- Text Size +

CHAPTER 53 - THE TRIFECTA OF REALISATION


BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S MARYLAND APARTMENT - EARLY NEXT MORNING


MAIN BEDROOM


JUSTIN


“Are you going to tell me what’s bothering you or stare at the ceiling grinding your teeth?” Before he can switch on the light, I pin him down. “Talk position?” I kiss his nose and head to the lounge. Him adorably nibbling on his thumb as he joins me makes my heart flutter, it’s those little things that he only does with me that make me love him more every day. Once he gets comfortable I get between his legs and rub both thighs. “Go.”

“I’m curious. It’s silly as it was a long time ago, but were you ever jealous?” I look up. “About Ben, were you?”

“Why are you asking now?” I stall, he snickers. “What?”


“Thought you were. Why not ask me or say something?”


“I guess I didn’t want to know. I mean, you slept with him and…”

 

“That’s what Slick said. She said, 'you slept with him, not fucked, slept with'.” I turn and he loops his arms around my waist. “Justin, what do you want to know?”

 

“You were at the White Party, you went there to fuck, so why did you sleep with him?”

 

“Because we did; he’d just used the john when he asked an odd question..” I rack my brains, trying to think of what it could be. “He asked is this where I wanted to be in my life right now?” I blink a few times then chuckle. “...yeah, not what I was expecting either. I was so surprised I told him no and what I wanted to be as a kid. He didn’t laugh when I said…”

 

“You wanted to play soccer professionally in Italy.” I smile. “Did you ever tell Michael?”

 

“Mmm. His answer when I asked was gigolo, might as well get paid for doing what you’re best at were his exact words.” He pauses looking thoughtful. “Even then that was all he saw. Ben said he was there for an experiment; to see if we subscribed to the cliche of a promiscuous gay man.” 

 

“He didn’t need to go to a White Party to find that out!” I declare.

 

 

“That’s what I said!” He reaches for the blanket and adjusts us so we’re lying down face to face. “Told him he came to subscribe to the cliche and disguise it as research. We ended up talking for hours, trying to dissect the gay men tribes. We had sex again the next morning; he left the party, and I never saw him again until Michael introduced us.” I stare at him as I realise something. “Yep, he’s the other guy. I count him twice because he was different the second time. He was himself. I fucked the rest. I make love to you. Even though we get hot, heavy, fast and furious, it’s still making love.”

 

“Ben and Michael; were you ever jealous?” He shakes his head. “Thought not, you were relieved that they were together, because you knew he was a good guy. Then you were even more relieved when they broke up, because Ben deserved better?” He nods. “And that’s why you never said anything about Palm Springs and his retirement dream.”

 

There’s a few seconds of silence before he clears his throat. “When did you work that out?” I kiss his collar bone. “You’re right. I’ve only lied to him once and that was by omission, as I never said it would never happen.”

 

“Do you miss him?” He strokes my chin before planting butterfly kisses. “Do you?”


“I miss who he was...”


“When did you see the change in him?” He looks annoyed, which surprises me. “Brian what is it?”


“I’m not angry for me, I’m angry about what he did to Ben. He didn’t love him, he went for him because of the threat he represented. He wanted...”


“...you to rescue him; why didn’t you?”


“Because Ben truly loved him, and I thought with time…”


“He would come to love him too?” I rest my head under his chin. “Don’t…” I order, feeling relieved as his tension ebbs away. “...thank you.” I nibble his chin. “Can you please listen to what I’m going to say?” He sits us up, our legs wrapped around each other. “Whatever you want to do with regards to the victim statement, I will back you up.” I can hear him thinking. “I know that…”

 

“You froze, which I’m not mad about, I never have been, you believe me don’t you?” I nod sighing with relief. “You twit. You’d never seen it so wouldn’t think of it being walnuts. This was about you, showing the world that he’s the one to save me, not you.” I lift my head and another butterfly kiss is planted. “I would’ve been indebted to him again, and…” He holds me tight. “...and that, above all else, is what I hate him for.” We contemplate this for a few minutes. “I’m not going to write one, you are, because the victim of all of this, ever since the day he found out about us, is you.”

 

“That’s…”


“Final. The statement comes from you.” He rolls us over; the kiss is slow, deep and sweet, I’m chasing him when he lifts his head. “Bed or balcony?” 


“Here.” I growl, then slide down to my happy place.


EOHOPS HOUSE - MID-MORNING


KITCHEN


EDNA


We quietly observe the pair of them. According to Lynnette, she changed her top four times and asked about her make up twice. Slick rocks Annabee on her hip, smiling softly. 

