- Text Size +



There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 1





“What the fuck happened?” John demanded as he took a good look at the exhausted and injured men.

Brian and Justin glanced at each other and then at John and Bree.

“Pele wasn’t happy.”

Bree squirmed in her uncle’s arms until he put her down, tears brimming in her eyes. “Dada, Daddy?”

Justin squatted down to give his daughter a one-armed hug. “I’m sorry, baby girl, I can’t pick you up,” he said softly into Bree’s ear.

“John, get us out of here,” Brian said in a low tone. He managed to lean on his crutches so that he could caress the top of Bree’s head.

“I can help,” Bree said as she reached for her father’s messenger bag.

With John’s help, Justin took the bag off his good shoulder then draped it over Bree’s shoulder. They found a cart for their bags then slowly made their way out of the terminal.

“So are you guys going to tell me why we sent off two men in the picture of health and we got back two men that look like they should be in a convalescent home?” John asked with a growl. It took some time to get Brian and Justin situated in the Navigator so that they could drive back home in relative comfort. Bree sat in her booster seat in the back with her daddy while Brian stretched out in the front.

“It appears, my dear brother, that I have taken the name of the gods in vain one too many times. One in particular wasn’t very happy with us,” Brian snarked.

“Cut the shit, Brian. What truck hit you and who does Bobby have to sue?” John asked in no mood for Brian’s sarcasm.

“Did a truck hit you, Daddy?” Bree asked with her eyes open wide.

“No, baby. Uncle John was just kidding. We had a couple of accidents, that’s all,” Justin explained calmly. He was glaring daggers at the back of Brian’s head.

“Brian, I have to warn you, the family is planning a welcome home barbecue on Sunday. It’s a three day weekend. If you don’t think you’re up to it, tell me now and I’ll call to cancel,” John said.

“Justin, do you want to cancel?” Brian asked before answering.

“Do you?” Justin turned it around.

“The family plan on doing everything. They figured you’d be tired but not broken and battered,” John threw in.

“Nothing’s broken but...” Brian started.

“But we are a little battered,” Justin finished. “Bri, if the family really does do everything...”

“I know. John, we’re fine, just really tired and very happy to be home. Let the family converge, we have a day and a half to rest up for it.”

“Are you sure?” John asked.

“We’re sure,” Brian and Justin said in unison.

They settled back as John drove them home.



*****



Finally the Navigator pulled through the gate of Edna’s Treasures Lane and made its way up to the house. Bree had sat silently for the whole ride staring from one of her fathers to the other, a worried look on her face. When the car came to a stop, she waited patiently to be released from her booster seat. She could get out herself but she felt that she should stay out of the way as much as possible.

Patrick and Bobby rushed out of the house to greet them. They were about to give a big hug to Justin who was the first out of the Navigator after John. One look at the sling on his arm and they both slid to a stop a couple of feet from Justin.

“Uncle Justin, what happened?” Patrick asked in surprise taking the words right out of Bobby’s mouth.

“It’s a long story,” Justin sighed. “Can you help us with the luggage? I’ll tell you all about it when we get inside.”

“Sure,” Bobby said with a look of concern on his face. “Is it broken?”

“Dislocated,” Justin replied simply.

Bobby shook his head as he walked to the back of the Navigator to help John who was unloading suitcases.

“Uncle Bri!” Patrick gasped as Brian hobbled around the front of the Navigator on his crutches.

“It’s me, Little Red,” Brian replied trying to smile. His ankle was throbbing and all he wanted to do was sit down.

“Is it broken?” Patrick asked.

“Bad sprain,” Brian said.

“What the fuck happened to them?” Bobby asked John as they got the last of the luggage out of the SUV.

“I don’t know. They promised to explain when they got home,” John told his husband.

“They look like they’re returning from a war.”

All John could do was nod and start carrying the luggage into the house.

“Can I help you?” Patrick asked Brian.

“No, Little Red, I’m okay. I’d give you a hug but I don’t have a free arm,” Brian said as he swung along on his crutches.

“That’s okay, Uncle Bri, I’m just glad you’re all right.” He walked beside Brian towards the front door.

Justin started to follow them when he heard a pitiful “Daddy!” coming from the SUV. “Bree,” Justin said, finally remembering his daughter.

“Can I come out now?” Bree asked as Justin opened the car door.

“Of course, sweetheart,” Justin said. “I’m sorry we forgot about you. It’s hard doing everything with one arm.”

“I’ll take care of you, Daddy,” Bree volunteered as she jumped down from the high vehicle. She placed her little hand into her father’s good one.

“Thank you, sweetheart.” They started walking towards the house.

“Does it hurt?” Bree asked.

“A bit.”

“You should lay down,” Bree counseled with all her wisdom.

Justin smiled fondly at her. “I think that’s great advice.”

Bree grinned. She knew she would be able to look after her daddies.



*****



It took a while to get everything organized in Edna’s Treasures. John and Bobby volunteered to unpack the suitcases and start laundry, while Brian and Justin rested on the chaises in the sun porch. Bree and Patrick acted as nurses making sure the two men had all the pillows they needed. The two children brought them some iced tea that John had made and placed in their refrigerator. After enjoying the iced tea, Brian and Justin each let their head rest on the back of the chaise. Their eyes started to droop.

Patrick motioned to Bree, putting his finger to his lips to indicate that they should be quiet. Soon he could see that his uncles were asleep. He motioned for Bree to follow him into the kitchen.

“Do you think they’re okay?” Bree whispered as they stood near the doorway to the sun porch watching the two men.

“They look pretty beat up,” Patrick observed. “But they said they were okay.”

“I don’t know,” Bree replied with a frown.

“What don’t you know, princess?” John asked as he came out of Brian and Justin’s bedroom having finally cleared out their luggage and stowed it away.

“Are my daddies really okay?” she asked staring up at her uncle with her large violet eyes.

John squatted down so he was on the same level as Bree. “They said they were fine, so you should believe them. A sprained ankle and a dislocated shoulder will both heal. It will take a little time, but they’ll be good as new before too long.”

“Are you sure?” Bree asked.

“I’m sure,” John said hoping to transmit his confidence to Bree.

“’Kay, Unca John,” Bree agreed.

“They will be just fine,” John repeated hoping to get that message across to Bree. He pulled her into a warm hug. Bree sniffled and held onto her uncle. “You okay?” Bree nodded. “Good, then why don’t you and Patrick get ready for bed.”

“Do I hafta?” Bree asked.

“Yes, princess. You want to be good for your daddies, don’t you?”

“Yes,” Bree said grudgingly.

“Then go put on your pj’s.”

Bree stared at her uncle for a minute after he released her from the hug. She didn’t want to go to bed. She wanted to stay with her daddies. But she didn’t want to cause a fuss when her daddies needed to sleep.

“’Kay,” she said finally. She turned and trudged down the hall dejectedly.

John watched her go with a little smile playing at the corners of his mouth. He knew how much she loved her daddies, but they did need to rest.

When Bree and Patrick were ready for bed, John and Bobby decided they should wake up Brian and Justin and get them into their own bed. Sleeping on the chaises was okay for a short time, but their own bed would be better for the whole night.

“Little bro’,” John said touching Brian’s shoulder.

“Hm, yeah?” Brian asked opening his eyes.

“You and Justin should turn in,” Bobby said.

“What time is it?” Brian asked.

“Just after eight.”

“How long have I been asleep?”

“About an hour.”

“Shit, we were supposed to stay awake so that we could counteract jet lag,” Brian griped. “Why did you let me sleep?”

“Take it easy, Brian,” John said gently. “Your bodies obviously needed the sleep. I think you should get into your own beds,” he added.

“I probably won’t be able to get back to sleep,” Brian said. “I’ll be wide awake for the next six hours.”

“Stop being so negative,” John advised. “Go to bed, and if you can’t sleep then get up. You’ll sleep eventually.”

Brian shook his head still annoyed. “Wake up Justin,” he ordered as he swung his legs off the edge of the chaise.

Bobby gently touched Justin saying his name softly. Justin awoke with a start.

“You and Brian should go to bed,” Bobby said.

“Oh, okay,” Justin said sleepily.

“Do you need help getting undressed,” Bobby asked.

“We’re not complete invalids,” Brian snapped as he got up and positioned his crutches.

“Whoa, sorry, just asking,” Bobby replied holding up his hands in surrender.

“I’m just in a bad mood,” Brian griped as he started towards the house.

“Can I sleep with you, Dada?” Bree asked innocently.

“No.”

“But…”

“Bree, Dada’s grumpy,” Justin said as he followed his husband. “He needs a good night’s sleep.”

“But I could get you a drink or a blanket or somethin’,” Bree said dejectedly.

Brian kept hopping along on his one foot ignoring Bree.

“You should sleep in your own room,” Justin told her.

“I want to sleep near you and Dada,” Bree protested, a trickle of tears running down her cheek. “You’ve been gone forever and now you don’t want me…” Bree’s bottom lip quivered and more tears formed in her eyes.

“You’ll sleep better in your own bed,” Justin said as he followed Brian into their bedroom. He shrugged with his one good shoulder before closing the door behind them.

“What’s wrong with my daddies?” Bree whined. “Don’t they love me anymore?”

“Of course they do,” John said picking her up. “They’re just tired and feeling sore and grumpy. Everything will be better in the morning.”

“Promise?” Bree asked, as she allowed herself to be carried to her own bedroom.

“I hope so,” John whispered as he set her down on the edge of her bed. “Climb in,” he said.

“I hafta say my prayers,” Bree replied.

“Right, I forgot,” John said sheepishly.

Bree knelt beside her bed. “Now I lay me down to sleep,” she started with her usual prayer that her Gamma Joan had taught her. When she was done she felt compelled to add, “Dear God, please make my daddies feel better tomorrow. I missed them so much, and they don’t want me to spend time with them. I don’t like that. If you could make them happier, I would be really glad. Thank you, God. Amen.”

