- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24 - SPEAKING...PART 4


BRIAN


I can feel his eyes boring into the side of my head, much like he did in the last trial. And, like then, I keep my gaze forward. He clears his throat twice, still I don’t turn. 


“Is there a problem with your client?” Solly demands of his attorney, Isiah Chambers, who replaced his New York one, who said he was not wasting anymore of his time on him. 


“No more than usual.” He returns, Solly snickers.


The door opens, and the first thing that is heard is a burst of laughter from the one and only Malcolm! “Oh yes! And in the year I retire too!” Our favourite bailiff strides over. “Congratulations on your win, Mayor-Elect Taylor-Kinney!” 


“Thanks, Malcolm.” I chuckle, shaking his hand firmly, then frown as he looks behind me. 


“Where’s the First Man?” He asks. We both roll our eyes at the scoffing from his side of the courtroom.


“He will be here in about 2 minutes. Had to change his pants after our earlier meeting.” I smile.


“Ah, he's on the 3rd Floor. If you weren't who you are now, I would be tempted to get a plaque of remembrance!” Malcolm chuckles. “There you are Mr First Man, how nice of you to join us. I take it the meeting was satisfactory?!” He calls out, luckily this is a closed session so there is just us, him, Isiah, some guards, a couple of police officers and Malcolm. I snicker as Justin joins us, once again having a moment of primness, red faced. “Ah, more than satisfactory?! Excellent! How are you finding things?”


“The last two years have been great, the last couple of months not so much, but that will soon be over. Once more Zelda will be banished into the ether never to toxify the air of decent folk with his sulphurosity.” He replies with a smile, like me not once looking across at a huffing-and-puffing, ready to blow a gasket Zelda!


“Behave.” Solly mutters with a grin. 


“If I must.” Justin sighs dramatically. 


“You must…” Malcolm chortles. “...or I will arrange for the third floor to be closed for the duration, which will only please one person...and you wouldn’t want that.”


“Nobody wants to do that.” Justin smirks, I clear my throat. “What? They don't...I checked.”


MICHAEL


I steam as they joke around at my expense. I look at pointedly at Isiah.


“Want me to do something about that, I take it?”


“Yes, make them stop!” I hiss back.


“They, like you, have free will. This is the land of the free, well some of us. Whilst I can suggest that they stop, I can't make them.”


“When is the Judge getting here? Bet he can make them stop!” I retort loudly whilst shooting a nasty look in their direction, which are both ignored.


We all turn to the door at the back of the courtroom as it opens. My stomach clenches at the sight of Officer Lobe making his way down the aisle. He sits behind us. “Good afternoon, Isiah, has he been behaving?” He talks about me as if I am not there!


“As much as someone like him can.” Isiah replies, then clears his throat. “Malc, how long until the judge arrives?”


“Another ten minutes, emergency hearing, which is what I came to tell you. But since no one but him is in a rush to be anywhere but here, let’s all relax, people.”


“This is inhumane!” I declare.


“So is murder.” Isiah returns. “Now you, I can, and am, telling to sit down and be quiet!”


QUBE HOUSE, PORTLAND - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


DEBS


I look around this beautiful kitchen and sigh. Everyone is out and about, it is just me here. I look up as the door opens, Hunter lopes in with a bottle of wine and two glasses. “Thought you and Matt were shopping?” He puts them on the table in the nook and beckons me to join him. By the time I do, he has it opened and is pouring. 


 “It’s Amarone.” He replies. “For a special occasion.”


“What’s that?” I sip it, whilst it is nice, it’s not up there with our normal stuff.


“Amarone, it means bitter, and we should have it for when we talk about him.” I say nothing. Whilst Jenny has processed Michael’s behaviour, we have all been worried about Hunter. After the last trial, he seemed to be okay and accepted what had happened, but with the murder, he seemed to retreat from us, especially Matt. “Even knowing about Jason.” He fiddles with the stem of his glass. “He could still to do that.”


“Jealousy and obsession are strange bedfellows.” I sigh.


“He was pissed off that he was bothering.” He whispers. “Could not understand the fixation with it.”


“Honey, not quite following, who was pissed off and with who?”


“Him, Michael.” He grimaces at my look of surprise. “Yeah, him. He was pissed at the pair of you for taking the time, especially when he did what he did in the end. He may have said he was proud of him, but he wasn’t…”


“Of Carl?!” I exclaim. “He has never been proud of…”


“Not Grampa, Uncle Brian. He hated that he spent all that time and effort to find the killer of some sack of shit go-go-hustler boy, when he could've and should’ve spent that time and effort helping me to resurrect Captain Astro! He knew how much he meant to me, after all the petition had lots of signatures!


I feel like I have a tic so rapid is my blinking. “When did he say that and to who?”


“Don’t know. It was just after I let Rikert fuck me, and…”


“Rikert?! You let him do that?!” I scream and he flinches. “Oh my God, is that...is that how Brian got his…”


“Yeah.” He goes crimson. “I wanted to impress Uncle Brian, and...let's move on from that. Surprised he kept his word for a change.”


My heart rate starts to slow. “Who kept his word?”


“Your progeny. Thought he would use it against me in an effort to get me out. Dad, well I knew I could rely on him. Matt doesn't know, nor do Jenny and Gus, I really want it to stay that way.” He looks pleadingly at me. “Not sure Gramps knows either, but Aunt Mel does.”


“Mel knows?!” I exclaim.


“Yeah. Uncle Brian spoke to her about it. Told her what I did, and...ooof!” I have pulled him into a tight hug. “Gramma! I need to breathe here!” 


“Oh, you little scamp!” I wipe my eyes as he gulps some air. “So, about you having the hots for the Stud of LA…”


“I did not have the hots for him!” He blushes. “Yes, he is an attractive man, but…”


“Sunshine gets chatty when he’s drunk, especially when he’s drunk with Ems!”


“What?!” His eyes widen. “Uncle Justin knew?!”


“Yep!” For the first time since I woke up this morning, I laugh. “Well, that’s a relief!”


“What is?” He looks puzzled.


“That it has only been Sunshine. I really did think he took one for the team.”


“Yep, first, last, and always.” He snickers. “He must have one hell of a dick!”


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


COURTROOM ONE


MICHAEL


They are being such dicks! I fume as they continue to talk to the bailiff. I check to see what notes Isiah is making, but he’s not, he’s doodling. “Excuse me, Picasso, but shouldn't you be using that pad for something else…”


“Like what?” He has the nerve to sound bored!


“Taking notes on their behaviour.” I still his hand, but let go when Lobe jabs me in the shoulder. “And his!” I hiss.


“They are talking to a family friend...” Isiah glares at me. “...you are almost in danger of being charged with assault. This courtroom, in case you have forgotten, is monitored 24/7. I do believe this was where you were found guilty of witness intimidation!”


I lean forward. At least that stops Lobe from breathing down my neck, but that means all I can see of them now is Boy Wonder, as Brian has sat down. 


“Malcolm!” Another guard calls from the door, he turns around. “Prepare the court.”


“Okay, no problem. Thanks!”


QUBE HOUSE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


HUNTER


We have made short work of almost half a bottle of wine. She’s no longer in a state of shock over what I did, but has ordered me to tell Matt. I promised her I would.


“Vampira, your thoughts?” She asks. “You are a smart kid and a good judge of character, do you...oh no, do you think she knows about what you did?!”


“No, definitely not. First, Mel couldn't say, and secondly, she would’ve said something if she knew. Look what she did in San Francisco.”


“That’s true.” She looks thoughtful. “So what do you think she's up to with this Vance character?”


“Apart from exchanging secretions?”


“Hunter!” 


“You should’ve seen her when Mom and Papa Faal came back to the Brownstone later in the week when they first moved in. Not sure what had happened, but he was off with her...she almost slid across the floor she was so hot for his attention!”


“Oh for fuck sake!” She knocks back the wine. “Get more if you are going to talk about that kind of shit!” 


“Sorry, Gramma!” I smirk as I go and get another bottle. When I come back, she is rifling in the pantry. “What are you looking for?”


“The lamb ribs. Your Mom said they were in...aha!” She takes them triumphantly to the oven and puts it on. “Want salad with it?” 


“Please, but no dressing!”


“Open the wine!” She shudders.


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


COURTROOM ONE


MICHAEL


“Is there to be any other comments on the mental assessment of Michael Charles Novotny?” Judge Harper asks.


“No, Your Honour.” Isiah replies, and sits down.


“Thank you, counsellor, Mr Sullivan, do you wish to say anything?”


“No, Your Honour, his statement speaks for itself.”


“Indeed it does.” He stares at me. “Defendant will take the stand.” I make my way over and am sworn in. “I have read the statement twice now, I am curious as to where it is?”


“Where what is, Your Honour?” 


“Your remorse. I don't see it here.” I am glad that there aren't many people present, or I would be full of holes, since all eyes are boring into me. “You had every intention of absconding again, didn't you?”


“It may have looked that way, but when I heard he was awake, I…”


“Mr Novotny, do not insult the court with your lies. When you were tricked into returning, the first thing that you did was to try and arrange to leave again, stating...now where is it? Ah, here, my mother has taken a turn for the worse, I will need more time off. Like I said, every intention of absconding, and with the mask you attempted to make, every intention of concealment, to what end I ask? And for someone so worried about the late Jacob Jones, you made no effort to go and see him. Your first visit was to Luther Stark…”


“So when is his trial, Your Honour?” I interrupt.


“Do not do that again, but in answer to your question, he is not going to have a trial. He has had time added onto his sentence.”


“How much?” I am beginning to get increasingly irate at the way Boy Wonder is looking at me. For almost the last hour, nothing, now he's got that cocky look on his face. My stomach pinches as Brian strokes the back of his head and whispers in his ear. He turns to him and kisses his nose. “Excuse me, but can you make them stop that?! I am finding it distracting!”


“Their behaviour is not up for scrutiny, yours is! If you find it so displeasing, then focus your attention on your attorney.” He waits for me to look at Isiah. “Now then, as I was saying, the case of the State vs Luther Stark and others, excluding yourself, has been settled, and…”


“May I ask a question, Your Honour?” Isiah stands up, the Judge nods. “Just for my own clarification, it is Michael Charles Novotny and him alone that had been charged in the connection with the murder of Jacob Jones?”


“Yes. Whilst Mr Stark and his accomplices, and I include the late Mr Jones in this, were instrumental in his absconding, Michael Charles Novotny was the one who caused the injuries that led to his death. Why do you ask?”


“The defendant feels that they should be charged with his murder as well.”


“No.” He bites out. “Well, answer my question, the mask, where were you intending to wear it? And why did you go to your former store and take residence near your ex-husband and children?”


Inhaling deeply, I gather my thoughts. “At the time, my mind was…”


“Not disturbed. It has never been mentally disturbed. Apart from gnawing jealousy and frustration…” Boy Wonder rolls his lips in to suppress his smile. “...and from the assessment sessions you have been having, it shows that your focus has not changed. I would not be surprised if you were thinking of someone else whilst you were attacking…” Brian glares at me and Boy Wonder gently pushes his face away from me with a shake of his head. “...the defendant will listen!”


I snap my gaze back to my attorney, who doesn’t look impressed. “Apologies, Your Honour.” 


“I would rather this came from the defendant, but thank you for it. Now, I am going to take the unusual step of ordering the defendant to remain on the stand. However, he will rise as I am about to pass sentence.” I swallow hard, but resign myself to a few more years. “I have taken into consideration all the facts, and I do not feel that any additional time would serve a purpose. Based on your behaviour before, during, and now, the only sentence that the State of Pennsylvania deems fit is to commute your current sentence to one of death.”


“What?!” I gasp.


“I, Judge Jeremy Harper, hereby commute the sentence of Michael Charles Novotny, and he is to be placed on death row of SCI Rockview until such time as a date of execution is so ordered.”


“You...you can't!” I shout, my heart almost exploding. Everyone is staring at Judge Harper in disbelief. “You! You, Boy fuckhead Wonder, this your fault!” I grip the stand. “Why didn‘t you just leave, or better yet, just fucking die that night?”


“Come on, Stud, we're leaving.” Brian stands and pushes him ahead of him. “We got what we came for, justice for Jacob Jones.”


“What about my justice?!” I yell.


QUBE HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


MATT


I press the glass firmly into Hunter’s hand. “Drink.” I order. The room is quiet as we take what has happened on board. We’re in the nook, everyone else is sitting at the table. “Want another?” I ask. He nods, handing me the glass. “What the hell was he thinking?” 


“Guess all he could see was what Justin took away from him.” Hunter shrugs.


“He wasn’t taken, he went.” I reply, retaking my seat next to him and squeezing his hand.


“I know you said, but tell me again.” Hunter rests against me.


“He was shouting and screaming. Stupidly, they remained near the front after talking to Malcolm. Uncle Brian had gone ahead of Uncle Justin, thank Christ he was close behind him. Maybe it was adrenalin and rage, because I don’t know how, but he leapt from the stand at Uncle Justin…”


“...and that’s when one of the special services guards shot him?”


“Yeah, he was killed instantly.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please revieew kinidly and constructively.