 

“You do realise that you’re not going to defeat me?!” Hiram fumes as he tightens his grip. “Give it up, dammit!”

 

“You do realise you’re speaking to a turk...” The sound of the joint finally cracking under his pressure has him whooping. “My hero!” She laughs. He sniffs imperiously, then kisses both ‘guns’. “Now, next we have to debone it, then…”


“You remember those packs of already jointed turkey that were lovingly displayed in the butcher’s window? If we’d bought them, then this would go a lot quicker!”


“That’s why she didn’t, idiot!” Carlton’s exasperation finally boils over. Fair enough, this has been going on for an hour, and whatever make up she had on has been mussed up as she face-palmed when Hiram wanted to take the quick way. “Monks and nuns get clues faster!” 


Hiram scowls at Slick’s tittering. “I am well aware of what is being played out here, well what I hope is being played out. I just don’t want to presume.”

 

“Excuse me, I would like to point out that…”

 

“You’ve been checking me out as much as I’ve been checking you, so settle your horses, and ask me out for dinner.” Hiram orders, pushing the turkey aside, then leaning against the counter. “Not sure when you started to, but I…”


“About two days after we met.” Lindsay is blushing. “I would be very pleased if you would accompany me for dinner, Hiram.”


“And I would be very pleased to accept.” He replies, his grin widening. “So, we can put this in the freezer and go get ready? It’s tonight, right? I see no merit in hanging about, do you?”


“Pretty Whimsy!” Annabee burbles having been napping. “Hup!” 

 

“Give her to me.” Slick hands her over with a smile. “Not now, Beebee, Pretty Whimsy has to get ready for her date. It’s a long way…”

 

“Is it?” Slick frowns.


“Yeah, been thinking about that place in Maryland. It needs checking out a bit more, why not let them do it for you?”


“Because...” I can’t believe Slick has not caught on yet.


“Yeah, I think that’s a great idea, Mom!” Carlton grins. “The two of them in what was that judge's place. All alone with nobody to stop them getting...”


“I’ll book the flights!” Slick exclaims. 


“And I’ll get the condoms!” Lindsay declares, trying to wrestle off her apron; then realisation hits.


“Commons commons!” Annabee sing-songs.

 

“Um, ah. I…”

 

“You’d need to get a size large.” Hiram mutters; Lindsay gapes; all eyes drift down. “Apparently, what I lack in height, I have in length and girth.” He adds, going a fetching shade of pink. 


“If I may add something.” Carlton looks very smug. “Apart from my work here being done?” He waits for one of them to nod, Lindsay does. “Grab her whilst you can. That’s one hell of a mind she’s got.” 


“Thank you, Carlton.” Lindsay mumbles, looking relieved. 


“Why don't you two go and pack? We’ll sort the rest out.” Slick drawls; if two people could teleport they would.


I step further into the kitchen, kicking the door shut behind me. Slick starts to put the turkey away. “Well?”


“Well what?” Carlton stalls.


“I brought you up to take your shots when you can. Give it.” I demand. 

 

“The mouth on her…” Carlton looks dreamy. “...took me a while to see straight.”

 

FRACKVILLE PRISON - AFTERNOON


DR MANNING’S [MEDICAL EXAMINER] OFFICE


BRANDON


I can’t wait to get home to Kyle to tell him this! Novotny is being swabbed on the inside of his cheek; he is magenta with humiliation.


“This is necessary…” Manning tries again, having spent the last fifteen minutes trying to explain to him what was happening, but he had refused to cooperate by opening his mouth or taking his fingers out of his ears. In the end, the arrival of me and two other guards helped him lower his arms and to quote Debs ‘open up a mouth’. “...as I was trying to say; this is a process of confirmation, not elimination. As it being anybody’s but yours is highly unlikely…”


“He could’ve gotten that anywhere!” Novotny bitches. “And where is my attorney?!” 


“That could be argued if the sperm was dry, it wasn’t.” 


“Which means what?” Novotny snaps.

 

“That you either got off on each other. You got off on him in his sleep and the shock killed him. Or even worse, you knew he had died and lived out your necrophilia fantasy!” 

 

“The first one! Definitely the first one!” Novotny exclaims, going redder. “I’m not...the other two!”


“Why the hell didn’t you just say that’s what you did in the first place?!” One of the guards explodes.


“It’s embarrassing, obviously!” Novotny looks at him as if he’s the stupid one.


“You don’t think this is?!” I snarl. 


