- Text Size +

 

Mayor Kinney

* 38 *

Brian and Michael stretched out on the bed with their shoulders propped up on the pillows. They ate most of the bucket of chicken. Once Brian had gotten rid of the alcohol in his system the chicken didn't taste so bad. He couldn't remember the last time he had eaten anything.

After eating in silence for awhile Michael said, "Brian, I meant what I said. It's time to go home."

Brian shook his head. "No."

"You can't stay in this hotel room forever. You have a job to do."

"The city's better off without me," Brian said stubbornly.

"How the fuck do you figure that?"

"Cynthia and Geoffrey will keep things running. They don't need me. They can make better decisions than I can."

"Would they have done anything differently about the homeless?" Michael asked pointedly.

"I … I don't know. Maybe."

"I doubt it," Michael said firmly. "Besides the people elected you, not Cynthia and Geoffrey."

"The masses have notoriously poor judgment. Look at what's in the White House."

"You won't get an argument on that one, but they chose you … over Stockwell, over the other candidates who tried to take his place. You have almost a year left to make them see that their choice was a good one."

"You think it was a good choice?" Brian asked a little awkwardly.

"Of course I do. Why would you even ask that?"

"I haven't seen much of you since the election."

Now it was Michael's turn to look sheepish. "That's true, but I … I wasn't sure how much you wanted me around. You have a whole new circle of friends."

"No, Mikey, I have a whole new circle of acquaintances. I still have the same friends."

Michael smiled at him. "I'll remember that."

Brian looked at Michael. He wouldn't have let anyone else into the room. He didn't want anybody to see him like he had been, but he could trust Michael. He always could.

"Brian, it's time to go home," Michael repeated softly.

"No."

"Yes, you have to go back."

"I don't have to do anything," Brian said belligerently.

"You're right. You don't have to, but I never thought you were a quitter. All those times your old man beat you up, all the times you worked your ass off to get the best marks to make a different kind of life for yourself, all the times you stayed up all night working to make the best presentation for a client. You were never a quitter then."

"I'm not a quitter. I just don't want to do it anymore."

"What's the difference? You're giving up."

"So?"

"I thought you were better than that. Rage would never give up."

"I'm not Rage."

"But you are."

"Is that why you're here, Zephyr, to save me?"

Michael nodded. "I'm trying."

"You don't need to."

"I think I do. It's my karma to save you whenever you need it."

Brian snorted. "I knew you had been hanging around the good professor too long."

"Rage was based on you. You did … you do … stand for something … to all of us. Don't give up, Brian. There was nothing you could have done for that woman."

"Her name's Angela."

"There was nothing you could do for Angela. She made the choice to stay in the cold. You can't fix everything."

"I thought that was what being mayor entailed. I did try."

"I know you did, but not everything is within your control. Nobody will blame you. In fact, they should thank you. If you hadn't opened those arenas there might have been a lot more people who died in the cold."

Brian stared at Michael. Michael knew from long experience that this was one of those times when he shouldn't say any more. He could see that Brian was processing what he had told him. If Michael said anything else he ran the risk of tipping the scales one way or the other and usually it went the wrong way. The best thing he could do was be silent and wait and hope Brian made the right decision.

Finally Brian sighed. "So, Zeph, are you going to drive me home?"

Michael grinned and nodded. "But not until you put some clothes on."

Brian got up from the bed and gathered up his suit. It was a wrinkled mess where he had thrown it on the floor. He hated the thought of putting it on again but he had nothing else to wear.

As he carried it to the bathroom he turned to look at Michael who was gathering up the chicken bones and used napkins and throwing them into the empty bucket. "Mikey, thanks," he said softly.

"Any time. You're my best friend. I'd do anything for you."

Brian closed the bathroom door wondering how he was ever going to face Justin.

-----

Justin raced up the stairs to the loft. Michael had returned to the comic book store with the 'Vette and no Brian. Justin had felt cold deep inside when Michael had walked into the store alone. Michael had failed. Brian was still lost.

It didn't take Michael long to explain what had happened. He had left Brian at the loft. The man wanted to change his clothes and shave before he saw Justin. Justin could barely believe his ears. Michael had got Brian to come home. He hugged Michael and thanked him and then ran to the car getting to the loft as quickly as he could. His greatest fear was that Brian might decide to take off again once Michael left him alone.

He threw back the door to the loft and looked around the apartment. No one was there. He felt fear grip his heart.

"Brian," he called hoping the man was still there somewhere hidden from view.

"Up here," Brian replied from the bathroom.

Justin arrived at the door to the bathroom his feet hardly touching the floor all the way there. Brian had shaving cream all over his face and a razor in his hand. Justin thought he had never seen anything so beautiful.

"Brian," he breathed, his voice all soft and mushy. He could feel the tears behind his eyes. He didn't want to cry but he wasn't sure he could stop himself.

"It's me," Brian said rather sheepishly. "I'm surprised you even want to talk to me after the way I treated you."

"You're here. That's all that matters."

"I shouldn't have been so mean to you. I … I was in a bad place."

Justin nodded. He understood that place and what had happened, but it seemed to be over now. He didn't want to dwell on the bad stuff. Brian had come back, his Brian, not the stranger from the hotel room.

"Are you all right?" Justin asked.

Brian shrugged. "I'm better than I was. All right? I don't know."

"I want to kiss you," Justin said softly.

"I'm all yours," Brian said holding out his arms.

Justin launched himself into Brian. His arms went around the man's neck and he pressed against him with all the force he could muster. His legs wrapped around Brian's waist. His lips found Brian's and he chewed at them hungrily. A moan and a sigh escaped his mouth as he refused to let Brian go. Finally they both needed air and the kiss ended leaving them breathless and panting.

Justin wiped at his mouth tasting shaving cream where it had worked its way onto his lips. "Yuck," he exclaimed.

"Do I taste that bad?"

"Just the shaving cream. Wipe it off."

"But I need to get rid of this scruff," Brian protested still holding the razor.

"Later," Justin stated firmly and grabbed a towel. He proceeded to wipe all the cream from Brian's face. "Much better," Justin said. His lips found Brian's. They kissed using tongues and teeth and suction. Justin felt his cock throb against Brian's. "Let's get out of these clothes," he said.

Brian threw off Justin's jacket and pulled his shirt over his head. The sight of Justin's naked chest went straight to his cock. He felt his cock rise and fill. He had been so stupid. He could never survive without Justin. The boy had become such a part of his life that he didn't know where he began and Justin took over. They were intertwined in such a way that it was impossible to think of existence without him.

Brian groaned, partly from his realization of how his life depended on this man in his arms but also from the grinding that Justin was doing against his groin. He felt Justin pull at the buttons of his jeans. In a flash they were both naked.

"I love you," Justin said as he took Brian's hand and led him to their bed.

Justin slid onto the bed leaning against the pillows. He opened his legs and held out his arms for Brian to join him.

Brian hung back. He wanted this. He wanted to make love to Justin. He wanted to be one with his lover, his friend, his savior. He wanted the feel and the touch and the taste of Justin to obliterate all the hurt and pain he had been feeling. But he also knew that he owed Justin an explanation. He wanted to tell the boy what had happened, wanted to make him understand.

"I need to tell you something," Brian said slowly.

"Later," Justin replied reaching out farther to pull Brian to him.

Brian moaned and wanted to acquiesce. "No," he managed to get out. "I need to say this before we do anything else. You have to know some things."

Justin sat up on the bed. He wanted Brian so bad. He wanted him in him and on him and wrapped around him, but obviously Brian felt they needed to discuss what had happened.

"Okay," he said, "but know that I'm going to make you pay for making me wait."

"I'll take my chances," Brian said with a grin.

"So spill."

"I don't know what came over me when I heard about Angela's death. I felt like I had failed, that everything I had done as mayor was useless. I had to escape … that feeling."

Justin nodded. "I understand."

Strangely Brian knew that he did. "I couldn't talk to anyone about it. There was nothing to say." Justin nodded again. "I'm sorry about what I said to you and about slamming the door in your face."

"That hurt, Brian."

"I know," Brian said sadly, "and instead of telling me to fuck off and going on with your life you went and asked Michael to come and talk some sense into me. You are so … incredible." Brian shook his head in amazement at what Justin would do for him.

"I love you in case you haven't noticed. I want you to be well and happy. I don't want you to suffer. I'd do anything to help you, Brian."

"I know that now. That's why my turning on you is so hard to stomach. I should have known better. I should never have done that."

"Okay," Justin said matter-of-factly. "You've done the mea culpas. Now come fuck me."

Brian chuckled, and then a growl escaped the man's throat. It sent goose bumps all over Justin's body and he felt his cock spring to attention. "I have a better idea," Brian stated.

Justin looked at him wondering what could be better than fucking. Brian had that silly little grin on his face. "Oh," said Justin as the light dawned. "I always said you have the best ideas."

Brian crawled onto the bed. He licked and kissed his way up Justin's pale skin till he reached the luscious lips that waited, parted in anticipation for him. He ravaged Justin's mouth, sucking and licking and probing every nook and cranny. Nobody tasted like his Justin and he could never get enough.

He rubbed his beard stubble over Justin's breasts eliciting moans and gasps. He felt his cock trapped between Justin's legs. It was so hard it hurt and he knew he needed more.

"Are you ready?" Brian asked.

"Always … for you. Roll over."

Brian rolled onto his stomach. Justin ran his hands down Brian's back. He could feel the skin ripple beneath his touch. He sighed in total satisfaction. Brian was his and he was Brian's. They belonged together. They would always find their way to each other regardless of what happened.

His lips followed his hands. He licked down Brian's spine feeling each hard protrusion stopping to suck on some. He reached Brian's tight ass and sighed again. Brian looked over his shoulder at the sound. Justin smiled an evil little grin and bent to take a nip out of one ass cheek. Brian whimpered and stared at Justin. The pink tongue came out to lick the injured spot. It felt cool and soothing and very erotic. Justin took a nip from the other cheek and repeated his ministrations. Brian wiggled beneath him rubbing the rod of steel trapped beneath him against the sheets hoping to find some relief.

"Stay still," Justin commanded. "I'll take good care of you." Brian knew he would.

He felt Justin shift on top of him and then that tongue licked across his hole. He raised his head and groaned wanting more. The tongue probed and licked and sucked at the tight little knot.

"Please," Brian whimpered before he could stop himself.

Justin smiled. He stiffened his tongue and jabbed again and again. Brian clutched the sheets and bit the pillow to stop himself from screaming. God, he wanted Justin inside him right now.

He heard the condom packet rip open and felt lube on his hole. Fingers rammed in and he screamed Justin's name.

"I'm right here, and this is going to be so good. Justin's fingers raked in and out fucking him with each thrust. Brian felt like he wanted to come and tried to force it back.

"Justin," he begged.

Justin stopped and let the man regain some control. Suddenly he felt Justin's well endowed cock breach the outer ring of muscle. He rose up off the bed and let out the most primal growl that either of them had ever heard. Justin waited and then thrust part way in. Another thrust and he was home. He stopped and leaned against Brian's neck.

"This is where I want to be, and where we belong. Don't you ever forget that again. Don't ever run away from me."

"I didn't forget. I just couldn't deal with it."

"Just so you know, I will always come after you. I'll do anything it takes to be with you. I love you."

"I'll never doubt you, Justin. I hope you won't have to doubt me either."

Justin knew that was as close to a declaration of love as he was likely to get. He thrust forcefully into his man. He would show Brian with his actions how much he loved him. When he was through there would be no doubt. Thrust followed thrust. They had their own rhythm that led to the ultimate pleasure. Justin torqued his hips sometimes searching for the spot that made Brian cry out in pleasure. The ride was long and hard and sweet.

Justin felt his balls draw up and knew he was close. Sweat dripped from his forehead and his breathing was raspy and short. Brian was in no better shape.

Justin reached under Brian's hips and pulled them up. His hand found the throbbing member and he jacked the man off in time with his thrusts. Brian panted and moaned and bucked beneath him. Suddenly Justin felt Brian stiffen and emit a guttural growl. The cock in his hand pulsed and shot wave after wave of jizz. Brian's ass clamped around Justin's dick and he was lost. Fire shot through his balls and he filled the condom as his body jerked in orgasm. The blinding light behind his eyes filled him with heat and satisfaction. The next thing he knew he was gasping for air lying on Brian's back with his dick still up Brian's ass.

They both groaned. Justin kissed Brian's ear and slowly pulled out rolling off the man and disposing of the condom. He felt Brian turn over and pull the covers over them. Strong arms came around him and they slept in each other's arms.

-----

Dirt landed on the coffin. The final part of the service. "Dust to dust". Justin squeezed Brian's hand. Angela had been laid to rest thanks to the generous donations of citizens who wanted her to have a burial better than what her life had been.

"It's over," Brian said as they moved away from the grave.

"Yeah," Justin agreed. "Over."

"Too bad the people who donated money to bury her couldn't have done something to help her live."

Justin nodded. Life didn't attract nearly the attention that a tragic death did.

"Brian," a voice said from behind them.

They both turned to see who had spoken. It was Adam Pritchard.

"Hi, Adam," Brian said extending his hand. "I didn't know you were going to be here."

"I didn't either," Adam admitted. "It just seemed the right thing to do. She was one of us," Adam said still lumping himself with the homeless.

"Not anymore…for you," Justin said. "I'm glad to see you looking so well."

"Thanks, Justin."

They walked in silence towards the row of cars that lined the cemetery driveway. Suddenly a camera crew from a local TV station appeared out of nowhere. Someone stuck a microphone in Brian's face and demanded a comment on Angela's life and death.

Brian wanted to tell them to fuck off, but he bit his tongue and plastered on his best public face. "Angela lived a hard life. At least she had a decent burial thanks to the generous citizens of Pittsburgh."

"How much was donated?" the reporter asked.

"At last tally it stood at nine thousand and twenty-eight dollars."

"Did the funeral use all of that?"

"I don't think so," Brian said. "We'll have to check and see what's left over. Maybe some charity can make use of the rest of it."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor."

"At least she didn't ask me about Angela's death. I don't think I'm ready to talk about that even now," Brian said. He had never released Justin's hand since they had got out of the limo when they had arrived.

As they approached the car again Adam caught up to them. "I have an idea I'd like to run by you," he told Brian. "Can I come to see you tomorrow morning?"

"Sure. Come about ten. I'll make time."

They got in the limo which drove away. Justin leaned against Brian.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" he asked.

"Bad enough. I don't know why I let myself be talked into going back to this fucking job."

"Because it's the right thing to do and you're good at it."

"I couldn't do it without you."

"Don't you forget that."

"I won't, little twat," Brian said with a chuckle.

He was almost back to normal. Justin breathed a sigh of relief.

-----

Adam Pritchard arrived right at ten o'clock the next day. Brian was glad to see him and interested to see what he wanted.

"I had an idea about what to do with the extra money from Angela's funeral. I thought it might be something fitting to her memory and might do some good for the street people."

"So what's your idea?" Brian asked.

"Remember when I had the chance to get the job I have now and you loaned me a hundred dollars to get a room so I could clean up and look presentable?"

"I remember … and you paid me back."

"That hundred dollars probably made more of a difference in my life than any amount of money I ever earned," Adam said sincerely.

"So?" Brian asked wondering where Adam was going with this.

"What if we set up the Angela Dubkowski Fund with the remaining money, and gave out a hundred dollars at a time to street people who need to clean up and try to restart their lives. They would be expected to pay it back when they can."

Brian liked the idea the moment he heard it. But a thought occurred to him. "How will we know if someone is sincere or just trying to rip off the hundred bucks?"

"There's no way to know that for certain, but there could be an interview. Someone at the shelters could run the fund. Even if it is a scam to some people they would get a good night's sleep out of it."

"That's true," Brian said. "But I think you should run it, Adam, in conjunction with the shelters. You could offer to see people an hour a day, or two or three times a week. You have good judgment about that kind of thing … and lots of experience." Brian smiled.

"I'd like that."

"I'll announce it at a press conference and we'll set up the plan. All the shelters will get information about it. It could do some real good."

"Exactly," Adam said proudly.

"And make Angela's death not be in vain."

Brian smiled to himself. Sometimes being mayor wasn't so bad.