- Text Size +

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 2






Justin groaned in his sleep, his arm had fallen off the pillow that Brian had propped it up on. It was now laying at an odd angle and was becoming painful. Justin’s painful moan immediately awakened Brian.

“Justin?” Brian turned to see what was wrong.

“My arm,” Justin whimpered. Brian groped for the bedside light then flipped the switch.

“I got it,” Brian softly whispered as he pushed himself up with his good foot then twisted in bed to reach Justin’s arm. Within moments, Justin’s arm was properly positioned.

“I’m sorry I woke you,” Justin murmured.

“Don’t be sorry, I’m the one who should apologize,” Brian admitted then kissed Justin’s lips. “I was an asshole to you and Bree.”

“She understood.”

“She shouldn’t have to understand. She’s a little girl and my daughter. I shouldn’t have spoken to her like that. She only wanted to help. I’ll apologize in the morning. I just hope she’ll forgive me.”

“She will. She has a big generous heart,” Justin reassured his spouse.

“Just like you.” Brian gave Justin a chaste kiss then kissed his temple. “Think you can go back to sleep?” Brian asked. Justin nodded. “Want something for the pain?” Justin shook his head. “Okay,” Brian said kissing the top of Justin’s head then he turned to shut off the light. As he turned, he noticed Beau and the lump on the floor.

“Beau?” Brian softly called out to the big dog. Beau lifted his head. “What are you...?” The lump slightly shifted. That’s when Brian realized that Beau had curled himself protectively around Bree, pillowing her and keeping her warm.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked. He couldn't see them from his side of the bed.

“Our daughter decided to keep us company and Beau decided to keep her company. They're on the floor.”

“I can’t pick her up,” Justin said sadly.

“Neither can I.”

“What are we going to do?” Justin asked. Brian remained silent for the moment weighing all options.

“Beau can help,” Brian said.

“How?”

“Watch. Beau, get Bree,” Brian said to the big dog. “Go ahead, boy, wake her up,” Brian commanded.

“Think he understands?”

“Beau is a remarkable dog. He understands.”

Beau cocked his head, looking intensely at Brian’s face. He could sense his masters’ pain and anxiety.

“Go on, boy, wake up Bree,” Brian encouraged.

Beau gently pushed away the quilt with his nose then nudged the sleeping girl. Bree mumbled a little but didn’t wake up.

“Again, Beau,” Brian urged. The dog gently nudged Bree with his nose.

“Beau?” Bree whispered sleepily. Beau moaned. “What’s wrong?” Beau pushed her toward the bed.

“Hey, Squirt,” Brian quietly called out.

“Dada?”

“Climb up here, baby girl,” Justin said.

Bree shuffled her way toward the bed, grey bunny in her hand. She scampered up onto the bed, mindful of her Dada’s leg and trying not to bounce her Daddy’s arm off the pillows. She snuggled in between her dads, yawned, mumbled ‘I love you’ then fell fast asleep. The boys kissed her sleep flushed cheeks then each other.

“I love you,” Justin whispered.

“Love you, Sunshine.”

The boys settled back into a peaceful sleep.

Beau stood up to observe his family on the bed. He sniffed at the air, sensing peace and contentment. He laid down on Bree’s quilt, satisfied that his family was okay, and went to sleep.

And that’s how John found them all the next morning.



*****



“Bobby, look at this,” John whispered after he had found the door to Brian and Justin’s bedroom open.

“What?” Bobby said as he joined his husband in the doorway. Bobby chuckled at the sight before him. “I guess the family needed to be together after their separation.”

The two men stood looking at the peaceful scene. Bree was snuggled into Justin’s good side while his bad arm was propped on a pillow. Brian’s arm lay across Bree’s tummy like he needed to have contact with her. Beau was curled up on a quilt on the floor. Beau raised his head at the intrusion.

“Come on, Beau,” John whispered. “Time to go out.”

Beau got up and shook himself then trotted out of the bedroom. His job in there was done. He headed for the sun porch to go out and do his business.

