- Text Size +

CHAPTER 54 - THUNDERBOLTS


BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S APARTMENT, MARYLAND - FOUR DAYS LATER


BALCONY


JUSTIN


Brian is constantly surprising me, but never in a million years did I expect this. Even more than the cooking, it was just out of nowhere. “Want some juice as well as coffee?” He calls from the kitchen. I stretch like a cat on our chaise lounge, basking in the sun trap. 


“What do we have?”


“Guava, orange, clementine or watermelon and strawberry.”


“What time did you get up to get all of that?” I call back as I tidy up the table where we’d been talking and he dropped the bombshell, which, if I am honest, I think I had an inkling about. There is another smell apart from coffee. “Brian, what else have you got?” 


“Sausage and egg sandwiches.” He replies, coming through with the tray. He laughs at my quick assistance. “Stop drooling and take the green plate.” I kiss him, take it then wait. Sighing, he opens his up so I can check his egg. After prodding I start batting. Huffing, he swaps them over. “Add the steak sauce to mine too; what juice did you want?” 


“Watermelon and strawberry with…”


“Lots of ice. I know.” He grins as he heads back inside. 


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


He’s scraping the remains of the yolk and crumbs; God I love the way he enjoys his food, in fact the way he enjoys everything he puts in that gorgeous mouth! “So when’s your next appointment?”


“He’s on standby for the trial.” I admit.


“So whose idea was it to speak to a therapist? Slick?” 


“Gus.” I wait for him to speak, because we’ve kept this from him.


“Is he having appointments too?” I nod, he loops my arm over his shoulder and his round my waist. “I’m glad not mad, so start breathing.” I chuckle in relief. “I know it’s only been a few days, but I love it here. Phone.”


“Comfy; let it go to voicemail.” I plead, but this is his one thing; ever since Slick. The only way a call goes to voicemail is if he doesn’t hear the phone ring. 


“You’re kidding?!” He gasps. “Why?” I join him, gesturing that it should go on speaker, but, shaking his head, he hangs up then stares into space for a few seconds. “That was Lorrimer, he said we need to go back. The trial is starting on Wednesday.”


“Really?! I was looking forward to these two weeks. With Cameron gone, it was pushed to next month. It’s not as if they’re going anywhere.”


“He said he’d explain better when we’re with him. He’s also stepping back and letting Josiah, Philip and Lionel take over as they will be quicker than him.”


“Quicker? I don’t understand.”


“Neither do I, said that with them it would be done in two days.” Justin whispers. 


“What? Why?” He wobbles so I pick him up and take him back out to the chaise. I hold him for a few minutes whilst he gets himself together. “Have some juice.” He trembles, reaching for his glass. “Let me.” He sinks back against the chaise and I make him finish it. “Did he give you anything?”


“Just said order the champagne and plan for the rest of our lives.”


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - TWO DAYS LATER


COURTROOM ONE


MICHAEL


The trial starting now is a shock. However, to be able to get away from prison and the jokes that are being made at my expense by the entire prison makes it a blessing of sorts; but at least them calling me Iggy the Imp and humming the tune to Lily the Pink is confined to my block. Looking around I see Ma, Carl, everyone except Brian and his husband. I try to attract the attention of Camperwick, our now joint attorney, as he’s talking to Nancy. I tap her elbow, she glares over her shoulder. “He needs to be between us, he’s our attorney and we both need to hear what he’s saying.” 


“True.” He agrees whilst Nancy looks annoyed as they swap. “As I was saying, the prosecution is going to open, and…”


“All rise.” The bailiff orders; the judge sits down, he doesn’t look at us, which makes Camperwick scowl. I nudge him, but he keeps his eyes front. “Presiding Judge Eduard Colbert. Court is in session, the State vs Michael Charles Novotny, also known as Michael Charles Grassi, and Nancy Agatha Peterson in the case of the attempted murder of Brian Aiden Taylor Kinney and the breaking and entering in the property of George Schickel. They’ve entered pleas of guilty to breaking and entering...not guilty to attempted murder.”


“Bullshit!” Someone declares.


“Duly noted.” The Usher drawls, which causes laughter, Judge Colbert coughs. “I apologise Your Honour…” He goes back to reading his papers. “...Defence attorney, Matthew Camperwick, and prosecuting attorneys, Josiah Momtanlinga, Lionel Barth and Philip St Bride.” Judge Colbert looks up. He blinks for a few seconds then nods. “Be seated.”


“Your honour…”


“Counsel Momtanglinga…” Judge Colbert sits back. “...before you continue, remember that this is not The Hague, simplicity is best.”


“Of course.” Josiah smiles. “My colleagues and I merely wish to request that the charges of breaking and entering be heard first, they’re the simplest.”


“Unless the defence has an objection, I will allow it.”


“No objection, Your Honour.” Camperwick states.


“Thank you. We wish to play the surveillance tape of the break in, Exhibit A.”


“Proceed.” 


The court is silent. It shows us in the cabin, making ourselves at home. I feel hateful looks stabbing into me from all sides. When Camperwick said it would be best if we admitted our guilt to this, at first I didn't want to, but then he reminded me who took us back to the diner, and that the prosecution would call him. No doubt he would embellish! I think back to when we were in the diner, and they said that Brian was dead. I can’t wait for him to get Slick on the stand! 


“If we could pause just there, please?” Josiah asks as he approaches the jury, standing with his back to them. “This next part comes with sound. Could it be turned up, Your Honour?”


“Yes.” He orders. 


Nancy and I exchange looks. We’re of the same mind: this is pointless, we’ve said what we’ve done. I want to get to the part where I take the stand and pile all of the blame on her! I jump as Nancy’s voice blasts through the courtroom.


“You must ask about Brian! What’s wrong?”


“A cottage, he is letting that creature feature queen stay in one of his cottages! I didn’t even know he had a cottage on the grounds!”


“And we are on the cusp of getting away with poisoning him, you need to focus on that! Now go and collect your stuff!”


“True! Two minutes!”


Sweating with realisation of what’s to come I hunker down; on screen I hug myself before dancing around my room. 


I get chills when I take out the epipens with a big smile and say. “I’ll take them to the same place I took Ma’s ring, he’ll give me a good price. He should be happy that they’re nice and clean, since I emptied them before they carted him away!”


MEETING ROOM 7 - SAME TIME


ALEX WINTER


“How are you feeling?” I ask Brian.


“I’m okay. It helped hearing it before…” He squeezes Justin’s hand. “...you ready?”


“Yeah. I want to see his face when he tries to justify trying to kill you because you wouldn't love him.” 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thx