- Text Size +

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 8




It being Monday and the family having nowhere pressing to be, they all decided to hover and mill about the lane enjoying the fine weather, the peacefulness and the company. The laid back atmosphere of the surroundings encouraged quiet conversation and contemplation. Normally hectic agendas were overruled for the day as the family caught up with the latest gossip or strolled the lane visiting the homes to inspect any improvements or changes made. Several excursions to Riley and Danny’s house were also made. Several of the ‘elder’ generation wanted to be around to nurse the walking or hobbling wounded.

After his rousing performance as short order cook extraordinaire, Brian was confronted by several pointing fingers directing him to sit his ass down on a chaise and elevate his aching foot. Since his foot had begun to throb, Brian saw no reason to argue with that many fingers and the family members attached to them. John brought out a chaise and placed it in a sunny spot in the garden. At Brian’s direction, John faced the chaise toward the adjacent meadow. In the distance Brian could see the peak of Emmett’s cottage roof. Brian took out of his pocket the little notepad in which, at Justin’s insistence, he had begun to sketch his ideas for the greenhouse while in Hawaii. He contemplated his drawing then began to make some modifications. Sometime later, Brian sensed a solid presence at his side.

“You keep staring at me like that and your husband is going to have another hissy fit,” Brian said half joking and half serious. The last thing Brian wanted was to get in between Ben and Michael, even if only by error or rumor. Been there, done that, had the t-shirt.

“He and Debbie are down by Emmett’s. His herb garden is overflowing so Debbie is taking some plants back home with her.”

“Mikey’s playing pack mule?”

“Something like that.” Ben sat on the edge of the chaise. “What’s this?” Ben asked indicating the pad and drawing, and showing genuine interest. Brian hesitated, feeling slightly embarrassed at his crude sketch. “It looks like a greenhouse but with the facade of another cottage,” Ben ventured, trying to encourage Brian to speak. Brian flashed a rare smile, pleased that his scribbled ideas were recognizable.

“I got the idea of having John build me a greenhouse, but I want it to look like part of the lane not like a nursery.”

“So the front is set back from the lane like your cottage and it has a stone facade also like your cottage,” Ben could see it. “And this?” Ben pointed to a rectangle.

“A side door, opposite from the sun porch door. I want to create a path that leads from here to the greenhouse that I can keep clear even if the snow drifts at the front. We’re a little more sheltered on this side than at the front of the cottage. When it snows we often use John’s door or the sun porch door to get out until we clear out the front.”

“Like during the blizzard.”

“Exactly.”

“And this circle toward the back wall?”

“An above ground pond with a waterfall, maybe some small koi. Benches around the trees.”

“Trees?”

“Tropical hibiscus that I can prune into small trees and maybe some orange and lemon trees.”

“You have this all planned out, don’t you?”

Brian slightly nodded his head. “I was hoping to help John but...” Brian looked angry and somewhat frustrated with himself.

“Maybe your leg isn’t as bad as you think. Save up your strength until he builds the thing, you’ll need it for all that planting you want to do.” Brian stared at his drawing then stared at Ben for a moment. Brian saw something like a look of longing cross the big man’s face.

“What is it? Fatherhood cutting into your nookie time?”

“There’s nothing wrong with our nookie time, thank you very much. But...”

“What?”

“Here,” Ben made a sweeping motion with his hand. “It’s so beautiful out here.”

“Why professor, you thinking of relocating?”

“Not on a permanent basis, but I wouldn’t mind having a place out here to come to in the summer and holidays. That is if the landlord wouldn’t mind giving up a couple of acres.”

“I don’t have any objections but I’d have to consult my partners. Can you afford it? John’s very reasonable but it’ll still cost a pretty penny.”

“But it’ll be worth every penny as you put it, to have someplace where you can hear yourself think. And JR would love it.”

“She might miss Curtis.”

“There’s no reason why he can’t stay for a weekend or two, as long as they behave,” Ben said in his most parental tone of voice.

Brian cracked up. “Ah, the teenage years. There’s never a dull moment.”

“Yeah, well, I’m seriously thinking of retiring or at least cutting back to one or two classes per semester. I’ve also decided to take the summer off. I’m tenured; I’ve paid my dues.”

“You’re okay?” Brian asked, sitting up in his lounge chair putting a hand on Ben’s thigh.

“I’m fine but I’m tired. I think I deserve some time off.”

“Yes, you do. You both do but I don’t see Mikey giving up his store anytime soon.”

“He won’t and I know for a fact that JR wants to take over when she’s old enough.”

“At the rate she’s maturing, I’d say she’ll be ready next week,” Brian teased.

“You’re a shit, Brian, but I have to agree. JR’s been making noises that she doesn’t want to go to college, just take over the store. Michael is so happy that he might just let her. I’ve been insisting that she at least go to junior college. She needs to get some business basics into her.”

