- Text Size +

CHAPTER 38 - THE BIG REVEAL...AND HOW THREE WASPS, TWO COOTS AND A PROBIE FINALLY GOT RID


NANCY AND MARCEL’S RESIDENCE - TWO DAYS LATER


KITCHEN


MARCEL


“You have nothing to say to me?! Nothing?!” Nancy shrieks. “Not even sorry?!”


“But I am not sorry.” I scoff. “Did you really think that I would be with you if there wasn’t something in it for me?! You are the complete opposite of me in every way. I guess it was nice for a few months, but then I got bored.”


“Bored?!” 


“Yes, Nancy, bored. You have connections, which allowed me to get me to where I want to be, with Olivia. It would’ve been better if that press conference ruse of yours and Lindsey's worked out, but it didn’t, which is why she wants me to come home.” I pick up my duffel bag. “So I am honouring her now, especially as she’s pregnant. With the money we’ve accumulated over the years, we’ve got quite the nest egg, and…”


“Pregnant? But you are my…”


“Nancy, stop this. That voice is one of the reasons it needs to end. You can portray me as the bad guy, which I am, but just leave Olivia alone. A pregnancy is very stressful at the best of times. Having some dried up old husk scavenging for you is not helpful…” I step right up to her. “...and anything that happens to them, I will know where to come first. You forget how much I know about your modus operandi.”


“Modus…”


I am out the door before she can finish. I inhale the scent of freedom, before heading up the street. “Hi there, how you doing?”


“You owe me big!” I grumble as we fall into step.


“Uh, no, nobody said sleep with! You took and did that all by yourself!” He opens the car door with a smile. “Let’s go and explain.”


BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


MILLIE


“Ems, why is Marcel here?” I whisper, but he doesn't reply.


“Okay, so everyone please let me speak, then you can ask questions after. This is Marcel Denham.” Ems looks very nervous. “Some of you know him as Nancy’s now ex boyfriend, but we three, as in Leda, Mel and I, know him as a good friend, and...” 


“And he’s in our house why?” Brian growls.


“I met him in a bar about three years ago. He was lamenting his life choices, one of which was reconnecting with an old girlfriend, so we got to talking…”


“Babe, get to present day, please!” Drew paces.


“No names, no pack drill, so I thought nothing of it when he started to carp about said girlfriend during the times we would meet up…” Leda also looks nervous. “I really liked him, so introduced him to Mel, but it wasn’t until we saw him with the girlfriend that we realised who he was talking about. And…”


“After we got to chatting, they had told me to straight up, leave to go live my life, but when we all realised that it was who the girlfriend was, I couldn’t reconcile who said they were....” Marcel swallows hard. “...both Lindsay and Nancy had told me all about everyone, how they had turned Gus against Lindsay.” He breathes deep. “The days, nights, and weeks she, sometimes they, would assassinate your characters. Lindsay, especially, painted Mel like the devil incarnate, and Leda as this homewrecking hussy. Lindsay is very bitter...”


“No shit…”


“Zee.” Ems chastises.


“Nu-uh. What, in your opinion, is she bitter about?” Zee’s look at Ems could curdle milk!


“Them.” He points at Mel and Brian. “Them being parents to Gus, because she knew deep down that it would stop, because he would make them stop.”


“Itching!” Faal spits.


“The fighting. Gus is the one person that could make you two stop!” Drew exclaims. “Brian and Mel, he could always get you to stop. Lindsay would soothe, placate, but revisit the fight another day; but if Gus said stop, you’d stop, never another word was said. Do you know when was the last time you two had a row?”


“When she wanted to give up her rights.” Faal’s eyes blaze. “She knew Mel or you would sacrifice anything for Gus, she just had to play it right, but she got fucked over instead!”


We contemplate this in silence for a few minutes. “So I can't shoot him?” Zee asks as she holsters her gun.


“No!” Ems declares. “Though that being said, you had them both!” Everyone looks revolted.


“No I didn’t! Okay, I did at first.” Marcel snickers. “But my dick has not been near either of them ever since I was apprised of the situation.”


“How?” Zee picks up her glass, Marcel relaxes some more.


“They are very selfish bedmates, but at least I didn't use the same dildo.”


“Dildo?” I blench, before spotting Jennifer’s ‘Kinney lip roll’ as she tries to suppress her giggles. “Jennifer! Faal! Stop it you lot!” I scold, but it is too late. We, especially Mel, are all howling with laughter. 


“Wait…” Justin wipes his eyes. “...are you seriously saying that you pretended to do the pair of them? How did they not notice that?!”


“Yep.” Marcel chuckles. “Made the right moves and noises. It got easier as they bored on and on. Nancy just wanted her golden girl back, Lindsay wanted her picket fence life, with Justin in her pocket, but only if he was in New York, or anywhere else, not being a distraction. She could not get past what everyone saw.” 


“Them. They saw them.” I sigh. “Think about Obama. Do you really think he would’ve been elected without Michelle? Justin, you are Brian’s Michelle. Anytime she is in the room, he looks to her. You do the same, you both do. You gain strength from each other, and that’s ultimately why she sought to separate you, because you are stronger together.”


“So she will reconnect with Lindsay, as they say misery loves company.” Marcel rolls his eyes. “Then she will use her vicious energy looking for Olivia, whose life she will try and make a misery…”


“Who’s Olivia?” Jennifer frowns.


“Me, well partly.” Mel replies. “The more we got to know Marcel, the more we liked him, and he put us in touch with the clinic in London, where I had the treatment. So, two announcements: meet the godfather…” She points at Marcel, “...and in a few months, Olivier.” She points at her tummy. 


“Hold up!” Carl gasps. “You’re having a boy?!” 


“Yes. As gender reveals, not the most conventional, but Bubble 2 is a boy!” Leda declares, it takes seconds for the room to erupt with cheers and tears.


“Thank fuck for that! We were feeling outnumbered!” Brian guffaws before handing Justin tissues. “That being said, can’t wait for them to get back!”


“You too? Oh, where’s the pot? Who had boy?” Faal asks, and I triumphantly put up my hand. “Well done, Mills, your first win!” 


“I have another coming!” I smile.


KITCHEN - HALF AN HOUR LATER


ZEE


I am checking on the wings and waffles, which are perfectly cooked and rested, when a cough has me turning. “It is a newly laid floor, you’re safe.” I tell a nervy looking Marcel as he steps in. “Yes, rich they are, but this marble costs a freaking fortune. Thank you for what you did for Mel and Leda. So what are you going to do now, and how did Lindsay get wind of you?”


”I will go back to London. As for Lindsay, Nancy and I visited her in prison a couple of times. Once she was out and back, she headed straight for me.”


“So, two things: one, what did she say about me; and two, how many times was she dildo’d?”


“We only slept together once, the dildo twice, and I would really prefer not to answer the first question.” 


“What a gent! Grab those and let’s get these folks fed!” 


LOUNGE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


FAAL


“Lig, these are the best!” I put two more wings on my plate. I smile as Brian takes four, then waits for Justin to inspect them. “Justin, he wants to eat!” I chide him.


“Sorry! This one and this one.” He blushes before tackling the waffle. “So scrummy! This has certainly turned out to be an interesting day! Wonder how the Bruckner-Smart and Cameron-Phelps are…” He drops the waffle. “...when did you tell them?” 


“Gus, Jenny, and Taylor? Last night. We had to tell them first, you understand?” A bashful Leda pleads.


“Of course we do!” Justin starts beaming at Brian, when the arrival of Lila and Milo has him shredding the wings Justin chose, then putting it on their plates. It takes them less than two minutes to gobble them up.


Brian chuckles. “I think she gets louder with each…” 


“Oh, for heaven...calm-calm, an oasis of calm.” Millie grumbles as she looks at her watch.


“Millie?” Debs touches her arm. “Millie, are you okay?”


