- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 - REASON FOR THE AD-VANCING AND MORE S-LUTHERING

BRUTUS

He wobbles again so I hold him tighter. “So what is going to happen is...”

 

“That the position will be sit and sink.” He declares, smiling at me. “Need lots of lube though, and...that was not what you were talking about, was it?”

 

“Nope but good to know we are both on the same other page, I am way too heavy to do anything else! So, what I was actually going to say was, what is going to happen is that I am going to go on a hunt about and it would be great if I had a crack photographer to help.”

 

“Really?! I could go with you?!”

 

“Uh huh. Now first things first…”

 

“I reprint the photos and get the info…” I stop the jabbering by kissing him for a few minutes. “Mmm that was...I, I mean...can I say?”

 

“Say what?” I frown.

 

“I like the way you did that. That, the bossiness that I am into.”

 

“I am not bossy. I am an assertive but gentle giant, okay?”

 

“Okay.” He blushes.

 

“Now, the pictures.”

 

Ten minutes later we are heading to the car on our way to the hospital. Zaden was so furious that she has gotten Tank on lockdown, nobody in or out, and his regular partner is on his way back from vacation. Like Luther said somewhat proudly when he hired me, she has serious pull!

BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

LOUNGE

FAAL

“Vance, seriously?” Brian scoffs then shakes his head. “He is way too British and civilised to do anything to us!”

 

“He torched your loft.” I point out.

 

“We weren’t there.” Justin retorts.

 

“Your cars were.” George reminds him, which stops whatever they were going to say. “He had every intention of causing serious injury.”

 

BRIAN

I look at Justin. He, like me, remembers that last time we saw Vance as clear as day…

 

Start of flashback

VANGUARD OFFICE - TWO YEARS AGO

BRIAN

Vance sounded so desperate. He called begging to see me. I had a spare twenty minutes before meeting Justin. I am about to step into reception when I hear said the dulcet and happy tones of Justin yelling my name. I wait for him to catch up, he looks very happy indeed.

 

“Meeting went…” The rest of my sentence disappears down his throat as he pulls me into a passionate kiss. I wrap my arms around him and tug, he gets higher on his tiptoes.

 

“Excuse me, but I would rather you didn't do that in front of my building.” We slowly separate and regard the haggard visage of Vance. “Can we start this…”

 

“How is that tone helpful?” Justin snipes. “You called him. And believe me, I can get him to ditch you in seconds with just one word!”

 

“My apologies.” He grinds out. “Brian, if…”

 

Mr Taylor-Kinney, and he doesn’t go anywhere with you without me. I have heard it said that the English are the most closeted of cases, and he is a very sexy man.”

 

His eyes narrow before he sighs in defeat. “Gentlemen, please follow me.” As he leads us towards his office, I take in how shabby the place is. He gestures to the sofa, so we take a seat, well I take a seat, Justin sits in my lap. “A drink perhaps? You still drink Beam?”

 

“Yes. Just one glass, please, we like to share things; you know, like bed, saliva, cum...no ice though, I have gotten used to something warm, wet and sometimes creamy going down my throat where he is concerned.” Justin smiles and although Vance tightens his grip on the bottle, hiis hand is steady when he puts the glass on the table in front of us, then sits opposite.

 

“Well cheers.” He smiles thinly, raising his glass, but neither of us move to join him. “I will come to the point.” He sighs and puts down his glass without drinking any. “You are no doubt aware how my business is…”

 

“Sinking into the shitty quicksand that aligning yourself with Stockwell got you into.” I smirk and reach for the glass. “Yes, I am aware. Let’s toast that, shall we?”

 

“Come on, Brian, I am on my knees here. Be reasonable!”

 

“Nope.” I retort and tap Justin’s butt. “Let’s go. This swill smells disgusting, I am not risking the after taste when I suck you off.”

 

“Will you buy me out?!” Vance blurts out, leaping up to stop us from leaving.

 

“Of course not!” Justin scoffs, reaching down for the whisky. He sniffs and grimaces. “Why would we waste money on the likes of you?!”

 

“I am serious! I will be your junior part…”

 

“The word you mean is inferior. You will go the way of Stockwell, into oblivion!” I wrap an arm around Justin to pull him back against me, a move not missed by Vance, who frowns. “I am very protective of my husband. You almost ruined him and I haven’t begun to pay you back for that, but this is a nice start!”

 

“I apologised for that and he could’ve returned if he had accepted the terms of his re-employment!” He objects.

 

“I said no!” Justin explodes, shaking with rage and clenching his fists.

 

“Justin, stop. I can think of a better way to expend that energy. Let’s go to the loft.”

 

TWO HOURS LATER

We run down the street. “What the fuck happened?!” I yell at the fire marshall as he holds back the crowds. “Oh shit! Justin, please tell me that you didn't park in there?!” I look at his stricken face and get my answer.

 

“Brian, all my paintings!” He cries, and attempts to duck under the tape but I pull him back. “I worked so fucking hard!” He wails.

 

“I know, twat, I am so sorry.” I hold him tightly and watch the loft building being engulfed in flames. “So what happened?!” I demand again.

 

“Looks like arson.” He replies, wiping his face.

 

“Arson?!” Justin shouts. “Are you serious?! Where did it start?!”

 

“Top loft. Neighbour heard shouting then breaking glass; the guy running away almost knocked him down the stairs when he went to investigate, just got out himself. Hopefully, there wasn’t anyone in there.”

 

We look at each other in horror. We were going to overnight, but he got hungry and demanded we go eat something before the next round. We had left just half an hour before.

 

BRITIN - THREE DAYS LATER

STUDIO

BRIAN

I sigh and pull my guilt ridden twat into my chest. He is consumed with misery because it was Vance that lit the building up. Sadly, it has to be levelled, so he has convinced himself that him taunting him is the reason why.

 

“When you were going to go to Dartmouth what did I tell you?”

 

“People cause their own pain.” He sniffs. “But our neighbor could’ve...”

 

“But didn’t. And I am not letting you wallow in artist block and grief anymore!” I dump him on the bed. “What was the first painting?” I demand, picking up a brush and heading to the blank - for the last three days - canvas. “I know it was blue with spirals, um like this…” I paint a bad spiral and look over my shoulder. Although he neither speaks nor moves, he is watching me. “And then it had a mustard kinda cum splat at the end.” He swings his legs down as I splat drops of jizz on the canvas. “Oh, and then there was the sun setting in the background, a nice heart shaped peachy sun, bit like your butt.” His arms come around my waist and he snickers. “You going to start forgiving yourself and paint them again?”

 

“Yeah, but after you have made long and hard love to me.”

 

“Now you’re talking!” I hustle him back to bed.

End of flashback

JUSTIN

“So what do you need us to do? Obviously MJ and DJ go to Portland.” I ask, and see the relief in Brian’s face, I have never backed down from a fight, but, like Zee, I need to be focused.

 

“Thank you. Now this is the tough one…” Faal pauses and I know what he is going to say.

 

“Book us both in. I hate guns, but this is my family we are talking about, and as long as I live I will protect them.”

 

“Good. Now I need to see what Tank can tell us.” He grabs his coat and with a kiss to all three of our cheeks is gone.

 

“Now, young-uns, once you pass your competency tests and get those licences, you and I are going gun shopping.” George tells us, we must have looked surprised as he laughs. “You guys don’t do plain and Alice doesn’t do heavy.”

 

“Heavy?” I echo, and now we are both slack jawed.

 

“Alice has a gun?!” Brian exclaims.

 

George sits down with a guilty look. “Yeah, we both do. Have always done.”

 

“Why have you never said?!” I sit down next to him and take his hand, hoping he is reassured that we are stunned not mad.

 

“There was no reason before. Then, when you got upset with Faal having his gun, I told her not to say anything. We’ve been looking after the rich for years, and the ability to handle a gun is one of the skillsets. Nobody ever expects the help to be packing.” He searches my face for understanding. When he finds it he looks relieved. “And, young-uns, she is a better shot than me.”

 

“How the hell have you kept that from Zee and Faal?” Brian laughs.

 

“I have no idea!” George laughs.

 

“Come on, you three!” Alice calls from the door. “Lunch is ready.”

 

I smirk at Brian as we follow her back to the kitchen. “So what we got for eats?”

 

“Bone marrow sliders.” She calls over her shoulder.

 

I feel my heart swell as I see MJ copying Daddy as she feeds Lilah and Milo. I lean back against Brian when his arms wrap around me. We watch our daughter test the salmon with her little finger, then, with a nod, carefully put down Lilah’s then Milo’s plate.

 

“Come on, you two, food is getting cold!” Alice orders, and we quickly take our seats as George helps MJ wash her hands. “Oh, by the way, Zee knows, about the guns I mean.” She grins at us.

 

“How?!” George gasps. “And why didn’t you tell me?!”

 

“The night she found Claudia, you know when I asked her not to have it on her, she asked where mine was.”

 

“Wow, just wow.” Brian snickers then frowns. “As a matter of interest, where is it?”

 

“Never you mind, just know that it is close by!”

 

“So, Portland. Take it Vince is going with the kiddies?” George asks, helping MJ with her slider.

 

“Mmmm.” Brian mumbles around his, then once again frowns before chewing quickly. “Does Vince know about the gun thing?”

 

“No he doesn’t.” I reply, Alice smiles, then slowly Brian does too. “Because he would’ve told Daph…”

 

“And she would’ve told you.” Brian finishes.

 

“Eat, young-uns, the food is getting cold!” George orders.

 

As we do as I am told, I feel a bit sorry for Vance, because if there is there is one person who loves the kiddies more than us, it is George! Despite his grandfatherly demeanour, he is a tough man. I mean, nobody plays jokes on him tough! I snicker quietly as I remember the Christmas he threw the pair of them out and can’t wait for Vance to meet him!

 

SCI COAL - EARLY EVENING

VISITOR’S ROOM

LUTHER

“Who’s he?” I nod at the guy next to Brutus.

 

“Shorty.” Brutus replies. “He’s good.”

 

“Okay.” Sighing, I turn to Zaden, who is smiling. “And that is for?”

 

“Creeps you out and throws you off your game.” She retorts.

 

“I see…”

 

“Which is?” She interrupts.

 

“What which?”

 

“Him which?”

 

“Will you please stop this?!” Faal explodes. “Just stop it!”

 

“Faal…” Zaden recovers first.

 

“This psychological top dogging, when all you two desperately want to do is hug, is tiring!” He starts to pace. “You both have the same mindset: keep each other safe and alive!” He stops pacing, then kneels to takes my hand, tightening his grip when I try to pull away, well as much as I can with the cuffs. “She told me about the picture. You have never stopped loving her, and she has never stopped loving you. She is still your little girl. Can we please attempt to leave the past where it is, in the past? we have enough problems without you two trying to take a walk back down You Fucked Up No You Did Avenue!” Nobody says anything. “Truce? Please?”

 

I look at her and she nods. “Truce.” I reply.

 

“Good.” He stands up, clearing his throat. “So what did you find out, Brutus, anything? At least where he is?”

 

“Who are you talking about?” I frown.

 

“Gardner Vance. We think he is a credible threat to Brian and Justin.” Brutus replies, putting the file he brought in on the desk. “This is him. He has been everywhere they have, and didn’t take it well when he found out that Zaden had bought his old office building and former marital home.”

 

I look to the guard. “Either they turn the pages and you take dictation or you take the cuffs off; I am old fashioned in that I need to make notes.” He looks at Faal who nods.  I rub my wrists and flex my fingers. “I need something to write on.” I say nothing as a box fresh Moleskine notebook and pen is placed on the desk by Zaden. “Okay, let’s work.” I hide my smile as she sits next to me,  then together we read the file.

 

LUTHER’S CELL - NEXT DAY

LUTHER

I wipe my eyes and nose, then smile. Sitting up on my bed, I turn to the back of the notebook and take out the photo. “Just like her but lighter.” I chuckle before carefully putting it in the personal pack so that I can get it put with my effects when the office opens at nine. I check my watch, it is just gone seven. Smiling wider I settle down to go back to sleep.

 

VISITOR’S ROOM - AFTERNOON

I come to a halt when I see who is waiting for me. Slowly I approach and sit down.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.” I reply. “Does she and your moms know you are here?”

 

“Yep.” Jenny replies. “If she can have a truce, why can’t I?”

 

“No reason, no reason at all.” I sit back and regard their Pitbull. “So…”

 

“DJ has the look down pat. And considering she had never met you, it is impressive.” She gives me a small smile. “So, what do you want to know about your grandchildren?”

 

“Everything.” I reply.

 

SCI ALBION - TWO DAYS LATER

DOCTOR’S OFFICE

MICHAEL

“So what happens now?” I ask of Dr Singer. He looks up from a file. “Is that mine?”

 

“No, he is reading a file of a completely different person and you are here to watch.” I feel gut punched and I look behind me. “Hi, Michael, long time no see.”

 

“What is he doing here?! Dr Singer, aren’t these appointments supposed to be private?!” I demand.

 

“Let me answer that, Dr Singer.” Boy Wonder sits on the side of the desk. “This is not an appointment, this is an evaluation. And as party of my psychology degree, I am allowed to sit in on one. Purely by chance I got you.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.