John pulled the door part way closed. “Let’s make them a huge breakfast. They’re all going to be hungry.”

“Good idea,” Bobby said, and they headed for the kitchen.



*****



“Unh,” Brian groaned as he attempted to move his leg. His foot was caught in the covers and it twisted the sprained ankle making him moan in pain.

“Dada, what’s wrong?” Bree asked hearing her father’s groan.

“My ankle is caught in the covers,” Brian said trying to decide how he could extricate it without making it hurt more.

“I’ll fix it,” Bree volunteered. She crawled to end of the bed and hopped down. She went to her Dada’s side of the bed. Carefully she started to peel the sheets back until her father’s leg was free. “There, Dada,” she said proudly.

“Thank you, Squirt, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

Bree beamed at him. It made Brian’s heart clench, knowing how impatient he had been with her the previous day.

“You’re welcome, Dada. Thank you for letting me sleep with you and Daddy. I couldn’t sleep by myself. I was worried.”

“You shouldn’t worry, sweetheart,” Justin said having woken up when Bree climbed out of the bed. “Come give me a hug.”

Bree walked around to her Daddy’s side of the bed. She stood in front of him waiting till he swung his legs over the side of the bed. When he was positioned so he wouldn’t hurt his shoulder he pulled Bree into a hug.

“You feel better today?” Bree asked as she gently returned his hug.

“Much.”

“Me too,” Brian said. “I could use a hug too.”

Happily Bree walked around the bed again. Her Dada’s open arms awaited her. She walked into them carefully watching where his bad foot was and making sure not to step on it. Her beautiful smile lit up the bedroom just the way her Daddy’s did.

“Love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt. I’m sorry I was so grumpy yesterday.”

“It’s okay, Dada. I get grumpy when I don’t feel good too.”

Brian chuckled. “Just like me.”

“She’s so much like you,” Justin said watching the make up session between his two favorite people.

Brian beamed at his husband. Brian’s smile was pretty radiant too.

“I smell bacon,” Bree said still held in her Dada’s hug. “I’m hungry.”

“Me too,” Justin agreed. “I could eat a horse.”

“No horses for you, Sunshine,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

Justin shook his head at his poor choice of words. “We need to shower and get dressed. You do the same, Bree. And then we can meet in the kitchen for one of Uncle John’s and Uncle Bobby’s famous breakfasts.”

“I’ve had their breakfasts forever since you were gone,” Bree informed them.

“I suppose you have,” Brian said realizing how long it had been since they had had a family breakfast.

“I like your breakfasts, Dada,” Bree stated.

“Me too,” Justin agreed.

“But your uncles are cooking, and we’re going to enjoy it totally,” Brian declared. “Right, troops?”

“Right, Dada.”

“Right, my big smoosh.”

“Good then let’s get cleaned up.”

Bree grabbed her grey bunny and her quilt and ran out of the room. Brian and Justin gingerly made their way to the shower where they could help each other wash under the warm water.



*****



A short time later the whole family was seated around the big table in the sun porch. John and Bobby had whipped up bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes and toast. Bree sat between her daddies looking happy and contented with her place in the world. Brian and Justin also wore calm smiles, so different from their demeanor the previous day. Everyone had stuffed their faces for the first few minutes, too hungry to talk.

“That was delicious, guys,” Justin said wiping his mouth.

“Really great,” Brian agreed.

“Very good, Unca John, Unca Bobby,” Bree decreed.

“I made the toast,” Patrick said glumly. He wanted his share of the glory for the yummy breakfast.

“You done good, my Patrick,” Bree said with a smile for her cousin and best friend.

“Thanks,” Patrick said, happy to be recognized for his part in the breakfast, especially by Bree.

“So, are you guys going to tell us what the hell happened in Hawaii that brought you home in this condition?” John asked as they sat back sipping their coffee. He pointed to the crutches and Justin’s shoulder.

“We were … kind of klutzy,” Justin volunteered.

