- Text Size +

CHAPTER 35 - DIGESTING


OUTSIDE JENNIFER’S HOUSE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I shrink back as yet another car pulls into her drive. I am so thankful for the coat I decided to bring with me, thick and with a hood. I watch as Mel gets out and waddles to the front door. I don’t recognise the little girl with her but it’s clear that they have a close relationship. “Mama Melly, can I ring it?” She calls up.


“Mom! Let me do it!” Jenny calls out as she hops out to the car. “Hold on sis!” 


Sis?! Surely that can’t be Taylor?! 


Jenny holds her up and they wait. “Gussie!” ‘She squeals as the door opens and launches herself into his arms.


“Tay-Tay!” He cries before blowing kisses on her neck. “I have missed you. Jeez, Mom you are huge, sure there’s just the one?!”


“We’ve been thinking the same thing…” Is the last I hear as they go inside the house then it starts to drizzle. It is only when the rain starts to seep through my hood do I make my way up the road to find a cab.


THE TREEHOUSE - NEXT MORNING


GUN ROOM


ZEE


“I have been making trackers.” I tell the assembled group.


“Trackers?! Why didn’t you say?!” Faal demands. “That’s not fair, we could’ve helped!”


“We would love to have helped!” Zeus pouts. “That’s the thing with you ZayZay, you get like you get when you get an idea!”.


“I needed them to be perfect, there was no point building up your hopes for them not to work!”


“So…” Faal inches forward. “...explain these beauties.” I snicker as anything that involves tracking are called ‘beauties’ in his world. 


“Check them out.” I order making sure I am out of the way when they leap at the table. They examine the contents, before Zeus nods at Faal, who finally picks up the ‘pill’ turning it between his thumb and finger. “And how do you think it works?”


“You smear it on them.” Zeus hedges. 


“Nope. Next.” I am hit by a flurry of completely wrong and ludicrous answers until the need to do the wings gets the better of me. “Okay stop. Zeus, when you went out this morning, you went to the Bro-House, E&ZHoD...twice I might add, to Kinnetic and finally back here.”


He looks confused and astonished. “Yeah, that’s exactly where I went, how did you know that?”


“It’s a digestible tracker. Mixed it in with your cereal at breakfast. The gel dissolves in a liquid and the tracker gets swallowed down in the food, the problem is it only lasts 72 hours.”


“Patented?” Faal queries looking at me proudly. “How much supply?”


“What’s going on?” Brian asks as he and Justin enter.


“Trackers.” Zeus replies before getting some water. “These for them?” 


“Yeah, not sure who else though.” I frown. “And a month for them. Hopefully, all the crazy will have calmed down by then.”


“Are they on?” Zeus asks.


“One sec.” I cringe at the tiny flash. “Yeah need to work on that.”


“You two, take these.” Faal orders handing them a pill each and watches them drink. “If you are not with any of us for long periods of time. You must take them every three days, you promise.” They nod. “Show me my Lig.” I flick on the screen and at first nothing happens for a couple of minutes. But then their presence blinks on. “Yes!” He exclaims.


“Hmmm. I have heard that kinda yes, and since you are dressed…” Ems teases as he comes in. “...what has she made?”


“Digestible trackers!” Justin bounces excitedly.


“Digestible? May I take one please?” Ems asks, his eye twinkling.


“And why do you need it?” Brian frowns. 


“Friend has a date.” He replies. “Not sure about this would be paramour, so can I?”


Faal and I exchange looks, when he nods I beam at my ‘other man’.. “Sure, why not but before that let’s go get some coffee and test the cupcakes on our now captive audience.”


KITCHEN - TEN MINUTES LATER


EMMETT


“Let’s keep this to ourselves for now.” Zee orders. “We don’t need to cause panic yet.”


“I hate keeping secrets from Big Bad and Baby, but you are right. He will lock him down tighter than a snare drum if he finds this out before we need him to.”


“We are wasting away in…” Faal stops, looks and breathes deep. “...catch me up!”


SGROPPINO AND NEGRONI COCKTAIL BAR - EARLY EVENING


GARDNER


I adjust my tie and take a look around. “Very nice.” I mutter to myself before taking a sip of my Pinot Grigio. “Your guest has arrived sir.” The waiter smiles at me. “She is just using the powder room, I will bring her over immediately when she returns.”


“Thank you.” I smile at him, he nods his head and again I adjust my tie. Five minutes later a discreet cough has me turning in his direction. She looks stunning, absolutely stunning. “Joelle, oh you look gorgeous!” 


“Why thank you G, that is very sweet of you! How have you been keeping?!” I bask in her smile. “I couldn't believe it when you called me to ask me out! And thank you for agreeing to meet here, it is closer to my hotel.


“Not a problem, as for the keeping. I am okay, my days have improved as I have removed certain people from my life…”


“Ah, the lady from the luncheon and you are no longer an item?”


