- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - SPEAKING...PART 3


BRITIN - NEXT DAY, AFTERNOON


MUD ROOM


BRIAN


We went straight to the prison when we landed. Whilst there was no press, Zeus and Brutus came with us just in case. Justin is pottering in the kitchen, having cooked up a storm since this morning. Zee gave us some recipes to test - she knows him and food.


“Hey! Can you sort the wine out for me, please? One red and one white.”


“Yep, what were you thinking?” I call back, his bare feet slap on the wood floors and I start to drool. Whatever he has smells good!


“Something that goes with this.” He grins as he holds up a spoonful of darkened meat. “This is the beef skewers, but instead of minced meat, she said to use short ribs.”


“Oh gosh, that is so good! Ems is gonna be pissed!” He frowns. “She said it would taste better with a heavier cut of meat, but he wanted it minced. As for the wine, definitely the 2003 Chateau Mazur, and the rest Altiludes ixsir. How long do we have before we eat?”


“Two hours tops. Wanna go through it?” He gestures at the box we picked up. I put the spoon down then kiss him. “Made you proud again?” 


“Prouder. So we do that, let Brutus and Zeus know what we’ve found, and then tomorrow go to the assessment?”


“I knew you were far gone when I said that!” He giggles. “Arraignment. He has already been assessed.”


“Well…” I pull him closer, then watch him lick the spoon clean. “...you do have a mighty fine distraction technique.”


“I do love distracting you.” He husks. “But can we do that first?” Again he nods at the box.


“Yep, let's get it done. Grab a glass of beam...a large one.”


“You get Zeus and Brutus.” He calls over his shoulder, and I head to the cottage.


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRUTUS


We were all stunned that he had Justin’s birth certificate. I spotted the adjustment immediately, much to Zeus' annoyance. I sift through the rest of his effects, not seeing anything else amiss. There were some medical papers and pills, which winded him slightly, but when I said I would still get them checked they were confused. Then I explained that this got him back in Pittsburgh, and they understood.  


“Okay, Mom, we will see you on Sunday.” Justin is smiling. I can hear Brian singing in the hallway and frown. “MJ demanded a song from Dada too.” He explains softly. 


“Ah, I see.” I start to pack the things away. 


“What are you going to do with that?” He asks quietly.


“Burn it.” I reply. 


“Good, but not on the grounds. Find somewhere else, please.”


“Thought never even crossed my mind. Am taking it back to Albion, they can put the ashes in with him.” He smiles briefly before sighing. “I've also been trying to fathom out Vance and Vampira. Did you know her records have been sealed as well?”


“Whose records?” Brian asks as he comes in with another glass of Beam, which he hands to Justin.


“Lindsay’s. Well, yeah, they were sealed as part of ours...” Justin frowns. “...do you mean her fraud trial?”


“Yep, and she was redacted in the sexual assault trial, which is not unusual. In some states the victim has the right to remain anonymous, it is the sealing that is confusing.”


“Not necessarily…” Brian rubs the back of his neck. “...I have known that family for far too long and far too well, this is a society thing. She has to be seen to be whiter than white now that she’s back. Being banged up in New York, she had that cushion of distance, and you can bet she wouldn't have said anything. Just that…”


“Who is she? Lindsay? Of course Lindsay wouldn't say anything.” Zeus sighs, then is sheepish when Justin taps the side of his mouth with a smirk. “It is very nice, but could do with a bit more salt.”


“Not Lindsay, I mean Nancy.” Brian calls over his shoulder as he heads to the kitchen. We follow him. He takes the chicken out of the oven, tastes it, then reaches for the grinder. “It needs pepper, not salt, but back to their haven…” He grinds a few times then stirs. “...okay, taste it again, Zeus.”


“Yeah, that's definitely better. You need to…” Zeus snorts as Justin is writing and tasting at the same time. “...wait, doesn't she have a sister?”


“Uh-huh. Mel could tell you all about that.” Brian tests the chickpeas. “They are done, both the peas and Lynette and Lindsay. Nancy always preferred Lindsay, eldest and most beautiful of the pair, but the lesbian thing was such a disappointment.”


“Right, I will speak to Mel when we get back.” I state, and look around the many cupboards. “Which ones have the plates in? Oh, we’re coming with you tomorrow, what time are you leaving?”


“You’re not.” Justin surprises us all. “Faal already has people there. We want you as much in the background as we can. The less people know what you look like, the better.”


“Why?” I look at Zeus.


“Did you do any research?!” Zeus laughs as he grabs the wine glasses and helps Brian set the table. “To the outside world, Zander is the face of Stark Securities, and we never show the faces of our staff until they are the last thing that you see. Everyone has to sign NDAs, which has an non-identification clause in it.” I whistle. “Like I said, she is the brains of the business. Before we had it so that everyone knew a Stark employee. Luther likes to ‘show and tell', and said the presence was a deterrent. Wait, let me show you something, it is in the cottage. Won’t be long!”


“He is so proud.” Justin smiles. “They both are.” 


“Who both?” I gaze longingly at the chicken.


“Luther and Zeus. He told me after I had my say. He said every day I am so proud of what she achieved, despite my indifference and interference. She did it and continues to do so.”


“As do you. Finally! We are starving!” Brian declares as Zeus comes back in with his tablet. “Show us quickly!”


“Okay, Brutus look at these two pictures; what do you see?” I look at the side by side pictures of Connor Renner, the first one has him surrounded by a mass of muscle, the second one has less muscle, but he still looks relaxed, confident, and safe. He looks safe in both pictures, but I don't understand why. “You don't see them, do you? It was Vance that gave her the idea.”


“Let me see that.” Brian demands, and I hand it to him. “Got them!” 


“Wait, don’t, I want to guess.” Justin peers over his shoulder. “Oh yeah, got them!”


“Want to guess which is the bodyguard, or should that be guards?” Zeus chuckles.


“They all are.” I declare, but they shake their heads, I check the pictures again, then notice the young woman to his right in the second picture. “Who is that?” I point at her, she has an eerie calmness that radiates out.


“His delightful, ever present PA.” Zeus rolls his eyes. “That’s what Vance kept calling Zee. Nobody would think it. Now the other one?” 


I sit down this time, concentrating on the faces surrounding him. “It's not this guy, is it? No, it can't be. Lepton has been with him for years…”


“I am hungry enough to give that to you, you're close, it's Lepton’s son. His playboy-buddy-in-arms to the outside world. They go everywhere together. Zee saw potential, yeah he was along for the ride but was always watchful where Connor was concerned, so she got him sober and drug free,  then trained up. Same will happen to you, well, not the detoxing bit. Brutus, I bid you welcome to Stark Securities. Now, let’s eat!”


“Thank you, and we are taking the other half of the tart back to the cottage!”


“Noooo!” Justin gripes before we burst out laughing.


LYNETTE’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


RICHARD


I can hear Lindsay stomping around her ‘cell’ upstairs. She’s finally graced us with her presence, having been blissfully gone these last few days. She is packing, ‘what little I have’, and once the money is released from escrow, she will live the life that is befitting a lady of her status.


“She's going to come through the ceiling if she keeps that up.” Lynette grumbles as she comes in, having been on the phone for the last half an hour. “Will you call the bank, or shall I?”


“Oh, I thought you were doing that…”


“No, that was Mel.” She smiles. “She wanted…”


“Why were you speaking to Mel?” 


“That’s what I would like to know!” Lindsay demands. “I didn't mean to interrupt or…”


“The third stair from the bottom creaks. You aren’t as light as you wish to be, as evidenced by the ill-fitting dress. You need to flatter your new curves, not have them, well, as you have them. Have you finished packing? You see, we really would like you gone.”


“I am not leaving without my money!” 


“You have your money.” Lynette replies coldly. “Your account was unfrozen when you were released.”


“I mean the money that Mother and Marcel sent to you for me!” 


“Oh, that money, silly me. Richard, can you do the honours? Lindsay, please wait upstairs, you understand our need for privacy, don't you?” She is impotent with fury, but has no other choice. 


Ten minutes later it is released, but I am confused as to the amount. “Lindsay!” I bellow, she rushes down the stairs. “Please check that it is all there.” I slide the laptop to her. She is very smug as she logs on to her bank account. It doesn't take long for that look to fall off her face. “Problem?”


“There should be more than that!” She demands.


“That’s what I thought, because that is not the original sum they sent. We haven't touched it. Lynette, do you know anything about this?”


“Yes, which is what Mel and I were discussing. Justin Taylor-Kinney petitioned for the return of his support payments. It was so granted, hence the lower amount.”


TWO HOURS LATER 


LINDSEY'S NEW RESIDENCE


LINDSAY


Three hundred thousand dollars! That ass-eating weathercock took three hundred thousand dollars of my money! That is stealing! Yes, I still have a fair sum left, but I wanted and deserved to come out of this cell block with a million dollars to my name! But oh no, he has to continue to blight my life! I think about the last conversation Gardner and I had, and make a note to tell him what has happened. Thanks to the WASP pride of Mother, and the money of Marcel, my trial papers have all been sealed, so to the outside world, by the time we get through with him, he will be seen as nothing but a no-good piece of work who broke up a happy family! If it even gets that far, because Brian will do anything for his Prince! 


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - AFTERNOON


COURTROOM ONE


MICHAEL


I can’t believe it, but I also can believe it! He is here, Brian is here to see me! There is no Boy Wonder, just him. I knew it, I knew deep down it was always going to be Brian and Mikey, always! 




Beef skewers:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/hole-in-the-wall-beef-skewers/

Chickpeas: https://www.pressreader.com/

Chicken shawarma: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oven-cooked_chicken_04728

Dark chocolate and halva tart:

 

 https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/dark-chocolate-halva-tart/51r3ehwe

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. thanks.