“Yes, of course.” She smiles as her phone beeps. “Excuse me, all, I just need to speak to Alice. Won’t be long, she’s in the cottage, right, Justin?” Millie waits whilst Brian feeds Justin the last of the waffle. “Could you nod or raise a hand?” He raises his hand. “Thank you. You two, after all these years.” She laughs over her shoulder as she leaves. True to her word, she’s back within ten minutes with a piece of paper, which she hands to Jennifer. 


“Finally! I am so looking forward to serving this dish.” Jennifer puts it in her purse.


“What do we do now?”  Blake wipes the side of Ted’s mouth. “I mean, apart from fall into a food coma?!” 


“Just enjoy the rest of the day.” Millie smirks.


LINDSAY


I adjust my coat and take calming breaths. Having been frequenting the club over the last few days, oh how good it felt to be back in the bosom of my people, I overheard from a gossiping Millicent that Mel was going to be here. So I am on full abject apology, whatever you want I will do, and charm offensive in order for my plan to play out. She is the lynchpin I need in the first instance, then I can get back to separating Brian and Justin after that. I don’t care how long it takes, I will get back the status quo. I paste a smile on my face and ring the doorbell. 


“Just coming!” Alice calls out. When she opens the door, her face falls. “What are you doing here?!”


“I would like to speak to Brian. May I come in?”


“The Masters of the House are not here, so you may not.”


“Oh, are they at the Treehouse?” I query.


“Location is none of your concern. Kindly leave the premises.” Alice sneers. 


“I see Mel’s car. She was going to be my next stop. I know, I have to...to say sorry.”


“What for? I know there’s a long list.” 


“Alice…” 


“Hello, Ms Peterson.” 


I turn to a very haughty voice. “Hello?”


“Nice to finally catch up with you.” This woman is frosty to say the least!


“And you are?” I match her tone.


“Your parole officer.” 


“My parole officer? I don’t have one. I am a free woman!” 


“Caroline Speck is my name, and all early released prisoners have a parole officer. One that they should check in with once a month, in the city of the prison they were released from, which in your case is New York. You gave a Yonkers address as a point of contact, and a phone number that either doesn’t work, or you wrote it down wrong. Either way, you should’ve been in contact.”


“Yes, but then I needed to…”


“Go to South Africa for a few weeks? Considering you were not supposed to travel overseas without clearance from your parole officer, again me, I assume you spoke to someone to get permission for that?”


“My Mother sorted out that for me…”


“She was not the prisoner, you were! So that makes it your responsibility!” 


“I was visiting my father, who was...”


“On his honeymoon.” She interrupts. “He arrived after you, which you did in a private plane. You also worked during that time. All income has to be notified. What were you doing?”


“I was, um, a facilitator at a hotel, and…”


“Fancy ass word for cleaner I suspect!” Alice scoffs. 


“Uhm, thank you, and you are the owner of this residence?”


“No, I am their housekeeper, Alice. This is owned by Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney.”


“Thank you, Alice, and nice to meet you. Back to the South Africa trip, you left within three days of being released, and then…” She sighs. “...there was the press conference…”


“What press conference?” I wipe my clammy hands on my coat.


“The one you held in an attempt to...sorry, Alice, did you say Brian and Justin-Taylor Kinney? As in the Mayor Elect and First man of Pittsburgh? This is their home?”


“Yes, I did.” Alice repeats with a reptilian like smile.


“Alice, please call the police.” 


“The police? What for?! I can visit the father of my son...”


“She doesn't have a son. He got emancipated from her.” Alice interrupts. “As for the police, one second! Carl, can you come out here, please?!”


“Alice, what is going on?” Carl demands, striding into view, followed by the rest of the occupants of the house!


“Oh, you are?” 


“Detective Carl Horvath of the 57th Precinct. I can have her escorted...”


“To New York? That won't be necessary. I’ve already got transportation for that, but if you could get her to, was it the 57th, you said you represent?”


“Yes, but…” 


“Escorted to New York?! What for?!” I exclaim.


“Violation of your parole terms.”


