- Text Size +

 

Mayor Kinney

* 32 *

"Brian," Geoffrey said poking his head in Brian's office door.  "Have you got a minute?"

"For you, Geoffrey, always," Brian said with his little smirk.



Geoffrey gave him a look clearly saying that he did not appreciate being the butt of Brian's jokes.  He closed the door behind him and walked over to the chair across the desk from Brian. He sat on the edge of the chair and handed Brian a sheet of paper.  Brian scanned it.



"What the fuck is this?" Brian asked.



"A list of all the holiday events you have been invited to as mayor."

"But … there must be forty things on here."



"Forty-two.  That's only the ones I have received so far.  It's usually best policy to agree to those who get their requests in early.  That makes a good excuse to decline the ones that come later."



"There will be more?"

"The previous mayor had around a hundred by the time all was said and done."

"A hundred?" Brian asked incredulously.  "They can't expect me to attend a hundred events, parties, whatever-the-fucks."

"You won't get invited to quite that many."

"Good … but why not?"

Geoffrey smirked.  "These are charitable organizations, business groups, religious groups.  Some of them would not be interested in having your sort attend their function."



"You mean because I'm gay."

"Precisely."

"Well that suits me just fine.  I wouldn't want to attend their pathetic festive gatherings anyway," Brian said sarcastically.  "So fuck 'em all, as Emmett would say."

"Who's Emmett?"

"A friend."

"He has the right attitude."



"Does he now?" Brian asked looking curiously at Geoffrey.  One minute he thought the man was having him on, the next he thought he was laughing at him and then he would seem to be thinking exactly the same thing that Brian was.  He could never quite get a handle on good old Geoffrey. "How old are you, Geoffrey?" Brian asked suddenly.



"I don't see what that has to do with the price of beans," Geoffrey said indignantly.



"Neither do I, so just tell me."

Geoffrey huffed, but then he said, "Forty-three."

"Oh."

"What does that mean?"

"It means, 'oh'."

"Can we get back to business, please?" Geoffrey asked.



"What business?"

"You need to select which of those parties or functions you want to attend."



"That's easy," Brian replied.  "None." He tossed the paper on his desk.



"I'm afraid that's not an option."



"How many am I expected to attend?" Brian asked with a sigh.



"At least twenty-five."

"You can't be serious."



"I'm always serious."



"We'll have to do something about that one of these days," Brian said thoughtfully.  He ignored Geoffrey's glare. "So how many … bottom line?"

"These are important people in Pittsburgh.  It's good PR to attend as many as you can. There are several that you can just pop in, say hello and leave."



"You're telling me I'm actually expected to go to at least twenty-five of these … functions?"  Geoffrey nodded. "Fuck!"



"Language."



Brian ignored the criticism of his language.  "Pick the absolute minimum that I have to go to," he said tersely.



"Don't you want to pick some that you might enjoy?"

Brian glared at him.  "You don't actually think I'm going to enjoy any of them, do you?"

"I thought maybe…" Geoffrey didn't know how to complete that statement.  "What do you do to celebrate Christmas?" Geoffrey asked.



It was on the tip of his tongue to say that he fucked as many men as he could, but that was no longer true.  "I don't … celebrate Christmas."



"You don't?"



"Usually no, but this year Justin seems to have other ideas."



"Good for Justin."  Brian glared at him.  "I'll make my selections and drop off my revised list this afternoon."

"Thanks ever so," Brian said sarcastically.



                                                              -----



When Brian arrived home from the office Justin had made them some pasta and they sat down quickly to eat.  Brian had little to say and Justin began to wonder what was wrong.



"Is something going on?" Justin asked.



"Why?"



"You're awfully quiet.  What are you thinking about?"



"I got a list of events that I have to attend over the holiday season."



"Parties?"



"Mostly."

"So why does that have you in a funk?"

"You know I'm not really into parties, at least the kind where you keep your clothes on."

"That is a stretch for you," Justin said with an evil grin.



"Brat," Brian retorted.



"It's merely the truth."

"You're expected to come with me."

"Ooh, I love parties," Justin gushed.



"Twenty-five of them?"



"What?"



"You heard me."



"We're going to twenty-five parties?"

"Maybe more."

"Jesus!"



"You better start praying to him because I may rip somebody's head off before we get through with all of them."

"Why so many?"

"It could have been forty-two, but I made Geoffrey cut down the list."

"Holy shit!"



"So get your best suit pressed and plaster on that sunshine smile.  The holiday season is upon us."



Justin looked very depressed and Brian wondered why parties were having that effect on him.



"What's wrong, Justin?  You like parties, and I promise to do my very best not to rip anybody a new asshole."



"I … I was going to ask you, but … now there's no point…"



"Ask me what?" Brian said thinking he probably wasn't going to like this.



"Nothing."

"Don't do that.  Tell me."

"I had been thinking that we have our beautiful tree and I could decorate the rest of the loft.  So I thought maybe we could have a little get-together with our friends for Christmas."



Brian stared at him.  "You thought that, did you?"

Justin nodded.  "But with all these parties, I guess that would be too much."  Justin looked sad.



"Are you playing me?" Brian asked.



"Yes.  Is it working?"

Brian chuckled.  "At least you're honest about it.  You really want to have a party here?"

"Yes, I really, really, really do," Justin said with a hopeful smile.



Brian knew he was doomed as soon as he heard that.  "Have a party if you want," he said softly.



"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Justin gushed and ran around the table to plunk himself in Brian's lap which led to some rubbing and kissing which led to a trip to the bedroom which led to…


                                                              -----



Between dealing with Justin's plans for the party at the loft and setting up the schedule for all the parties that he had to attend as mayor, Brian never wanted to hear about another party as long as he lived.  He and Justin began attending functions every night. Justin finished up his schoolwork as fast as he could. Once he no longer had classes he had more time to go with Brian to the dinners and cocktail parties. He could also help the man work out the tension that being nice to all the people at these things had a tendency to create.



By the end of the first week of their grueling social schedule they felt that Christmas was a time of torture not festivity.  Justin was planning their party at the loft and most of the invitees had responded positively. When Justin showed the list to Brian he suggested asking Cynthia and a date if she wanted to bring one.  Then Brian did something that really amazed Justin. He asked his lover to invite Geoffrey. When Justin asked why, he merely said that he had gotten to know his protocol officer somewhat, but wanted to know him better.  Justin had looked at him quizzically and then called Geoffrey. Geoffrey was evasive about coming. He didn't downright refuse, but he didn't sound very enthusiastic. When Justin told Brian this, he said he would speak to the man and make sure that he was there.



Brian called Geoffrey into his office a couple of days before the party.  He watched as Geoffrey entered and sat on the edge of the chair across the desk from Brian.



"You wanted to see me?" Geoffrey asked.



"Correct."

"Is there a problem?"



"Justin didn't think you sounded very enthusiastic about coming to our party."



"Oh … um … well … I don't often go to parties."



"You're coming to this one," Brian stated.



"I am?"



"If you can send me to, what are we up to now, thirty parties, then the least you can do is come to one for me."

"I…"



"I'm not taking no for an answer.  Be there."

"Um … all right."

"Good.  I'll see that you have a good time."

"And how can you predict that?" Geoffrey asked with a sneer.



"If you don't, I'll sic Debbie on you."

"Who's Debbie?"

"Believe me, you don't want to find out, so make sure you come early and have a great time."

"Yes sir."

Brian snorted as Geoffrey got up to leave.  They both knew that Brian could not force the man to attend his party, but at least he knew that Brian really wanted him to come and hopefully enjoy himself.



                                                               -----



The Tuesday night of the party was a cold, clear night in Pittsburgh.  Justin had decorated the loft with Emmett's help. Emmett had helped with the food, mostly finger stuff and dips.  There was plenty of it and lots of wine and booze and beer.



When the guests began arriving they could barely believe their eyes at the transformation of the loft.  It looked very elegant but festive. Justin gratefully accepted all the compliments and made sure that Emmett got his share of the credit.  They all gravitated towards the tree marveling at its beauty and glow.



Brian looked after the drinks and watched to see who had arrived.  He even made an effort to be pleasant to Ted who arrived with Blake.  Michael, Ben and Hunter made an appearance. Michael gave Brian a kiss before accepting a beer.  Hunter wanted both the beer and a kiss. He got a swat on the ass from Ben who told him to behave himself.  Hunter settled for a Coke and a lascivious glance at Brian's crotch.



Melanie and Lindsay arrived having left the kids with a sitter so that they could have some grownup time.  Frank and Maria Jankowski came in and were pleased to meet some of Brian and Justin's friends. Louise appeared with her new beau.  She kissed Brian and got a drink telling him that her life had changed so much since that day she picketed his office. Deb and Carl and Vic and Rodney arrived and made themselves to home.  Emmett circulated some of the food and made sure the music was appropriate and going continuously. Jennifer came with the new man she had started dating. She kept telling Justin it wasn't serious, but Steve seemed to be ever present these days.  Molly was with them. However, there was no sign of Geoffrey.



Justin came over to Brian after everyone seemed to have arrived.  "It seems to be going well," he said to his partner. "Thanks for letting me do this."

"Justin, this is your home too.  Everybody seems to be enjoying themselves."



"Yeah, it's amazing what booze and food can do."

"You got that right."



"I guess Geoffrey isn't coming," Justin said suddenly.



"Looks that way.  I thought I had talked him into it."



"He's always very private, almost secretive."

"I know.  That's part of the reason I invited him.  He's not so bad, but he's hard to get to know."

Justin knew that was high praise from Brian.  Brian had grown to quite like the man, and so had Justin from his few dealings with him.  He did his job extremely well, didn't take crap from anybody, Brian included, and helped in any way he could.



"I better circulate and make sure everything's going okay," Justin said.



"You make a lovely hostess."

Justin swatted him and moved away.  Brian leaned on the counter looking out over the room.  He was disappointed that Geoffrey hadn't come.



"Brian," a voice brought him out of his reverie.



"Hey, Mikey."

"You looked very thoughtful."

