a bit, so you need to pick wisely. Stay and eat what remains or go home and eat off your very contrite husband.”


“Goodbye, everyone!” Justin hollers starting to run out, but then runs back to grab the last naan. “Come on, Brian, hustle-hustle!”


BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I’m officially stuffed! What he cooked for Ems and George to taste was great, but this was even better. “What did you do differently?” I ask quietly. 


“As much as they both love Indian food, they don’t like the heat that sometimes comes with it. You do.” 


“The wings.” I can still feel the sting of their heat on my lips. “Just ours.”


“What about the sushi?” He asks, after finishing the last piece.


“That too.” I smile, then rest my head in his lap. He takes my hand, and I feel myself start to slip into a wonderful food coma.


“All I have to do is work out how to do the eggs masala for breakfast without Baggie flooring me or flooding the kitchen with drool.” I snort before sitting up and gesture for him to lie down. 


I spoon into his lap. “How about you do their eggs before, then let them ‘go for gambol’ whilst we have our breakfast?”


“Smart, sexy and beautiful.” He murmurs. Ten minutes later, all residents of Britin are asleep.


HALF AN HOUR LATER


I feel the bed dip. I wait until I here the creak of the 13th step, followed by the click of the lounge door. I get up and put on my robe, feeling relieved that at least he’s wearing the sweats he ‘casually’ laid out earlier. I avoid the noisy step and head to the kitchen, before making my way to the back door. Thankfully it is slightly ajar.


“Now Baggie, I need you to be good tomorrow.” Brian tells him as his third favourite boy rests his head on his shoulder. “We were going to have eggs for breakfast but I need to test one more thing and I know how much you like brisket...” Baggie’s tail starts to swish clapping him on the back. “...on biscuits and we both know how much you love bread with gravy. 


“Can we have the eggs for lunch then?” I ask quietly as Baloo sits by my side. 


“Hmm. Ems and George want to taste it before they go to Washington at lunch time.” They shift along the step so we can sit down. “You warm enough?” I sit between his legs then nod. “Go gambol.” He orders, we chuckle as Baloo and Baggie take off. “How long have you known about the chatting?”


“Since we got them. But it’s been more regular lately, what’s bothering you?”


“Michael. He’s been too quiet. Normally, he would be yelping for this attorney or something and he’s not done that.”


I ponder this, he raises a good point. “Let’s call ours, see what he’s up to.” I look up at him and the relief is clear as day even in the gloom of the night. “And next time you want to talk…”


“I didn’t want to worry you.” He sighs.


“It’s not me worrying...” I whisper. “...it’s him winning. By saying nothing to me, about your fears, he’s winning. He knows you and still can read you like a book. So by…”


“I am an idiot. I’m sorry.”


“My idiot.” He nods and we watch the boys in silence. “How long does the brisket take to cook? And by cook, I mean get to the stage of Baggie approved tenderness?”


“On a lower heat about eight hours that way the fat and the bones impart their…”


“Bone in brisket and your chicken bone broth gravy? And the ‘biscuits’ would be ciabatta bread?” I squirrel my way around his waist and kiss his face all over. “Promise me you will feed Baggie first at least that way we get bone to ourselves and…” I stop and stare at him. “...what? What have you done?”


“Three of them. One for Ems and George. One for me and you and one for the boys.”


“A whole brisket for the boys?” I echo. “Now what?” I huff as he begins to chuckle.


“You and I both know that we would be feeding them at opposite ends of the orchard!”


“This is very true!” I laugh before getting up and helping him to do the same. “Call them in and let’s go back to bed.”


“Boys!” Brian hollers and immediately they come back and barrel into the lounge. After he locks up, he lowers the temperature on the oven. “Now, let’s eat into that time shall we?”






Coronation chicken and poppadom sarnie:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/quick-and-easy/coronation-chicken-and-poppadom-sarnie/ 

Chicken tikka masala:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/chicken-tikka-masala-2/

Vegetable and paneer dum biryani:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/vegetable-and-paneer-dum-biryani/

Baked onion bhajis: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/baked-onion-bhajis/

Baked chicken cafreal: https://www.mallikabasu.com/2014/10/10/baked-chicken-cafreal/

Kerala prawn curry: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kerala-prawn-curry

Spiced wings:

https://glebekitchen.com/indian-spiced-chicken-wings-with-tamarind-dipping-sauce/

Indian sushi

http://mamasecretrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/11/spicy-indian-sushi.html

George’s Maharaja outfit:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0826/7263/files/2H0A8938_1.jpg?v=1587145355

Emmett’s Maharaja outfit:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0826/7263/files/2H0A0784_1.jpg?v=1587148879

Beef brisket:

https://www.izabellanatrins.com/recipe/old-fashioned-slow-cooked-beef-brisket-the-new-fast-food/

Bone broth gravy: https://wanderlustandwellness.org/bone-broth-gravy/

 

Chapter End Notes:

If you review, please be kind and constructive. Thx