- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Apologies I meant to amend the end of this chapter before I posted, this is the correct chapter.

CHAPTER 11 - BEEN TAUGHT A LESSON...DAVID AND BEING PLAYED...MICHAEL


UPMC MONTEFIORE - MID-AFTERNOON, THREE DAYS LATER

 

CHIEF SURGEON SCHICKEL’S OFFICE

 

SANDY ST BRIDE

 

“Well?” I prompt my dear friend, George, from the far end of the sofa by the side of his desk, he chews thoughtfully. “Are they suitable fare?” I take in the array of canapes in front of him that I had Emmett and Clare prepare for the cocktail fundraiser for cancer research.

 

“Whoever did these is a genius.” He licks his fingers before taking the potsticker with an impish grin. “So the good and the great of the…” He pauses as the door is rapped upon, but before he can say anything, it is pushed open.

 

“Ah, George, I…” David Cameron strides in. “...interesting lunch you have there!”

 

“I am doing a tasting for the…”

 

“Fundraiser? Good, good, this is what I wanted to talk to you about…” Cameron sits down then helps himself to a canape. “Mmm delicious. Now as you know, I got married recently to…”

 

“David. Two things…” George interrupts him sharply. “...one, wait to be invited into my, in fact, anybody's office; and two…” He slaps away his hand from the platter. “...ask if you may have some food. Now try both of those things again!” I shrink back further in the sofa as Cameron stares at him for a few seconds. “You want to taste more than I want to allow you…” Slowly he stands up, his face flaming, before turning on his heel and striding back out again, shutting the door hard behind him. “...go to the bathroom!” George hisses, I move swiftly, leaving the door ajar.

 

The door raps again and I snicker as George takes his time. “Enter! Ah, David, will you be long? I have to attend to my guest…”

 

“Guest?” He queries, then I get what George is doing. With a smile, I stride out and take great pleasure in the flinch and hard swallow he does on seeing me, I smile brightly at hi and he smiles back, well just about. “Sandrine! How lovely to see you again, it has been a while.”

 

“Not as long as you think.” I return as I sit down opposite George. “So how have you been, Dave? I understand congratulations are in order.”

 

“I would prefer if you used my full name, Sandrine. I mean you wouldn't like it if I shortened your name to Sandy, would…”

 

“I always call her Sandy.” George interrupts. “So, Davey, my boy, what has you in here all of a flap? I  mean, you came in here, the second time, like a man on a mission.” Although he winces at the mangling of his name, he says nothing for a few seconds. “Well, that was illuminating, glad we had this discussion. Now please go back to your post so that I can finish finalizing the guest list and demolishing the rest of this food.”

 

“Finalizing the...this is what I came to discuss with you.” He looks longingly at the food. “May I sit down?”

 

“Congratulations. Sandy said congratulations are in order, what for? Try the consomme dumpling Sandy, just exquisite.”

 

“Yes, uh, I recently got married to a wonderful…”

 

“Fossil?!” I exclaim. “Preserved in petrified form, the answer to your crossword clue, George. Sorry, Davey boy, please continue what you were saying about your wonderful wife.”

 

He cuts his eye at me and curls his lip slightly. “Nancy and I recently found each other…”

 

“Under a rock.” George nods thoughtfully.

 

“Under a rock? Now hold on there, that was uncalled for!”

 

“What was? That is the answer to my other crossword clue; where does Patrick live…” George looks innocently at us both, but his eyes sparkle with mischief.

 

“Oh, I see. Well, as I was saying. Nancy and I wish to make some additions to the guest list, and as your deputy…” He turns to me. “..sorry, Sandrine, but this is hospital business, would you mind waiting outside for a few minutes?”

 

“Yes I would.” I retort crisply before beating George to the last mini lobster dumpling. We can almost hear Cameron’s nostrils flare. “Since…oh yes, these are definitely going on. Since I am organizing and hosting this fundraiser, I should be involved every step of the way.”

 

“This is your...well, that makes things a little easier, doesn't it?” He beams before turning his chair to face me, I know he expects me to do the same, thus cutting George out of the conversation, but I just turn my head to him with a frown. “Well, we have mutual friends in common, and…”

 

I turn back to George. “Okay, can you get our list please, George, whilst I go rinse my hands?”

 

“Of course, Sandy.”

 

By the time I get back two minutes later, Davey my boy’s chair is back in its original position.

 

“So let's begin, shall we?” George smirks.

 

DINER - TWO HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

“Pinch me!” I order Justin hoarsely as everyone looks to the door.

 

“What? Why?!” Justin hisses back quietly.