"Yeah," was all he wanted to say about that.



"We don't seem to have much time together anymore," Michael observed.



"Busy, busy," Brian replied.



"I know, mayor and all, but I kind of miss seeing you."

"Me too, but you have Ben and Hunter."



"Lookee, lookee, lookee," Emmett gushed coming up beside them, his arm linked through Geoffrey's.  "See what I found."

"Geoffrey," Brian said with a smirk.  "I didn't think you were going to make it."  Geoffrey smiled slightly but looked decidedly uncomfortable.  "I see you've met Emmett."

"This is Emmett?" Geoffrey asked looking with renewed interest at the man who still held his arm.



"Shame on you, Emmett.  Where are your manners? Didn't you introduce yourself?"

"Oh you!" Emmett blushed at his faux pas.  "I saw … Geoffrey was it, come in, and he asked for you, so I brought him over here."



"Let me do the honors," Brian said noting the interest flashing back and forth between the two.  This could be entertaining. "Geoffrey Cheeks, Emmett Honeycutt. And this is Michael Novotny."

Emmett and Geoffrey smiled at each other and ignored Michael.  Brian thought this was getting more interesting by the minute. Geoffrey said to Emmett, "Brian told me you say 'fuck 'em all'.  I like that philosophy."

"Brian quoted me?" Emmett asked staring at Brian.  "Will wonders never cease?"

"Can I get you a beer or some wine, Geoffrey?" Brian asked.



"Red wine, please," Geoffrey said never taking his eyes off Emmett.



"Here you go," Brian said handing him a glass.  "Um, Emmett, why don't you show Geoffrey around the loft and introduce him to some people?  I need to refill some glasses."



"Sure, Brian," Emmett said with a grin and whisked Geoffrey away.



"What was that all about?" Michael asked.



"I think my suspicions have just been confirmed," Brian said his tongue in cheek.



"What suspicions?" Michael asked.



"Later, Mikey," Brian replied taking the wine bottles and moving into the crowd to refill glasses.



The party was a big success at least based on the comments that Justin and Brian received.  When the last guest had left several hours later, Emmett stayed behind to help tidy up. He had promised Justin that he would.



"Thanks for all your help," Justin told him as they collected ashtrays and empty glasses.



"I think the party was a big success and Louise, I believe her name was, took some cards to give to her friends at church.  I may get some more bookings out of it."

"That's great, Emm."

"Didn't you make another booking as well?" Brian asked coming up behind them and wrapping his arms around Justin.



"Another booking?" Emmett asked.  "Whatever do you mean?"

"I saw you and Geoffrey getting all cozy.  You sat on the steps most of the night and talked."

"He's a very interesting man," Emmett said defensively.

"Yes, I guess you could say that.  So when are you two going out?"

"Going out?" Justin asked.  "You mean Geoffrey's …?"

"Gay," Brian said.



"Gay," Emmett concurred.  "How long have you known, Brian?  He didn't think you were on to him."



"I've suspected for awhile, but tonight confirmed it.  He couldn't keep his eyes off you from the moment he saw you," Brian stated.



"Oh, pshaw," Emmett replied blushing scarlet.

"So when are you two going out?" Justin asked.



"We're going to see a movie tomorrow night," Emmett admitted shyly.



"Did he just come right out and ask you?" Brian asked curious about how Geoffrey handled the whole thing.



Emmett wasn't sure how much he wanted to tell Brian, but the man seemed genuinely interested and he wasn't being sarcastic.  "He said that he's been thinking about coming out since he met you," Emmett began. Brian raised his eyebrows. "He knew if he came here tonight he would admit it to everyone.  That's what took him so long to get here. It was a big decision." Justin and Brian both nodded understanding the magnitude of it. "He really liked that I had the fuck 'em all philosophy.  He said that helped him decide to come tonight. He wanted to meet me. And the funny thing is, we were kind of attracted to each other before we even knew who the other one was."



"Life's weird," Justin said.



"Anyway he told me all that and then said, 'Come on a date with me?'  After hearing everything, how could I refuse?"


"You couldn't, of course," Brian said with a grin.



"Are you playing matchmaker here?" Emmett asked giving Brian a funny look.



"Moi?  I had no idea he'd hook up with you, Emmett.  I just wanted him to have the opportunity to spend some time with other fags and see how he liked it."

"I'd say he liked it fine," Justin contributed.



"Let's leave the rest of this shit until the morning.  I'm horny," Brian whispered chewing on Justin's ear.



"I guess that's my cue to be going," Emmett said retrieving his coat.



"Thanks again, Emm," Justin called.



"With any luck at all I may owe you two some thanks after tomorrow night's date."



"Let's hope so," Brian said.  "I'm sure you'll make a stunning couple.  Maybe it will improve Geoffrey's disposition too," Brian added as he closed the door behind Emmett.



"That isn't why you wanted Geoffrey here tonight is it?" Justin asked hoping Brian had better motives.



"Couldn't hurt," Brian said with his asshole grin, but Justin thought there was much more to it than that.  He knew the real Brian. He knew Brian wished the best for the people he cared about.