- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - KICKING BACK

 

MEL AND LUCY’S HOUSE - MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

LUCY

 

I love this kitchen! I check the oven, the bacon is crisping up nicely. I click on the espresso machine then set up the tray, humming to myself.

 

“Christ, almighty! I knew Nancy was mean, but to do that!” Mel storms in and slams the notepad on the counter. “How long until coffee?”

 

“Ten minutes. Whatever has the crone done this time?”

 

“Taken David to Lynette's to explain to her where he will fit in her life!”

 

At first I don't see why this warrants that reaction but then I go cold. “Do you seriously think she knows?”

 

“About David's attempted rape of Lynette?” She slops orange juice onto the counter as she pours. “Not sure, but she made a point of telling Lynette that she and David are married in the fullest sense of the word. Revolting, just repugnant!”

 

“What are we going to do for Lynette?” I take the carton from her before she crushes it. “Oh, maybe we can speak to…”

 

“Kimberley? She's my next phone call…” She drains her glass. “...let me get that out of the way, then we can have our day in peace and quiet!” I smile at that and get a half grin in response. “Okay, okay, not so peaceful and quiet; not when we have the let's get Auntie Ems laid committee meeting upstairs!” With a quick kiss to my cheek she heads back to the office. “Ten minutes tops!”

 

“Fine!” I call back, and wait for the sound of the door shutting before closing the kitchen door as well. Sighing angrily, I pick up my phone to dial the queen and font of all knowledge that is Sandrine St Bride. “Hey, Philip, it's Lucy. How are you? We are all well. Is Sandy about? Great thanks…” I wait for a few seconds and then smile as I hear him saying I think your sting or cache is needed, he is so right! “Hi, Sandy, you doing okay? Great. Listen, I need you to do some digging for me, well for Lynette, but I want to get as much intel as I can first. Find out all you can about David Cameron. I can't really tell you…” I pause in shock then ten minutes later am making my way to the office.

 

MEL

 

I am scribbling down notes when a stunned Lucy comes in. “Hang on, Kimberley, what’s wrong?!”

 

“Seems he likes to get handy.” She growls. “That is why Sandy adores Slick so much.”

 

“Adores Slick, what do you mean?”

 

“David Cameron attacked Sandy’s nephew, Casper, and Slick got him off of him.”

 

“Kim...oh you heard that? Okay, yep, yep, fine, yeah, great idea. See you both on Sunday.”

 

“What's occurring?” Lucy demands.

 

“Kimberley is going to speak to Sandy to see if the attack was reported. I suspect, like Lynette's, it wasn't. Want a pencil?” She nods and I hand her one which she snaps with great enthusiasm. “Bit better?”

 

“You need to get more pencils and some supposedly shatterproof rulers. I think there is going to be a lot more snapping to come!”

 

DEBS AND CARL'S HOUSE - AFTERNOON

 

HALLWAY

 

CARL

 

“Aren't you going to let me in?” Michael demands as if he's still the cock of some walk. “I would like to speak to Mother, I want to give her my new address.” He looks scornfully around. “Which is far more befitting a man of my stature than this ever was.”

 

“You are living under a rock then?” I retort, and his face falls. “And she's out with Kiki. Won't be back until later.”

 

“Kiki? That cretin is still about, is she, I mean he?” He sneers then steps forward. “I will wait inside if you don't mind, this is…”

 

“I do mind. This house is nothing to do with you.” I bite out. “It is our home, mine and Debs.” He gasps. “Yeah, I’ve moved in. But I’m glad you came around. need an address for all the rest of your crap that was in the attic. So which rock near what dung heap shall I send it to?!”

 

OUTSIDE BEN’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

“Well this hasn't up changed much!” I mutter as I look up and down the block with contempt and a bit of smugness. Matthias and I have a much better house. I ring the bell again and hear someone coming. When the door opens, I am faced with Daphne! “What are you doing here?!”

 

“Opening and now closing the door on an asshole!” She snaps, and bangs it shut.

 

I lean on the doorbell, fuming as I can see her silhouette through the frosted glass. Then she retreats and I wait. Ten minutes later I am still waiting.

 

“Michael? Is that you?! What are you doing here? Not looking for Ben, surely?! I believe you sunk that ship a long time ago.” I turn slowly then glare at Jeff. “How long have you been out?”

 

“I was released early and shall be working on getting my records exorcised! Are you still working on that little publication?”

 

“Expunged. Still a linguistic lamebrain, I see. I, like others, have moved on with our lives, shame you are still stuck in the past. Now go away.”

 

“I shall go in my own time!” I declare. “There are some things that Ben and I need to discuss…”

 

“No there isn't!” Daphne snipes, surprising me by coming up the path. She smirks at my frown. “I went out the back door, surely you remember that this has a back door...after all, you took four hours buying the right shade of dull for it. I believe that is Ben verbatim.” She and Jeff laugh so I glare at them. “I think the Kingpin wants us to stop being amused by his continued presence. Not going to happen, but what will happen is this: I am going to tell you to keep away from my house. Come back here again, and I will have you arrested and you know what that means…”

 

“You live here now?!” I demand. “Where is Ben?!”

 

“Ben and Robin moved in together after Robin formally adopted Hunter, you remember them don't you, especially Hunter. Surely you must remember how he defended himself by drop-kicking you in the stomach?” I wince. “But if you need another trip down memory lane, I am sure he will be happy to do it again.” She looks down the street. “Hi babe, look who's here!”

 

I turn smartly on my heel then cross the street, whilst he watches me with a look of such hatred it sends chills down my spine.

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

DEBS

 

I contemplate what Carl has told me about the visit of the dumbass and sigh, then it hits me. “Divina!” I exclaim and grip Carl's arm.

 

“Who's Div...oh Debs you genius!” Carl squeezes me tightly. “Do you think you can call him now then I call Slick and Lindon?”

 

“Yes! As Brian always says simplest is the best!” I tip out my bag and snatch up my phone pacing as I wait for him to answer. “Danny it's Debs, how soon can you get to mine? Tomorrow? Excellent! Why? I need you to take a DNA test! No not for the idiot, he is ours unfortunately. No, we want to see if the idiot is a father!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.