- Text Size +

CHAPTER 42 - EAR TO THE GROUND, EYES ON THE PRIZE


SCI ALBION BREAK ROOM


LUTHER


“It’s nice to see a familiar face, but why are you back?” I smile as he sits down.


“Jesus, does anything get past you?” He gets comfortable. “Officially, the name is Laan Shipman, in for assault with a deadly weapon. Unofficially, you can call me Tank.” 


“Okay, Tank it is. And yeah, some things do, but you, you don’t. What’s going on?”


“Raymond Park, he worked for Sapperstein pre-posse days for Justin. Needed as a friendly face, you know to reel them in…”


“Ah yes, the ‘ripe for skewering’ guy, or something like that? What’s with pre-posse for Justin?” I don’t react as he tells me everything he knows, but all the while thinking can this couple not get a fucking break?! 


“There is a video, which should be cleaned up today, but I want to ask you something. I know it’s a long shot, but do you know of a Gardner Vance?”


“Brian’s old boss, yeah, why?”


“I mean outside of his dealings with Zaden.”


“Okay, whilst I was being a douche, I did my DD on Brian, Justin not so much. Never had him down as a cokehead, but if that’s your jam, have the sandwich.”


“Cokehead?” Tank stops me from doodling. “Luther, explain.”


Now there are many things in life that I don’t allow, but the tone of Tank’s voice, means I ‘let the touch go’. “Vance’s been on it for years. Think being inside cleaned him up a bit…” I sit back and contemplate what I have long suspected. “....you know, I did think...nah, couldn’t be.”


“We’re spitting in the dark in gale force winds, what is it?” Tank demands.


“Nice analogy. I think he’s gay and he’s got a boner for Justin.” Tank’s jaw drops. “Why would you as a straight man go to the parties that Sapperstein held? Drugs aside, you…you okay?”


“He went to…”


“At least three. Saw him in the crowd.”


“How?” Tank sounds like he wants to vomit.


“Not me. Park saw him, mentioned it after the skewering comment.” Tank inhales sharply. “I take it we’re going to the Warden’s office, and my daughter is gonna bust my ass?”


“Not the daughter, the Pitbull!”


QUBE HOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON 


KITCHEN


MEL


I rub my belly as I add seasonings to the soup, then chuckle at the low roar of Faal’s Spyder, which is on its last legs. I groan at the rubbing of my back before leaning into the embrace of the one person I never thought I would accept...Brian. 


“Should you be up and doing what you’re doing?” He asks whilst cradling our bump.


“Would you believe my answer?” I sigh.


“Nope, so that’s why you are going to sit in the nook and yell instructions.” He declares, and walks me to the sofa. 


“I’m onto you, Kinney!”


“Taylor-Kinney!” He corrects, then heads to the stove. He lights up when he tastes the soup. “I think sourdough would be good.”


“Hmm.” I reply from the nest he’s tucked me into.


“And crispy basil.” 


“Yeah, that does sound good…” I murmur.


BRIAN


I pull out another blanket and cover her up. She is fast asleep. I had already prepared for her Mel-ness. She is so stubborn, but with Lindsay out of our way, I realise how much I love her. And to be honest, I think I always did, but with Lindsay and Michael spieling their shit, I never saw the true Mel. What she was willing to do for Gus, was the first insight. 


“She out?” Daph whispers as she comes in.


“Yep. You need to remove the heat pads.”


“On it.” Justin declares, managing to do it without waking her up. “She looks radiant.”


“It’s so annoying.” Daph gripes as she pours us wine. “I spent my last trimester with a mass of acne, all day hot flashes, and night sweats plus I put on 20 pounds!”


I’m about to apologise again when the reason for her weight gain toddles in, not remotely looking like how we left her. “Am here, Poppitydaddy!”


“How are you like this?” Justin gasps as we take in our daughter, who is covered head to toe in mud. 


“Wheelies. Unc Faa did wheelies, fun!” She tries to wipe some of the mud off. “AnZay said fuck, what is fuck?”


“Something that Unc Faa will not be doing for a while.” Zee declares as she comes in. She too looks a mess. “I think me and this little lady need a nice long shower.”


“Where’s DJ?” I ask, as generally if there’s one the other isn’t too far behind.


“With her grandparents. Smart girl. I am going to leave my phone here, expecting a call from the videographer and Albion.” She scoops up MJ. “I would appreciate it if you could let me get upstairs before you start laughing. And if Faal comes looking for me, tell him it’s best that he doesn’t.”


“Lig…”


“Oh no, do not.”


“I’m sorry! I didn’t realise you were in the path of the blow back, but at least we cleared the clod out.” Faal looks so helpless, but he is on his own with this. Everyone has been saying just bin it, even Steve, and he doesn’t drive! “What can I do to make this better?”


“Really, you are asking me this now?!” Zee keeps the snarling to a minimum.


“Zaden, why don’t you, me, MJ and Daph go upstairs and have that shower. Then we can work on…”


“Justin, sweetie, this is a vintage, one-of-a-kind silk shirt. I was wearing Gucci, NARS, and YSL make up. There is no salvaging any of  it. Daph and I will go and sort out the muckiness whilst you ahd Brian explain to my husband why having his dilapidated near knackered Spyder brought here without telling me was a bad idea! And said idea is the reason that he is sleeping in the shed tonight!”


 “The shed, really? You don’t think that’s a bit much?” Faal protests.


“No it isn’t. Go and get your PJs!” I order, before turning him around and marching him to their room.