“My attorney...” He orders beginning to sit, Manning’s glare stops him. “Well I'm obviously cleared of…”


“No, you’re not.” Manning states, Novotny’s not the only one puzzled. “This sample needs to be checked against what was found in his rectum.” He looks Novotny up and down with disgust. “So you need to tell us exactly what it was you two did!”


At first Novotny is just open-mouthed; then he clears his throat. “He said I could try. He’d never…and I have, but it’s been a long…” He glares when I start to snigger, followed by the other guards. Manning remains professional...just. 


“Did you even get it in before you shot your load?” I can’t resist the barb.

 

“He came first!” He snaps; judging by that expression never has a truer question been asked in jest. “Flopped over like a whale, shoved me away; that’s when he must have gotten stuff on himself.”

 

“Hold on. First you were wanking, and now you say you were about to top. If you didn’t get inside him, how did it get there?” Manning demands, “We asked around, you were the only person near him, and have been ever since you got here.” He pauses and frowns, seems to be wracking his brains. “Take him back to his cell. You can finish questioning him once we’ve got confirmation of  whose that is.” I nod. “Be about an hour or so.”


As the guards lead him grumbling out, I hang back. “What’s going on?” 


He leans against the desk. “Cameron-Peterson had creds before Novotny clung to him like a limpet. Yeah, he was snarky, but he was a doctor. That put him high up the pecking order…”

 

“So?”

 

“So why would he let a low ranking fish like Novotny do that? Makes no sense.” I dig my hands in my pockets. Manning’s eyes widen. “Unless...let me check something else out. I need his personal effects, and him taken to the Warden’s office. Now!” I run out the door; ten minutes later Novotny is fuming but silent as we wait for Warden Halstead to say we can come in.


WARDEN AVA HALSTEAD’S OFFICE - THREE HOURS LATER


NOVOTNY

 

“Are you going to tell me, or would you like me to draw my own conclusions?” She scowls at me, she can do that till her face gets stuck; I fully intend to maintain my silence. I did nothing that neither of us didn’t want, but the sharp jab in my ribs from my attorney has me wincing then glowering at him. “It was consensual!”

 

“He’s a doctor, well he was, he would’ve known that this would’ve been too many.” Halstead continues.


“I don’t know how much he took before we…”


“Just like you didn’t know that your best friend is allergic to walnuts, eh?” She retorts, I say nothing. “You’re aware how this looks: two people having an adverse reaction whilst in your presence, but one ends up dead.”


“That was Nancy's idea. As I’ve said time and time again, I would never have harmed Brian like that.”


“Which is why their epipens were with you and not her…”

 

“She planted them!”

 

HALSTEAD

 

“And you didn’t notice when you were having your personal effects signed in that you had three epipens, two of which were solid gold?” Brandon drawls. “Save it, Novotny. Your luck ran out with Brian, in every way.” He looks peevish but smug; which is so frustrating. I’m hoping Manning will help us wipe that look off his face. The is a sharp rap on the door. “Can I open it?” He doesn't wait for my response. On seeing Manning and the look on his face, I start to smirk. He takes his time sitting down. “Well?” I demand. 

 

“The evidence supports what he says happened.” Manning sighs, Novotny looks smugger. “I do have a question for him…” He turns to Novotny. “...did you take any?” 


“I took one, or was it two? You saw him after all. It was not because I needed it.” He smarms.


“I meant before your tryst, had you been getting high on his supply?” He holds Novotny’s gaze until he nods. “Without his permission I’ll bet.”


“I’ll be sure to get a message to him on the other side.” He declares; oh how I want to knock him off that lofty perch of his! “May I go now?”

 

“Yes, I’ll see you in a minute. Make sure he doesn’t touch anything that he shouldn't again.” There’s something gleeful about the way he’s said that. Everyone notices. Novotny looks less smug. “He must have known, that explains it…at least you got off for one last time!”

 

“What are you talking about?” Brandon states, though he’s smirking, we know Manning of old, he’s got that ‘flinty glint’ which means he’s about to make someone’s day, and I’ll bet my 401K it’s ours.


“Did he say it was Viagra?” Novotny nods; Manning shakes his head. “It wasn’t. He was taking pills for his heart condition. Both have the same effect if taken when they don’t need to be.”


“Which is?” His attorney frowns. “And what were they?”


“One was enalapril and the other was chlordiazepoxide. There is more missing than there should be, so you must have been helping yourself for a while…” Manning starts to chuckle. “...and they make you impotent...”


“Impo…” His attorney gapes, then looks at a still and pale Novotny. “...oh dear.”  