“I agree. However, her ideas have greatly improved the store’s profitability.”

“How do you know?”

“At her insistence, Kinnetik’s been handling the advertising. Between her ideas and the ad campaign, your spouse is sitting on a goldmine. I can understand her impatience but I’ll encourage her to at least try college.”

“Thanks. So do you think John would take on my cottage?”

“We can ask him, but I have an idea about that,” Brian said as he turned the page in his book and began to draw a rough sketch.

“It’s a cottage,” Ben said as he looked over Brian’s pad.

“Duh. What if we make it bigger with several floors and suites of rooms? We make a joint venture that the family could all contribute to. This way no one person or family incurs the whole cost. You can lay claim to one set of suites, come and go as you please.”

“Like a time share?”

“I guess so but I’m not going to keep a calendar. You guys have to hash that one out for yourselves. But at least when someone wants to stay over they don’t have to always camp out in our house. Or take a chance that someone will put them up for the night.”

“Debbie’s RV does get crowded,” Ben remarked.

“And you can come up to spend a long weekend with JR or by yourselves. It'll be a good excuse for JR to spend more time with Lindsay and Candy. Come to think about it, maybe Lindsay would want in on this too. She hated to give up her cottage but she just couldn’t afford it plus buy out that bitch for the other half of their house.”

“You know this does sound doable. I bet Raphael and Hector may want a piece of this. But you may want to carefully examine the financial aspect of this.”

“Yeah, money and family do not go well together. I’ll work it out somehow. Either way, there’ll be a set of rooms that you and Mikey can call your own.”

“Thanks, Brian. I’m getting myself some water, want me to bring you a bottle?” Brian nodded with a smile as Ben got up to go inside the cottage.

“What’s got you grinning like a Cheshire cat?” John asked as he took up the space that Ben had just vacated.

“Nothing, just contemplating the way life works,” Brian retorted. “You got a minute to talk about greenhouses and cottages?” Brian said with a smirk.

John sat up straighter then replied, “The doctor is in!” The brothers laughed then Brian threw his arms around his brother, smacking John’s muscled back. “You have something to show me?” John knew from Justin that Brian had made a sketch of the greenhouse. Brian showed his brother that sketch.

“I’m impressed, little bro. You’re turning out to be a good little architect. And I can appreciate the esthetics; the structure will blend into our general theme of the lane. You know I always thought that Rachel’s house would stick out like a sore thumb on our lane but somehow surrounded by all those trees, the house fits. Now back to your greenhouse, tell me about all these squiggles and circles you’ve got going on here.”

Brian carefully tried to explain each squiggle, circle and rectangle in his rendition of the greenhouse. Ben came back with the water then joined the conversation.

“John, did he tell you about his B&B idea?” Ben teased, ignoring Brian’s scowl.

“I was just getting to that,” Brian growled then turned the page over to the newest cottage project.

“Wait! I get it,” John crowed. “And if you’d allow me to foot the cost of this cottage I can make it into a class project.” John explained further. “I’ve been approached to teach a summer class but for the life of me I couldn’t think of what I wanted to teach about and the thought of spending the summer in a classroom held very little appeal. But if I take on the greenhouse and cottage projects I can teach and still be outside where I belong. Brian, do you think I can steal your son for the summer? I’d like him to video the whole process. I can use the tape for future lectures.”

“Thought much about this?” Brian snarked in astonishment. “I have no objections but you’d have to ask Gus. I know he was planning to work at Kinnetik for the summer. And I’m sure he wanted to spend some time with Ray. And you can get this finished over the summer?”

“I’ll call him. Maybe he can use the video for some of his independent studies at PIFA,” John suggested. “I’ll even pay him. And, the greenhouse is relatively easy. I can have a separate crew work on it while you and Gordon supervise. Then I can concentrate on the larger cottage with the students.”

“You must be so proud of him,” Ben remarked with a wistful look as he returned with the water. Ben explained to John JR’s plans for herself.

“She looks up to Gus in many ways, why don’t you ask him to drop some subtle hints about college,” John suggested.

“A Kinney being subtle, interesting concept,” Ben teased. “But that’s a good idea. JR does look up to her big brother even though she won’t admit it. She even admires Bree.”

“Bree’s only eight!” Brian stated.

“Yes, but she’s a very smart and determined eight year old. She has to be being the only female amongst all of you. And I know she has you all wrapped around her little finger,” Ben said with a smile.

The Kinney brothers nodded, not bothering to deny it.

“JR admires her decisiveness. Sure she’s a little spoiled but she has a good heart, she loves her daddies and her whole family. She’s a good kid, Brian. You and Justin are good fathers.” Brian was a little overwhelmed with Ben’s praise. “John, if you’re going to use the cottage for a university project, wouldn’t they subsidize the cost?” Ben stated after a while.

