- Text Size +

CHAPTER 45 - YOU SO STOOPID


TACONIC CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, NEW YORK - 4 WEEKS LATER


OUTSIDE THE WARDEN’S OFFICE


LINDSAY


Thankfully, we weren’t transferred back to my old prison. Nobody knows about us here. Over the last few weeks, Mother and I made steps to repair our relationship, primarily as she realised I was right. She has kept close and quiet now that the rest of the ‘ladies’ have made it clear that her continued haughtiness was not acceptable. We now share a cell. At first I was horrified, but now it affords us the privacy to deride them with no come back.


She was most put out though when I was told I’ve got to see the Warden, as I have a very important visitor.


“Peterson, you may go in now.” The guard tells me. 


I smile as I enter. “Good afternoon, Warden.”


“Peterson. Have a seat. Your guest is just getting refreshed, they won’t be long.” She advises. “And they can explain, better than I, your presence here.”


She sits back behind her desk and carries on with her paperwork. For what seems like half an hour, the only sound is the tapping of her keyboard; then the door is knocked upon. I stand up, but then sit down in shock, for smirking at me is Adam White!


“Ms Peterson, we meet again. Long time no see.” He sits opposite, then opens his case. “I trust the prison system is treating you well?”


“As could be expected.” I mutter. “Why are you here?”


“I’m representing Justin Taylor-Kinney plus others. We made a mistake when he asked me to appropriate the support money that he paid in respect of Gus Marcus Taylor-Kinney, that should not have been done…”


“Really?” I smile. “And you’re here to return my money, which, let’s face it, he stole.”


“Careful, Ms Peterson, all of us here present know that the only person who has been proven to be a thief is you.” The Warden bites out before going back to tapping.


“Thank you, Warden. No, I’m here for the balance.”


“Balance, what do you mean balance?” I start to feel queasy.


“Yes, I failed to factor in the actual age that your former son was when Justin Taylor-Kinney first started paying support. He was a lot younger than I thought, so this is the bill request, approved by the court, payable within 30 days.” 


I take the paper and almost faint. “One hundred and fifty thousand dollars?! Where am I supposed to find that?!”


“You have some cash left from the money that your mother and her former boyfriend sent you. One hundred and seventy thousand dollars is the total remaining. And although he was surprised by your generosity, he doesn’t want it, so he will be selling it.”


“Who? Selling what, and how do you know about my money?!”


“Your apartment. Surely, you don’t have a problem with your former son selling the property you put in his birth name, or were you trying to hide behind him and keep the place to yourself for when you get out of here?” I don’t say a word. “That’s what I thought. So could you sign these papers, giving him permission to sell the apartment now, as opposed to when he is 30?”


“Thirty!” The Warden gasps. “How old is he now?”


“Eighteen.”  He replies, and slides the papers across. “Sign.”


I manage to keep my hand steady as I do so. “So how much do I have left?”


“Left? What do you mean, left? Whatever, he gets for the sale stays with him, and then there’s the court fees; so, let me see here…” He taps on a suddenly produced calculator. “...oh, well, isn’t that ironic?”


“What?” The Warden comes over and gasps.


“You have exactly what you, if you are honest, wanted Brian and Justin to have...nothing.”


“Meaning?” I can’t keep the tremor out of my voice.


“Well, you need to find the court fees then somewhere to live that is not in the greater Pennsylvania area once you’re released because of the restraining orders.”


“Zaden is afraid so much of little ole me that she’s had the restraining orders put…”


“She is not, and will never be afraid of you.” Adam interrupts. “The protective...sorry, super-protective order, has been obtained by Brian Taylor-Kinney against you and your Mother in respect of Justin Taylor-Kinney, also known as the First Man, and also in respect of their son, Gus Marcus Taylor-Kinney. Put plainly, if you return to Pittsburgh and attempt to contact them in any shape, way or form, you will be, if you’re lucky, detained…”


“And if she’s not?” The Warden asks.


“Shot on sight.” He checks the papers before putting them away. “Take heed, Peterson, do your time and leave them alone. You’ve lost. Just remember what happened to his former best friend and that ill thought out press conference.”


I stand up and adjust my collar. “I shall take that under advisement and have…”


“If you’re about to say your attorney contact me then don’t, at least not yet.” Adam interrupts again. “I have more news to impart. Due to your premeditated informing of their dalliance, singular, in the athletics room. Which…”


“Oh for goodness sake!” I snap. “I am not responsible for him beating Justin!”


“But you are responsible for what led to the beating and destruction of property of one Christopher Hobbs.”


“Him? Why?” I sit back down. 


“Because he’s asked us, as in White & Sullivan to represent him and the First Man in their case against you for failure to protect. In the society you lived in, you had to know that it would’ve had consequences. Whilst the term, like breach of promise, is archaic, the ability to charge you with it is not.” 


“But, he’s a grown man and…”


“But like I said, we’ve got time for that. I really wanted this but my partner said they wanted it so bad they could taste blood.” 


“Sullivan is…”


“No. Melanie Marcus. She’s going to be trying you, once she’s back from maternity leave. So in about eight or nine months, you will be facing another trial. Ladies, I wish you a pleasant day.” 


As I head back to my cell mere minutes later, I am wishing one thing, that I had kept my big waspish mouth shut!


SCI ALBION - NEXT DAY


VISITORS ROOM


LUTHER


I chuckle as Zee rubs her lower back then presses her diaphragm, releasing an enormous burp. “God alive, I needed that! Never had such bad indigestion!” She had been looking very uncomfortable and pale when she came in, now her colour is starting to come back. “So, Archie, he’s settled in nicely. And what’s that look for?”


