- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - THIS IS THE DEAL...AND WELL YES HE DOES!

 

GRIM AND TWINKLE’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

GRIM

 

He has been quiet since we got home a couple of hours ago, and I know why. I stop him from stirring the risotto and pull him back against me. “Twinkle, you do realise that we are still going to New York, don’t you? And that it will be a Bliss-ful and pleasurable trip?”

 

“Oh,  thank you, Master!” He whirls around to pepper my face with kisses. “The risotto will take another 20 mintues, shall I go and check now?”

 

“No. Come and sit for a minute.” I take a seat at the table and watch him war with himself. He had spent all the time at his Aunt Sandy’s either in my lap or with Matthias and Snook. “I think, we can relax the seating rule, so…” I pat my lap, with a smile he gets comfortable. “...anything else?”

 

“Anything else, what?” He frowns, but I know my Twinkle.

 

“Come on, Twinkle. Snook and Roman are going too, and remember he's your best friend.”

 

“He told him?!” He gasps, going red before searching my face for signs of disapproval.

 

“You won't know the answer until you ask the question.” I prod gently.

 

“Ca...can I call you Grim when we’re at home, please?” He asks quietly. “But can you still call me Twinkle? After all, you gave me that name.”

 

“Yes you can, and yes I will. Now I have a question for you: do you remember anything of what happened that night to Casper?”

 

“Oh yes, Ma...Grim, I remember everything, and...why do you want to know?”

 

“Been speaking to Trent. He and Casper have been talking, and he wants to press formal charges against him.” He looks incredulous then frowns. “Let me explain; once the charges are laid, you would need to make a statement.” His eyes go wide. It was not often that I ‘brought’ work home, the last time was with Slick. “It will be fine. All you have to do is tell them wh…” Suddenly he leaps off my lap and dashes out. “Twinkle?!” I follow him and find him in our playroom. He is pulling the trunks out, muttering to himself. “Gray, what the hell is wrong?!”

 

The use of his name gets his attention. He stops pulling and sits on his haunches. “Statement, don’t need it.” He pants. “It is in one of them, please help me look!”

 

“What is in one of them?” I wrap my arms around him, surprised to find him trembling. “Tell me, Gray, what is it?”

 

“The night I met Casper, remember? I had a camera...you do don’t you?”

 

“Yes, you took...” I then get it. “...you don’t think that you might have…”

 

“Maybe, just maybe, there is a picture of him...of it. I took so many and used all the film I brought with me...but where would they be?! Ma...Grim, there’s 17 years of memories here, it will take ages to find it!”

 

“Twinkle. Twinkle, I need you to stop fretting and listen. What was the first thing you did when you moved in with me?” I start to grin but he doesn’t return it. “Let me remind you. You took one look at the clutter and spent three days getting it absolutely pristine, with everything in its place. And, of course, you made...” He starts to beam. “...yes, my darling anally retentive Twinkle, you made a list of everything here, in storage, and, in which box.“

 

“Oh crap!” He shouts, and once more wrenches himself out of my embrace. This is getting very old now!

 

“Twinkle! For goodness sake, now what?!”

 

“The risotto is burning!” He yells as he runs into the kitchen. When I join him, I try not to laugh as I see blackened remains. He switches the extractor on. “One day I am going to cook this blasted dish perfectly!”

 

“Only you could be a hero and brat in the space of a minute!” I chuckle. “Now come on, let’s order in, then I can reward and punish you for that after.”

 

“Thank you, Master.” He purrs. Now I am frowning. “You are Master when you say that and in the playroom, but Grim in the rest of our home. Deal?”

 

“Deal.”

 

EOHOPS HOUSE -  MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I am brooding a little. I didn’t want them to come here. I wanted it to be held at David’s place, but he said no, as it was too early for him to come into play yet. He wants them to agree to the terms first, and to get my rights they will!

 

“Hey, Matthias, is that you?!” I call out as the front door opens.

