- Text Size +

CHAPTER 48 - THE TRIAL, A REVELATION AND HER REVENGE


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FOUR MONTHS LATER


COURTROOM ONE


VANCE


It’s come to this. I’m behind a bulletproof screen, for they have many fans around here! Cold sweat is trickling down my spine, through a combination of withdrawal and fear. I try not to look at anyone, I can feel the scathing and hateful looks stabbing into the top of my bowed head. 


Curiosity gets the better of me and I take a quick peek around. The courtroom is packed and filled with the low hum of chatter. Amongst those to witness my final humiliation are my ex-wife and her brother! Oh, the fun they had on the stand! Then, of course, there’s Brutus and Shorty, I had wondered what Zaden meant when she said that she knew about me ‘from time’, and when he sat with them I knew. 


Of course this has been everywhere since my arrest, they went into excruciating detail of what befell me that night. I’ve once again blamed drink and severe stress for my actions. I had the - as my attorney put it after our pre-trial hearing - presence of mind to have drunk a fair bit before I took Zaden. The tapping on the screen gets my focus on Agatha Lawson, my attorney. “How are you feeling?”


“How do you think I am, Ms Lawson?” I sigh crossly. “Where have you been? You’re late.”


She curls her lip. “Previous meeting overran. Did you need to be somewhere?” 


“Obviously not here!” I snipe.


“Then you obviously shouldn’t have done what you did...pissed up or not!” She returns; her sardonic tone irks. “Good lord, what is she doing here?!” She gasps.


I turn to see who she is looking at; it’s Lindsey's ex. “What’s her name again, how do you know her?”


“She’s an attorney. Don't play dumber than you are. Man, she looks incredible. Won’t be a minute, don’t go anywhere…” She calls back over her shoulder, making those nearby snicker and stare.


“Stupid cow!” I snap at her retreating back.


“Smart wife.” James Allison, my secondary tosses over his shoulder before approaching me with a sneer. “Wonder how that’s going to affect her closing statement?” He taunts, before watching for her return. I sink back into my chair - I hadn’t seen him. She isn’t over there long; he smiles as he holds out her chair. “So, you stupid cow, how is she doing?”


She frowns, then rolls her eyes. “Oh, that’s what he said? I got off lightly.” She laughs. “As for Mel, she’s doing great, though the Mayor-Elect and First Man are annoyed with her for being here so close to her due date.”


“Still as stubborn as ever.” He chuckles. “What’s the plan today?”


“You mean apart from hoping the consideration doesn’t last too long?” He nods. “Well, if it goes the way it looks it’s going to, once they’re back, we just wait and see what the judge decides on.”


“You’re talking like  a guilty verdict is a fore…”


“Vance, it is a foregone conclusion. The video evidence, your previous actions against them, and no…”


“My extenuating circumstances should…”


“Will not be considered!” She snaps. “And then, of course, there’s the matter of your previous sentence.” I look blankly at her. “You will have to serve a proper term on top of whatever they deem fit here.”


“Proper term for what?” I gasp.


“The arson.” James answers looking both amused and annoyed. “Obviously.”


“You’re joking, obviously?! I’ve served my time for that!”


“Not according to the review board. Following the actions of your former attorney...” He arches a brow. “...you remember him don’t you? Though he’s...”


“I don’t know anything about him now.” I snap. “The last time I saw him, he handed me a restraining order. Some guff about him being investigated; as far as I’m concerned, he is dead to me now.”


“Rather crass of you, don’t you think?” He snaps. “Considering the circumstances of…”


“The circumstances are that, according to you, I’ve got to serve additional time for his incompetence, I demand that you set up a meeting with him, and…”


“Not a meeting we would want to attend, since we don’t know any mediums.” Agatha interrupts. “For once, listen to me…”


“Why would you need a medium?” I fume.


“Because your last attorney is dead.” James states.


“Dead? When did that happen?!” I gape at her. “How?”


“You didn’t know?” I shake my head. “Oh well. So, after he was disbarred and told that all of his cases for the last five years were to be reviewed, he killed himself.” My jaw drops. “His corruption was absolute, and, like you, he held a contemptuously high regard for himself. He did have some very high profile clients; who he got off as lightly as he could, like you for example, but those he deemed ‘a stain on society’ he helped jail on flimsy evidence.” I am reeling. “It’s going to be a long process for others. You, not so much.” 


“He was recommended to me.” I protest weakly. “I had no idea what he was like.”


“Bullshit!” James retorts. “There is no way you should’ve gotten the term you did, and you didn’t question it?”


“I just thought he made a powerful argument.” I clear my throat. “Have they made a decision on the arson term?”


“Yes, and this stupid cow is going to let you find out later. Looks like the jury’s ready.”


BRIAN


I look across at my beauty, specifically my beauty’s butt, as he leans across to talk to Ems. His trousers are pulled tight, my shifting in my seat gets a knowing smirk from Faal. When I rub Justin’s thigh, he turns to blow me a quick kiss. I quickly brush his cock; he mouths 'later' before resuming his chat. 


I lean back in my seat thinking back to the start of the misery that three people have caused us, I’m so glad where each of them has ended up. He and I recently had a proper heart to heart, even deeper than when Michael was killed. 


With hindsight, was the only way to stop him. The injuries he caused Jacob Jones, were sickening, so much hatred and I was truly scared for Justin. During our talk he asked if I would change anything about our lives, I admitted to just the one thing. That I would’ve stopped behaving like an aromantic jerk, which deep down I wasn’t. I would’ve stood for what I wanted and that was him, from the moment I met him, my heart was his. I thought he would be hurt because I didn’t say that he shouldn’t have been bashed, but he agreed with me! It was hard to admit that they bullied me and I should’ve stood up for myself against them 


As for Lindsay, she is not going to know what is going to hit her when Justin, Christopher and Gus get through with her. Not only are they being represented by Mel, but the secondary is going to be the one and only Jenny! 


Now we’ve got, please God let it be so, just Vance left. He is looking sickly. This case is bad enough, but because of Gus’s determination to avenge the destruction of his Papa’s work, Mel used her contacts to get the review of his late attorney’s cases pushed through quickly.


“All rise!” The bailiff orders; Vance grows paler as Judge Corbett gets comfortable, then turns to the jury.


“Excuse me, guys, can I sit next to Mom, please?” Jenny whispers. “I need to ask her something, I would rather not interrupt the summation by yelling.” We quickly allow her to slide in next to Mel then wait for Judge Corbett to speak.


“Madam Forewoman, have you reached a majority verdict?”


“Yes, Your Honour, we have. No dissenters.”


“How do you find the defendant?”


“Guilty of all charges.” 


“Thank you. You are dismissed...the defendant will stand!” Judge Corbet bellows, Vance shoots back up again. 


We are high fiving as a group, and I kiss Justin soundly. “Later is in ten minutes.” I murmur against his lips. 


“Mom, are you okay?!” Jenny gasps loudly. “That’s not Braxton Hicks, is it?!” 


The court goes quiet, now all eyes are now on Mel. “Since the last one was about 20 minutes ago, honey, I think it is.” She reassures her. 


“Twenty minutes?” Ted echoes. “But what if it’s not?! I’m not taking any chances that my godchild is being born in court! An ambulance is too slow! Blake, go get the car, channel your inner Lewis Hamilton! Carl, can you blue light us?! Why is everyone just standing there?!” He shrieks.


“Teddy! She said twenty minutes! Just calm down.” Faal laughs.


“Are you sure?” Judge Corbett queries. “I’m with Mr Schmdit, perhaps we should err on the side of caution and get her to the hospital?”


“No, Your Honour, it’s fine. I wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Mel declares. 


“As you wish.” Although he smiles, he does look nervous. “Members of the jury, I thank you for your service, you are now dismissed.” We wait for them to file out. “As well as the charges that this court has heard, there is also the matter of the previous sentencing for the arson charges. Following their review, they have been upgraded to attempted murder…” 


“What?!” Justin exclaims. “Sorry, Your Honour, but...what?!”


“Apology accepted. It is the opinion of the review board that the defendant’s faculties were not compromised. There was no excuse, he went there with vengeance and murder on his mind.” 


“Your Honour…” Vance’s attorney stands. “...is it your intention to swear another jury in for the previous trial?”


“No, sentences will be passed after a twenty minute recess.”


“Thank you, Your Honour.” 


“All rise!” The bailiff demands, we head out in stunned silence.


MEETING ROOM ONE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MEL


I breathe deep and smile. When I heard about the death of his former attorney, I was furious that he hadn’t faced justice, especially for what he didn’t do for Archie. He made absolutely no effort for him, all because he was from the wrong side of the tracks. When Archie told me how Vance behaved in jail towards him after he found out that they shared an attorney, and the gloating that followed, I had to do something. 


“Mel? I asked you why?” Zee asks.


“Why what? You mean Vance? Because of how he was with Archie.” I frown as I’ve told her this before.


“No, why didn’t you want us to help you get the review pushed up? We know people.”


“I know. It’s just…” I blush and she nudges me to continue. “...you’re always coming to the rescue, I just wanted to be the hero for once.”


“I see. Well, you certainly were.” She smiles, but then looks embarrassed. 


“Zee?” I prompt.


“Am blaming my baby brain.” She grumps rubbing her stomach. “Stroke of genius getting Supreme Judge Rausch and Judge Paal on the review board. Wouldn’t have thought of them for that.”


“Thank you.” I grin, feeling very pleased with myself.


“Are you going to let him in the delivery room?” She snickers at a watching-me-like-a-hawk Ted.


“I don’t think I’ve got much choice in the matter!” I laugh as he checks his watch. “Ted, stop that!”


He looks affronted. “Now listen to me, Missy, in there is my godchild. I am going to…”


“Get me to the hospital now!” I gasp as my waters take that moment to break!

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be constructive and kind. Thanks.