- Text Size +

 

Mayor Kinney

* 24 *

Robin and Demetri spent the next two days following Brian around and generally prying into everything he did.  Brian would come home at night and rant at Justin about what a nuisance they were. Justin would calmly remind him that he had given permission for them to do this.  Brian would be royally pissed off and then he would screw Justin senseless and the next day would begin anew.



Cynthia was interviewed by Robin who wanted to know why she had followed Brian from the advertising firm.  She made it very clear that Brian was an extremely smart and fair man who was also extremely difficult to work for.  But they both knew that and they got along fine as a result. She said that Brian would be totally lost without her and he agreed when Robin asked him for verification.  He added that he would deny that statement if she told anyone. Robin began to see why Cynthia liked her boss so much. She could see that although he was difficult and testy, he had a sense of humor and he inspired people to do their best because he would stand for nothing less.  He expected nothing less from himself as well. That was a man to be reckoned with.



"So, Cynthia," Robin said as they wrapped up their interview, "where do you and Brian go from here?"

"Well," Cynthia said wondering how she should answer that question, "we're here for the rest of Brian's term.  Then I guess it will depend upon what Brian chooses to do. He could run again or maybe go back into advertising, start his own company."



"He has lots of options?"

"I think that man can do anything he puts his mind to."

"You have a lot of respect for him, don't you?"

"I certainly do, and so should everyone else.  He's a tough cookie with a heart that's in the right place, but don't tell him I said that.  He'll think I'm going soft."

Robin chuckled.  Brian didn't appreciate soft, but Robin was beginning to realize there was a big softie under that tough veneer and that was why people, deep down, liked him so much.  Most of them would be afraid to tell him that though.



Robin had interviewed Geoffrey Cheeks next.  She didn't quite know what to make of the stiff, formal … prick that he appeared to be.  She wondered how Brian ever put up with him. She couldn't imagine that he would have anything good to say about Brian.  Maybe he would really give her some dirt or some juicy tidbits at least.



"So how does Brian compare to the previous mayor?" Robin asked Geoffrey.



"He doesn't," he replied.



"What does that mean?"



"That there is nothing to compare between the two," Geoffrey repeated.



God, this man could be frustrating.  "How do you like working for this mayor?"

"I enjoy my job as much as anyone does."

"But how does this particular gay mayor rate as a boss?"

"Technically he is not my boss.  I work for the city."

Jesus, this was like pulling teeth.  "Geoffrey, what do you think of Brian Kinney as a man and as the mayor of Pittsburgh?" Robin asked hoping that was blunt enough to get some kind of reaction from him.



"I think Mr. Kinney has had a steep learning curve.  He knows next to nothing about politics, but he does take guidance when he sees that it is warranted.  He is progressing along nicely in his job."



Robin sighed.  What the fuck did he just say?  "Let's be blunt," she said. "Do you like the mayor?"



"Yes."



"What?"



"I said yes."

"Would you care to explain your answer?"

"What's to explain?"

Robin gave up at that point.  She knew Geoffrey had years of experience at deflecting unwanted questions about any number of things.  Obviously he wasn't going to give her any information that would be useful for the article.



She then tried speaking to council members.  Most of them said that they were quite impressed with the new mayor.  They had been skeptical at first, but he had worked hard and had mastered his role quite quickly.  They hadn't given him a very warm reception, but he hadn't held that against them. He had merely asked them to be fair and they had agreed.  In return he had been very fair, listening to their ideas and concerns and trying to come up with solutions that would benefit everyone. They explained about asking Brian to stay on when he was going to resign.  All council members told Robin that they thought the attacks on the mayor were unwarranted and despicable. That was part of why they asked him to stay. He at least deserved a decent chance.



When she asked if there was anyone who would like to speak personally with her about the mayor, Frank Jankowski had stepped forward.  They had moved to his office space where Frank proceeded to tell her about his interaction with Brian



Robin was surprised at the easiness with which the older man accepted Brian as mayor.  He seemed to have no problem with Brian being gay. He told her about Justin and his wife getting together at the inaugural and how his wife had made him look out for Brian because she liked Justin so much.



"Justin seems to be very important to Brian," Robin said waiting to see what Frank would say in response to that.



"I think they're very important to each other.  Justin is a smart, creative young man. He's a wonderful artist."



"Is he?" Robin asked.  That had not come up in their discussions.  "What do you think about their age difference?"

"I think it's none of my business.  If they're happy together, who cares?"

Robin had thanked Frank for his candor and the information he had provided.  She was beginning to wonder what was going on. Nobody seemed to have a bad word about Brian.  That was not what she had expected. Not that she wanted to vilify him, but she had expected that he would have lots of opposition and she had been going to show how he had to fight against prejudice every day.  It seemed like she had gotten it wrong. The prejudice came from the outside, from people who didn't know Brian, from people with preconceived ideas about gays. She was going to have to reevaluate the focus of her article.



Robin went up to Brian's office.  She needed to straighten some things out and get the article's focus clear in her mind.  She waited patiently while Brian finished up a meeting with someone. All the time her brain was mulling over how people had nothing but good things to say about Brian, even to some extent, Geoffrey Cheeks.



The door to Brian's office opened.  The mayor and a middle aged lady came out of his office.  They stopped outside and the woman gave the mayor a gentle peck on the cheek.  He seemed to be blushing.



"Thank you so much," she said.



"It's nothing, Louise," he said.  "See you tomorrow night."

He quickly disappeared back into his office.  Louise smiled after him and headed for the elevators.  On an impulse Robin ran after her.



"Excuse me," she said.  "Could I speak to you for a moment?"



"Well, I … I don't know who you are," Louise said completely flustered by this very forward woman.



"Let me introduce myself.  My name is Robin Morrison. I work for Newsweek magazine and I'm here doing a story about Brian.  I couldn't help but notice that you were thanking him for something and that you gave him a kiss."



"He's very kissable," Louise said with a giggle and a blush.  "Too bad he's gay."

Robin had to smile too.  She had been thinking the same thing for the last day or so.  "Could I interview you for the article I'm doing?"

"Oh my, I don't think I'd know what to say."

"It would just be about how you know Brian and what he's like."

"Well, I hope it will be a nice article.  That poor boy has had enough problems. He doesn't need any more trouble."

"Come sit with me over here and tell me how you come to know Brian."

Robin guided Louise into the office she had been using since she arrived in Pittsburgh.  She got Louise a coffee and then asked her again about her relationship with Brian.



"I first met Brian when I was a protester outside this very building."



"What were you protesting?" Robin asked.



"Why that we had a gay mayor, of course," Louise said as if Robin was somewhat dense.



"You were protesting against Brian and I just saw you kiss him and thank him."



"That's right."

"Could you explain that to me, please," Robin asked.  This was getting curiouser and curiouser.



"My church group came here after his picture with his partner appeared in the newspaper.  They had danced at the inaugural and kissed. My church group felt it was a disgusting display.  A man from the church whom I was dating at the time kind of made me come. I didn't know anything about homosexuality, other than most people thought it was a sin.  Brian came over to our group and tried to talk to us. Most of them wouldn't listen, but he said that if anyone really wanted to know the facts about what kind of man he was they should come up to his office.  I went up and he talked to me for most of the morning." Louise glowed in triumph, like she had been vindicated.



"So, did he convert you to homosexuality?" Robin asked.



"That's not funny, young lady," Louise replied seriously.  "He explained that he loved Justin, his partner, and that he didn't mean to offend anyone.  That's just the way it is."

Robin studied this woman who was so supportive of Brian when she had started out being just the opposite.  "Why were you thanking Brian out there?"

"He agreed to come speak to my new church group tomorrow night."

"What's he going to speak about?"

"Why about being mayor and being gay.  I want them to see what a lovely man he is.  There's nothing to be afraid of, you know."

Robin chuckled.  "I know."



"The ladies in the church group will be captivated.  He's very good looking and such a gentleman."

"I guess he is," Robin said thoughtfully.  "Do I have your permission to use this story in my article?"

"I don't really see why you would want to, but I guess so."

"Thanks Louise, it was nice to meet you."

"You too," Louise replied standing and preparing to leave.  "Oh, and I meant what I said. You be nice to Brian in that article."

"I'll see what I can do."



Robin sat thinking for a few minutes before she went out to ask Cynthia if Brian could see her now.  She wondered how many other people Brian might have touched since he became mayor. There was obviously more to this man than Armani suits.



Brian said she could come in and Robin entered his office.  She stood looking at him rather quizzically.



"What's wrong?" he asked.



"Nothing's wrong.  I'm trying to figure out how to approach this article."

"I thought you had that all worked out."

"So did I."

"So what's changed?"

"You."

"Me?  What are you babbling about?"

"Every time I turn around I get a new impression of you from someone."

"I'm a man of many layers," Brian said with a smirk.



"I'm beginning to figure that out."



"What's going on?" Brian asked with a frown.  He wasn't sure he liked this scrutiny.



"You don't like people to know who you really are, do you?"

"I'll tell you a secret.  I really don't know who I am."

"I think you do, but you choose to cover up the real you with this façade of slick words and semi-obnoxious behavior."

Brian stared at her.  He didn't like the direction this was heading.  "Has something happened?" he asked.



"You could say that.  I've been hard pressed to find anyone who would say a harsh word about you."

"Then you're either asking the wrong people or I'm slipping."

"Oh, they know you're tough and they'll get chewed out if they don't do their job at the max, but they respect you for that and think you have the makings of a good mayor."

"And there's a problem with that?" Brian asked in amazement.



"I came here expecting to find a staff up in arms over having to work with a gay mayor, an inexperienced gay mayor.  Instead I find people who don't seem to care that you're gay and think you're doing just fine as mayor."

"I still don't see what the problem is."

"My article was going to be about the problems of being gay and trying to run a big city."



"Couldn't it just be about the problems of running a big city?" Brian asked.



"That wouldn't be much of a story."

"I beg to differ.  It's a much more important story than me being gay."

"But you being gay is why I came here.  I was going to call the piece 'The Winds of Change' and show that the country is changing but there are still prejudices and problems with being a gay mayor."

"But there are."

"Like what?"

"Are you forgetting why I almost quit twice and the daily protesters outside the front doors every fucking day?"

"I met one of those protesters a few minutes ago."



"You did?  Who?" Brian asked but he already knew.



"A lady named Louise who had nothing but kind words to say about you.  She told me in no uncertain terms that I was to do a nice article about you.  She said you'd had enough trouble and I shouldn't cause any more."

Brian chuckled.  "Trust Louise. So are you going to follow her advice?"



"I think maybe I am."

"Really?" Brian asked with a grin.



"Really."



                                                            -----



Brian arrived home to find Justin preparing dinner.



"You didn't have to cook," Brian told him after they had said hello.



"I felt like it."

"You have a lot of stuff on your plate, Justin.  I don't want you to feel that you have to do this and look after me."

"Who are you?" Justin asked with a giggle.  "What brought on this attitude?"

Brian scowled at him.  "I realized today just how much you actually have to deal with and I'm a big part of the equation."

"So?" Justin asked puzzled.  "We both know that you can be a handful, Mr. Mayor.  I don't understand why this concern all of a sudden."

"Robin wants to interview you alone and ask you about your art work and other stuff."

"Oh, I see now.  You want me to gloss over how demanding and grumpy you are most of the time.  I'll try to paint a glowing picture," Justin teased.



"I'm serious, Justin.  You don't have to gloss over anything.  She made me realize how much you do – student, waiter, comic entrepreneur, partner, chef, lover…"



"It seems to me that 'lover' takes up a goodly portion of my time, and I don't mind a bit."



"Come here, and turn off the stove."

Justin knew that supper was going to have to wait awhile.  He turned everything off and walked over to Brian.



"I do appreciate everything you do, you know," Brian said as he began removing articles of Justin's clothing.



"I'm glad you do, but you do lots of things for me too."  Justin got rid of Brian's suit jacket and began working on the buttons of his shirt.



"Probably not as much as I should."  Brian pushed Justin's pants down his legs and he stepped out of them.



"True, but it's nice to be appreciated every now and then."  Justin pulled off Brian's shirt and licked his nipples sucking on each one.



Brian groaned and his hand reached inside Justin's underwear.  He grasped the growing organ and tugged as Justin undid his pants and shoved then down taking his underwear with them.  Brian kicked off his shoes and stepped out of his pants. Brian shoved Justin's underwear down and helped him off with his shoes and socks.  They stood naked just inside the loft door.



"I'm going to show you how much I appreciate you," Brian declared and dropped to his knees.



Justin backed up against the counter as Brian took his cock into his mouth.  He knew he was going to need some support by the time Brian was finished with him.



Brian licked all over Justin's cock sucking the precum from the slit and using it to slick the sides of the cock.  He pulled the rock hard organ into his mouth and tongued all over it. He looked up to see Justin's head back and his mouth hanging open.  He was going to pleasure Justin like he never had before. He wanted the young man to know how much he needed and depended on him, and that he understood all he did in this relationship.



He released Justin's dick until only the head remained in his mouth.  He sucked hard and ran his tongue through the slit. Justin gasped and arched forward.  Brian sucked the rod back into his mouth and began working up and down the shaft using his lips and his well honed sucking action.  Justin began to pump forward as his orgasm built. Brian stayed still and allowed his partner, yes his partner and his equal, to fuck his face.



After a minute or two he grabbed Justin's hips to still them and looked up at his lover.  Justin opened his eyes and smiled in a groggy haze. Brian's hand clamped around the base of Justin's dick and he sucked up and down mercilessly.  He could hear Justin panting and moaning above him. He reached in and cupped Justin's balls feeling how heavy and full the sac was. He rolled them around and hummed over the cock that he held in his mouth.  With one swift stroke he sucked the cock down his throat and swallowed around it while gently squeezing Justin's balls.



The boy stiffened, screamed Brian's name and came in wave after wave that shot down Brian's throat.  He milked him dry and then stood to hold the dazed boy in his arms. Justin leaned against his chest until his breathing returned to normal.



"That was awesome," Justin whispered.



"There's much more to come," Brian whispered back.



"I'll remember this when Robin asks me the tough questions," Justin teased.



"Good, my plan is working," Brian chuckled.



"You can use this plan any time you like," Justin said with a grin.



"Let's go to the bedroom.  I'm going to make you like this plan even more."

"Sounds good," Justin said leaning against Brian as they made their way up to the bedroom.



"I really do … appreciate you," Brian stated again.



"I know."