 

“You know anyone else with a key?!” He calls back. He strides in, looking as gorgeous as ever. “How have you been...oh, are you expecting guests?”

 

“Nobody that can't be put off. I thought you were away for a month?”

 

“Plans changed. Look, I am bushed. If it is okay with you, I am going to crash out upstairs. I won’t disturb…”

 

“No, no, let me put them off. It is nothing of importance.” I reach for my phone, pacing as our intermediary, Ma, takes ages to answer, but when she does I am surprised to hear Carl’s voice. “I would like to speak to my mother…” I cover the phone and smile at Matthias. “...why don't you take a load off? I shall make some coffee and you can tell me...oh, hello, Mother, one second, all about your trying time?” He thinks for a second before dropping his case by the chair and sitting down with a sigh. “Great, won’t be long.”

 

I stride into the kitchen and shut the door, I put the phone on the counter and her on speaker, she says nothing. “Are you still there?”

 

“Yes, what’s the problem?” Her tone is brusque, doesn’t she realise who has the power here?!

 

“We need to reschedule this meet-up, I have something more important to do.”

 

“Michael, they have lives too. They need…”

 

“To rearrange it when I say or they won’t have my daughter in it, now will they?!” I smile at her annoyed sighing. “Now tell them we're meeting tomorrow instead, same time and place.”

 

“But they…”

 

“Will be there!” I snap, and cut the call. I set up the tray, then head inside only to find Matthias stretched out on the sofa sound asleep. I put the tray down and just stare at him. He is utterly beautiful in a rough way. I take the blanket off the footstool and cover him up with it. After five minutes of admiration, I take the coffee back and decide that we might as well meet up after all. I call Mother back. I absolutely loved having her control herself, and even better, it is to be at her house. And, now that I have heard that Emmett is back from wherever he was, he can provide the food! We will start with lobster I think!

 

I try to think of what other meeting hoops I can have them jumping through, and look for my pad, which I could’ve sworn I left it on the table. I am about to head back to the kitchen to see if I had taken it with me, when I spot it. Matthias is using it as a pillow!

 

“Dammit!” I mutter and try to see if there is any way I can take it without him waking up, but I can’t see how. I ponder my next move when my phone rings. It’s the theme tune from Captain Astro, which means one thing...Brian! I rush to the kitchen, but it cuts off before I can get to it. “Shit!” I fume. Now that is one thing I hate about him, if you don’t answer the phone within 4 rings he hangs up! I wait for the voicemail to come through, but it doesn’t...and that’s another source of phone annoyance for me, he never leaves me voicemails. Seething, I decide to add that to the list. He waits for me to answer my phone, or keeps trying me until I answer!

 

“Hey.” The sleepy voice of Matthias startles me and I knock over the milk. “You okay? What time are your friends coming?”

 

“Yeah, am fine. Don’t worry about it, Mattie. Actually, I am going to see them instead now. I should be going, you going to go out tonight?”

 

“No am going to rest; am absolutely bushed. Why?”

 

“That's good, because I hate to say this but you do look tired. Why not go up? I shall be about four hours tops. There isn’t much food in the house - but I am sure I can find something and maybe we can eat together when I get back?”

 

He looks thoughtful before nodding. “Oh, that reminds me, we need to discuss this place too.”

 

I smile as he heads upstairs, hoping that one of the things we are going to discuss is me being able to have my stuff in here!

 

BRITIN - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

STUDY

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I stare at the paper and start to laugh. When we compose ourselves again, we reread his list of demands. Sandy and Phil came up with a simple plan: send Matthias back home as our spy as it were. He is not to know that he and Slick are related, and after what he said about her before he even knew him, it should be easy enough for Matthias to get things out of him. Case in point, he pretended to be sleeping, resting his head on his notepad, and whilst Michael was ordering Debs around, he took a picture and sent it to us.