“Klutzy?” John asked skeptically. “When have you guys ever been klutzy?”

When Brian didn’t say anything, Justin continued. “You’ll understand this, Patrick,” he said looking at his nephew.

Patrick looked back at his uncle. “Understand what, Uncle Justin?” he asked with a frown.

“I got my dislocated shoulder when I fell off a runaway horse.”

“A horse?” Patrick asked his eyes getting big.

“Yeah, we went for a ride on the estate where we were staying.”

“You stayed at an estate?” Bobby asked in surprise.

“Yeah,” Brian said, a bit of his grumpiness returning since they were being forced to talk about their injuries and the less than glamorous way they had occurred. “Aren’t we allowed to stay at an estate?”

“Whoa,” Bobby said. “You can stay wherever you want. I’m just surprised, that’s all. I thought you’d be at a luxury hotel.”

“We wanted privacy,” Brian stated.

“And did you get it?” John asked.

“Except for several trips to the ER.”

“Several?”

“It’s a long story,” Brian said with a sigh. “I’m sure you’ll hear it so many times this weekend at the barbecue that you’ll be sick of it,” Brian added.

“Speaking of the barbecue,” John said since the topic had come up. “I spoke to Emmett last night after you turned in. I told him we could cancel, but he wanted me to check with you one more time. Do you want to have the barbecue? We can make other plans,” John offered.

“We told you in the car that the barbecue was on,” Brian said testily.

“Don’t bite my head off,” John cautioned giving his brother a warning look. There was only so much he was prepared to put up with.

“I didn’t mean to,” Brian said quickly. “We said it was okay.”

“And then you both were exhausted last night. I want to make sure you haven’t changed your mind,” John explained.

Brian looked at Justin studying his husband’s eyes to see if Justin wanted to cancel the barbecue.

“Everyone will want to see us,” Justin said. “We should do it. I feel much better today than I did last night.”

“So do I,” Brian agreed.

“So we’re good?” John asked.

“Yeah.”

“Then I’ll give Emmett a call in a few minutes.

“How did you hurt your ankle, Uncle Bri?” Patrick asked.

“Tree root.”

“Huh?”

“A fucking tree root leapt up and tripped me,” Brian stated.

Patrick’s eyes almost popped out of his head, John laughed heartily, Bobby spewed the coffee he was drinking, Justin shook his head at his silly spouse and Bree started to giggle uncontrollably. Brian sat back and watched the effects of his handiwork. In spite of a sprained ankle, he hadn’t lost his touch. He was very pleased with himself.



*****



“Here,” John said to Brian as he handed him two white tablets and a glass of juice. Brian looked at the tablets then arched a brow at his brother. “Just aspirin, they’ll help with the pain and the swelling. Bobby’s going to rewrap your bandage in a few minutes.”

“What makes him an expert?”

“You mean aside from the fact we have a son who loves to play ball, ride a dirt bike through the woods like Evel Knievel and thinks he’s part monkey? Bobby’s taped up many a foot as a player and as a coach. Now quit bitchin’ and take the damn aspirin.”

“Yes, sir,” Brian said accepting the pills and the juice. John pulled up a chair and sat next to his brother who was resting on a chaise in the garden.

“‘Splain to me why you’re still snapping at us like an asshole. The only reason I haven’t broken your other leg is that you apologized to your daughter. Now, spill!”

“It’s not broken. But I sorta wish it was; it would heal faster.”

“I know but that doesn’t tell me why you still have a bug up your ass.” John waited while Brian worked up the nerve to express himself. “Brian, I love you, I’m not here to judge you but you’re obviously upset and it’s not because you’re hurting.”

“I fucked up,” Brian finally said.

“How?”

Brian then told his brother in detail about their vacation, minus the pain-free sexy bits.

“Holy fucking shit! You’re both lucky to be alive! But I still don’t understand why you think that you fucked up. You had accidents. A bunch of bad accidents, I’ll grant you, but they were just accidents. Why do you think they’re your fault?”

