- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - SO THAT IS WHAT YOU KNOW...

 

BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

I'm so nervous. Baggie and Baloo are confused by them having their leashes on in the house, but it has to be done. They tend to get excitable when they meet someone for the first time.

 

“Uh, why?” Gus indicates the leashes.

 

“Slick has a dog.” I reply. “First time meeting.”

 

“Wouldn't that be better done outside then?” He frowns just as the door goes.

 

“No. Go answer the door.” Justin tells him with a grin pulling.

 

“You guys okay?” He calls over his shoulder as he lopes, as only teenage boys can, to open it. “First Auntie Ems has an attack of the vapours, and then…” I grin at Justin. “...and then Slick has a dog, who is gorgeous! What’s his or her name?!”

 

“Polo. Can we come in?!” Slick laughs. “Want to take him to meet them then?”

 

“Yeah!” Gus enthuses. “Where’s Lindon? And what is he?”

 

“Just coming. Had to get something out of the car. And a Cane Corso.”

 

“Dad, Papa, isn’t he gorgeous?!”

 

 

Polo immediately flops down on the floor and looks up at Baggie and Baloo, who get down to introducing themselves. We all hold our breath but needn’t have worried as they take to each other instantly.

 

“Shall I take them outside now?” Gus’s smile is infectious.

 

“Thought you might want to meet someone else first.” I nod behind him and he turns around and goes stock still. “Beautiful isn’t she?”

 

“Wha…” He trails off and slowly approaches Lindon who has a frowning Annabeth in his arms. “...who is she?”

 

“Annabeth.” Lindon replies proudly. “Guys, can you come in please?!”

 

“Guys? Who else is…” Gus begins, but stops as the rest of the family pile in. “...Dad, Papa, what is going on?”

 

“First, let’s get the boys out, as there are far too many people.” Slick orders, and we nod but Justin and I exchange looks. There is something off with her tone.

 

Five minutes later they are running around playing, and we head back to the lounge.

 

“So, Gus, this is Annabeth. She’s mine and Lindon’s daughter.” Slick strokes Annabeth’s head. “Rip off the bandage approach okay?” She looks at Lindon and he nods. “She was adopted and she’s your half sister.”

 

“What do you mean his half sister?” I look around; everyone looks puzzled and stunned.

 

“Who told you? When did you know?” Carl scrubs his face.

 

“A month ago.” Slick rifles in her bag. “We were given baby pictures and stuff. Sit down, you three.” Justin, Gus and I just drop into the sofa. “I just could not believe it when I saw it.” She hands me a picture. “Look. See. Mel come and look too.” She quickly joins us and we crowd around. “I’ve seen all of your baby pictures, Gus, since he is a very proud Dad. She looks just like you but with darker skin and hair.”

 

“But in order for her to be his sister, either me or Lindsay would…” I gasp and stare at Annabeth, then Gus, then back to Slick. “...Lindsay’s the mother?!”

 

“Yep.” Suddenly she looks so tired, so I guide her to a chair; Debs grabs a glass and fills it with the first thing that her hand touches. “Need something stronger than water.”

 

“Shit, sorry sweetheart!” She grabs the bottle of brandy and pours generously. “So she got knocked up?! Who the hell by?!”

 

“Father is unknown. Got someone looking into that. Trying to get a timeframe. But, Gus, your thoughts? This is why I wanted Hunter to be with you.”

 

“She’s not my half sister.” He replies quietly; she flinches and Justin looks stunned, but slowly Gus starts to smile. “She’s my sister. You’ve always been so much more than a friend, heck more of a mom than she ever was or would be. Annabeth is my sister, completely and utterly! Can I call Jenny and Molly now?!”

 

“Um, I hate to bring the mood down.” Ems takes her from Lindon and she gurgles happily. “Hello my pretty Anna-Bee. But could she have kept anything of Brian’s?”

 

“Kept anything? What do you mean anything?” Mel scratches her head and then realises at the same times as me. And we freeze. “Oh no, surely not?!”

 

“She had the support account siphoned off and you didn't know until she was in jail.” Lucy begins carefully. “Is there any way of checking? I mean you two are still married, but you still have the control order, so you could have someone look into everything.”

 

“Or we could do a DNA test.” I suggest. My heart is pounding and I feel sick, not because she might be mine, far from it, but if she is mine then Lindsay would never have told me. “That's the quickest way, isn't it?”

 

“Yes.” Lindon is understandably wary. “And if she is?”

 

You are her father. I am one of three godfathers. I would relinquish my rights, you have my word.”

 

“Hang on second, how is Lindsay even going to know about Annabeth?” Carl frowns and then gasps. “Slick, you can't be serious?!”

 

“This is my daughter we're talking about, so yeah I am serious. Lindsay has been released…”

 

“How the hell do you know that?! Where is she?!” Mel exclaims.

 

“Brandon told me.” Slick takes a huge gulp of brandy. “And the reason that she is going to know about Annabeth is because I am going to tell her.” She holds up her hand as the disbelief gets louder. “And I have asked for the restraining order to be lifted.”

 

“Are you insane?! She is going to hound you?!” Hunter explodes.

 

“And that’s what you want her to do, isn't it?” Ben chuffs a laugh and shakes his head. “This could backfire spectacularly you know?”

 

“That's what we are hoping for.” Lindon drains the rest of her glass then tops it up.

 

“Meaning?” Hunter scratches his head and glares at Justin’s giggling after he finished counting on his fingers. “So explain then!”

 

“She got almost five years in jail, but only served two or so. Her fixation and desire to be better above all else, and her need to wield power, what little she has, is such that she will be serving the rest of her time in no time flat!” Jennifer explains with a smile. “But I would wait a while, Slick.”

 

“We just want this done. The quicker she....” Lindon pauses. “...what? What do you know?”

 

“She's just got a new Daddy in the form of Dr David Cameron, and it appears that he hasn't disclosed one tiny nugget of information to his new wife.” Jennifer pauses. “He has failed to mention that he’s gay.”

 

“You're kidding me?!” I splutter.

 

“Nope. Remember just before you went to New York and you asked me to check around?” Justin and I nod. “But then you ended up staying a year and he was forgotten about. When you said you were coming back, I spoke to Sandrine, and as far as the WASPs are concerned, Nancy has landed a big and straight, much younger fish!”

 

“And a dominant. A bad one.” Slick adds, and this time Jennifer is gaping. “And I get to tell the new bride, and no longer grandmamma, that too!”

 

We all take that in and Ems starts to look a little queasy. “Boys, why don't you two go and get to know Anna-bee, I mean Beth, and call Jenny and Molly while we talk?”

 

“What about?” Gus looks around, taking his sister who frowns slightly. “Hey, sweetie, I am your big brother, Gus.” She gazes at him for a few along seconds before blowing a raspberry at him. “We're gonna get along just fine. So, what are you guys going to talk about?”

 

“How the marriage of The Avenue didn't happen on The Avenue.” Ems replies with a lascivious grin. “I have my theories, and need a few scenarios to get my groove back.”

 

“So your gonna talk about how you and Papa got married? I want to hear that too.” He protests.

 

“Not this version you don’t!” I smirk, and it takes a few seconds for him to realise. When he does, he turns heel with Hunter and leaves. “So, Ems, how rated did you want it?”

 

“I haven't spanked my bank in a year. Hot as hell, please!”

 

“Uh, Gus, wait for us!” Carl calls out, and soon it is just me, Justin, Ems and Slick.

 

“Um, Slick, this is…” Ems nods at the door.

 

“Where do you think I get my tips from?” She grins. “Now that we are sitting comfortably, you may begin.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly. Thanks.