“They might but then they have a say in how we use the cottage. If I foot the cost then it’s my cottage and they can’t say dick about how I use it,” John said stubbornly.

“My, my, brother John is getting ballsie in his old age,” Brian snarked.

“Hey, I got balls and I know how to use them. I just choose to be subtle about it,” John said with mock indignation.

The three men broke out into laughter then decided to stroll the lane to look over the landscape that would soon be altered.

“Are you really up for this?” Brian asked John as they stared at the empty field.

“I am but we should talk it over with Justin and Bobby. We have to all agree about the new cottage.”

“Brian, you might be giving up some of your privacy,” Ben warned.

“Maybe, but I think all of our children will benefit from the experience. And I’m not blind to looks you all get on your faces sometimes when you visit. You all wish you had a quiet place to come to once in a while. As for privacy, believe it or not, that big fairy doesn’t always barge in when he and his men stay at their cottage.”

“You rang, O grumpy one?” Emmett asked right on cue. He had helped load up Debbie’s RV with selected plants that included herbs and tomato plants. He was curious about what the guys were talking about.

“Emm, what would you think about having half of Pittsburgh visiting here but staying in their own cottage? A private bed and breakfast between your place and my new greenhouse.” Brian pointed to the general location of the planned structures.

“Oooo!” Emmett clapped bouncing in place. “I’d say, bring it on!”

“We still need to consult with the rest of the lane but I do think it’s a good idea,” John said.

“Then let’s discuss it over lunch,” Brian suggested as he turned on crutches and began to hobble back to Edna’s Treasures.



*****



While Emmett was organizing lunch, he kept the troops away from John’s end of Edna’s Treasures. The official inhabitants of the lane were all in a deep powwow to discuss the new cottage. No one voiced objections, on the contrary, everyone was pleased that visiting family would have a temporary home to call their own.

Molly, who had the smallest of all the homes on the lane was especially happy about the ‘bed and breakfast.’ She didn’t mind hosting her parents or Owen’s parents once in a while but by design, her cottage had only two bedrooms. And they were occupied. Visitors had to use the futon in the main living area. Her father found it a little disconcerting since the door to her cottage was all glass. It felt like the whole world was looking in. Beau’s appearance, staring through the glass on his patrols, startled Craig on more than one occasion. After living day to day in the fish bowl of Pittsburgh’s society, Molly’s little cottage was her safe haven.

Rachel and George were all for it, as was Drew, who was speaking for himself and Emmett. Drew didn’t mind putting the guys up for a night or two but longer than that grated on his nerves. Their cottage was Emmett’s dream cottage and that dream did not include roommates.

“Brian, Ben does have a point regarding the loss of privacy,” Justin counseled. “I can see Ben being happy to sit in his own quiet backyard with a good book, but Michael will think it his right to visit with you every chance he gets.”

“Then we’ll have to set some boundaries when we declare open house,” Brian replied.

“You know, I like the idea for the mere fact that more often than not, Rachel is the only one out here during the day,” George chimed in, putting his arm around his feisty wife. “We are off the beaten path which is the main attraction but that means it takes longer to reach us out here in an emergency. We’ve been fortunate that we’ve never experienced a big emergency.”

“Other than that fire,” Justin reminded them of the vandalism that almost wrecked Emmett’s cottage.

“But you do have a point, when we’re all at work and the kids in school, Rachel’s the only one on the lane,” Justin said. Beau gave a little ‘woof.’ “I stand corrected,” Justin said as they all chuckled. He bent down to give the big dog a hug. “The only human on the lane,” Justin qualified his statement.

“What about this idea that John foots the bill,” Brian asked with a scowl. “If the family is going to use the building, they should contribute to it.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Bobby began. “We can afford it and if John uses the cottage as a learning tool he’ll be able to get a tax credit. And I’m sure the family will want to contribute to the upkeep in other ways, if not monetary. We’ll work it out,” Bobby assured his in-laws.

“Okay, then we’re agreed,” Brian said after some thought. The families of the lane all nodded in agreement.

“Helloooo!” Emmett called out as he approached the door from the sun porch. “Is your meeting over?”

“Yes, it is, babe,” Drew said as he put his arm around his lover then pecked Emmett’s lips.

“And the outcome?”

“We’re about to be invaded on a semi-permanent basis,” Brian snarked.

“Oooo! Company; I like it,” Emmett said as he clapped his hands. “Now that these decisions have been made, lunch is served.”

The family followed Emmett out to the porch to enjoy lunch with the rest of the family.



