- Text Size +

CHAPTER 50 - ...SAYING HELLO, THE START OF REVENGE AND THE FINAL GOODBYE


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FOUR DAYS LATER


COURTROOM ONE


VANCE


Once again, this place is packed; well, it feels that way because ever since I sat down, I’ve kept my eyes front. This was at the suggestion of my cellmate and his friend. It’s bad enough that I’ve had ten years added to my sentence for the arson, but I have to share my time with Luther Stark with Joel Savakrio. The only saving grace, but not much of one, is that I didn’t kill Kingsman, although the way they’re behaving makes me wish I had done…


Start of flashback

SCI ALBION - THREE DAYS EARLIER


ADMISSIONS 


VANCE


My head is pounding, stomach churning, but at least the withdrawal symptoms have eased considerably. The cocaine substitute they had me on at first was, obviously, not cutting it, but now I’m grateful for it, even if they put me on the lowest amount possible and the consequent purging made me wish I had died. It was even worse than when Justin, as I later found out, doctored the bandage. 


“Get up, Vance! Your turn!” A guard barks at me. I approach the desk, then tune out whilst I’m booked in. The walk to my cell began quietly enough, but then the guard started to chuckle. At first I thought he was coughing or something, but when I looked at him he was smirking. 


“What’s amusing you?” I demand, just as we reach the walkway doors.


“You’ll find out soon enough.” He responds coldly. “And when you do, you’ll lose that tone real quick!”


As I’m handed off to the next guard, he says nothing, again the walk to my new cell is quiet but all eyes are on me. 


“Open up Cell 7!” The guard yells, the door slides open, and out steps the biggest guy I’ve ever seen in my life, even bigger than Brutus! “Vance, meet Savakrio, Savakrio meet Vance. Be nice to each other.”


“I’m in a cell with him?” I try not to whimper.


“Ooh, isn’t he pretty? So glad we get to share.” He bats his eyes and smiles at me.


“I said his name is Vance, as in Gardner Vance.” The guard tells him, and the smile, like a melting candle, slides off his face and is replaced by a look of hatred. 


“Vance? Gardner Vance, the one that hurt Archie?!” Savakrio bellows; rendering the block, if anything, quieter.


“Yeah, that Gardner Vance. Just so you know, Vance, Savakrio knew Kingsman, shared a cell with him, were very good friends.”


“You can’t put him in there with him!” A voice calls down. “Let him share with me. Come on, man, just put him in with me.” I try to see my saviour whilst willing the guard to get on board with this much safer-for-me option, but Savakrio’s size blocks my view.


“Alright, I suppose. Step back inside, Savakrio.” The guard orders, however, Savakrio’s eyes never waver as he does so. My heartbeat slows down once the door is shut, but I can still feel his gaze upon me. “Open up Cell 3! Pick up your things, there’s no butler service here!” 


I grab my bag, which I had dropped in sheer terror, and clutch it tightly, mostly to still the trembling on my hands. When we get there, the door is already open and the cell is empty. 


“He’s with me!” Another guard shouts. “Doing his list!”


“Okay!” Mine calls back, then gestures me inside. “Bottom cot is yours.” 


Soon I’m alone, my stuff is put away, and I’m hit by tiredness, so decide to lie down for a bit.


Just as my eyes start to drift shut, a cough gets my attention. I swing myself upright and stick out my hand. “Gardner Vance, and I can’t thank you enough for offering to share with me. I dread to think what could’ve happened when he got me alone.”


“Think nothing of it.” The man returns as he heads to the desk. “Let me put these down and greet you properly.”


“That’s a lot of paperwork, is this the list that the other guard was helping you with?” I ask, feeling relieved as he seems friendly enough.


“Yeah, well part of it. I’m studying...”


“Wow, good for you. Can I help with anything? I’ve got some business acumen that could be useful.”


“Oh I don’t want to impose, I mean you’ve got so much on your plate to contend with.”


“What do you mean?” I frown.


“Everyone knows everyone’s business around here. You’ve got a tough road ahead with what you tried to do with the Taylor-Kinneys.”


“Oh that, I…”


“And then there’s Archie, and, of course, Zee and my grandchild that you tried to kill.”


“Wh...what?” I stammer.


“Shake my hand.” He holds it out. “I said Shake.My.Hand.” 


“Wh...who are you ?” 


“Luther. Luther Stark, best friend to Archie, who you are lucky is still alive. And, like I said, father to Zee and grandfather to the child you tried to kill when you shot her in the back.” I can’t even yell for help I'm so terrified. “Oh, don’t worry, I’m not one for holding a grudge. I know the good attorney that’s going to be at your hearing when it happens.”


“The attorney…” 


“Yeah. Like I said, everyone knows everyone’s business.”

End of flashback


“All rise.” The bailiff orders, I stand, again keeping my eyes forward.


