- Text Size +

CHAPTER 55 - WHY THE HE DECIDED TO BE THE VILLAIN INSTEAD

 

MICHAEL

 

"Your honour, may we replay that part again?" Josiah doesn't even look at me...bloody cheek!

 

"Proceed."

 

As it replays, I recall the feeling of power I had when he was going into shock. Whilst it takes my all not to smile I couldn't believe my luck when Lindsay wasn't there! Oh, how I enjoyed his screaming. It didn't last, of course, as somehow they brought him around. 

 

"Stop that!" I snap at Camperwick when he jabs me in the ribs.

 

"Is there a problem?" Josiah calls out. I'm not sure when he moved back to his seat. "May we proceed?" He snipes.

 

"I would like to speak to my client. May I request a recess for about ten minutes?" 

 

"Of course you do. Prosecution has no objection?" Judge Colbert questions.

 

"None. If they need longer, then that's fine too." Josiah smarms.

 

MEETING ROOM SEVEN

 

CAMPERWICK

 

He sits there, smug as usual, he's the proverbial rotten onion, as you get to the core he gets more and more carious. "I want you to..."

 

"I shall be changing my plea to guilty." He declares. I blink a couple of times. "What's happening with my fellow defendant; shouldn't she be here too?" 

 

"As I was going to say, I want you to explain to me so that I can argue something as to why you did this?"

 

"No." He retorts. "And it was not just me, there's a we in this, where is she? Ask for her reasons, because mine are my own, which I'm not going to disclose. Although we wanted the same thing: for him to hurt." He sits back with a sly smile. "As of this point, I'm exercising my right to silence."

 

It takes all my restraint not to crack my chair across his face!

 

COURTROOM ONE - THIRTY MINUTES LATER

 

JOSIAH

 

All eyes are on the door; Judge Colbert is back in his chambers. In the interim, Nancy has been taken back to jail. She can be sentenced for her part in this later. I want him to question him first. Lionel lost the toss in the first round, and is sulking so much he had to call Matthias, so he's ready to cheer him up when he gets home. They are so sweet together; since Cameron's death they've gotten, if possible, closer. The spectre of him no longer haunts them, not in the sense of a malevolence, but, now how did he explain it once? I wanted to be pure for Matthias, not to have gone through the hurt in the first place. And of the person to correct that misconception, was the darling Sandy. She told him that he had to go through what he went through to be where he is with who he is.

 

"All rise!" The Usher orders; Judge Colbert looks really pissed off as he takes his seat. "I apologise to Your Honour for the delay in the reconvening; the defendant changed his plea, and..."

 

"Is not in a position to power play." Judge Colbert leans forward. "Stand." He does so, his eyes front, saying nothing but radiating scorn and braggadocio; this is a bad idea, especially to a judge known as Colbert the Cobra!

 

"Breathe." Phillip orders and I let it out, the suspense is overwhelming.

 

"Defence counsel, according to this, he is exercising his right to silence as well as pleading the fifth, correct?"

 

"Yes, Your Honour." Camperwick grits out. Novotny smirks.

 

"Interesting." He replies, the only sound now is him pouring the water into his glass. He drinks noisily, smacking his lips as he finishes. "He can do only one, which is it?" Novotny looks at Camperwick, who stares back. "So the right to silence is being..."

 

"Your honour, I plead the fifth." Novotny states. "I waive my right to silence."

 

"Noted. Let us proceed." Judge Colbert orders. "Prosecution to continue?"

 

"Yes, Your Honour. We call to the stand, Michael Charles Novotny."

 

"I have the right to refuse." He retorts. 

 

Colbert pours another glass of water. "Are you exercising that right?"

 

"Yes, of course." 

 

"I apologise on behalf of my client for his..."

 

"I'm not sorry for anything that has happened or is happening." He interjects, the anger begins to radiate. "Let's face it, that shows me doing what I meant to do, and I'm never going to say why, so let's just find me guilty and let everyone wonder."