CAROLINE


I pull out a photo. “Detective Horvath, please can you confirm if you recognise the person in this picture?” He scrutinises it carefully. “Do you?”


“Yes, that person is Lindsay Peterson.” He hands it back.


“Thank you. You are also under arrest for violating the restraining order, put in place by Jennifer Taylor, prohibiting you from being on any property that she, her son, or his husband, Brian Taylor-Kinney, own or their family inhabit.” I look down the driveway at the sound of sirens. “That was quick!”


“My friend took the liberty. My name is Jennifer Taylor.” A woman steps forward smiling. “So now what happens?”


“What restraining orders?!” Peterson yammers.


“The ones that were sent to your last known address in New York. I feared that you would be ‘yourself’, so put in safety measures, but never thought you would. When I saw you at the press conference, then outside my home, I had to do all I could to protect my sons.”


JENNIFER


“Ah, Ms Taylor, I am thankful to you for alerting the New York City Probation Department to her location. As for what happens, as i said, she’s under arrest. For the flagrant violation of her probation terms, she will be put back in prison, and any sensible judge will order the rest of her term to be served out. Then she will start whatever she gets for the violation of the restraining order.”


“What?! No! I never received any restraining orders!” Lindsay shouts as she is cuffed and dragged to a police car. 


“So, realistically what are we looking at?” Millie asks.


“Well, she had another two years to be served. As for this, she could get another 3 on top of that. Again, thank you, Ms Taylor.” 


“No, thank you for coming so quickly.” I smile.


“Time to get this little madam tucked up in bed! Mr and Mr Taylor-Kinney, if I could make a suggestion, step up your security here. This could’ve ended badly.”


“We will. Thank you.” Justin stammers. 


I wait for the driveway to clear before turning back to all but three stunned members of our family. “Let’s get the champagne out, shall we?”


LOUNGE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Mom! Explain!” I demand.


“It was that. Two years ago, it was the first time you called me that.” I hand him a glass.


“What?”


“Mom. You always called Debs, Ma, but me, I was always Mother Taylor. You were holding MJ in the kitchen, and you said ‘Mom, can you hold her whilst I get the burp rag? My twit of a husband has washed them all, but didn’t think to bring down another pack.’ I remember trying not to cry as I took her in my arms, and you muttering your way upstairs to get it.” 


“But how did we get to restraining orders?!” Ted has finally picked his jaw off the floor.


“When I overheard Nancy chirruping about how Lindsay was coming back from her ‘sabbatical’ early, I put plans in place with help from a friend. Melody sends her love by the way. So, we got the papers written up in time for her release...rather conveniently her attorney friend knew Lindsey's attorney, so it was just a matter of finding out where they had to be delivered to.”


“Security. How were they stood down?” Zee demands.


“That wasn’t you?!” I gape at her.


“No, I didn’t know about any of this!” Zee protests, then looks at Faal, he shakes his head.


“George?” I ask slowly, my throat closing as I begin to realise what they’ve helped them to do. “What’s the name of your niece who lives in New York?”


“Caz.” George grins at Alice as she comes in with a couple more bottles. 


“Which is short for Caroline. Didn’t she follow her father into the police force and met the love of her life there? Surname Speck?” George nods, and I give way to my tears whilst throwing  my arms around him.


“Brian!” Justin gasps. “What’s happened, what’s wrong?! One second, Mom, did you get her to screw herself over?! And you’ve had this plan in place for two years?!”


“Actually, from the moment she was sentenced. I learned from Zee to play the long game, but to play it quietly, and the least people that know the better. And besides, Zee, this pays you back for not letting me help with Squireel Hill!” 


“So she’s gone? There’s no coming back from this?!” I pull a relieved, but teary eyed Justin into my embrace


“Not for at least five years.” Mills grins.


“And by that time, maybe she will have learned to read by then!” Justin beams up at me.


“Lig, will you have someone watch over her again?”

 

“No, Faal, she is on her own.” She smiles before sobering a little. “So that just leaves Vance to watch over.”

Chapter End Notes:

If reveiwing, please be kind and constructie. Thx