“Been waiting long?” I shake my head, but out of the corner of my eye, I see his Louis Vuitton case land on the table across the courtroom. He opens it and takes out a raft of papers. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t get more than the ten years for your last crime…” People start to chuckle. “...will be sure to do better this time.”


“Mr Stark, if you could stop taunting the defendant.”


“Of course, Your Honour, there’s always dinner for that.” Luther replies.


“Thank you. Have you prepared your arguments?” Judge Corbett is definitely smirking!


“I don’t think I need to. His guilt has been proven, however, I would, no matter what sentence he gets, request that he remains at SCI Albion. He’s on the road to being clean, and moving him to another jail where there might be temptation would be a hindrance to his rehabilitation.”


“I had already thought that and this is so ordered.” I feel sicker than ever, but cling to my last hope, which is that they at least let me move cells; I risk looking at Luther. He is wearing a vaguely familiar suit. I wrack my brains to try to remember where I’ve seen it before, then it hits me. On Kinney! He always wore Armani, and that particular cut! “As your attorney has stated, Mr Vance...Mr Vance, are you listening? I’m getting the impression that, once again, you’re not!”


“Yes. Yes, Your Honour.” I reply quickly. I fume at the flash of Luther’s gold tooth as he smirks at my chastisement.


“Your attorney has said that they will enter a plea whilst sentencing is carried out; an unusual step, but allowed. This I will come to, you have been found guilty of all charges, with the additional charge of child endangerment added. Thanks to Mr Stark pointing that out. I, Judge Isaac Corbett, hereby sentence you, Gardner Vance, to thirty four years in prison, subject to an appeal, to be served consecutive to the previous sentence administered in the case of attempted and murder and arson.”


The courtroom is so quiet, I can hear Luther’s papers being put away and the click of his case as it shuts. “Remove the defendant from the court to begin his term!”


I’m numb as I’m led out. When I’m in the holding cell, Stark comes down. It’s just the two of us. He put the case between his feet and leans on the bars. “Well, that went better than I expected.”


“How was this...how were you allowed to be the prosecuting attorney at this late stage?” I gulp. “There must be laws?” 


“Of course there are, but we got around them, all within the confines of the law.” He replies as he picks at, then adjusts, his tie. “But, apart from Zee, aren’t you curious as to why else?” I nod wearily, knowing that I will either hear now or in my cell later. “Because you pissed off the wrong family. And as far as me, my baby girl, and my granddaughter are concerned, the Taylor-Kinneys and Archie are family.” As he strides towards the exit he pauses. “Oh, you’re sitting with Joel and me for dinner, and it’s humble pie for dessert. I’ll make sure to save you a nice big portion.”


“He’s still in prison, you couldn't get him out!” I snark back.


“That’s true, but I wasn’t trying to get him out. I was trying and succeeded in getting him off the assault charge, but it doesn't matter even if I didn’t, cos you’re still going to be in jail long after we’re released.”


His laughter bounces off the walls and reverberates around my brain all the way back to prison.


TACONIC CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, NEW YORK - A WEEK LATER


VISITING ROOM


LINDSAY


Gus! Gus is here! I’m beyond thrilled! I look through the throng of people and spot him. His hair is longer and he’s stockier, although looking a little lopsided. I almost run to the table, but one look from the guard stops me. When I can see him clearly, he is carrying a messenger bag. My heart sinks. I recognise it, it belongs to Justin, it was the one he took with him when he first moved to New York. It still looks pristine, it was the one thing that Brian bought him to remember him by. If only he was a memory, I think bitterly, but put on a bright smile as Gus approaches.


“Sonny boy, how lovely…”


“Nope, you’re not using that.” He puts the bag on the table. “Nor Lambskin.”


“You’re looking well, I’m so glad to see…”


“I know I’m looking well. Amazing what the love of a good man can do. Look at Dad and Papa.” He opens the bag and pulls out a few envelopes and slides them towards me. They’re almost A3 size, I’m surprised he was allowed to bring it in. “In answer to your frown, which you really should stop as it’s going to make you look more haggard, having parents as Mayor and First Man has its advantages. Open them.”


“More haggard?” I gasp before his scowl extinguishes my annoyance, after all I don’t want him to leave yet, so I smile whilst doing as I’m told.  “I’m looking tired because I was too excited to sleep.”  


“Thought it was Dad, didn’t you?” He rests his chin in his hand, in a classic Justin taunting pose. “Or maybe Faal, in surname disguise?” I feel myself start to colour. “Thought as much. Trust me, their spouses wouldn’t let them come; make them cum, yes, let them where you are concerned, not so much!”


“Gus, there’s no need for that, I’ve made my mistakes, which I’m paying for, can we please leave them the past?”


“Not begun to pay, now look at them. Look at what you could’ve been a part of.” 


I swallow hard and pull out what’s inside. They’re photos. The first one is of the inaugural dinner. I had heard that it was behind closed doors, but it looks spectacular and I can’t help my groan of disappointment. 


“And they paid for it themselves, no cost to the city. Zee and Faal insisted on helping, of course. Doesn’t she look great? You’d never know that there are twins in there, she’s in Celine, specially made for her. Next one.” It’s the family portrait of Mel, Leda, JR, Gus...and a baby. “His name is Olivier, he’s almost a month old. Tell Nancy that her ex makes wonderful children. Oh, wait, he’s your ex too, isn’t he? Or does you two screwing behind Nancy’s back make him just a fuckbuddy instead?”


“Why are you doing this?” I whisper as he indicates that I should keep looking.


“Because you need to know how I felt, every damn day you hurt my parents. I know I told you, but I had to show you in a way you would understand! And this…” He jabs at the photos, causing me to drop one. “...is the only thing you understand: pomp, circumstance and stature!”


I’m sorry, Gus, I truly am.” I weep burying my head in my hands. “You’ve…”


“Quite frankly, Lindsay, you can just supercalifuckilistickissourassadocious!” Gus announces  then stands. “Keep them and the bag. Papa said it has bad memories for him. You know,  since you were there when Dad bought it. He wanted to buy something else, but you persuaded him to buy this monstrosity. It’s the last vestige of you that was in our home, I said I would bring it to its rightful owner.” 


“Are you ready to go?” I gape at Brian as he helps Gus with his coat. “Got what you came for?”


“Yeah, then when she’s out I’ll get the rest.” He replies. And then, without a backward glance, they walk away.


It’s only when I’m passing a window on the way back to my cell that something catches my eye. It’s Justin. He’s sitting on the mayoral car, kicking his heels against the tire. I pause as the door opens and a young man gets out. Gus rushes to him and they embrace. He’s rubbing his back and whispering in his ear. 


“Peterson! Get your ass moving!” A guard bellows, and I drop Gus’s ‘gift’, but then spot a bin and dump it. Feeling unburdened, I head back to Mother, trying to work out how to put a positive spin on this! 


However, the next morning after breakfast, the messenger bag and photos are waiting for me in my cell  and no matter how many times or where I throw them away  they keep coming back.


EPILOGUE - EIGHTEEN MONTHS LATER


BRITIN


BRIAN


MJ is beside herself with joy, she’s pulling me as hard as she can towards the stairs. “Alright, Sunny Girl, I’m coming! Let me put my case down first!”


“Quickers, Dada!” She pleads and tugs. “Must see now, now!” I scoop her up before she implodes, and trot upstairs to the source of her impatience and happiness. The nursery. Her favourite place, as this has her second best small human, her words. She's finally the same as her ‘bessattfwiend’ MJ, a big sister! She peers into the crib at her brother, Zane, and grins up at us. “Pretty boy! My pretty boy!” 


“Yes, your pretty boy!” Justin grins, and kisses me hello. “Perfect timing, as always, she was staring so hard at the clock. I thought her eyeballs would dry out!” 


“Come on, little one.” George comes in and her lip starts to wobble. “Now, come now, you can see him afterwards, but the bath needs to happen. Yes, it will be quickers, before you ask, now scoot!” She rushes out, then I hear a groan, which means one thing. “Little one! Get undressed in the bathroom, not on the way!” George exclaims.


I shut the door with a chuckle. “How’s he doing?” I ask as Justin settles down to feed him.


“Perfect, utterly perfect.” He beams, then moves forward so I can sit behind him. “Ben wants an official family photo, we didn’t with MJ, and I’m not…”


“I get what you’re saying, but that was then, this is now. We’ve not only got the family, Stark Securities and Special Services behind and around us; we’ve also, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, got Yardies and the Mafia!”


“Don’t exaggerate!” He giggles, which still makes me throb. “Vince does not have Mafia connections, his cousins are just big for their ages.” I snort. “And Joel was grateful, very grateful...but I have to admit they’re a bit scary!”


“A bit? Never has my dick died so fast as when Tyrone caught us in the garage!” I still cringe at the memory. “Thank God for Alice, now they know when not to interrupt!” 


We both look up at the knock at the door. Daphne’s head appears. “May I have this feed?”


“Sure, but why?” I frown as she takes Zane.


“Well, two things: I heard him giggle and the garage has just been declared clear.” 


“Quickers!” Justin husks, and, laughing, I sprint after him, safe in the knowledge that nobody can hurt us anymore, and if they try, then they will die and we will live with that!



Then End.

 

Chapter End Notes:

And so this is the final story in the Waking with Enemies Series, I hope you've enjoyed the journey as much as I have.

If reviewing please be kind and constructive

The End.
MissMerlot is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 24 members. Members who liked The Howl of the Wolves also liked 515 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Waking with Enemies. The previous story in the series is The Rattle of Snakes.