“Lady, well hardly! But yes, we have parted ways, she…”


Oh my goodness!” She exclaims then we both stare at her nail floating in my wine glass. “G! I am so sorry! Let me just get that!” 


“No, no, no...it’s perfectly fine! We will just replace the glass!” I signal the waiter, and it is quickly replaced. “See no problem.” 


“Thank you.” She smiles at him. “And whilst you’re here, may I have a rum and cock?”


“A rum and what?” I splutter.


“Coke.” She frowns for a second. “As a matter of interest, what did you think I said?”


“Uh, no matter.” I blush before turning to the waiter. “You heard the lady, a rum and coke please?” I prompt.


“No problem, it will be right with you ma’am.” He smirks, definitely smirking.


I smile brightly at her as she leans in. “You smell luscious.” I whisper.


“Thank you, but um…” She looks around and leans in closer. “...do you think they could get it back for me?”


“Get what…” I begin then realise. “...uh, I think they will have thrown it away.” 


“Your rum and coke ma’am.” The waiter places it in front of her.


“Oh wonderful. Now before you go…” She takes a sip and I pray she is not going to ask about that! “...the nail that was in his glass. Has it been trashed? I ask because, well look!” She holds up her hands; I have to admit they do look odd.


“I will see what I can do.” He replies before striding away, which I think is wholly unnecessary, it is just a nail after all! In less then two minutes he is back accompanied by a waitress. “Ma’am, we have retrieved it and this lady will help you reattach it.”


“Oh thank you!” Joelle effuses, I cringe for five minutes as they reattach the nail wishing they were in the bathroom!


“There, perfect. Are we ready to order?” The waitress smiles. 


She leans in again. “I have never been here before, came into town especially for…”


“You came into town just to see me? I am honoured!”


“He gets the best seats in the nicest places!” A voice I have not heard in a long time chills me to my bones. I check on Joelle, she is deep inside the menu, leaning back in my seat, I risk a look, sadly I am not wrong, two tables down is my ex!


“What do you recommend?” Joelle gets my focus back on her.


I smile then check the menu and sigh. “There doesn’t appear to be a lot of food choices…”


“Darling, I am so sorry I am late, been waiting long?” For the second time this evening I freeze; for now sharing my ex’s table, is the person who called my ex in the first place, Emmett Honeycutt! I am grateful for the foliage between the tables, which means he can only see Joelle, as he is on the same side as her. 


“G? Are you alright?” Joelle asks.


“Yes, just thinking, please continue.” I return.


“This is a cocktail bar.” The waitress smiles. “There are plenty of good romantic restaurants around here, if you would like a recommendation?”


“We would…” I begin.


“Or we could go to my hotel after this?” Joelle suggests. “Look, can you give us a few minutes?” The waitress nods, again Joelle leans in “I checked it out briefly, seems like it has a nice looking place.”


“I like the way you think.” I smirk and drain my glass. “It’s so nice to have someone who is not judgemental or a drama queen. You know I am a little hungrier than I thought, shall we go to your hotel now? I am sure they have cocktails on their menu.” I try to keep the gabbling down. 


“Oh okay then. Let me get the waitress.” She looks over her shoulder. “Oh darling, can we have the bill please?!” Which of course has everyone staring in our direction. “Oops, sorry didn’t mean to shout.” She giggles and instantly I forgive her for she has a lovely giggle!


“Hey Ems!” Someone trills and I do wish the waitress would hurry up, but at least he has more people to keep his attention. “He won’t be long, you know how him and...oh my God! It can’t be?!”


“Blake! Shssh!” Honeycutt demands, finally he shows some common sense! “So where is…”


“No seriously look!” Blake orders.


“Oh alright, if it gets you quiet! Where am I...sweet Mary and Joseph!” He gasps.


“See!” Blake squeals and I crane my neck to see what is happening, then sigh crossly.


“What’s wrong G?” Joelle scans my face.


“The Mayor-Elect and his First Man are by the hostess stand…” I growl, after she turns around, her hand flies to her mouth. “...yes. They are doing that!” I snipe as they eat each other’s faces!


JUSTIN


“Brian…” I moan as his hands slide down the back of my pants, I am thankful for the long Prada coat he insisted I buy. I am struggling to not squirm, now I know why he wanted me to go commando. “...stop it! I need to go play with Ems and Blake!”


“I know but this is my play time, thus guaranteeing, you won’t play too long!” He whispers against my mouth; I nip his bottom lip then his chin. “I bought you something. Once you’ve finished check your pocket, after not before, promise?”


I get on my tiptoes and husk in his ear. “I promise. Now hands out and pants done up!” He takes his time making me decent before with one more swift kiss he is gone. I take a couple of deep breaths to gather myself then turn around. “Hi, I am joining the Honeycutt table.” I tell the hostess but her attention is not on me, it is on the window, Brian is just staring at me. 


