- Text Size +

CHAPTER 56 - THE MUZZALATION OF THE MUCKRAKERS


ADMISSIONS, FRACKVILLE PRISON


GUARD


“Welcome back! How long are you with us for this time?!” Novotny is pale and furious, which means one thing: he’s doing a big bird!! “More than ten then?”


“Fifteen more than that!” Brandon smirks as he saunters towards us. “He's got a silver medal. Twenty two for the attempt, and three for the trespass.” I whistle whilst Novotny balls his fists; Brandon notices. “Which you will serve the first three days, after you recover from a broken nose, in solitary if you follow through with that thought!” His fists uncurl but the sour look deepens. “And he's got the joys of silence, starts now.”


“How so?” I'm enjoying this.


“He got bullish and, as usual, didn’t think. Not only did he admit it, but told the jury to find him guilty, decided to plead the fifth, then changed his mind, and to top it off was called an abuser by his victim…”


“I am not an abuser! He needs to look at his childhood! If anything, I saved him from the abuse…”


“You really are a shitkicker!” Brandon snarls whilst stepping back; thankfully Novotny doesn’t notice or he would be needling him every second he can! “The definition of saviour is a person who rescues someone. What you did was watch Debs clean him up, whilst keeping tally in that murky, mean spirited, mealy mind of yours!” 


“Remind Brian when you see him…” He rails. “…of my determination. Also that I’ve got all the time in the world, which makes it my silver lining!”


FOUR MONTHS LATER


DINER


DEBS


We’re quiet. Everything joyful has been sucked out by the parasitic dickhead that is Michael. Divina is with us, having too been dragged into his attempts to get Brian to go and see him by launching appeal after appeal. 


“How is this being allowed to happen?!” Sandy seethes. “Yes, yes, apart from his right to it, where is he finding these people to file them?!”


“These types are called CADs, court appointed deadhearts.” Mel sighs as she reads the latest iteration. “They get paid regardless; for fuck sake, this has been dismissed already!” 


“Brian? Stud, don’t you dare. I mean it, don’t!” Justin orders, voicing what we’ve all seen coming. “It won’t just be that, he will think of something else!”


“I know, but this…”


“Gives him the last fucking word for now! He tried to kill you! He’s still trying!”


“What the hell do you want me to do?! He’s hitting back with everything. Every time I see that envelope or the email, I…” I fume as Brian’s sobs. “…I know what you’re saying, Sunshine, but I’m tired. So very sick and tired of…”


“You dumbass!” Is shouted from the door. We hold our breath as Slick stalks towards the booth. “I frigging knew it!” She throws down her case. “Coffee and explanation!”


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


SLICK


“Okay, forgiven; no payback. However, I was only a phone and a flight or a drive away in Maryland! I had a feeling he was going to be well, him. It’s time to end this, real swift and brutal…”


“How?!” Although Justin’s voice is small, it is filled with hope.


“I’ve always had him and now you, my brothas. Remember, he’s never got past me. Ergo this shit stops; when’s visiting time?”


“Between eleven and two.” Lucy replies. “But won’t you going stoke his flames?”


I lean across the table and tilt up Brian’s face. “Wipe your face and say I can.”


He takes the napkin from Justin. “You can.”


I wink and pull out my phone, bopping my head to the Freedom earworm. “Eds can you get her for me please? Hey, Lindsay, you ready for this? Great. Okay, see you tomorrow morning.” I hang up and almost hug myself.


“You’re taking Lindsay?” Daph looks confused. 

 

“Who else would I take?” I stretch. “So we're getting that fundraiser back on track right?”


"Who told you?” Sandy smiles.

 

“Ems, then Mom. I knew something was very wrong when Lynette called Lindsay asking her to help Nancy be evil for a good reason.” 

 

“Where’s Annabee and Lindon?” Carl asks, righting my case, then checking for damage. “How’s the refuge set up going?”


“Still in Maryland, Eds wanted more Grandma time. As for refuge, it’s done. Hiram and Lindsay are very happy indeed.” I beam. “He had to teach her how to make butter.” 


“Butter? Butter, as in butter?” Justin gapes; Brian and Mel are blinking.


“Oh yeah, it was Eds that pointed it out.” I chuckle. 


“Edna? How the hell - oh, of course!” Mel exclaims.


“Is this code!” Davina demands, frankly speaking for the rest of them, I grin as they can’t fathom their reaction.


“Let me understand this, she and Hiram have been making butter?” Sandy asks, the four of us nod. “So this means sex?” 

 

“Well of course, it couldn't happen without that.” I top up Mel’s wine glass, which she gulps down. “And Gus is good wid it.” I clap my hands together. “Right, Davina, come honey, not seen you in forever girl! Because tomorrow she and I are gonna make haste and hay to ensure the miscreant float, float, floats away!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


Slick and Davina have gone to pick his brains about everything and anything shithead related; my happier looking Brian is on his phone. “Sonny Boy - butter!”


“I know! I can’t believe it! They're perfect, absolutely perfect, for each other. I mean this in the best way, Dad, but he slaps her down real quick and real hard. Yeah, she fights her corner when, and this is important, when she’s wrong…but now she thinks about when that is…and is getting loads better at stopping before she is. And nobody gets to - ”


“Oh my God!” Ronald looks teary eyed and proud. “I have to call Kim! She’s going to be thrilled!”


“ABOUT WHAT?!” Debs bellows.


“Linds…Lindsay’s pregnant.” Mel sniffs. “Butter is her craving. She would eat it by the truckload.” She wipes her eyes and squeezes Brian’s hand. “Feel sorry for him?”


“Nope!” He laughs.


“AGAIN!” Debs shrieks.


“A pregnant Lindsay is extremely hormonal.” Brian grins. “And extremely hormonal means extra super duper spiteful.”


“No, not spiteful; a virulent bloodlusting vampire in a bottle bank is one way Slick described her, to her face, when she was on her period.” Mel snickers. “She was on her bestest behaviour for a month before she went back to normal.”


“And she’s now got somewhere to channel that!” I cackle.


“And she’s most likely going to start with her mother!” Sandy hoots. “She and Michael have no fucking idea what is coming their way!”


ALLEGHANY WOMEN’S PRISON - TWO DAYS LATER


VISITING ROOM


NANCY


I’m shaking on the inside but my iron will won’t let that show. “You swear?” Lindsay simpers; pushing my glee and revulsion deeper, I take her hand and smile at Slick. “Mother, you truly will?”


“Yes, darling, I’ve had a long time to reflect on my behaviour and how much hurt I caused to my family.”


“What do you say,  Slick?! I told you didn’t I, so what do you say?”


Slick sits back, her disbelief being replaced with a smile. “I say, you say, so go.”


“So go? Are you leaving?” I look reproachfully at her. “You’ve only just got here.” 


“Yes, Mother, I am going to go.” She leans closer, tightening her grasp. “I’m going to tell the entire room that my predilection for pussy is hereditary, and it started with you!” I try to pull free, but her nails dig in. “And not only here, because trust me, by the time I am done, your coochie will become a pussy paradise for the old timers desperate enough to chew on some leather!” 


“Chew on some leather?!” Slick splutters. 


“You will tell the guard that you want to see the warden right now, produce tears!” I feel sure she’s drawing blood. “Those charges need to be pressed today!”


THREE HOURS LATER


NANCY’S CELL


NANCY


Whilst I pressed those charges then, they will be unpressed in the morning! I want Novotny to continue to do what she said he’s doing. If Brian had simply married Lindsay, then she wouldn’t have turned out the way she has! It was his cock or no one else’s after their tryst as far as she was concerned! Yes, he is a good looking man; yes, there’s nothing like a good seeing to, but for it to be him and only him severely narrowed her choices! 


I look up at the cough, and give a hesitant smile. I have seen this lady around and sensed she was from my class. As she glides in, I feel sure that I’ve finally found a like minded soul. 


“May I take a seat?”


“Please do! My name’s Nancy, and you are?”


“The living embodiment of hell for you.” The smile she had turns into a scowl as she sits. “My friends call me Phoebe, but you call me Ms Thirpe.” She leans back, regarding me like a scourge. “I can’t do anything about the daughter, so you will be my payback; it will be threefold if you take even a pigeon step out of line.” She has the cold tone of society I know so well. “You’re not retracting those charges you wept to the warden about, are you?” I shake my head. “Well, I’ll see you around.” 


She starts to leave. “Who are you exactly?” I can’t keep the fear out of my voice.


“A friend of a friend. Your daughter and Novotny made life very unpleasant. Like I said, can’t get to the daughter, one word from me will have you getting the Edna treatment.” I shudder at whatever that is; she smirks. “Edna is not into that, but she’s taught us everything else she’s into to keep wannabe snooty assed primadonnas in line.” As she steps into the hallway, she adjusts her skirt. “Thank you, Nancy, you have a wonderful way with your tongue! I shall be back!”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


PHOEBE’S CELL


PHOEBE


I'm shaking with both laughter and revulsion. The look on that wizened witch’s face when I made that declaration is worth the nightmares I shall have at the thought of that tongue anywhere near anybody’s anything!


“Hey, beautiful.” I smile as Meredith comes in. She gets released soon, and is joining Claire and Terez in New York. “All in place for the myrmidon, she will be silent for years. And from what Edna’s said, Lindsay went straight to the heart of her old society and told them exactly that with an extra embellishment…”


“Oh, perfect!” She claps her hands. “So glad that she’s finally on the right road now.”


I nod. “Speaking of finally, it’s Slick’s turn. I look forward to Edna’s next visit. From what she’s been saying with the nest training she’s married into and the smarts she already had, she’s going to stop him once and for all.”


FRACKVILLE PRISON - TWO DAYS LATER


VISITING ROOM


MICHAEL


“I told you!” I call across to Bleak, my friend of the last two months. “I was determined to get him here and here he isn’t!” I gape, as coming towards me, smirking, is not Brian, but Slack and, oddly, Lindsay. “I don’t want you! I am going back to our cell!”


“You know this brat?!” Bleak growls, glaring at Slack. “She the one that came between you and your best friend?”


“Yes.” I begin to smile as she looks very uncomfortable. “How do you know her?”


“Knew her old man. Still have friends on the force, despite my current location.”


“Do you? Won’t you join us?” He quickly comes over, as does a guard.


“Why did you move?” He demands.


“I wanted to say hi to a friend.” Bleak smiles. “Isn't that right, sweetheart?” 


“Absolutely.” Slack replies after swallowing hard. “I’m just surprised to see him here, thought he was somewhere else.”


“See, she’s fine with it.” Bleak smiles. Inside I am whooping and hollering. Not only does she look cowed like the cow she is, but also, since taking up with Bleak, the guards and other prisoners have treated me with something like respect; even Brandon! 


“Okay, but no more moving about!” He orders before going back to his post.


“So how do you two know each other? Tell me everything.”


“Quiet, you tool!” Lindsay spits, sliding across an envelope. “Get that to your attorney; it’s from your accomplice. She’s been persuaded to press charges against you.” I take it with a smile, they’re smiling too. I can’t see why, it only prolongs the torment I’ll continue to heap on her brother froma  “Concentrate! Stop getting off in your mind, it’s revolting to see the face you make! Hearing it was bad enough!”


“Is that what that’s about?!” Slick sneers. “He’s always looked like that; no wonder he couldn’t have a sensible thought, too knackered!” 


“Now see here, you TCCS!”


“She said quiet; now, my pesky pissing pet, you will be so!” Bleak states, giving me such a look I break out in a cold sweat. “So, sweetheart, how you been?”


“Great, thanks.” Slick reaches across to squeeze his hand. “How long did it take him to latch on?”


“About a week.” He laughs. “I just happened to mention that fucker’s name, and suddenly there he was, like a putrid poltergeist.” 


“Can he speak?” Lindsay asks, Bleak nods. “Ask then!”


I spot Brandon leaning against the door of the room, his cocky look is back! “What is going on?”


“I set you up. You’re wondering why? Well because you’re you!” Slick answers coldly. “And you thrive, get hard over hurting someone; I put in your sights someone who you thought could help in the misery making. It was Brian who gave me the idea, well his victim statement. He can explain better when you two are back in your cell. You know the cell you’re sharing because you were so scared of everyone else?” 


“And whilst we're in there, you will be practising your letter of apology to your victims. The one where you say you accept your fate, you’ll pay restitution and never bother them again as you’re preparing for your next trial!”


“Plural.” Slick drawls. “Extortion, you remember that one?”


“Extortion - what’s this?” Bleak grabs my thigh, I close my mouth. “Oh, wait, what’s her name?” His grip tightens. “Her name.”


“Slick.”


“Tell us what TCCS means.” Bleak orders, I gulp at Lindsey's expression. “You said it’s a Jamaican proverb.” 


“Michael, you know that’s not what you told me that meant, remember?” Lindsay grabs my hand; I keep my gasp quiet but my eyes water. “Tell her.”


“Tit carrying cunt self.” I mutter.


“Tisk tisk; shame you're going to have to be kissed by that mouth.” Slick drawls.


“Explain extortion to him.” Lindsay scrapes her nails against my wrist. “We'll jump in when we need to correct anything.”


AN HOUR LATER


BLEAK


“Now that wasn’t too bad, was it?” I catch Brandon’s smirk from across the room, as does Novotny. “You may ask your questions, Triple P, pissing pesky Popeye, in case you were wondering.”


“You lied to me?” He snivels.


“You didn’t ask me anything. You heard me say something hateful, and assumed, thereby making an ass out of yourself. The person I hate is her murdering father, even now, for putting them through in the first place.” 


“You’re a spy for her?” He quavers, then glares at their snickering. 


“I'm not a spy, Triple P, I’m exactly what I said I am. I just didn’t say I was a cop.” He goes pale as I move my hand up his thigh; I’m not that way inclined but having that hanging over him is another way to keep him in line. “I did kill a guy for abusing his kids. I’m not sorry. I hate abusers. Only my reasoning and exemplarary record saved me from the death penalty, but as a Black man they had to make an example.” I lean into his ear. “Just to be clear, the only kiss from me to that mouth will be a kick or a punch, if you run it, even in your head. And thanks to your frenemy Lindsay, I know exactly what to look for.”

.

“I’m going to be asking for a cell transfer!”


“Surely not. After all, isn't it better the devil you know?” 


“What do you mean?” He quivers; I retch at the putrid smell. 


“Bleak!” Brandon stalks over before backing up. “Clear the room! Has he actually shat?! Everyone, go get some fresh air, I’ll deal with this!”


“See you later, Triple P.” I mumble from behind my hand as I run out.


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


Sadly, he didn’t soil himself. But the air is sweet smelling, because his arrogance has been replaced by humiliation and defeat, even more than when he went to jail the second time. There, finally, is the broken man that he tried to make Brian be. 


“I’ll make it brief.” His eyes are tear and fear filled. “Slick’s been waiting for years for him to say she could. From the moment you did that to her portrait, she begged him to let her finally destroy you!” Tears hit the table, followed by snot; I struggle not to vomit. “But he said to leave it to the law.”


“I just wanted to see Brian.”


“Shut up, Popeye, I’m not done!” He clams up. “As for what Bleak means; she’s got friends everywhere; not because of who her Dad was, but because of her Mom! She was respected, she was loved, everything that you will never be!”


“Brian never met her!”


“It doesn’t matter that he never met her!” I snarl.


“How come you’re so closey-close now?!” He winces when I dig in a nail.


“Because we are.” Slick retorts. “You two with Brandon, you to speak to the warden and Lindsay to get cleaned up.” 


THREE HOURS LATER


SLICK


Smirking, I place my envelope in front of him as he sits back down


“You win for now. When I’m ready I shall hit back at you!”


“Oh give it up. You’ve lost. Now he’s said I can come for you; I’ve only just started. Like Lindsay said, I raised him, the same way my Mom raised me. I replaced Debs but in a different way. She would cave. If you carried on, she would cave. I never would. That’s what bothered you about me. I said no and meant it.”


“Why him, why is it always fucking him?!” I laugh, he scowls. “Well, why him?!”


I sit back, enjoying his frustration once more. I look at my watch and smile. “They should be there by now - open it.” I tap the envelope. “Makes no odds to me, . Go on you know you want to.”” 


He tears it open. “No! No - how?!” 


“When your frenemy becomes your foe, all your secrets this enemy knows.” I state.


“Lindsay! That fucking…”


“Nope. Try again.” 


“I only told two people: her and - oh who else was it?” He mutters.


“Me; you told me! You told this clit-trick about the perfect retirement place. Not Palm Springs as you kept saying; remember you confessed that this was a ruse to stop the following of unwanted suckers. It’s where you and Brian were going to retire that they’ve gone. I booked the hotel on the very street where you wanted to live the rest of your lives together forever. Just you and him, nobody else.” I stand and stretch. “You told me a lot of things while asserting your position in Brian’s life with me. There was plenty of posturing, pathetic power playing and prick waving. You once told Brian that I never listened to you; I did, to everything you bilged out, I listened. So farewell Popeye, for now. I’ll be back. I promise.”


“Why Popeye?!” He whimpers, having not taken his eyes off of the picture.


“Oh, come now, surely you’re not that dense?!” His expression confirms it! “Popeye, you’re going to be known as that no matter where you are for the rest of your days. There will always be someone coming for you; you won’t know who or when, but unlike you they will cum. So, Popeye, you’ll always have to have one eye open.”


MICHAEL


“And it will be everywhere, no matter where you go, the pictures of Provincetown, Massachusetts will follow.” Brandon’s smiling as he sits next to me. 


Looks are exchanged and she starts to laugh. “He didn’t? Surely not?!”


He nods. “Of course that didn't work out, did it?” I swallow down my despair. “I asked you a question…answer.”


“No it didn’t.” I grit out. 


“Did you think it would? After all you put them through, why would they accept a plea bargain request?” I burn with humiliation. “If you were them you wouldn’t, but that’s the important difference. They would never do that to you.” 


“Yes they would, given the chance, they would do exactly what I did!”


“You keep thinking that, Popeye, keep thinking that.” Brandon scoffs.


“Don’t call me Popeye!”


“How are you going to stop me?” I want to claw his cocky face. “You can’t; I won’t give you a reason to whine. I’ll always remain on the right side of restrained. Come on, Slick, I’ll take you out. See you later, Popeye!”

 

“Speaking of later.” She drops another envelope on the desk, I pick it up with a frown. “It’s your list of visitors. Use it to wipe your ass!”

Chapter End Notes:

Bird is slang for doing time in the UK

 

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx