- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - DAD AND DAUGHTER PLAY A TIMELY TUNE


JUSTIN


“I have to tell Brian, I can’t not tell him!” I declare.


“I know.” Zee sighs. “Go get him.” She tells a waitress, she sprints out of the door.


“What…”


“...is going on?” Brian finishes for me as he comes in, looking bewildered.


“Lock it off!” Faal orders, coming in after Brian, who looks as surprised by his presence as I am. Within seconds, the restaurant’s blinds and shutters are down, the customers and wait staff are taking down cameras, removing mics, and putting guns on the table.


“Zaden!” I exclaim, but she points at Faal. “Faal! Will you stop with the mollycoddling?”


“Molly...who, what, where, why, and when?!” Brian raps out.


“I need you to be calm. Please be calm.”


“Spit it out, brat.”


“Vance knows Sapperstein.” It takes nanoseconds to register. “Calm! He’s in jail!”


“He knows people, Justin!” 


“And hasn’t bothered me in years!” I counter, which takes some wind out of his sails.


“Which jail?” He growls whilst pulling me inside his coat and holding me tight. I squeeze him even tighter, pressing my ear to his heart, which starts to slow.


“SCI Albion.” Faal replies, which has me gawking at him. 


“How did you find that out? And why are you only telling us now?!”


“Stop yelling, Brian.” Faal orders. “He’s precious to us too. As for the now, like I said, we only just found out, and that was because of Emmy.” 


“Ems? Stud, let me out.”


“No.” He retorts, holding me tighter.


“Brian, all Stark…” Faal waves around the room. “...let him out.”


“No.” He reiterates.


“Fine.” Faal sighs. “So Sapperstein, it turns out, was one of the heavies that Vance had chase Joe out of the Pitts.”


“Hang on, Faal.” Brian orders as I start to tremble. “Do we need to be alone?” He whispers, I nod and he walks us into the kitchen. “What?”


“Cocaine.” I quietly admit, the explosion doesn't take long.


“You took cocaine with this guy?!” He whirls me around. “What were you thinking?!”


“I broke his teeth! So that stopped...” 


“Him from doing what?!” He roars. I flinch as the memory assails me. “Oh, you stupid little twat! What happened?” 


“Give me Baby, you get brandy.” Ems orders, startling us both, but soon Faal, Blake, and Zee also join us. “So?” Ems prompts.


“He tried to put me in a sling, hence the broken teeth.” I have never heard them so quiet.


“Give me my husband.” Brian orders, once I am in his arms, I start to cry. “Is that it, there is nothing more?” I squeeze him again. “Give us the room.” His tone doesn’t allow for arguments. “I knew something happened.” I blink at him, he hands me his pocket square. “You went from ‘I am doing this’ to ‘I am done’ so fast, figured something had to have happened. Why didn't you tell me? My considerable temper aside.” 


“I felt so stupid. I knew he was interested, but never…” 


“Oh Sunshine. Let’s get you home. Needs Ems?”


“Please.” I whimper.


“Ems!” He calls out. “Take him, get him home. I will be there as soon as I can. Get Alice and George too.”


“Alice and George?” Blake frowns.


“Leave them where they are.” Zee declares “I’ll go with.” 


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


BLAKE


“Why Alice and George?” I blurt out.


“Huh? Sorry, zoned out.” Zee shakes her head before taking down the water.


“Why did Brian want Alice and George in here?” I watch her carefully.


“Sustenance.” Zee smiles. “You know how…”


“That would require Alice, not George.” Ems points out. “As much as I love him, he cannot cook, especially when Baby is upset. An upset Baby needs fresh food. Back there is the beginnings of a clusterfuck, yet you are here, so why Alice and George?”


“Oh my, do they pack too?!” I squeak. She thinks for a few seconds before nodding. “That’s it! I am calling Teddy and Ems, you call Drew!”


“Uh, why?” Zee frowns.


“To get their permission, of course!” Ems rifles in his bag. “Apart from Brian, who does he spend most of his time with? Us?!” He stops searching and sighs. “Do they...have you given them lessons? Brian and Justin?”


“Yes.” 


“Why not us then?” Ems looks hurt. “Hey!” He shouts as he catches the knife way before it could hit me. “What did you...ooooh!”


“And Blake, didn’t you wonder why I insisted that you and Ted keep up those driving lessons from stunt school?”


“What about Drewsie?” Ems gasps. 


“Kept his Ironman training up with a few tweaks.” 


“Wow.” I murmur. “You’ve been training us to…”


“...protect yourself. It was Dad’s idea. He said, they need to be able to fight back, to escape, just be subtle, incorporate it into an everyday thing. That way they won’t make a big deal out of it, it will be a thing you do.”


“Boxing. I want to be able to punch!” Ems declares.


She gets to about half a foot away, then holds her hand up. “You are making bread. Knock it out.”


Ems frowns for a few seconds before punching her palm. “You little dickens!” 


“What are you doing?” Justin rubs his eyes as he comes in.


“Baby, did you know about the subtle lessons?!” 


“The what? Is Brian back yet?” He heads to the coffee machine.


“No Brian for at least three hours…”


“Three?” Justin gasps. “Why?”


“Because he and Faal will spend two hours arguing over your security, and it will take an hour, during which they will still be arguing, to get here.”


“What are subtle lessons?” He asks as he sits on the counter.


“What about Ben and Steve, Mel, Leda, Jennifer and the kids?!” I babble excitedly.


“Their self defence teacher is one of ours.” She scrubs her face. “And now there’s Sapperstein with the lord alone who he knows…”


“Are you suggesting that my Mother is some kind of ninja?!” Justin gapes.


“Let’s go to the hallway.” We follow her out. “Ems, stand where that table is. Now help me with a tumble!” We watch as she rushes towards him before he flips her over, she lands on her feet. “I know how to do that, chances are some lunkhead numpty won’t. And what do we play darts with whilst waiting for food to cook?” 


“Knives.” Ems looks thoughtful. “So, could I buy my own set, you know, just to carry around?” 


“Be right back!” She shouts, and is out the door. It reminds me of the night she found Claudia, except it is not raining. She is holding a box. “I knew this day would come, and once I explained it would be okay. So here.” He takes it from her and slowly opens it. “They’re pearl handled…”


“Korin flick knives.” He breathes.


“When killing, kill stylishly.” She looks a bit nervous. “We can change them if…”


“Oh no, they are perfect.” He kisses her cheek. 


But then what she said hits home. “You really think it could come to that? Us having to…” I gulp.


“Yes.” She sighs. “You have to be more aware from this point on. Yes, you have Stark, but you need to have yourselves too. Only if you have to, you must remember the ‘get’ tenets...


“Which is? Sorry, you finish.” I blush.


“Get in, get them, get out.” 


“Got it.” We all chorus, but Justin looks pensive.


 “Baby?” Ems questions.


“It’s ice rocks, isn’t it? Ice rocks for Jenny. So what have you given Gus? You have to have given him something.”


“He knows where to hit.” Zee grins. “How to immobilise. He is very clever, your son, figured it out straight away.”


“I think…” I begin.


“Yeah, let’s all practice together.” Zee’s relief is all consuming. “Starting tomorrow. But for now, let’s get Baby fed!”


“Thank you!” Justin declares. “I need...um...ooh a buddha bowl with broth and…”


“Wings.” Brian states as he comes in with Faal. All but Zee are shocked.


“You should not take her words for granted.” Faal smiles. “We were right behind you, and…she will say anything to save your life and buy some time. You need to listen to what she is not saying.”


“Wait, don’t say it.” I begin to pace. “She said where Brian and you were, but nobody else. So ‘they’ would be looking for Brian and you. Who else is here?” 


“Come on out!” Zee hollers. We are incredulous as Alice, George, and her brothers join us in the hallway. 


“But how?” Ems demands.


“Heart monitors.”


“We don’t have heart monitors.” I point out.


“But you do have watches.” 


I quickly take mine off and examine it. “Not seeing…”


“You won’t find it, just know it’s there and she did what she does best. Now put it back on, Blake.” Ems orders. “Thank you for being a sneaky loving friend. Now let’s get Baby fed and everyone here tomorrow so they are up to speed.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be consstructive and kind if reviewing. Thx