THE SHED - LATE EVENING


FAAL


I punch the cushions to try to get comfortable, but I miss her. Whilst she has every right to be angry, as I didn’t help matters by laughing as the grease sprayed out from the exhaust; I think that Brian taking my phone so I don’t know what is happening ‘them’ wise was a step too far. 


“No, enough of this shit!” I decide. “This is…”


“Slow your roll, idiot.” Zee states from behind the mattress she is pushing through the door. “Get up.” I do as I’m told, but say nothing as she makes the shed a sleep sanctuary. She even brought pillows and wine with her! “Okay, you need to bounce.”


I roll along the mattress and feel nothing. “It passes the Prince and the Pea test.” I reach up to her and she wraps herself around me. “I’m truly sorry, but you got me this. I don’t want…”


“I can get you another. This doesn’t matter. I can…no, Faal, listen. I appreciate the sentimental value it has for you, but you not telling me hurt, like…”


“Those people being let into your home?” I pull her closer.


“Mmmm.” She grabs the wine. “One glass or two?” 


“One.” I reply whilst holding the glass and she pours. “Can you catch me up?”


“It was Novotny on film…” The relief washes over me. “...and there's been a shift in Brutus’s relationship with Vance.”


“How so?”


“He wanted to let him drive to the door.” I stop her from sipping. “Which means one of two things: either he trusts him more, or…”


“...he doesn’t. What does Brutus think?”


“That it was a trick, so he refused. Said he would rather stick to the routine they had, out of respect for his privacy.”


“So he passed? Good. Two things: one, where is my phone; and two, where is Shorty?” I demand, before ducking down for a kiss after as she hands it to me. “Answers one not the other.”


“Dad only hires the best. Brutus thought something was off, especially when Vance asked about Shorty, told him he left the company. Sure enough Vance called to check.”


“Interesting, wonder what he’s up to?” I lean back against the pillows and we slip into silence.


“Brutus is just keeping his boy safe, so he's now in Burbank. As for Bell and Vance, will soon find out. Brian and Justin are releasing a statement, tomorrow, remember?”


“Personally, I don’t think that will work.” I scowl.


“Oh, it will, it just depends on who.” She looks smug before handing me her phone, I read in incredulous silence. “You just need to know which buttons to push.”


VANCE’S HOME - NEXT MORNING


LOUNGE


VANCE


I’ve torn this place apart, but I can’t find it! Taking yet another calming snort, I try to think back to where I last had it, and why I bought it back here in the first place! Of all the stupid things to do, I should’ve just left the glass at the prison. I wait for the hit to take, then turn the TV on. I can look for it once I’m slightly more relaxed.


“As my husband and I have said, there have been things in my past that I am not proud of, I was a go-go boy, I was in a street gang, I did drugs and slept around, both with and without my now husband. I made those decisions, he didn’t, so he shouldn’t be judged on my behaviour. And for those people seeking to capitalise on my past, try to remember or google who you’re going to be coming up against. So let me tell you to come ahead and see what happens. And now, I will hand over to my husband....”


“What the hell is happening?!” I mutter whilst turning up the volume.


“As The First Man has stated, he made those decisions. There is one more thing. During his time as a go-go boy, Justin made a decision to secure himself the job. At the time, he wasn’t aware that he was being watched by Novotny, nor of the other side of the then owner, Gary Sapperstein. We found evidence of this, and it has been handed to the relevant authorities. All people in those videos will be contacted within the next two days to explain their presence…but right now; my husband and I can no longer speak on this.” 


I shut the TV down and try to calm my breathing. “I need to get out of here!” I declare and rush to pack an overnight bag. I desperately try to think of where to go, but know that I need to make a move very soon. 


As I head to the safe, I am sure of one thing; I will have Justin and you will watch before I kill you! You will never take office!


HOME OF IGGY WOOLLEY - LATE AFTERNOON


ZEUS


Finally, a break. I dial a number, putting her on speaker. “Guess who we found?”


“Cody Bell?” She sounds almost desperate.


“Yep, in the home of one Iggy Woolley. Ah-ah-ah wait, Zee, he is here because Sapperstein told him to go to him.”


“Why?” I can almost hear her scratching her head.


“So that the other information could be made public!” Bell shouts. “He said if something happened to him, then to go to him!” He jerks his head at Woolley.


“What other information?” Faal demands.


“About the parties he would host! There’s a list in there of every attendee for the last fifteen years.  He said that he would know who to give it to.”


“Show me!” I order, dumping the box in his lap.


“The notebook.” He slumps in his seat. “I was just supposed to place it in a nook in Babylon, but there were already people there, so I bailed and we rearranged to meet here.”


Iggy had been silent all this time. It is just the three of us in the room, his operation is very much a one-man-job. “How do I avoid prison?” 


“Why would you be going to jail?” Faal’s tone is soft, deceptively so. “Who would you give this to?” 


“And what’s this doing in here?” I pick up a glass.


“Don’t know, it just was.” Bell responds. “It stinks.” 


“As for who, I just had an address. It’s on my phone. Code is 1827.” I unlock it and scroll through the contacts until he says stop. “Not lying. As for that, he left it, not sure why he brought it when he didn’t use it.”


“Who did?” Faal growls, I know he wants to be here really badly.


“My newest customer, said his name was Graham Phillips. I don’t have that many, so I recognised him. Real name is Gardner Vance.”


“What did he leave?!” Zee exclaims.


“A glass.”


“Go to the lab with it now!” Faal orders. “And how did you recognise him?”

 

“Been supplying Sapperstein, and only him, for years. He was at a party, and had a thing for blondes. Didn’t participate, just watched.”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive, thanks.