- Text Size +

CHAPTER 33 - SOME SOUTHERN TROUBLE THEIR WAY COMES


LINDSAY’S RESIDENCE - THREE DAYS LATER


KITCHEN


NANCY


I hand her the glass of water before frowning at the knocking. “Expecting anybody?” I bite out when Lindsay holds up her hand, Marcel goes to open it.


“Ah, Gardner, come in…”


“Thank you.” His tone is cold, “Is she still resting?” 


“She’s in the kitchen with Nancy. I…”


“At least she can answer a question I have. Which is why…” He rails as he enters looking thunderous. “...in fuck’s name did you do that?!” 


“Gardner…” She rubs the sore spot on the back of her stupid head. “...I admit that the situation looks bleak now, but it seems to not have hit the media as…”


“Not hit the media?! Not hit the media?! I don’t give a damn about that shit-shower you caused, I am talking about you calling my ex and telling her about the apartment!” 


“I did not!” Lindsay exclaims.


I sigh as once more the door knocks. “I’ll get it.” Marcel declares. “Oh, hello, who are you?” 


“The name is Honeycutt. Emmett Honeycutt. I would like to come in, by which I mean let me in or I start hollering. She knows how loud I can get.”


“Let him in, Marcel, and quickly!” Lindsay orders.


EMMETT


“It is where?” I demand as he steps aside. 


“What is it you want, Emmett?” She asks as she comes into view.


“Ah, how’s the head? Sore? And that ass after the kicking you got? Able to sit on it now? Let me see you do it.” I order, wisely she backs up. “You must be Mother.” I take in her ‘supposed presence’, and am unimpressed. “I am confirming a suspicion, I do not wish to be introduced.” 


“What do you want, Emmett?” Linsday sighs. “Can you make it quick, and how did you get my address?”


“My sources are my own.” I smile thinly before turning back to her. “You caused him to get a beating. In fact, both of them to be beaten as he said. Now, they have ‘beaten’ you both, so whatever foolish notion you have to get back at them, I would forget. Whilst you’ve been resting and shirking responsibility, not for the first time mind you, I have been reading. Even though I was there for all of it, the full horror of what you attempted to do to your children, well that was bad enough, but everything else. Tell me, Lindsay, what wrong did Brian Kinney do to you that you wanted to bankrupt his life so much, apart from fall in love with Justin?”


“Mr Honeycutt, if I can address you as such!” Mother snipes. She gives me a stinking look, but I have verbally gouged out many an eye. She is in for a very rude awakening! “How dare you speak to Lindsay that way?! She is still very tired after the violent assault she suffered, and…”


“You haven’t answered my question, Lindsay.” I turn to her Mother. “And since you smell as sulphurous as you look, I would advise silence, thus saving my ears, nose, and throat...oh how you do seep into the body!” I hiss before reaching up and pushing her jaw shut! “Now then, you were going to say…”


“I…” Lindsay stammers.


“Let me save you the tiring lying you will try. It is because you wanted him to feel the pain you were caused all the way back from that one and only time you two did it. He treated you like he treated everyone else, like a trick! It didn’t matter to him, but later when you and Mel got together, he made it seem like it did as it bugged her.” 


“Are you finished?” Lindsay demands, her face mottled. 


“Yes. And I hit the nail on the head, didn't I? So, Vance, what are they trying to convince you to do?”


“Nothing anymore. Was this another bit of revenge for Joelle? Is that why you called my ex?!”


“She didn't call her.” I smile, as I adjust my collar. “It was me who called her. You see, I believe that family can be both inherited and befriended. You hurt someone very dear to me. He is one of my family, part of my tribe, as it were. I thought it was the good and brotherly thing for me to do. So, have you and Joelle set up a date yet? It was mentioned before this debacle that you two had a conversation. I mean, after the one that threw Miss Bitter Knickers into a pinched fit.” 


“I knew it!” Lindsay seethes. “How glad I am that…”


“We were not exclusive, were we? At least let’s admit that, we were a means to an end, which ultimately backfired for both of us! You wanted to get back in with the set, and I wanted to humiliate the pair of them. We fed off each other!”


“What a disgusting image that is!” I shiver.


“Well, she’s going to have a fight on her hands, that apartment is going to remain mine! I would apologise for initially blaming you, Peterson, but since you messed up so badly, I’m not. I am going to prepare for my date. Joelle may have some questionable friends, but at least she's more of a lady! Goodbye, Peterson, let’s not keep in touch!” She says nothing as he slams out before pausing to make a call. “Hello, Joelle it’s G!” He bellows as he gets into his car. I do not return the cheeky wink Brutus gives me. 


“So I am going to leave you with another question.” I pause and turn towards the scowling twosome and the ‘doorman’ with a slow smile. Lindsay is right to swallow hard, as I have learned from Zee to never walk into a battle without being fully armed! “Which is for you, Marcel. Which of the two was better? The mother or the daughter? I hope, like Brian, you at least rinsed your dick off before you went from one hole to the other?”


LOUNGE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


NANCY


“When did this happen?!” I hiss, now that I can actually think and speak.


“Nancy, nothing happened! Nothing ever will!” Marcel exclaims. “As Lindsay said, he lied to her about Justin being the father to that baby, he’s obviously lying about this! It is you and only you I have eyes for!”


“How could you think that of me?!” Lindsay wails. “I am many things, but to think this is abominable! Get out, just get out!”


“Lindsay, I am so sorry!” I beseech her, but she backs away from me. “And, Marcel, to you too. He sounded so convincing, and what with...I am sorry. Look, let’s have things settle down, I will come and check on you in a day or so.”


“I said get out!” Lindsay screeches, and minutes later we are out the door.


“We will talk when we get indoors!” Marcel snaps; I follow him in silence.


LOUNGE 


LINDSAY


I watch her scurry up the street after him. My head is pounding. I have to regroup now that I am on my own. As I shakily pour myself a large glass of wine, I try to work out how the hell Emmett found that out!


INSIDE OF EMMETT’S CAR - 10 MINUTES LATER


MILLIE


“Well that was marvellous fun!” I chuckle as I watch the video again. “I had wondered what was going on for her to be back so quickly, and with all of that money, but without a stain on her character. Well, Bernie and I did some digging, and et voila, it seems she will do anything.”


“You mean this arrangement was not sanctioned by the sulphurous one?!” Ems gasps.


“Oh, gosh no! This was something that they came up with themselves.”


“Why? I just don’t understand this.”


“Such is the covetous nature of some people. Nancy fancies herself to still be a thing to be admired, with Marcel being much younger than her and now she’s back with him, well you can see where a single, bitter and point scoring little trollop would hit her.”


“I see. Well, speaking of hits, what we need to do is go to the Diner.” Ems taps the partition and the car starts. “I am hoping for calmness.”


“In the face of Debs, Zee, Mel and Pitbull storm waiting for him, I think that is a fruitless exercise, but I hope at least this affords him some closure.” I sip my gimlet.


SCI ALBION - SAME TIME


WARDEN’S OFFICE


ARCHIE


I look at Mel, then Lute. “You aren't serious?!” My heart is jackhammering so much I think I am going to pass out.


“Very serious. We don’t mess about when it comes to injustice.” Mel declares with a smile. “And the Bar Association agrees. They feel that he did a mediocre job, bordering on colluding with the prosecution when representing you. Your sentence will be reviewed, and you will be allowed to explain the extenuating circumstances.


“I will still be in jail though?” I whisper. 


“Yes.” Jenny squeezes my hand. “Archie, the fact remains that you did and admitted to doing the crimes, but the sentence might not have been as severe if they had known.” She strokes my arm. “This is good, and I shall help you to write your statement. Grandpa Luther will help you with your presence in court, and then Mom...oh wait, maybe not Mom. Suppose it depends on how far along she is in her pregnancy when you are to appear! But we know lots of people that can be there for you!”


“Kingsman, are you okay to do this now? At least make a start, hmm?” Warden Price smiles kindly. Since he replaced Scale, the atmosphere has been better, well as good as a prison can be. Unlike with Scale, we feel listened to, and even better, there were a couple of guards with Scale’s mindset and they swiftly followed him out the door. 


“Yeah...yes please, shall we do it here? Can Lute stay with me? He has a better way of speaking than I do.”


“I think that’s a good idea. You can use the meeting room in the visitor's block, I will arrange for Guard Swift to be with you, and all sessions will be recorded.” 


“Thanks.” I smile before realising what she has just said. “Uh, Jenny, did you just say Grampa Luther?”


“Yep. Well, go on then.” She jabs him in the side.


“They all are. I spoke to Matt and Hunter. Jenny will ask Gus and Taylor to do the same.”


“Which of course they will!” Pitbull beams. 


“Wow, I am so pleased for you!” I declare, clapping him on the shoulder. “So, come on, Grampa, let’s get this show on the road! Are you two going to stay, Mel?”


“I am, but Jenny has to go. She’s got to referee a chat.” Mel looks a little grim faced. “Christopher Hobbs, Debs, and Zee are meeting in a couple of hours.”


“They should meet in the Diner.” Lute declares, and Jenny nods “It’s time for her to be Mother, don’t you think?”


“Told you my Grampa is smart!” Jenny grins.


DINER - THREE HOURS LATER


DEBS


Never ever thought I would see the day that I, Debs Horvath, would be facing  Christopher Hobbs; because, to be honest, I didn’t think he would show up, let alone come by himself. Zee and Jenny are in the booth behind us. I caught Jenny’s little smile as Zee casually removed her jacket when he first came in. She just happened to have a gun.


“Message received?” She calls out.


“Yes ma‘am.” He replies quickly. She looks affronted. “I mean, Ms Stark!”


“Better.” I accept on her behalf as she continues to glower. “And I am Debs Horvath as I said. You will call me Mrs Horvath.” I point at the seat opposite, he sits. “Husband is waiting for you where?”


“At the hotel. Are they coming too?”


“They have names!” Zee snaps.


“Sorry, sorry, Ms Stark. Brian and Justin, are they coming?”


“No, we are representing them.” Ems declares as he and Millie enter. “I am Emmett Honeycutt, and this is Millie…” He starts then pauses. “...oh, I take it you know him and his family?”


“Yes. I always suspected, but unlike some kept my thoughts to myself.” Millie replies.


“So we are all safely gathered. Get on with it!” Zee orders.


“There’s not much more to tell.” Hobbs scratches his head. “I thought it was him, and was just going to do his car, but then they danced. He looked so happy then, when he was heading back to his car, he looked even happier. I just lost it, plain and simple, I lost it.”


“And you helped us, I suppose.” I concede before standing up. “You can…”


“Call your husband. Get him to meet us at the top of Liberty Avenue in 10 minutes.” Jenny declares. 


“Uh, why?” Hobbs asks, but takes his phone out when Zee waves her gun at him.


“Uncle Justin and Uncle Brian have laid the ghost to rest. They went back to the garage and exorcised their demons. It’s time for you to do the same. And when you’ve done that, come back and create a happy memory instead. Take a stroll around the proverbial poop deck that is Liberty Avenue.” He just stares at her, but when she clears her throat the trigger click has him dialling quickly.


“Okay, we’ll pick you up instead then?” He looks nervously at Zee. “The hotel that we are in, is um, near…”


“Come on.” Zee orders. “I’ll drive. Wouldn’t want you getting lost on the way.”


LIBERTY AVENUE - EARLY EVENING 


EMS


“She’s still sulking!” Millie laughs as we walk behind a slightly slump shouldered Zee as we head back to the diner. Debs is walking alongside Hobbs and his husband, pointing out the sights. “I think the only time I have seen her so crushingly disappointed was when Zeus beat her at chess!”


“I know! But Millie, you said something on the way here, that he is over it. He is. Like Jenny said the ghost has been exorcised, Justin is over it.” I frown.


“But Christopher isn’t. Despite Jenny’s best intentions, he’s still hurting over this.” Millie sighs. “Again, the nature of the society is such that revenge will come. The question is, what is he going to do when he directs his anger at the right person?”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reveiwing, please be kind and constructive.