 

“Why would he tell me that it was Viagra?!” Novotny shrieks. 

 

“Because…” I hoot. “...he knew you would take it!” The room rocks with laughter. “When did he tell you that’s what it was?!”


“The night I arrived.” Novotny whispers before going paler. “I started to take…”


“Steal. You started to steal from him that night, right?” Novotny nods and whimpers. “Hmmm, well that’s unfortunate.” Manning opens the door. “If you’ve taken as much as I think you have, you’re never getting hard again!”

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE


ATTORNEY’S MEETING ROOM 6 - NEXT MORNING


NANCY


I stare at the paper then my attorney. He looks thin lipped with impatience. “Six years?” 


“Yes, you were complicit in your late husband’s behaviour by not reporting his attack on your daughter, and…”


“He’s lucky he’s dead!” I spit. “And if this goes to court; what then?” 


“How do you think it will work out for you if Lynette takes the stand?” He retorts.

 

“At least there will be something waiting for me at the end of this!” I seethe; he looks puzzled. “Now, for the actual purpose of this meeting...” I put the paper face down. “...the other trial. With my late husband’s estate, can something be offered to remove me from the picture?”

 

“Restitution you mean?” He looks sceptical. “We could. As long as you stick to your statement, lay the blame at Novotny’s door.”


“It’s true that I was dispensing with rubbish; everything points to him. It was all him.” He regards me coolly. “I’ve already accepted that I’m going to jail for what I did…”


“Didn’t. You’re going to jail for what you didn’t do.” He stands, then nods at the paper. “You need to sign it.” I reread it again before picking up a battered biro and signing. “I will be back, don’t go anywhere.” 


TWO HOURS LATER

 

I’ve been allowed two bathroom breaks since his departure. I’m about to ask where he is when he returns. His countenance gives nothing away. “How much do they want?” He sits down in silence, taking his time to sort through the papers. “May I have some water, please?” I ask the guard. I want to scream when he looks to my attorney first, who nods.

 

“Officer Willard requesting assistance. Officer Willard requesting assistance.” A few minutes later, the door opens and I stare at the replacement guard. I’ve seen her before, but for now can’t place her. “Thanks. She wants water.” She nods, then jerks her head. Although he looks surprised, he steps out. Five minutes pass before he returns with the water. 


“Go on your break. I’ve got this.” She smiles as she takes the water from him. I wipe my hand on my overall when she manages to spill some on me. “Commence recording.” She states; I count down the minutes till I’m out of their company, as her and my attorney have a level of indifference that is so insulting!

 

“They’ve rejected it.” He states flatly. “That’s what was taking the time, trying to get them to change their minds. They wouldn’t.”

 

“Why not? It’s a perfectly reasonable offer!” This is so frustrating. “Is it because he doesn’t need the money? Is that why he’s saying no?”


“No. His attorney wasn’t present during the discussion…” His steepled fingers press into the middle of his forehead. “...why would you offer something you weren’t in a position to? This has been a massive waste of my time!”


“What do you mean?” I frown, catching the smirk on the guard’s face, which turns into a grin.


“You were being divorced!” He snaps, I roll my eyes.

 

“Were being the operative word. We reconciled, and were going to fight the charges against him…” Her snickering reminds me who she is! “...you!”

 

“Me.” She laughs. 


“As I was saying!” My attorney smacks the table. “It seems that your late husband didn’t have time to get his paperwork in order!” He inhales sharply then shakes his head when I go to speak. “When he started initial proceedings, he had you removed as a beneficiary. He didn’t reinstate you before his death. You can offer nothing. The trial starts on Monday; attorney client interview for Nancy Peterson terminated at 1437!” 


I blink rapidly; this can’t be happening! There must be something I can do. Think, Nancy, think! 


“Peterson!” She jabs me in the shoulder. “Back to your cell now.” I get shakily to my feet. “You need to take that for your records.” She nods down at my ‘death warrant’. I crumple it into my pocket. “Nothing’s changed for you, has it?” She snipes. “The same can’t be said for me.”

 

“Really, Guard LeRoy, I’d have thought that this is a step down from a police officer?”

 

“No. Being a prison officer is where I’ve always wanted to be, and unlike you, I’m with someone that wants me.” 


“The correct word is who.” I retort as she looks up the corridor. 

 

“And my correct surname is Camperwick.” She states turning back to me. “Mrs Camperwick…” The realisation makes me gulp and tremble. “...caught on have you? But I shall be kind and give you a warning, just the one, Peterson. Behave or you will find out exactly how much my husband loves me.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.