“Good girl,” John said kissing her cheek as she got under her covers.

“Night, Unca John.”

“Good night, princess. Do you want Beau to sleep with you?”

“No, I’m okay.”

“That’s a good girl,” John said pleased that she was being so grown up about the situation. Her fathers could take some lessons from their little girl. John walked out of her bedroom turning out the light but leaving the door open just a bit.



*****



“Emmett, I told you I’d report in when they were back,” John said into the phone.

“How are their royal highnesses?”

“Um,” John said choosing his words carefully. “They’re not feeling so great.”

“What? Why? What’s wrong?”

“Let’s just say they had a couple of mishaps while they were away.”

“So our Memorial Day barbecue is off?” Emmett asked.

“No, I didn’t say that. They said you could go ahead with it, but I think we should ask them again in the morning.”

“Why? What’s going on?”

“Nothing. They’re sleeping at the moment. They’re really worn out.”

“Must have fucked each other senseless knowing the two of them,” Emmett joked.

“Yeah, something like that,” John agreed knowing that it was Justin and Brian’s story to tell what had happened to them. John also knew that if he said they were injured the family would descend on Edna’s Treasures to help. Brian was already in a foul mood. If the family arrived en masse to look after him, there’d be the wrath of Kinney to deal with. John decided he’d just keep his mouth shut for now.

“Well, Mr. Anderson, make sure you ask them again in the morning. If the barbecue is off, we need to know immediately. Everything has been planned out. You know everyone wants to see them and hear all about their second honeymoon.”

“I know, Emmett. I’ll check with them in the morning and let you know.”

“Make sure you tell them they don’t have to do a thing.”

“They already know that.”

“Well reinforce that with them. They won’t have to lift a finger.”

“Yes, Emmett, I’ll be sure they know that,” John said patiently.

“Good,” Emmett said. “Thanks for letting me know that they’re back safe and sound,” he added cheerfully.

John was about to correct that impression, but Emmett cut the connection.

“Is he worried about the barbecue?” Bobby asked as John set the phone down.

“Yeah.”

“You didn’t tell them what Brian and Justin looked like?”

“No, I didn’t think that would be wise.”

Bobby chuckled. “Good move. The hordes would have descended on us, and there’d be no living with that guy who looks so much like you.”

John shook his head. “We’re all afraid of him, aren’t we?”

“Naw, not afraid. It’s just much easier continuing to breathe when he’s happy.”

John laughed. “You got that right.”

“I’m glad they’re back,” Bobby said wrapping his arms around John’s neck.

“Me too, I missed them.”

Bobby stood up on his toes and kissed John’s lips gently. When John’s mouth opened he took full advantage. “What do you say about making this an early night for us too?” he asked.

“I think you have excellent ideas, Mr. Morrison. I knew there was a reason I married you.”

“And you better not forget what that reason is,” Bobby teased as he started to undo all the buttons he could find on John’s clothing.



*****



Bree tossed around in her big bed. She couldn’t go to sleep. Her daddies were hurt and they didn’t want her to be with them. This was not how it was supposed to be. She kicked off her covers and laid on her back staring up at the ceiling.

After a couple of minutes she looked out the window at the stars up in the heavens. She had prayed to God. Maybe tomorrow her daddies would be better. She wanted to hug them and hold onto them. They were so mean and grumpy. But she knew it wasn’t their fault. They didn’t feel good. She knew she could be grumpy when she didn’t feel good too.

She grabbed her grey bunny and held him close. She needed to do something, but she wasn’t sure what.

“What am I going to do, bunny?” she asked in a whisper.

Bunny didn’t answer her, but her own thoughts went over the possibilities. And then suddenly she knew. She sat up in her bed kicking off the rest of the covers.

“Come on, bunny,” she said as she gathered up her pillow, her quilt and her bunny. With her arms full, Bree started down the hall.

In the sun porch Beau’s ears perked up. He could hear someone moving around. No one was supposed to be up. All his humans had gone to bed, including the ones who had been away for many days.

Beau raised his head and listened. It sounded like the little girl. He wondered where she was going. He listened, trying to figure out what she was doing.

Beau knew he had been disappointed that his humans weren’t happier to see him when they got back. But they had looked to be in not very good shape, so Beau had decided to stay in the background. He understood that he shouldn’t jump on them.

Suddenly Beau knew where Bree was going. He got up and trotted across the sun porch. He positioned himself in front of his masters’ bedroom door.

“Let me in, Beau,” Bree said as she arrived. Beau did not move. “My daddies need me,” she said. “You can come too.”

Beau tilted his head quizzically and then moved aside.

Bree opened the door and said, “Daddy, Dada,” very softly. There was no reply. “Come on, Beau,” she whispered.

Bree walked across the room and studied her fathers’ faces in the moonlight. They looked like they were sleeping okay. That was good. With a big sigh Bree dropped her quilt and pillow on the floor beside her fathers’ bed. She lay down on it pulling the quilt around her and grey bunny. Beau curled up against her and they all fell asleep immediately. Everything was better in all their worlds.