“Because I should have taken him home right after he got so badly sunburned! Instead I thought we could salvage the rest of the honeymoon so we stayed. I should have packed up and booked the next flight out.” Brian looked devastated. “It was all my fault. He never should have gotten on that horse, he could have been...”

John immediately went to Brian’s side to give him a comforting hug. He held onto his brother until Brian’s breathing became regular and he was ready to listen to reason.

“Brian, did Justin ask to go home early?” Brian shook his head. “He’s an adult; he’s not that young kid. Justin knows his mind and he isn’t afraid to speak up. If Justin thought for one minute it was a bad idea to stay he would have booked the return flight himself. Now, try to pull yourself together. We’re going to have a million people here tomorrow. You need to chill.”

“Is that an order from the older brother?” Brian quipped with a little touch of sarcasm.

“Yes, it is,” John replied.

“What are you two huddled about?” Bobby asked as he came out of the sun porch door. He had a new wrap for Brian’s foot in his hand. He sat in the chair that John had vacated and began to remove the old wrap. He began to gently massage Brian’s foot.

“Just trying to whip my brother into shape. How’s Justin?” Bobby had tended to Justin’s arm as well.

“He’s fine. I set him up with a bunch of small canvases. He’s painting miniatures. We also called my orthopedist. You both have an appointment Tuesday morning in Harrisburg, I’ll drive,” Bobby stated in a tone that brooked no argument.

The brothers Kinney glanced at each other and shrugged.

“He told me about the ‘mishaps’. And in spite of them all, he wants to go back,” Bobby confided. “He’d like to make it a family trip, maybe next winter just before the holidays.”

“He wants to go back?” Brian asked incredulously.

“Yes, he does. He loved the estate and Angelica and Henry. Personally, I think it’s a great idea. How does that feel?” Bobby asked Brian. He had wrapped up Brian’s ankle better than any doctor and had distracted Brian at the same time.

“It feels great!” Brian exclaimed.

“Good. You’re not ready for Babylon but at least you’ll be comfortable.”

“I think you missed your calling. Maybe you should have been a doctor like your father,” Brian observed.

“Nah, I like being a lawyer. Besides, you listen to me better than you listen to your doctor. Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah, would you mind bringing me my laptop and the camera we took to Hawaii? I want to upload the pictures and make them into a little presentation for some family entertainment,” Brian snarked.

“It’ll be my pleasure,” Bobby said as he stood up.

“I’ll help you, I know where he keeps the cable,” John said. “And I’ll bring you some more juice or would you prefer iced tea?”

“Iced tea. And guys,” Brian said. John and Bobby turned around. “Thank you.”
The boys smiled at Brian then went back into the cottage to get Brian’s computer.

“You know, you are a genius, Bobby Morrison,” John said as they passed Justin humming to himself as he painted. Justin was working on small canvases that were about the size of a sheet of paper. He had a small palette resting on a table where he could mix small daubs of paint.

“Yep!” Bobby said with a grin. John kissed his cheek just before they went upstairs to fetch Brian’s computer.



*****



The remainder of the day was quiet at the cottage. John and Bobby made lunch as the kids helped to set the table. They ate a light lunch in the porch with the sounds of the birds in the background. Brian and Justin were very grateful for the peace and quiet. It was some time after lunch when John and Bobby decided to start setting up the tables in the yard and garden. Patrick was helping his dads. Bree was happy to ‘nurse’ her fathers.

Brian, with his leg propped up on pillows, was putting the finishing touches on his presentation. Justin was surrounded by a half dozen tropical floral paintings in various stages of completion. It was slow going, painting with one hand but with Bree helping, Justin was having a good time.

“Hi! Hi! Hi!” Emmett announced loudly as he breezed through the cottage and into the porch. He took one look at Brian and Justin and their injuries and he gasped. “What the fuck happened to you two?!” Emmett demanded to know.

“Pele wasn’t happy,” Bree answered for her dads.