- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 As pointed out by the lovely Deb L - had the number of years Michael was jailed for wrong, have corrected it instead of 40 it should've been 50.

CHAPTER 13 - HOW MANY FACES DO YOU HAVE


BRITIN - EARLY EVENING, TWO DAYS LATER

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

I hang up and slowly smile at my bombshell. “He's facing murder one, and is lucky there is no death penalty in New York or they would have asked for it! He is going to die there!”

 

“Oh thank you!” He cries and shimmies around the room. “Thank god Carl and Debs are in Tuscany with Gus and Rodney.” He punches the air before wincing and shaking out his hand.

 

“Come here, twat…” I pat my lap then sit down. He wiggles himself comfortable and I give him a scorching look. “...so let me have it.” He puts his hand in mine and I start the massage. “And thoughts, not on him, the other him.”

 

“Ah, now there is a conundrum. Why help? No doubt he will do his utmost to drag Luther down, claiming some bullshit. Also, why...oh, that's good...is Zee letting him any…” My phone ringing cuts him off, we look at the ID then each other. “You have got to be fucking kidding me?!”

 

“Let it go to voicemail. See what she comes up with!” We wait for ages for her to leave a message, finally it beeps. “Ready?” He nods, and although he nestles, I can feel the tension building.

 

“Hi, Brian, um surprise, its Lindsay. I am now back in the Pitts and would like to come to apologise face-to-face to you for all I have done. My number, in case you have deleted it, is 957-666-1824. Hope to hear from you, I want to start my new life with a clean slate. Bye, Peter, love Wendy.”

 

We sit in silence for a minute or so before he starts to fume. “Did you notice, Peter, how Wendy wants to apologise to you, no mention of anyone else?!” I nod, having long learned, like he has with letting me think quietly then talk, to let him rant then think. “Oh, she has such a freaking fucking nerve! In case you have deleted it, of course we didn't because we knew sooner or fucking later you would be calling back from hell! The triple six is burned in my telephonic memory!”

 

“Ouch.” I whisper as he tightens his grip on my hand, he blinks then looks down and quickly releases me.

 

“Sorry, Stud.” He rests his head against my shoulder and sighs. “How are you so calm...ah I am angry enough, right?”

 

“Uh huh. So what are we going to do?”

 

“Well...ouch fuck!” He yelps as his hand spasms. Quickly I carry him to the sofa then lay him down; I kiss him gently before massaging his arm to ease the cramp while he tries to calm his temper.

 

He hasn't had a cramping like that in months. There is only one person that can induce this amount of tension in my husband, and that is Lindsay. Most people would think that it would be Michael to garner a reaction like that, but it's not and that's because he can handle him. He is smarter, swifter and stronger. Michael may play dirty, but against Justin he will never win. But Lindsay did win, albeit only for three years before he came back for good, and he hates her for it. I mean, mad-enough-to-smack hates her. This is one of the reasons he has never said anything to her, never revealed his real feelings.

 

“Better now?” I ask as his face softens and he smiles tiredly.

 

“Yeah. Bit stuffy in here.” He murmurs, sitting up then going to open the window, I pull him tighter to me and he sighs as the warm breeze washes over us. “She has that ability…”

 

“I know.” I kiss his ear. “She is a button pushing virago. Do you think she knows how much you hate her?”

 

“Nope, but I'm this close to telling her!”

 

“Calm. Calm.” I soothe, and he turns in my arms. “But at least that time she used her selfishness and wishing to be Lady of The Manor for good.” I manage to move my chin out of the way as his head comes up so fast. “She did! She is the reason I have you here. Think about it, if Lindsay hadn't been pushing to stay...then you wouldn't have lost it after her reasoning.”

 

“Reasoning?!” He exclaims, and again winces. “Calming. Calming.”

 

“It was the first time I have ever seen you that angry, and it was also the first time you cut me off, then not picked up when I tried to call you back.”

 

“Hmmm. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. It was just the way you said she said it. I think it was almost an hour later before I called you back.”

 

“One hour and twenty five minutes.” He looks astonished. “Yeah, that number is burned into my memory too.”

 

“Why?”

 

I close my eyes briefly then remember who I am holding. “I thought you were going to dump me.”

 

“What?! Why?!” He searches my face then snorts. “Old habits and thoughts dying hard?”

 

“Yeah. But do you see what I am saying?”

 

“Suppose.” He mumbles into my chest.

 

“You suppose?!” I swat his butt and he chuckles. We are quiet as I remember the best day of my life…

 

Start of flashback

THE LOFT - SEVEN YEARS AGO

 

BRIAN

 

“Are you calmer now? What the hell was that about?!” I demand as he glares at me,

 

“That is the final straw! I am coming home!”

 

“Fine.”

 

“And I want to stay in Britin.”

 

“Okay. So again, what was...”

 

“Fine and okay? That is all you have to say?! Fine and okay?!” He screeches.

 

“What else would you have me say?!”

 

“How about after three years I am delighted?! Or weren't you as miserable as me?!”

 

I stare at him. “You mean you are coming...back for good?”

 

“Yes! The crone-faced nerve of that vulture! She seriously said it is sitting there so empty, Justin has his life in New York now and clearly doesn't want to live there! Why not rent it out or sell it? You are in the loft most days and nights now aren't you? Ooh, that grasping gutter-hole! No way is she staying without me being there, no fucking way!” I dash to the safe. “Uh, what are you doing?! Major fucking queening here!”

 

“I know!” I shout over my shoulder, then roll my eyes as I find both sets of keys to the townhouse in there. “You twat, why are your keys here?!” I wave them at the screen, he had come up a couple of weekends back and I said to him to remember his keys! He most likely hadn't noticed because he went to Paris and Italy straight afterwards, and has only just got back. And, like always, when he returns, the first place he goes is his studio as he is buzzing with ideas.

 

“What does that have to do with this?” He snaps, standing up hands on hips.

 

“Because you can't get in to pack, can you?!”

 

“Pack? What do you mean pack? Will you stop running around for a...um, Brian, are you coming to get me right now?!”

 

“Yep, I am coming to bring my prince home! Now start to pack up your studio whilst I call Cyn and Ted!”

 

“Oh. Um okay!” He beams tearfully, and with a final blown kiss cuts me happily off.

 

BRITIN - THREE DAYS LATER

 

I smirk as he strides towards the door, rubbing his butt, I plundered him in his studio, the townhouse and the private jet Cyn hired for us, but when we finally got home, I made slow sweet love to him in exactly the same place the first time we came here. He pauses at the mirror and unbuttons his collar, making sure that the hickeys are fully displayed. Then, mussing up his hair, he finally opens the door.

 

“Justin!” Lindsay gasps. “What a surprise! Brian never said you would be visiting!”

 

“I am not visiting, I am living.” He replies, so I pick that moment to step into reception. “Hey, Mel, how are you?! You are looking well!” He grins then makes a point of scratching his neck.

 

“Wowsers, take it he was very pleased to have you home?!” Mel snorts as she tries to come in with the case. “Lindsay, what are you doing? You are in the way.”

 

“Uh, oh um, sorry, um, Justin, did you say living? What does that mean?”

 

“This is the castle my king bought for his prince; like Mel said, the prince is home, but home for good. Long live the prince! Now let me show you to your room.”

 

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

“Not coming back down for a while, seems the headache has turned into a migraine.” Mel says as she closes the door. “So odd, as Lindsay was fine on the plane and in the car. She has been looking forward to staying, shame it has started off this way.” I can't look at Justin. “So you are definitely back for good?”

 

“Yes I am back forever and then a day more!”

 

“I am so pleased for both of you.” She smiles...then she winks.

End of flashback

 

JUSTIN

 

“You were louder than usual.” He sniggers and I feel the remaining tension ebbing away, “Want to know what I think?”

 

“About what?”

 

“Luther.” I nod and start to push us back to the sofa; we get comfortable with my head in his lap, he’s stroking my hair. “I think he wants to be forgiven and this is a start. He didn't have to say anything about Michael…”

 

“He only did when…”

 

“No, listen. He could've said nothing. He had met the family she has now and Michael could've messed with that.” I turn on my back to look up at him. “They are the same, they have the same fire and determination, and they protect what is theirs.” I take his hand and clasp it in mine over my heart. “Can't wait for MJ to come home tomorrow.”

 

“It is too quiet, isn't it?” I grin as our MJAC...Meghan Jada Alarm Clock...has been sorely missed.

 

“Want to make me get loud?” He purrs down at me.

 

I give him my answer by turning on my side to unzip his fly with my teeth.

 

ADIRONDACK PRISON - NEXT DAY

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 13

 

SHEAMUS HAWKS, MICHAEL'S ATTORNEY

 

He is vacillating between shock and anger. Shock because he is a murderer, and a thief; and angry that he was tricked into facing justice. At least according to him!

 

“So what happens to Stark, Fox, and everyone else, surely they should be facing accessory to murder at least?!” His pathetic whine jolts me back into the room.

 

“What happens to them is down to the authorities, but from what I have heard, they left you with Jones still breathing and semi-conscious. By the time he was found he wasn't unconscious.”

 

“That doesn't mean I killed him!”

 

“Yes it does, you were the one that hit him. And only you.” He slumps in his seat as that stroll down excuse avenue is stopped. “But I do know one thing that is happening to Stark. He is being transferred.”

 

“To Rykers I hope! Maybe he and Stockwell can be cellmates!”

 

“Stockwell? You mean Jim Stockwell?”

 

“Yeah, that murdering…” He stops then his eyes get really big. “How about I tell you something about Stockwell, could it help me get a lesser sentence?”

 

“A lesser sentence than the 50 you are already serving, plus a minimum of 20 for murder?!” I demand.

 

“He let him die!” He states as if I haven't spoken. “That cop who shot himself, he didn't call an ambulance. He watched him die! He knew he was guilty too!”

 

“And?”

 

“What do you mean and? This must help in some way?!” He almost shrieks.

 

“No, it does not. First, what he did has nothing to do with what you did. And secondly, he's dead so makes no odds.”

 

“Dead? What do you mean dead?” He gapes.

 

“Had a heart attack that killed him dead. That is what I mean.”

 

“When?!” He gasps.

 

“That is irrelevant, Mr Grassi!” I have had enough of his blinkered thinking. “I need you to listen and take this on board. The only person going down for murder is you, and the only person being transferred to Rykers is you!”

 

“Shit!” The guard whispers and I fight the urge to smile.

 

“Rykers! You can't be serious?! Come on, now, it was a few punches in the wrong place that's all! Can't I stay here?! Rykers is maximum security prison, hard core shit!”

 

“So is beating someone to death!” I snarl, then there is silence.

 

“What about Stark? You said he was being transferred, where is he going?”

 

I rub my temple then crack my knuckles. “Again, irrelevant to your plight right now. The evidence found corroborated their statements. You had agreed to remain with Stark during his hospital stay and the moment the opportunity presented itself you took off…”

 

“He lied to me about Jones!”

 

“What are you talking about?! You came back under your own steam!”

 

“No, he sent me emails!” He storms. “I have them printed out!”

 

“Of course you do.” I drawl and start to pull my papers together.

 

“I do! They are in the bag with the money, he emailed me last week!”

 

“Mr Grassi, whilst Luther Stark admitted what he did to get you out of prison, he has been in New York in the hospital medical wing ever since he woke up from his coma following his infection.”

 

“What?!” He screams.

 

“He never emailed you. He had no access to any emails.”

 

“No he did! I know he did!”

 

“No he didn't!”

 

“But...?!”

 

“Mr Grassi, he didn't! But I do know one thing, whoever emailed you knows you very well, they must do. I doubt there are many people who would be as stupid as you to come back when they had just committed the perfect escape!”

 

HILTON DOWNTOWN, PITTSBURGH - AFTERNOON, SAME DAY

 

LINDSAY'S ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

I stare at my phone, willing it to ring. I am absolutely furious. I look around the room and scowl. My place of servitude was better than this! Whilst I am happy to be out of their bondage, their words of dismissal are still burning me to my core.

 

Start of flashback

JOHANNESBURG AIRPORT - TWO DAYS PRIOR

 

DEPARTURES

 

LINDSAY

 

“This is some kind of test or a bad joke?!” I snap.

 

“It is neither.” Zee retorts. “I realised something: keeping you in bondage may reap its financial reward, but an emotional one not so much. We don't need the money, so you are free to go.” I look down at my cases then back at her. “I am serious, and unlike you I do not tell a bold faced lie over something I don't need to. So here is your ticket, which we paid for, and the little you earned has been paid back into your account. Obviously you are going cattle class, could not have you sullying up first with your delusions of grandeur.”

 

“Behave and let's be gone.” Faal orders with a smile.

 

“Okay. Who is flying, you or me?” She grins up at him.

 

“Neither, Mel is.”

 

“Mel?!” I gasp.

 

“Yep, she and Leda have graduated from bikes to planes. Both have their pilot's license. Now let us go, we have wasted far too much time and energy on something so inconsequential.”

 

“True.” She regards me for a few seconds, long enough for me to become uncomfortable. “And to think, I was this close.”

 

“Close to what?” I demand.

 

“Being like you. So hellbent on getting revenge that I didn't realise I had the perfect one all along. Everyone does. Whilst you are free in the federal sense, you will always be in jail knowing that we have everything you crave.”

End of flashback

 

I smile to myself as finally the phone rings and it is Brian. “You underestimate me, Zee…” I check my reflection in the mirror. “...and now that I don't have to play coral the idiot with Michael, I will be back where I belong. Make no mistake about that!” I count the number of rings and connect the call just before it goes to voicemail. “Peter, oh Peter, is it really you?!”


 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.