“You carry the same.” I smile. “Never thought I would see that.” 


“Carry what, and who am I the same as?” She frowns, once more rubbing her back.


“You and your Mom, always had back pain and indigestion for the first trimester or so. The stink eye I got!”


“Tri…” Her eyes widen then she looks down. “...are you kidding me?” She whispers. “I can’t be.” 


“Can’t be what, Lig?” Faal asks as he comes in with the copies I asked for. “Lig? You okay?”


I’m just trying to work out when…” She trails off frowning, then counting on her fingers. “...oh, then, it must have been then.” 


“What must have been then?” He looks between the two of us, before noticing how her hands are resting on her stomach. “No, you can’t be, surely not?!” He sits down quickly, gaping at her. 


“Said we carry the same. Also, I’ve had nothing but indigestion for weeks. That happened with DJ, and…” She stops when he puts his hands on top of hers. “...go bring the car around, we’re going straight there!”


LUTHER’S CELL - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


GUARD SWIFT


I tap the door and he looks up and grins. “Hey, to what do I owe this visit?”


“Nothing, just…” I stop when he leans back. “...okay, is she?”


“I think so.” His grin is huge. 


“These more cases?” I point at the papers and he nods. “What?”


“This one is gonna be tough.” He hands me a raft and I gasp.


“Joel Savakrio, the, um, Jamaican Yardie Chief, can I say that?” I shift a bit as he can get a whole lot defensive, he nods. “Let me just take this on board. You’re going to be taking on a case for Joel Savakrio, one of the most notorious Yardies in the world?”


“Well that’s the theory.” I turn slowly and just blink at Joel Savakrio. “Hey, Lute, can I sit?” Luther nods and Joel folds his frame onto the cot. “Man, she favours you.”


“Everyone says that.” He chuckles. “Can he stay?” He points at me and Joel nods.


“Look, I’ve done a lot of things, none of them good, but that I didn’t do.” He points at the papers. “They jailed me on rep, not evidence.” 


“You’ve lost me entirely.” I declare.


“I’ve never got my hands bloody. Or anybody else’s. There was no need for us to do that.” I fail to cut off my guffaw; Joel smiles as I shake my head. “So why would I beat this guy up, let alone where it happened?”


Luther frowns then reads the papers again. “Oh, you’ve just opened a whole can of hope! I will speak to someone and get the files.”


“Great!” But then he looks between me and Luther. “There’s another thing.”


But before anyone can speak, Laan Shipman comes in. “Oh, um, sorry I’ll come back.”


“Stay, methinks you and I are in here for the same reason.” Joel moves up a little and Laan sits down. “You heard what I did?” Laan nods.


“Which is?” I question.


“Park has been muttering about you not taking him on, and….”


“How the hell do I argue against DNA?!” Luther seethes. It’s been a bone of contention on the blocks that the only persons he can’t help, well couldn’t until now, are Joel Sovakrio and Raymond Park, which the latter is not happy about. I have to admit I like Luther. When he first came in here, I didn’t, but Kingsman softened him and some of the ‘new taddies’, as he calls the young felons, come to him and he listens, really listens, but makes sure that they don’t ‘thug it up’ because they think they’re the ‘new skool’.


“Pants!” He bellows as a young man shuffles past the open door. 


“Sorry, Luther, my belt is in…”


“Then go and put it back on!” He orders, whilst not moving from his seat. I poke my head out, and sure enough, the young man is holding his pants at his waistline as he scurries back to his cell. Then there is a thud and a yelp of pain. “Let me go help him.” I chuckle and walk out.


LUTHER


“So why are you two here for the same reason?”


“Park had a visitor.” Joel explains. “And that person was someone called Gardner Vance. Don’t know who he is, but I know ripped up when I see it. And then there was the way he looked at your daughter. Next time you talk to her, tell her to be wary of him being around. I didn't like it, Luther, not at all.” 


“He was here today?” I clutch my pen.


“Yes. Left soon after she and her husband did.” Joel stands up, but for a man so big, his expression is ‘small’. “Do you really think you can do something with that?” He gestures at the papers.


“Yes, I do think I can. Like I said, I need to talk to some folks.”


“Thanks, Luther.” He holds out his hand, which I shake. 


There’s a few minutes of silence after his departure. “Told you it would work.” Laan, or should I say Tank, smirks.


“Seriously, what the fuck was that guy doing for the last month?!” I grumble. “Faal was ready to put Brian in a straitjacket he was whining so much!”


“Getting his pure on.” Tank stretches out on the bed. “His last visit to Iggy, he bought triple the amount he normally does.”


“So they’re waiting for him?” 


“Each and everyone of them. The only place he can take her is to their new unguarded home.”


“Soon this will be over.” I sigh, then hand him the file. “! meant it about Joel, can you speak to someone about this?”


“Of course. And leave Park alone. Joel will handle him.  I mean it, keep your hands clean from now on. Let us deal.”


“Anything happens to her...” I warn.


“First, he has to get her, which she will allow because he thinks she’s pregnant. Then he’s going to take her to their new house, which will have the fully loaded family waiting for him. I can’t think of a single thing he can possibly do that will halt his destruction.”


OUTSIDE BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S NEW HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


GARDNER VANCE

 

I can’t help the chortling. It was so easy to take her; one swift club on her head, and she went down like a sack of potatoes. It’s a shame about the guy, think she called him Archie, that was with her...but collateral damage is to be expected in these circumstances. I adjust the bomb jacket and pull up behind the back of the house. 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind adn constructive if reviewing. Thx