 

“Oh my goodness, what is that supposed to be?!” I hoot, Brian shakes his head. “He wants a syphon to cover his expenses! And what expenses will he have?!”

 

“I believe he means stipend, and as for his expenses, he says it is for medical bills, etc; but we all know that he’s going to be trying to build up that collection of…”

 

“Ooh, can we have terms and conditions?!” I tug excitedly on his arm.

 

“Don’t see why not. What do you have in mind?” He walks me back to the sofa. “I take it this will be innocent enough for him to agree, only for it to bite him in the ass?”

 

“Yeppity.” I grin. “We will cover all medical expenses as long as he provides receipts?”

 

“Receipts?” He frowns.

 

“Hmmm. You know when you went out with the boys this morning for a long jog and I said it was too cold? Seems your brain must still be thawing.” I tease him.

 

“‘Get on with it, twat.”

 

“I should imagine that a certain Dr David Cameron would be happy to assist in that.”

 

“That would be fraud!” He looks shocked.

 

“And the least of his worries!” I retort. “I mean after the way he treated Lynnette and Casper in the past, without reparation, let alone facing justice! Okay, the ‘council’ threw him out of their ‘set’ as it were when they found out how he roughhoused, which was…” I am stopped in my ranting by a soft kiss. “What was that for?”

 

“You are a constant source of amazement to me.” He replies.

 

“I am? Why?”

 

“Your compassion and fierceness in the face of apathy and dispassion is one of the reasons I love you more each day.”

 

“Oh.” I lean across to kiss him, then crawl into his lap. I am about to start on his shirt when he stops me. I am stunned.

 

“Hold that thought, oh horny one. We’ve got to go and do “our master’s bidding”, remember?”

 

“Well that’s my dick dead.” I pout, and stand up. I join him in the grinning, then pull him to stand. “But I am sure you can revive it later.”

 

“Come on, we’ve got to go get Ems and then...now what?” He asks as I am reading the paper again. “You are doing more stinking thinking, aren’t you?”

 

“Maybe.” I chuckle, and lead him out.

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I look pointedly at my watch then at Carl. “They’re late.”

 

“You changed your mind about the meeting, then dem...asked for Ems to provide the food. This takes time, so you will have to be patient.”

 

I scowl. I have to concede that point but I am hungry. “Surely you can offer me a beverage in the meantime? Isn’t that the polite thing to do, especially in these circumstances?” I taunt him.

 

“Which is why I asked Hunter to bring some stuff on his way over.” He seems unruffled by my goading. “He should be here soon.”

 

Right on time the door opens, but it is not Hunter, it is Ben and Robin!

 

“What are you doing here?!” I demand “This meeting is supposed to be just me, Brian, Fat Ass, Slack and Emmett!”

 

“Hey, Carl, where’s Debs?” Ben asks, ignoring me completely.

 

“I asked you a quest…”

 

“She’s helping Ems bring up the canapes for this…” He gestures at me.

 

Robin gives me the briefest of glances, then snickers. Clearly they need reminding again who is in charge here, and in walks the perfect way to do it. “Beer now, Hunter, in a clean glass.” He stops and stares, then looks at Carl who seems to be smiling. “Did you not hear me?”

 

“He did, but you can’t have beer.” Carl states, then tosses an envelope in my lap.

 

“What is this? And why it opened?!” I demand.

 

“Because it is my letter, Michael!” Mother snaps as she comes in and heads to the kitchen with a basket, which smells so good. “I am allowed to open my own damn post!” She heads back out again.

 

I look at the front of the envelope and blush slightly. “So what is this 'can’t have beer' nonsense about?”

 

“Read it.” Carl orders, taking a beer from Hunter, and as I start to do so my face falls. “As she was listed as a correspondent, they sent her a copy of the terms and conditions of being in the EOHOPS house.. As you can see, one of them is that you are not allowed to consume alcohol.”

 

“But Claire drank when she was in Slack’s place, and with you guys! I saw her!”

 

“When Slick volunteered her property, it was a trial of the scheme. They have instigated new rules during your absence to ensure that those who sign up for it become decent, law abiding citizens. One of which is sobriety whilst you remain in residence. Alternatively, you can leave, find your own property and there you can behave as you please.” Carl takes a long pull on his beer. “And I, as an upstanding member of Pittsburgh’s finest, will ensure that your abstinence from alcohol will be a model for all other ex-convicts to live up to.”

 

I scowl at him, then at Ben when he cracks open a beer. “Didn’t you read your letter when you came out?” Ben sneers.

 

“Oh I am parched, open one for me please!” Mother calls out as again she heads back to the kitchen, then sits down next to Carl. “Thank you, Hunter, now what do you want? To drink I mean?”

 

“I will have…”

 

“Oh, for heaven sake, will you heel?!” Is shouted before one of their enormous dogs comes in.

 

“Hey, Baggie!” Mother laughs as he drops his head in her lap. “Have you been obedient as usual?”

 

“In answer to your…” I begin.

 

“Someone grab the bottle!” Fat Ass cries as he comes in. He has four in his arms. Ben quickly grabs the one that is in danger of falling. “Thanks, Ben! Is...oh, you’re here already. Brian, he’s inside...sadly the house and not prison again!”

 

I ignore the jibe, for I know what will happen to him!

 

“Okay!” Brian yells before he is dragged in by the other dog. “Hey, Ma, are you sure about this?”

 

“Yes, it will give you a break after the negotiations.”

 

Whilst I am pleased that someone has realised the purpose of this meeting, my terms are non-negotiable!

 

“This is the last of it!” I hear Emmett call out, and as he comes in I am astonished. He looks so different; tanned and bald. Annoyingly, it suits him. “I take it that you have inspected almost everything and found it to your satisfaction?” He glowers at me. “If not, do so now so that I can get out of your company!” All eyes settle on me. I take my time getting up, but as I pass one of the dogs there is a low growl. “Good dog, Baggie!” Emmett calls over his shoulder. “There you go, everything you demanded from the luxury menu.”

 

“Let me see.” For ten minutes I peruse the food, then am jolted out of my drooling by the sound of a vaguely familiar voice.

 

“Oh, honey, I am so thrilled! Of course we’re going to come!” Mother is screeching.

 

“What is going on?” I demand of Emmett.

 

“I know not, since I am here with you when I would rather be in there with them.”

 

“Emmett! You have to move to Brian and Justin’s cottage!” Ben shouts. This gets us both back in to the lounge. “So that’s at least one, but it will be two if you say yes to us!”

 

“One? Us? Please elucidate..oh wait for the malapropomistic amongst us, that is another way of saying explain.” He sneers at me.

 

“I know what enunciate means, Emmett!” I bark back.

 

“Great, but I said elucidate.” He snaps back before standing in front of me blocking my view of the room. “So what is this about?”

 

“Emmett, move out of the way! You seem to forget that the reason that people are here is to listen to the terms of my demands to give up my rights to…” The words stick in my throat as he picks that moment to step aside and I am faced with Detectives Bank and Crane! “...uh, hello Detectives, what are you doing here?” I ask and hope that my voice doesn’t sound as high pitched as it does inside my head.

 

“You’re out. More’s the pity. When was that?” Det. Crane reaches for a beer before nodding approvingly. “This is really good stuff and perfectly chilled.”

 

“A few weeks back. So what was…”

 

“Emmett, you are saying yes, right?” Robin talks over me, increasing my fury.

 

“Oh come on! You are kidding me! Well, they do say all good things come in threes! Of course I am saying yes!”

 

“To what?!” I bellow, thoroughly sick and tired of everything.

 

“Catering the wedding of one of Pittsburgh finest.” Carl replies. He takes another pull on his beer. “And Ben and Robin’s.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.