*****



“Son, are you sure you don’t want me to stay. Danny can do without me for a few days. I can see that your leg is bothering you,” Joan asked as Brian and Bree walked with her to Jennifer and Seth’s car. Although she had ridden up with Danny and Riley, they were going to stay another day or two at their cottage, so Joan was going back to Pittsburgh with Jennifer and Seth.

“I’ll be fine, Mom. Rachel’s here and Molly is staying for the week. Justin and I have a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday,” Brian responded. “Besides, you all cooked enough food to last us for weeks.”

The ladies and Emmett had prepared lots of easy meals then packed them away in the freezer.

“Okay, if you’re sure.”

“I’m sure, Mom. And I have General Squirt here to take care of me,” Brian said as he beamed a smile down at his daughter. Bree beamed her sunny smile back up at her father.

“I’ll take good care of Dada and Daddy, Gamma. I promise.”

“Of that I have no doubt,” Joan replied. “All right, I see that I’m outnumbered but you will call me to tell me what the doctor says. Or, if you need me to come out here, I will,” she said in a tone that brooked no argument.

“I promise,” Brian said sounding so much like Bree that Joan had to smile. She got into the car as Jennifer and Seth were passing out kisses to Justin and Bree.

The families of the lane gathered in front of the Edna’s Treasures cottage to watch the rest of the families caravan their way down the lane toward the gate. Molly, Owen with little Taylor in tow, walked back to their cottage. Rachel and George went back to their house. Emmett was busy giving the cottage one last inspection, as well as the garden. When he was satisfied that Edna’s Treasure was once again as pristine as ever, he joined his men for the walk back to their own cottage.

The lane was quiet once more.



*****



It was hours before sunset; Patrick persuaded Bree to play catch for a while with him. She bargained and made him promise to kick around a soccer ball after. Beau didn’t care what the kids were playing, he was happy just to have the chance of chasing a ball around the yard.

John had gone into architect mode, sitting at his drafting table, happily drawing plans for the greenhouse and his family cottage. He called Gordon and key members of their crews to consult with them but first apologized for disrupting their holiday. Bobby relaxed on the sofa in their office, shaking his head in amusement at his spouse. Resigned again at being a ‘cottage widow,’ he took out a brief to review.

With Brian’s help setting up his easels, Justin decided to take advantage of the afternoon to work on his mini canvases. He quickly found himself engulfed in the vibrant colors of Hawaii. Brian, with his crutches, walked back outside.

“I think I might miss some of this wilderness,” Emmett said seriously as he stood next to his friend. He had wandered back up to Edna’s Treasures to make sure the injured were doing okay.

“I thought you went back home,” Brian said quietly.

“I did. Drew’s taking a nap and Richie is working on a paper. I came back to take another look at your drawing. I wanted to see the greenhouse and new cottage from your perspective.”

“My perspective?”

“Yes. You see the world differently than most people, Mr. Kinney. You see potential, whether it’s in a person, a business or in a place. I’ve learned a lot from you over the years, even when I’m annoying the shit out of you.” Emmett’s tone was low, without flamboyance. He rarely used this voice but when he did it commanded attention. It was the same voice he used when he once begged Brian to help out Ted and when he talked about his mentor Godiva.

“That’s pretty deep for an old fairy.”

“Yes, well, I do know a thing or two about going deep.”

“Spare me.” They stood shoulder to shoulder looking over the meadow. “I think something’s up with Ben and Michael.”

“I got that impression. But we shouldn’t interfere.”

“I can’t believe you just said that.”

“I’ve seen the results of when good intentions go wrong. Michael becomes easily suspicious and Ben, he still thinks you’re competition.”

“I’ve done nothing to warrant it.”

“The very act of you breathing warrants it but if they do become our neighbors even if only for short periods, they’ll both have to get over it or it might tear them apart.” Brian had no response.

Just then a ball came flying in the air to land not too far in front of the men.

“Sorry, Dada,” Bree called out as she ran past them to retrieve the ball. She picked up the ball then ran back into the yard toward Patrick.

“They won’t be able to play ball on this side of the house once the greenhouse goes up,” Emmett remarked.

“The kids will adjust. We’ll still have a lot more open fields even when the new buildings are built.”

“I suppose you’re right. Do you think it’s serious whatever’s happening with Michael?”

“I hope not. Besides, I have my own problems to worry about," Brian said as he leaned on his crutches. "And I’ve been told that I can’t fix everything that’s wrong in our family. I have no intentions of getting myself sucked up into whatever’s going on with those two. With my luck it’ll backfire and I’ll be the one to get burned,” Brian stated.

“People who live in glass houses...”

“Yeah,” Brian said with a huff.

-tbc-

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked There's No Place Like Home also liked 552 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is It's All Down Hill From Here. The next story in the series is Glass Houses.