“If only I could get anyone, even my cat, to look at me the way he is looking at you right now. I would be so happy.” She murmurs.


“Get going.” He mouths before tapping his watch; he waves before sauntering out of sight.


“Mr Taylor-Kinney, it’s this way sir.” The hostess prompts and I follow her to the table.


“Baby!” Ems exclaims engulfing me in a hug. “You are not going to believe who is here, but first I need you to meet a dear friend of mine. This is Judith. Judith, this is Justin, also known as the First Man.” My smile dies as I look at Vance’s ex wife. “Now, honey, don’t scowl, there is a reason.”


“What is it?” I snipe, I am not the only one surprised when he pulls me to a corner.


“As you know she’s Joelle’s sister. And when you told me what you told me and Zee showed me what she showed me. However, let’s get him gone first then I will explain further, please Baby?”


“Only because it’s you.” I huff. 


“Thank you.” He leads me back to the table, where Judith is looking confused. “So as I  was saying before, this is Judith. And Judith this is the First Man, also known as the deviant according to your ex. Heard that word before to describe someone you love?”


“Yes.” She sighs. “My brother. Joe. Gardner, really didn’t approve of his lifestyle but I had no problem with it, it made Joe, Joe. But when he told Gardner that he no longer wanted to associate with us, I couldn’t understand it and was devastated. So were our folks. We still are.” She takes a sip of wine before fiddling with the stem. “And after Gardner told us what he did...”


“And what did he say he did?” I ask as  my temper begins to rise again.


“I still don’t believe it. Joe would never do that kind of thing, he’s too careful.”


“What kind of thing?” I moderate my tone when Blake glowers at me.


“Dogging.” She winces. “He said that he’d been dogging and was going to put it all over the web unfiltered. Said he told him he wasn’t afraid of his predilections, but knew how much we valued our family name, the only way to stop him was to pay. Gardner said he would take care of it and after that day we never saw Joe again.”


I look at her, there are tears in her eyes. I reach across and take her hand. “Judith, Gardner is a liar and I suspect a thief. Joe is as much into dogging as I am into women!” This at least raises a smile. “And I am guessing that he spun a yarn to Joelle to get him to run.” Ems nods. 


“Run? What do you mean run?” Judith frowns.


“Come this side and keep quiet.” Ems orders, her eyes widen and she claps her hand over her mouth to at least muffle the scream a bit. “Doesn’t he look great?! Same thing can’t be said about his date!”


“His date?” She whispers just staring at Joe.


“Mmm. Take a standing peek.” He instructs, after she does she sits down slowly. “So want to ask your ex what he’s doing on a date with your brother?” 


JOELLE


“I can’t understand what is taking so long with the bill.” I look around but the waitress is nowhere to be found. “Let me go and…” 


“Hello.” I goggle at Judith. “Gardner, what are you doing here with her?”


“Judith. What I am doing is none of your business and....”


“It is when you are dining with my brother, who you said was a deviant dogger! Who wanted to tarnish the family name by putting that video over the internet!”


Slowly I turn back to him. “Dogging?” I snap in my normal voice, his jaw drops. “How did you connect being a transvestite with dogging?!”


“Joe?!” He gasps going pale.


“Yep. Judith, I would never do that or hurt the family. He said that you guys wanted nothing to do with me, wanted me gone, he brought in a couple of heavies to make sure I left! They followed me out of the state!” 


“Okay, first, go sit over there, we need to call mom and dad. Second, you Gardner, keep the apartment, I don’t care about that now. He’s my brother, and you destroyed part of his life! And ours! There will be only one name that is ‘destroyed and tarnished’, weren’t those your exact words all those years ago...!”


“What can you do?!” Gardner sneers. “Your empty threats don’t scare me. But thank you for saying I can keep the apartment, not that you had a fucking chance of getting it in the first place!” He throws down his napkin and strides around the table, with one more look of disgust starts to walk out. 


“Uh sir the bill!” The waitress calls out.


“He’s paying. And will be in more ways than one!” He snaps before slamming the door behind him.


“You know a girl does get sick and tired of packing and having nobody to shoot!” A pretty woman strides towards us, she inspects his glass carefully. “Yep, that’s in.” 


“Zaden, what are you doing here?” Judith asks. “And what’s in?”


“Who’s Zaden, how do you know her and why is she packing?” I demand.


“Zaden is looking into Gardner’s finances and she’s also the head of Stark Securities. The security firm.” Judith explains. “I am so sorry Joe, I really am, he was so convincing!” 


“My friends call me Zee. So you two call me Zee okay?” We both nod.


“He’s in advertising, of course he’s convincing!” Justin strokes Judith’s arm. “So Zee, why are you tracking him?” 

 

“Because Ems found out he knows Gary Sapperstein…” Justin’s eyes go huge. “...and we want to see if he goes to visit him in prison.”

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.