 

“Just do it!” I plead. Although he frowns at the urgency, he does. “Owww! Oh thank god!” I rub my side and breathe easier. “He is real then, but you are here.”

 

“Okay, what are you…”

 

“Hello, mother.” Michael’s drone cuts off his question. “No cheery good morning or enquiries as to my well being?”

 

“I know how you are, Michael, which is why I didn’t ask!” Debs retorts.

 

My stomach starts to roll as the nightmare pushes its way to the front of my mind. “Please no.” I whisper. “Don't…”

 

“Oh yes, happy! I am very very happy! I have finally gotten what I wanted and deserved...freedom and…”

 

Oh freaking hell those are his exact words before he...“You don't have me and you never will! And I will never let Justin go!” I snarl and Justin looks stunned at my outburst. “So ex-con Novotny, what are you doing here?”

 

“I no longer have an interest in you like that. I have a much better tall, dark, handsome, and no doubt, better hung hunk to attend to my desires.”

 

“So the first thing you bought with the meager amount you earned in prison was buy a sex toy?” Justin scoffs. “Told you that prisoners have taste.” Smiles and chuckles greet that remark. “Must have been a very frustrating time for you.” I smirk as Justin finishes the rest of his coffee and stands up. “Right, I won't be long, I shall leave him in his capables should he get stupid, I mean when he gets stupid.” I follow his butt as he walks towards the door. He pauses as he reaches Michael, who has that snarky smile on his face. “Jenny is doing great, in case you were wondering.”

 

“I wasn't.” He snaps before the snarky smile gets wider. “Oh that reminds me, when you see Slack, tell her I want a word with her. Seems she has something that belongs to me.”

 

“Will do. I am sure she will be delighted to see you again.” Justin gives him one more disparaging look before leaving him somewhat confused in his wake, and me slightly horny at the slow sashay of his hips.

 

“So what did you want?” Debs snaps my focus back on her idiotic son.

 

“A coffee and to catch up with an old friend. We’re still friends aren't we, Brian?”

 

“Nope.” I retort, then feel the low rumble on my feet, I shake my head as he makes his way to the booth. “See you haven’t changed one little bit. You’re supposed to learn by your mistakes, Michael.”

 

“I have learned. Oh, trust me I have. I have learned a lot.” He returns, and is about to sit down when the low rumble becomes a distinct growl. He takes a couple of steps back. “What was that?”

 

“A deterrent, all 325 pounds of him.” I smile tightly and wiggle my foot. At first nothing happens, but then I feel him move. First comes the head, followed by the rest of my little boy, Michael gawps and backs up a few more steps. “Michael, meet Baggie. Baggie, eat, I mean meet, Michael.”

 

“Keep that away from me!” He yells as he almost trips over trying to get away from Baggie’s determined saunter. “Brian! Call him off!”

 

“I will try, Michael, but he’s still just a puppy and doesn’t follow all instruction that well. Baggie, sit!” Baggie keeps walking. “See what I mean?” I spot Justin coming back and he could not have timed that more perfectly if he tried, as he has Baloo.

 

“Hmm, you find yourself in a bit of a bind now, Michael!” Debs calls out and he looks quickly at her before turning back to Baggie. “Now you remember that Brian and Justin have two puppies, my have they grown. Meet Baloo, he’s behind you.” He turns slowly. “And he’s heavier and less obedient.”

 

“I order you to call them off, Brian, you have no idea of the extra misery I will cause Slick!” Michael warns nervously.

 

“Oh, she's Slick now? Earlier she was Slack. Amazing how restorative the powers of 675 pounds of very protective dogs can be.” Justin taunts him. He turns as I nod at the window, as coming in is Lindon!

 

He takes in the scene as he comes in and smiles grimly. “Ah, you've surfaced. So, shall we chat, Michael?”

 

“Us chat? Who are you and what would you and I have to chat about?" Michael is still warily looking between Baggie and Baloo; then he stares hard at Lindon. "Oh it's you. Lincoln isn't it? So why do you want to talk to me?"

 

 

“It's Lindon, Slick’s husband and the father to..."

 

 

"Oh you married that?! And as for you being the father, I doubt it. So yes let's chat, away from here. I take it Brian has your number, he has mine; it unlike me hasn't changed. Give me a call and we will discuss the test..."

 

 

"Test? What test?" Debs demands.

 

 

 

"The DNA test. I want to see my daughter. Lindsay told me everything, and since my name is on the certificate, well, that gives me a degree of power doesn't it?"

 

Okay, what the hell is he and Lindsay up to?!

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks