- Text Size +

CHAPTER 30 - BLAST FROM THE PAST AND SHE BITES


VANCE’S CAR, OUTSIDE CITY HALL - A WEEK LATER


BRUTUS


I say nothing as I pull up. She has been either checking her reflection or her notes. I clear my throat to attract their attention.


“Well, open the door then.” She scowls.


“The car is still moving. I think he was pre-empting our arrival.” Vance retorts, and waits. He frowns when she doesn’t say anything. “Thank him when you get out, alright?” I hear him whisper. She closes her compact loudly.


“There’s no press. I thought...” She leans across him to peer out the window.


“Well, I thought it best that the press were inside, this has to be done correctly. No room for error. I know what I am doing.” He replies. “We’re ready, Brutus, if you could let us out, please?”


“Of course, Mr Vance.” I smile. “Do you want me to wait, Mr Vance?” I ask as he steps out. “If so, where?”


“Thanks, Brutus, if you could wait here, we will be about an hour or so…”


“That short? I have so much to say, so it will be longer.” She calls over her shoulder as she strides ahead of him. 


“Uh, Lindsay, do you know where you are going?” She stiffens before pausing by the steps. “I didn’t think so. On reflection, maybe it would be best to wait down the road, Brutus, I will text you when we are coming out.”


“Thanks.” I give him a salute then get back in the car.


GARDNER


I wait until we are inside the hotel to round on her. “Lindsay, you have got to show more composure and less ass with this situation, in fact every situation going forward, which has to be with everyone!” 


“I am just nervous about this!” She protests.


“You are being an ass!” I snap back. 


“Gardner…” She steps closer lowering her voice. “...I am confused by this tone you have had all week. What is wrong with you?!”

 

“You have been been second guessing me all week, questioning my intentions, then unnecessarily rude to Brutus. This is what I did for a living. I was very good at it until one drunken mistake. Now, follow me, say nothing until I tell you!” I feel her heated glare in the back of my skull, but I don’t care. If she hasn’t been fetching and carrying on about this, she’s been almost leech like after I got an unexpected call...


Start of flashback

VANCE’S RESIDENCE - THREE DAYS PRIOR


LOUNGE


GARDNER


I frown at the screen as I don’t recognise the caller number. “Who is it?” Lindsay looks over my shoulder and I shrug. “Aren’t you going to answer it?”


“They’ll call back…”


“It could be a member of the press, we…”


“I have a different phone for that, I keep my work and private lives separate.”


“I didn’t know that.” She raises an eyebrow. “So what is it?” 


“What…” I begin as my phone rings again. “...let me get this. Gardner Vance speaking. Oh, hello, what a surprise, didn't expect to hear from you! How are you? Good, that’s good. Can you bear with me one second…” I mute the call and get up smiling. “...won't be long, Lindsay.” I call over my shoulder as I step into the hallway, closing the door behind me. “So lovely to hear from you, Joelle! I’m fine, just fine. It was nice to meet…” I pause as the lounge door opens, Lindsay steps out, closing it behind her, before heading to the kitchen, but leaving the door open. I sigh crossly. “...up with you again. How’s the family? Obviously, I haven’t seen them in a long time - too much bad blood. To be honest, I didn't think you would speak to me when I saw you...”


“I am just making a smoothie, but would you like a coffee darling?!” Lindsay calls out from inside the kitchen.


“...excuse me, Joelle. No, thank you, Lindsay, I’m…” I am cut off by the noise of the blender going full pelt. I close the door before sitting on the stairs. “...as I was…”


“Sorry, darling, what did you say to the coffee? Was using the blender.” 


“Yes, I noticed.” I bite out, then we stare at each other.


“Hello? Hello, G, are you there?!” Joelle calls loudly.


“G...an ex-family nickname, how sweet.” Lindsay smiles. “So, coffee? If so, want it out here or in the kitchen?”


“Out here.” I reply tightly. “So, as I was saying...” I grind my teeth before putting the call on mute when Lindsay comes out with two mugs and sits next to me. “Lindsay, what are you doing?”


“Having coffee with you. It’s not a problem, is it?” She smiles then leans her head against my shoulder. “Next week is going to be difficult. I just know it is. With the power he now yields…”


“Joelle, I am sorry, but can I call you back? In about five minutes, I need to take this call elsewhere…”

End of flashback


LINDSAY


I glare at him. “You put her before me in my hour of…”


“Don’t say hour of need!” He snaps. “You got territorially jealous, then didn’t like it when I refused to bend to your will. She is a family friend and that’s all…”


“Of your ex-wife. You do not need to be friends with you ex-wife’s friends!” I keep myself from exploding.


“And how, pray tell, did you find out about your ex-wife’s pregnancy? I don’t recall you saying anything about her until the dinner!” He rasps out before moving us to a quieter part of the foyer. “Well?!”


“I was on the same table as her, through no fault of my own, one of my ex-friends took great pleasure in telling me. And then I was escorted away…”


“Gardner?!” A man calls out from the room behind us, Gardner slaps a smile on his face. “I am so pleased to see you back amongst the thick of things!” He comes out of the room to join us.


“Thank you, Charles, I am grateful to be given this opportunity to redeem myself after my mistake. Now let me introduce you to this brave lady. Charles Denkman, this is Lindsay Peterson.”


“Lovely to meet you, Charles.” I smile and hold his hand a little longer and side eye Gardner, he purses his lips, I smile wider. “I am a trifle nervous it has to be said. Which esteemed publication are you from?”


“I am sure you will be fine.” Charles replies. “I work for the Pittsburgh Tribune. And have...” 


“I think we should go in soon.” Gardner interrupts, looking at his watch. “Charles, can you give us a minute or two?”


“Of course.” He replies and heads back inside.


“He seems nice.” I smile whilst picking off the lint from my skirt. 


“He is. Do you have everything clear in your head?” His cool reply throws me, but I try not to let that show. “Well, do you?”


“Yes I do. Shall we go then?”


CONFERENCE ROOM - TWO MINUTES LATER


GARDNER


I keep in the shadows. The point is to make Lindsay the main focus. With my slight troubles, they would draw too much focus away from her. I look around the room and it’s full, when I first sent feelers out to see if the less liberalised press would be interested in hearing about her torment, I thought I wouldn’t get much response, but then I dropped in the tidbit about him ‘playing at being gay for the pink vote’ and that got people’s interest.


I nod at Charles who is leading this, he sits next to a head bowed Lindsay.


“Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I am Charles Denkman, this is Lindsay Peterson. She has bravely stepped forward following the ‘murder’ of Michael Charles Novotny to expose the true character of the First Man…” The use of the word ‘murder’ has the desired effect. “...please, could you listen to her without interruption then ask questions? This is the first of three conferences.”  The room goes silent as he turns to her and sits down. “Are you ready?”


LINDSAY


“Yes…” I whisper and look tearfully up. “...I have known Mayor Elect Taylor-Kinney since college…” I go on to tell them how we made love and vowed to have a child together. I say nothing about Mel’s objection to him as the father. I lay it on thickly how we agreed to be married when Gus became 16. “...I first noticed the insidious behaviour of the First Man the night Gus was born. My late dear friend Michael was there too. I had asked Brian which name he preferred, Gus or Abraham. He turned to Michael to ask what he thought, and the First Man talked over him. He insisted on going home with him that night, claiming he had nowhere to go. Michael, from that point started to be forced into the back seat of their friendship. The pursuit was relentless. I was powerless to stop it, to stop him. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he engineered the bashing. He was, and is a provocateur...”


“Took one hell of a of a risk, didn’t he?!” Is shouted out and I frown.


“Questions afterwards, please!” Charles calls out.


“No, it’s okay, what do you mean risk?” I reply, ignoring the warning look from Gardner. I know this was not in the script, but I am curious.


“Well, he could’ve actually killed him that night. Besides, he wasn’t going to go. Mayor Elect turned the First Man down. He told you that when he was in the store with you and Gus and he bought that white scarf. Now how was it described in the trial...by your late dear friend Michael Novotny, ah, yes, the scarf of significance.”


“Excuse me, who is that?” Charles demands.


A blonde haired man stands up, but looks nervous. “I am Christopher Alphonse…”


“Which publication do you represent?” Charles asks.


“I don’t.” Christopher returns. “I am representing myself and Justin Taylor-Kinney.”


“Why are you representing him?” I glance at an equally puzzled Gardner.


“Because I bashed him on prom night. My former surname is Hobbs. It was my actions and my actions alone. He had nothing to do with it.”


“Uh…” I am stunned, as is everyone.


“And I have reached a form of peace with them, something your jealousy and the jealousy of your dear friend, Michael would never allow you to do. Have to admit, him pulling the gun on me was a surprise, but he didn’t pull the trigger, nor did he ‘pull the trigger’ on Novotny. Novotny’s actions caused that.”


“Um, excuse me, Ronald Chase from Pittsburgh Times. Did you say one of them pulled a gun on you?”


“Yes I did. Put it in my mouth, told me to suck on it. I shat myself.” He looks weirdly proud. “It was the First Man. And before you say anything, he had the right to. I got ‘nothing’ for what I did, and what I did was try and kill him.”


“You are Christopher Hobbs?!” I gasp.


“Yes, and this…” He pulls a gentleman up next to him. “...is my…”


“Attorney?” Charles scoffs.


“Husband.” He smiles. They both do.


“So why are you making up your version of Cinderella with Rumpelstiltskin? Oh, my manners, I am Marc. He still has his country club membership despite living in France, gets the newsletters...and the gossip.”


“What do you mean gossip, and who is Rumpelstiltskin?” I fume.


“Gardner Vance, the man you spread for like butter when you found out that your ex-wife is pregnant. Whilst that is true, she is most assuredly not pregnant with Justin’s child!” Debbie’s voice blasts from the doorway as she strides towards us. “You remember your ex-wife, right, or does she fade from view when there is a rich cock in the vicinity like Faal, or a button pushing one like Brian? Who is one thousand percent gay, not bisexual, the way she is when it suits! And as for Gardner, this is the same Gardner Vance who represented Jim Stockwell, who fired Mayor Elect Kinney when he found out about ‘who’ the ‘concerned citizens for the truth’ were! For the less quick amongst you, for you represent the less human press, that would be Mayor Elect Taylor-Kinney. It was he who found out about the killer of Jason Kemp and the cover up that Stockwell tried to do. It was because of his efforts that Stockwell was indicted and not because of you two!” 


“I think we should…” Charles begins, shooting a furious look at me, then Gardner.


“Sit your ass down!” Debs bellows, like most when she commands, he does so. “And the same Gardner Vance who was found guilty of an arson attack that destroyed the some of the art work of Justin Taylor, and all because he wouldn’t allow his husband to bail him out!”


“And you are?” Ronald queries, iPad poised.


“Debs Horvath. Proud mother to Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney. Ashamed mother to Michael Charles Novotny, who was a thief, a fraudster, a murderer and their worst fucking nighmare!” She rests her bulbous butt on the table, blocking me from view. “Oh you, Christopher, you and I need to talk, capice?!” 


“Yes ma’am!” He replies quickly.


“So who amongst you wants to hear the truth about this…” She jabs her thumb over her shoulder. “...so called damsel in distress?!”


“Me. I want to know.” Charles growls, when I glance across to Gardner he is looking murderous.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindlyk and constructively. Thanks.