 

MICHAEL

 

Whilst I'm enjoying the stunned silence that has resulted in that statement; I know it won't last long.

 

"You fucking asshole!" Is bellowed.

 

"I'm what you made me!" I shout back at Ma.

 

"What the hell are you talking about?! I never made you like this!" 

 

"Yes you did! You all did. By not being honest, you did this, so take some blame!"

 

"Oh for fuck sake!" I jump then scowl at Brian's snotty tone and snarky look. "This is what that was about?"

 

"And you are, sir?" Colbert asks.

 

"Sir?! Given his history of fucking around, he doesn't deserve that title!"

 

"Given that this is my court, I get to address people how I please!" Colbert snipes. "Sir, your name?"

 

"Brian Taylor-Kinney, the victim."

 

"Thank you. Please take a seat so this trial can continue." He nods and makes his way towards Ma, who has started to cry...good!

 

"Does the prosecution rest?"

 

"No, your honour, we call Lindsay Peterson to the stand." 

 

I gape at Camperwick, who keeps his eyes forward. "Did you know they were calling her?!" 

 

"Shut up and listen to the testimony!" Camperwick snaps. 

 

Whilst I sit back as they swear her in, I keep my eyes on my ex best friend and his husband; they don't seem bothered by what's about to be lived through. Why not?! What does he think this is about?!

 

"Miss Peterson, can you please tell the court how you came to save Mr Taylor-Kinney's life?" 

 

I sit appalled as she tells the court how she found the empty packages of walnuts and took a chance that it was that. I seethe as she crows about bulldozing her way in, spotting the rash and saving the day!

 

"And how did you know about the allergy?" Josiah asks.

 

"Brian told us."

 

"Us? Who else did he tell, and when?"

 

"The defendant, and it was about ten years ago." She looks across at me. "Why didn't you inject him like you did the first time?! What if he died?!"

 

"Miss Peterson, whilst your distress is understandable, please refrain from speaking to the defendant."

 

"My apologies."

 

"Accepted; however, could you clarify something you just said?" She nods; I swallow and pray. "When was the first time that he injected the victim?"

 

"When Brian first told us of his allergy. He wanted us to know what to look for and how to administer it, so...so he had some, and I...I froze. I was so shocked at how quick it was, I just froze. Michael did what was necessary and saved his life."

 

"Thank you, Miss Peterson. Your witness." 

 

"No questions." Camperwick returns, this I can't believe.

 

"Witness is excused." Colbert smiles at her, which she returns, but when she looks at me the look is deadly. 

 

I lean closer to Camperwick. "Why aren't you questioning her?"

 

"We're doing exactly as you wanted; finding you guilty." He whispers back.

 

"Does counsel require another recess?" Colbert demands.

 

"No, Your Honour." 

 

"Yes we do!" I declare, scowling at Camperwick.

 

"Mr Camperwick, could you two agree which one is the attorney?!"

 

"Your Honour, may we have a ten minute recess, please?"

 

"And not a second longer!" He snaps.

 

"Thank you, Your Honour." I call out as he stands. He sits back down and breathes deeply.

 

"Recess request denied. Prosecution to call their next witness." He orders; I wince when Camperwick jabs me in the arm. "Any objection from either ‘counsel', and I shall charge them both with contempt, but only one will reap the consequences!" He seems to be daring me to speak, I shan't give him the pleasure, Camperwick should thank his lucky stars! "As I thought. Prosecution, the floor is yours."

 

JOSIAH

 

"I call to the stand Justin Taylor-Kinney." I glance at Novotny; he's so close...oh, so very close!

 

As discussed, he doesn't look in Novotny's direction, keeping focused on me no matter how much the idiot fidgets, huffs puff and wants to blow the courthouse down, though I can see it's beginning to get to Colbert and the jury.

 

"Mr Taylor-Kinney, just to bring you back to Ms Peterson's testimony; given that she, like the defendant, has been estranged from your husband and her children, can you tell me how the relationship is between you all now?"

 

"Very good and getting better every day. She's coming for Christmas, and has been accepted by the boys." I try not to laugh, having seen the video. "And it's not because she saved Brian's life, but because she said sorry for everything she did and is getting help for what caused her actions."

 

"I'm glad to hear it. Everyone, well most people, deserve a second chance. Speaking of most people, how did the defendants react when they realised that their attempts at murder had failed?"

 

"That person's attempt, not hers. Whilst she went along with it, I don't believe she meant the same level of harm as he did." I can feel his fury at Justin's continued dismissiveness of his presence. I bite my lip as he actually mouths ‘who the hell does he think he is?!' Justin, thankfully, remains impassive, though I see the flicker of glee in his eyes. "As for their reaction, knowing what I know, I understand. She was relieved but annoyed that she had been tricked I guess. As for him, annoyed for failing once more. As he said, he meant to do it. However, he is wrong about us wondering; we know why." I hear his scoff and turn; he's shaking his head. "Yes, we do. At first, we thought it was because he knew deep down that he was never going to retire with him to Palm Springs, nor was he ever going to be with him the way he wanted. Which had nothing to do with his ex, and now happily remarried, partner. He's going to have to accept the brutal reality that my husband, Brian, was not nor will ever be attracted to him."

 

MICHAEL

 

The tittering and murmuring of agreement makes my blood boil. 

 

"He knew what would happen; how the reaction would take hold, so he ‘hid out' waiting and waiting. However, in order for him to play the hero, they needed to be found. He grassed up their location..."

 

"One minute, Mr Taylor-Kinney." Colbert interrupts, causing Camperwick to sigh. "The defendant has two choices: he either sits still and listens, or I eject him. If he wishes to refute anything that is being said, he must rescind his refusal to take the stand." He reminds me of Brian in the cocky way he sneers. "Which is it to be?"

 

The only person not to look my way is his husband. "I retract..."

 

"Rescind." He corrects tartly.

 

"Rescind my refusal to take the stand."

 

"Noted. Continue, Mr Taylor-Kinney."

 

"I should imagine he was going to have ‘perfect recall'. He'd be like, ‘wait everyone, I think I know what's wrong'. Lindsay being ill played into the plan perfectly; suppose he figured she would react the way she did the last time, and when she did, he could leap in then. But she wasn't there, so he strung it out. And the report proves our theory."

 

"Report?" Josiah questions.

 

"Yes, when they found the epipens in his personal effects; only his was full." 

 

I knew I should've emptied it but I forgot! Though at least I can take comfort in the fact that Brian is so disappointed in him for his failure to...

 

"One more contemptuous look from the defendant will result in his immediate return to Frackville!!" 

 

"The defendant apologises." 

 

"No he didn't, you did. If he wishes to remain, he has three seconds to do so!" 

 

"I apologise your honour." I grit out; it's so hard not to react to the shitbag's eye roll, scowl and shrug!

 

"Mr Taylor-Kinney." Josiah prompts.

 

"So his pen was full. He must have hatched the idea when he saw me filling mine somehow and where I put it. Whilst they look like pens in the conventional sense..." He smiles and shakes his head. "...sorry to Your Honour and most of the court. I'm not making light of the situation; I've just remembered the trip to find them. It took us four hours; an hour to find a pen that could house the mechanism, he said it was the only time the defendant had a good idea.  The rest of the time was spent getting them recast in gold. And if I may share this with the court?"

 

"And this is?" Colbert asks, reaching for the paper.

 

"This is his list of demands from when he was trying to, for want of a better word, extort money from Slick Phoenix. For those who don't know, she was the victim of his last fraudulent crimes. He was doing that because he thought he was the father of her child. As you can see, one of the things he demanded from her was a solid gold epipen."

 

"Extortion you say?" He looks over with such glee that I feel sick. "And is Ms Phoenix present?"

 

"I am." My heart shrivels and races at her voice. "Would you advise me to press charges Your Honour?"

 

"Yes, yes, I would, but after. Let's do his bidding for this trial. Do you have an attorney that you can contact quickly?"

 

"That would be me, Your Honour." Josiah grins, and there's a ripple of anticipation. "I will set things in motion for charges to be brought against the defendant."

 

"Thank you. You may sit down, Ms Phoenix."

 

JOSIAH

 

"Are there any further questions of this witness?"

 

"No, Your Honour, unless he has something else he wishes to add, though I suspect the defendant will hope not."

 

"Yes, there is one thing." Justin, as discussed, looks Novotny dead in the eye to give his final denouement. "That is to extinguish the flame of hope he has that Brian is disappointed that I didn't immediately react to what happened. When he told me about the allergy and wanted to ingest some, I refused to allow it; the fact that the defendant insisted on seeing what would happen if he did shows how much of a friend he wasn't. The only person he's disappointed in is the defendant, that he went to these lengths to have him subjugated and indebted to him forever, for that would've been the sentence." 

 

"He owes me! You both do!" He finally explodes. "I made him the legend that he is! Because of me you have the life with him that I should!"

 

"Enough!" The foreman bellows; I look at Judge Colbert but he's as stunned as I am. "I have never in my life met someone with such procacity and lack of penance! The only person that owes you a life is you! And since this is the one that you've chosen..." He pinches his nose then glares at Novotny. . "...may we go to verdict, Your Honour?"

 

"You may. Do..."

 

"We the jury find him guilty of attempted murder. No dissenters."

 

Although he knew it was going to happen, he asked for it after all, he still looks shellshocked, even more so when Camperwick starts to gather his things. "Where are you going?"

 

"To see your co-defendant." He retorts. "To see if she wants to press charges against you for..."

 

"She admitted to putting the stuff in there too!"

 

"But, and this is important, you, not her, you intended to get him to the brink of death. That was not what she signed up for." He hisses. "Thank you, Your Honour, and the court for your service." 

 

He snaps his case shut and strides out, leaving Novotny alone. He swallows hard and looks around. "Now what happens?"

 

"You go to jail, you stay there and I hope you die there." Brian calls out. "Justin, I'll see you outside, there's nothing left, not, with hindsight, that there was anything but an abuser in the first place."

 

"I did not abuse you!" Novotny shouts; Brian leaves without another word and the court follows. Now, it's just the prosecution, Justin, the jury, the bailiff and Judge Colbert. "I'm not an abuser, I'm not Jack, now that's an abuser!"

 

"Mr Taylor-Kinney, you are excused." 

 

"Thank you, Your Honour." Justin stands. "He's right for once, he's not Jack. He's a special breed, in a category of his own. All alone, as it should be."

 

MICHAEL

 

As he departs, I realise that I will have the last word. He will be back for the sentencing, I will have my opportunity to refute this ridiculous notion that I abused him!

 

"The defendant will stand." I do so and look at the guard, but he doesn't move. "Michael Charles Novotny, also known as Michael Charles Grassi, you have been found guilty of the attempted murder of Brian Aiden Taylor-Kinney, guilty of trespass and breaking and entering in regards to the property of George Schickel and Emmett Honeycutt. I shall now pass sentence..."

 

"Wait, what? Now? You're doing this now? And what's this guff about Emmett owning that cabin? I thought he was on Brian's grounds."

 

"Whom the property belongs to is irrelevant, you shouldn't have been there. Now be quiet whilst I lay down the terms..."

 

"But I've got to take the stand! He's got to make a witness statement!" 

 

"Only if you are called. You weren't. He made the statement. They both did. Now silence!`` I grip the table, all around me I see and feel hatred and disgust. "I, Judge Eduard Colbert, hereby sentence you to 22 years for the attempted murder of Brian Aiden-Kinney and 3 years for trespass, breaking and entering. These sentences are to be served consecutively."

 

"But...but...that's twenty five years. I'll be an old man!"

 

"And hopefully a reformed one!" Judge Colbert snaps. "Take him to jail! Court is dismissed!"

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx