- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 - BAULK, TALK, SQUAWK AND WALK

 

SCI COAL - SAME TIME

 

GARDNER VANCE

 

I fume as they take their time checking my things. My life has come to this: a box.

 

“One Matek watch, stopped; hmm, thought the batteries lasted a lifetime. One wedding ring; one passport, cancelled; one wallet with the following cards: Amex, expired; Visa, in date; Mastercard, expired; and personal bank card, expired. Wallet also contains $678.34 in cash. Could you check, Mr Vance, against the original list that this is correct? Then count out the money.”  The guard orders. I quickly read down the list, look again at my things, and count the money. “All good?” I nod. “Sign, please, and you are free to go.” He smiles. I just grimace in return as I sign. “Good luck, Mr Vance.”

 

I take the box with a scowl. Thanks.”

 

“Follow the guard.” He orders. As I walk away I hear a clink. “Mr Vance, you dropped your ring!”

 

“It’s yours! There's no wife to go with it!” I snap over my shoulder. “Ooof! What did you stop for?!” I gasp.

 

“Go back and get it!” The guard snaps. With a sigh I turn back and pick it up.

 

“I am only going to throw it away.” I grumble as I walk back to him.

 

“That's as maybe. You still need to go out with what you came in with.” He tells me, leading me to the front gates. “Is it real?”

 

“Of course it is! It is a mix of platinum and white gold!”

 

“Then melt it down and make it into something else.” He suggests. Whilst I scowl again, the idea has merit. As I step back into freedom he clears his throat. “How you getting to where you are going?”

 

I am taken aback by the question as I hadn't thought of that. “I don't know.”

 

“You want to wait inside and we can call you a cab?”

 

“No, to the waiting inside I mean, but yes to the cab. Please and thank you.”

 

“Okay. Where you going?”

 

“The nearest bar.” I sigh, and he nods whilst smirking.

 

BREWSERS SPORTS GRILLE - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

GARDNER

 

I freeze as I look at the screen. “You are kidding me?!” I hiss quietly, and try to take in the news. “When did that happen?!” I demand of the barman and gesture at the TV, then the report changes to another shocking revelation. “Jesus!” I exclaim.

 

“Yeah…” He sneers at the screen. “...nobody's going to miss a bent copper.”

 

“But I thought he was jailed in Adirondack.”

 

“Must have moved him.” He shrugs. “Want another?” He points at my glass, I just slide it to him.

 

“When did it happen?” I murmur, still fixed on the TV. “When did both of these things happen?”

 

“Kinney-Taylor being mayor about three months ago. He is going to be taking office in three months. As for Stockwell, last week, shame that.”

 

“A shame?!”

 

“Yeah, that it was a heart attack and he didn't get the shanking he deserved for letting that kid’s killer take the easy option!”

 

“It was never…”

 

“It was proven. They covered it up, those concerned citizens did the right thing by exposing him. The inquiry found him culpable for it.” He stops the tap and clears his throat. “You a fan of Stockwell?”

 

“No, of course not. I was going to say it was never in doubt that Rikert did…”

 

“Good. You know who I pity? No, not pity, well apart from his wife and kids. You know who I am glad also got burned in this?” I shake my head. “The people who supported him. And I was glad that it was the news that killed him.”

 

“What news?” I now turn my attention to him instead of the screen.

 

“Remember his campaign to be Mayor?” I jerk my head as it was that which ultimately cost me everything. “Well, he made this big song and dance about Brian Kinney-Taylor being his close friend who happens to be gay. But did he do anything about those unsolved murders that were pointed out to him at the GLC? No he didn’t. Claimed they didn’t have fresh leads. Well, that’s a bunch of bullshit! First thing Kinney-Taylor did when he was elected was have them all reopened and two people have already been questioned. And no fucking surprise, one of them was the guy who bashed that guy, Darren.”

 

My jaw and the beer hit the floor at the same time. “Oh shit, sorry about that!”

 

“It’s okay.” He mutters before coming around with a mop and bucket. “Yeah, so according to the news reports, he croaked when he heard about it. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Do you want another one?”

 

“No thanks. I have to be going.”

 

OUTSIDE GARDNER VANCE’S EX-HOME

 

REALTOR

 

“I don’t know what to say to you, Mr Vance. I am following the instructions of the client, and…”

 

“She had no fucking right to sell my house!” He bellows at me, his eyes bulging out of his head.

 

“Please calm down, Mr Vance, or I shall call the police!” I snap. He breathes in deeply and the veins in his head stop throbbing.

 

“Do you have a contact number for her or even the person that she sold it to?!”

 

“No, unfortunately I am unable to give you that information. Client confidentiality, you understand.”

 

“All too fucking well!” He snaps, then turns heel and starts walks away.

 

Reaching for my phone, I dial a number and head to my car as I wait for her to pick up.

 

GARDNER

 

I can’t believe my bitch of an ex wife has done this to me! I watch the realtor get into his car and wind the window down. I walk slowly up to get as close as I can without him seeing me.

 

“Ah, good day to you, may I speak to Mrs Ugerstacht please? Yes, it’s Felix Michaels. Yes, I am dealing with the sale of the house formerly owned by Gardner Van...”

 

His words fade into the ether as my anger mounts. Her! Again! I try to calm my racing heart. I need to listen carefully. And as I do I can't believe it! She is selling my home, my pride and joy to Brian Fucking Kinney! No way, no way is he getting this. I have to stop them!

 

OUTSIDE BRIAN’S OLD BUILDING, TREMONT STREET - NEXT MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

Why is there nothing here?! I don't understand it! I had every intention of going to the diner yesterday, but then I discovered the porn channel and ended up watching that deep into the night, whilst getting very drunk. I have a hell of a headache and am hungry, but wanted to see the loft one more time, but it is gone.

 

“You okay there, buddy? You look lost.” A guy comes up to me.

 

“Just wondered what happened to the building that was here.”

 

“Arson, they had to tear it down.” He replies then smiles, I think a little wistfully.

 

“What?”

 

“Ah, the stories I heard about what happened in that building, especially the top loft.” He sighs and my hackles rise.

 

“About whom?”

 

“The former Stud of Liberty Avenue…”

 

“He’s still the Stud.” I interject.

 

“True, but just for one guy. Heard that one guy said that he could feel them both for hours afterwards.”

 

“Both? What do you mean both?”

 

“What do you think I mean? Said first it was the Stud, then his Prince and then both of them together. Described it as sheer joy, tiring but joyful!” He laughs then tilts his head. “Have you ever…”

 

“Of course I have! Look at me!” I growl, then I am piqued when he takes a slow unimpressed appraisal.

 

“Well, you’re definitely an improvement on his former best friend. Now that was a thing of ugliness. Glad he’s banged up.” He looks at his watch. “Well, I gotta go.”

 

“Maybe you’d like to meet for a quick drink.” I suggest with a smirk, wanting to show him how wrong he is about me...a thing of ugliness?!

 

“Nah, you're not my type. Besides, my boyfriend would be unimpressed.”

 

“You don't know what you’re missing.” I tease him and take a step forward, he steps back.

 

“Got steak at home.” He states coldly and folds his arms. “Be on your way.”

 

“You don't tell me what to do!” I snap at him. “Besides, you were the one who ‘had to go’!”

 

“And you're the one who isn't taking fuck off as an answer, so I would rather see the back of you first!”

 

Fuming, I storm down the street. I look over my shoulder for one final glimpse at our history. I sigh as I remember that one drunken fumble after his dad died, cursing myself for stopping him, for wanting it to be perfect. I am pulled out of my musings and smirk as the guy is still watching me.

 

“Too late, buddy, you missed out!” I shout. He shakes his head and starts to walk away. “You regret it and you know you do!” I bellow before, feeling very smug, I start to head to the Diner, then change my mind.

 

RED CAPE COMICS - 10 MINUTES LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

Furious does not come close to the anger I feel for what they have done! What Buzzy, then I brought to Liberty Avenue was a perfect diamond, but now it is tawdry rock that takes over an entire block and over two floors. I look through the window and feel sickened over what should've been mine, if Boy Wonder hadn't interfered all those years ago. I push open the door and get a cheery hello from some twink behind the counter. I don't respond, as I am fighting the urge to scream or cry.

 

“Good morning, sir, can I help you at all?”

 

“No.” I bite out and head upstairs as I take in the state of the art room with its pinball machines and arcade games. “I hate him so much!” I mutter, but then something else catches my eye. Sweat breaks out all over as I look at the game: Rage in the Machine! “What the fuck is this?!” I storm, and stride over to check it out. I am almost there when a guy beats me to it, but I am determined to see what this crock is about.

 

“There is a queue, dude!” Someone calls out from behind me, and I turn around. A guy points to the other end of the sofa. “Take a ticket then a seat.”

 

“I just want to watch it being played.” I argue as calmly as I can.

 

“I don't want you to watch me.” The guy at the game calls over, but never taking his eyes off the screen.

 

Sighing crossly, I am about to get a ticket when I feel the mask starting to come away from my face. Clapping my hand over the side of my jaw, I run downstairs and back to the hotel.

 

BROHOUSE - MID-AFTERNOON

 

OFFICE

 

MATT

 

We are all staring at the screen, holding our breath, as Luther, Hunter and Jenny concentrate. We were going to Portland this morning, to join everyone else, when I got the call, so we are flying there tonight now, because as well as dealing with that, we had to help Mom get him here first. Nobody was as surprised as him when she said he was moving in. When questioned, she said it was because of Novotny, and whilst that is partly true, it is also because deep down he's still her dad and the only person to hurt him will be her!

 

But right now because of a chance encounter we are hoping for a miracle of miracles to happen.

 

“Well?!” Dad demands.

 

“Sure you can't get in and tighten that up a bit more?” Luther squints at the screen.

 

“Move, Zan.” Mom orders as she comes through the door. She does some adjusting and the face becomes a bit clearer, but not by much. “Any better?” He continues to stare but then starts to nod as do Hunter and Jenny. “So that combined with the squawking voice and the walk means we have a location at least.” She then turns to face our saviour. “Come here, Kyran, I can’t...no, we can’t thank you enough.” Whilst Kyran accepts the hug, he looks sad. “What? What's with the face?”

 

“I should've followed my gut and went after him.” He sighs. “It was when he stormed off then started shouting…”

 

“Bullshit!” She and Luther rebuke him at the same time. “Okay, your take on this is what, Luther?”

 

He winces at the use of his first name by her. “You haven't seen him for a few years, you had no reason to suspect that it would be him. And what do you think would’ve happened once he realised you recognised him?” Luther looks at Mom and cocks an eyebrow. “About right?”

 

“Harrumph. Lucky guess.” She grouses and he shakes his head. “So, as I was saying, we know where he is, and…”

 

“He’s too close!” Luther snarls and the room goes quiet. “No way, no way are those babies staying here. I know this is my fault and my fuck up, before you remind me! No, Zaden, they can’t. You will lose your focus if they are here. You will be thinking about them. The family, need you to be 100% focused on getting him.” They lock gazes and we watch them stare each other down; Mom and Uncle Justin have been fighting Dad and Uncle Brian to keep the girls here, up to the point of angry silences and almost separate rooms! “You need to bring your Stark A-game for this. You know that I am right. For once stop being so damn bullheaded and concede!”

 

She scowls then rolls her eyes before huffing a breath. “Alright, pack them up, but they come back at weekends!”

 

“But…mmmm!” Uncle Justin begins, only to be cut off by Uncle Brian kissing him, and kissing him for a while.

 

“Ahem, put the boy down.” Luther orders, and Justin looks both dazed and peeved when Brian stops. “So what happens is this…”

 

“Ahem, what happened to me fixing the fuck up you caused?!” Mom snaps.

 

Slowly, Luther starts to smile. “This time I concede. The floor is yours.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.