- Text Size +

 

 

Chapter 2

 

My first conscious thought was that I felt a little cold and there was a cool breeze on my face. Then the events of the last two days came flooding back, and I let out an audible sigh.

 

"Hey, Mister! What are you doing down here? Are you sleeping?"

 

I look over at the kid lying on the grass watching me. "Go away, kid. It's none of your fucking business what I'm doing."

 

britinmanor_boy_in_park.jpg

 

"You said a bad word. I'm gonna tell my mommy."

 

Jesus! "Sorry, kid. I shouldn't have said that. Do you know what time it is?"

 

"We always come to the park at eleven o'clock."

 

"It's eleven o'clock?"

 

"No. I said we come to the park at eleven o'clock."

 

"How long have you been at the park?"

 

"Quite a while. Mommy said we could have McDonald's before we go home today, and I'm starting to get hungry. I've been watching you sleep."

 

"Where's your ma?"

 

"What's a ma?"

 

"Your mom, mother, whatever."

 

"You mean my mommy?"

 

"Yeah, that's what I mean."

 

"She's sitting on the bench, reading."

 

"Well, I need to get up."

 

After I stand, I realize my clothes are slightly damp. Fucking Grass.

 

"Kid, I'm gonna get going. I have a friend I have to go see."

 

"Okay, but, Mister, you should sleep in a bed. Mommy told me people can't sleep in the park. One time this smelly, old man was sleeping on the bench that Mommy always reads on, and she called a policeman. Are you smelly, too?"

 

"Bye, kid. Maybe I'll see you another time. But, no, I don't smell and I promise not to sleep in the park again. I was just really tired last night. I didn't mean to fall asleep."

 

As I make my way out of the park, my only thought was that I was glad I would never have a kid. For someone who looked about four, he sure had a smart mouth on him.

 

~ ¤ ~

 

I arrive at Brian's apartment a half-hour later, happy to see it was Nigel at the door.

 

"Hey, Nigel, I'm here to see Mr. Kinney. Could you tell me what apartment he's in? I forgot what he told me."

 

"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't give out that information."

 

"Why not? Brian told me to meet him here for lunch. If he didn't tell me, how would I have known your name? He said, ‘In case I get hung up at the office, if you get here before me, the doorman's name is Nigel. Just let him know that I want him to let you in. You can wait for me outside my door. I shouldn't be very long'."

 

"And just where is it that Mr. Kinney works?"

 

I keep myself from rolling my eyes and saying, ‘Duh', but I answer with, "At Kennedy and Collins, sir."

 

"Okay. I'll let you in this time. But I don't want a repeat of this. I will speak to Mr. Kinney directly regarding this situation."

 

"And his apartment number?"

 

"Ah, yes. It's 42C."

 

"Thank you, sir. Beautiful day we're having, isn't it? Do you by chance have the time?"

 

"A few minutes past one, sir."

 

The interior is beautiful. I opt for the glass-enclosed elevator. No way am I taking the fucking stairs.

 

blinded_elevator_with_stairs.jpg

 

I arrive at Brian's door and I'm surprised to hear music playing inside. I can't understand why that would be; there's no way Brian would leave a trick in his apartment.

 

I knock on the door... and get the surprise of my life!

 

JUSTIN:

 

I'm surprised when I hear a knock on the door. It can't be Brian yet, so unless he has a delivery, I can't figure out who it might be.

 

I open the door and can't believe my eyes. "Michael, what are you doing here?"

 

"I think the question should be, what are you doing here? And how did you get in?"

 

"Not that it's any of your business, but I live here."

 

"Like hell you do! There's no way Brian would let a trick stay with him. A trick that has stayed way too long, in my opinion. So, what are you doing here and how did you get in?"

 

"What part of I live here, did you not understand? And as for how I got in, living here requires me to have a key. Now that I answered your question, how about answering mine. What are you doing here?"

 

"I came to live with my best friend."

 

I involuntarily chuckle before saying, "I don't think so, Michael. Now I'm going to kindly ask you to leave."

 

"No way, Boy Wonder! Now get out of my way and let me inside!"

 

"Not gonna happen, Michael."

 

"Like hell it isn't! You are NOT staying in Brian's apartment. I am. So, get your stuff and GET OUT!"

 

"Michael, I'm going to call the pol..."

 

I'm roughly shoved back, barely catching myself before falling, and in storms an angry Michael.

 

I notice him pausing in his rant as he looks around the apartment, a look of incredulity and awe mixed on his face. I remember when I was looking up apartment costs in New York when Brian first talked about moving here. He said he planned bigger and better than what I was looking at. And, boy, did he get bigger and better!

 

Blinded_brian's_apartment.jpg

 

Michael recovers from the shock and looks at me, sneering, "Now get your stuff and get out!"

 

"I told you; I'm not leaving. Brian asked me to move with him before you ever left Pittsburgh."

 

"I don't believe you! There's no way Brian would want some blond-boy assed twink living with him in New York! It must get old being shoved out of bed when Brian brings all those gorgeous New York men home."

 

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Brian doesn't trick anymore. We agreed to monogamy when we moved here."

 

Michael laughs a humorless laugh. "You really are living in wonderland, aren't you?"

 

"No, I'm not. That would be you. Now I asked you to leave, Michael. I'm expecting Brian soon. We have plans for this afternoon and evening, and I need to get ready. Don't worry, I'll tell Brian his best friend - NOT - was here and for him to give you a call."

 

"You really think you're funny, dontcha, Justin! Well, I'm not leaving, you are, even if I have to throw you out myself!"

 

Michael advances toward me, and instead of standing my ground, I start to back up, and as Michael follows, he grabs the lamp sitting on a side table.

 

BRIAN:

 

I told Justin that I had plans for us this afternoon and evening. We haven't had much time to do anything fun since he got to New York, so I asked for this afternoon off. I was so proud of him when he made Valedictorian, beating Daphne by three points. So, today I thought we'd celebrate that achievement. He's been wanting to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, so I thought we could do that today. If we ever get out of there, he's also been wanting to see the Statue of Liberty. But when I found out we had 354 steps to climb, I vetoed that. I might be in shape, but I'm not climbing twenty stories to look around the inside of the statue. I found a New York harbor cruise that literally goes right past the statue and thought that would be good enough. To round off the evening, I'm taking him to Gallagher's Steakhouse. I know he loves a good steak and I was told they had the best.

 

It's right after one-thirty when I arrive home.

 

"Good afternoon, sir."

 

"Same to you, Nigel."

 

"Mr. Kinney, sir. For future reference, if you are expecting company and expect me to let them up to your apartment, I would kindly like to be informed."

 

"I'm not sure what you are talking about, but of course, I would do that."

 

"Well, your friend showed up here and told me you expected me to allow him up to your apartment."

 

"Friend? Still not sure what you're talking about."

 

"He didn't give me his name, but he was about 5'8", 5'9", dark hair, brown eyes..."

 

No fucking way! MICHAEL!

 

"Is he still waiting, or has he left yet?"

 

"He hasn't come out yet, sir. My deepest apologies if I did something wrong. The gentleman seemed to know you quite well. He knew where you worked, and he also knew my name. He stated that you said I was to let him up and he was to wait for you outside your apartment until you arrived, as you might be a little late."

 

"It's fine, Nigel. I will speak to Mr. Novotny myself."

 

I'm glad the elevator is fast, but I can't help but will it to move faster.

 

I get to the apartment and hear yelling inside. As I open the door, I can't believe the sight before my eyes.

 

"MICHAEL!!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"

 

Michael lowers the lamp before turning towards me.

 

"Oh, Brian! Thank God you're home! I'm not sure how Justin got into your apartment. He must have let the doorman fuck him or something. I tried to get him to leave but he wouldn't. He keeps telling me he lives here. But I know you would never have somebody like HIM living in New York with you."

 

"Well, he does, Michael. But I'd like to know what you're doing here. I told you yesterday to go back to Pittsburgh, so what the hell are you doing in our apartment?"

 

"I told you yesterday; I need a place to stay. I thought I could live with you. Besides, David is sending my stuff here."

 

"Oh, hell no, Michael! We only have ONE bedroom. I told you my apartment wasn't big enough for you."

 

"Look at this place, Brian! I can't believe there isn't enough room for me. Besides, when Boy Wonder leaves, there will be plenty of room for me."

 

"Did you hear me? I said one bedroom. Just where do you plan to sleep?"

 

"We can share, Brian. I don't mind."

 

"Well, I certainly do! There's no way I'm sharing a bed with you, now or ever! That's Justin's place. Now, mind telling me what you were planning to do with that lamp in your hands?"

 

"Brian, I'm your best friend. I was just trying to get rid of this little whore. I know he was trespassing, and he wouldn't leave. What did you expect me to do?"

 

"Fucking stop saying that! If you were my best friend, you would have never even considered doing something like this to me, or to Justin. Justin has been with me for three months; a month after I left Pittsburgh. I asked him to move in with me when he graduated. He was accepted at Pratt and was awarded a twenty-thousand-dollar scholarship. Christ, Michael! We even had partnership papers drawn up!"

 

"Brian, you've got to be kidding me! You can't honestly say you care about him! He's a user and will end up bleeding you dry! Besides, it's my turn now. You always promised me, ‘Always Have, Always Will'. I think it's time that you own up to that promise. I've waited sixteen years for this! It's my time now! So, Justin, pack your shit, which I'm sure Brian has paid for, and get the fuck out of our lives!"

 

"Michael, are you hearing yourself? Have you gone off the deep end? Because let me tell you something, I feel absolutely nothing for you! I'm not even sure I like you half the time! Justin has been my best friend for the last six months."

 

"Brian, I can't believe..."

 

"Sir, someone placed a call from this address. Is there a problem?" said the first policeman to walk through the door which I had purposely left open.

 

"Yes, Officer. I arrived home about fifteen minutes ago, and when I walked in here, this man was attacking my partner. He was just ready to hit him over the head with a lamp, which surely would have done a great deal of damage, or could have even killed him."

 

"Brian, what are you doing?" an incredulous Michael asked.

 

"When I saw what you were going to do, I dialed 9-1-1 and put it on speaker. I can't stand aside and not have you punished for attempted murder. You're sick, Michael. You need help. The police have everything on tape. You won't get away with this."

 

"How could you do this to me, Brian? I'm your best friend! Why would you call the cops on me? I was just trying to get the whore to leave!"

 

"How, Michael? By killing him?"

 

"If that's what it takes to get rid of that little whore, then yes!"

 

"If you don't shut up and quit calling Justin a whore, I will put a fist in your mouth to shut you up!"

 

"Sir, that's not your job. You, you're Michael? You're under arrest for attempted murder. Turn around, sir. You're coming with us."

 

"Like hell, I'm going with you! There's no way I'm leaving and letting that no-good, blond boy ass stay with MY BEST FRIEND!"

 

"Do you want to add resisting arrest on top of your other charges?"

 

"Fine, I'll leave. But I'm not coming with you!"

 

"Marv, a little assistance here?"

 

"Sure thing, Jeff."

 

As the two men advanced on Michael, Michael threw himself at Justin and started hitting him. He was grabbed from behind and roughly thrown face down onto the floor. His hands were yanked behind his back and handcuffed while he kicked and screamed.

 

When the officers pulled him to his feet, he started yelling at Justin. "I'm gonna fucking kill you, Justin! You're nothing but a common whore! You don't deserve Brian! Not like I do! I've waited sixteen years! It's my turn! Why don't you just do us all a favor and die?" Then he turned to me, saying, "I won't quit next time, Brian. You're mine and you'll always be mine!"

 

When the cop noticed my clenched fist and saw me moving towards Michael, he stood up and put a hand on my chest. "Sir, stop. We're taking him down to the station and booking him for threats and attempted murder. He won't get out for a long time. If you do something, it will just get you in trouble. Let us do our job."

 

As much as I wanted to kill Michael myself, I held up my hands in defeat. "Fine. But you better make damn sure he doesn't see daylight for a very long time."

 

Looking at Michael, I barely held back a sob before saying, "Christ, Michael, you could have killed him! There's only been one person I've ever loved, and you tried to take him away from me. As far as I'm concerned, you're dead to me!"

 

Michael started laughing insanely. "Whatever it takes, Brian. As long as it takes."

 

"There won't be a next time, Michael. You'll never hurt Justin again. I hope you rot in prison for this!"

 

Looking at the officers, I practically pleaded with them, "Please, just get him out of here and out of my sight!"

 

~ ¤ ~

 

A week later, Justin and I appeared in court. Michael kind of lost it when I kissed Justin in the courtroom. Apparently, since he couldn't get to Justin, he first took it out on his court-appointed attorney. He stomped on his foot and kicked his chair at him. Then he raced towards the judge, screaming at him that he was going to find out where he lived and take him out.

 

As the judge pounded his gavel, yelling, "ORDER IN THE COURT - ORDER IN THE COURT! Guard, take this prisoner down to the holding cells! After I speak to Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor, I will pass sentencing. Gentlemen, I want to see you in my chambers. Court is adjourned!"

 

~ ¤ ~

 

When we met with the judge, he told us that a person convicted of attempted assault with a deadly weapon was not eligible for supervised home release until the completion of his mandatory minimum sentence of five years. But due to the behavior that Michael had portrayed in court, he recommended psychiatric treatment.

 

So here we are three days later at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where Michael will be staying for the foreseeable future. I'm Michael's POA and we felt that we'd rather he be in Pittsburgh versus New York. We were hoping that out-of-sight would be out-of-mind. After Justin and I discussed it, we decided that Michael would receive better care at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital than at Allegheny General Hospital's Department of Psychiatry.

 

We left for a few hours and had something to eat, so they could get Michael settled, but now we're back. As we stand in front of a pane of glass, watching a straight-jacketed Michael, apparently speaking to an imaginary someone, I could honestly say I feel relieved. I know I would have worried, not only for the safety of Justin and myself, but also anybody else who crossed Michael.

 

"I feel responsible for this, Brian."

 

"Sunshine, don't. You need to get that idea out of your head. I told you when I had the job offer that I wanted you with me, and you know why. Remember when I said that there were about ten guys at Babylon who told me they overheard a drunk Michael saying he was gonna get you out of my life? I knew there was no way Michael would have lasted out in Portland with David, and I didn't want you remaining here in the Pitts when he returned. That's when I promised you that Michael would never hurt you. When I came home the other day and he had you cornered and ready to slam that lamp over your head, I realized how much I actually loved you and how much I would have lost if I had come home a minute later. So, please, don't tell me this is your fault or that you feel guilty. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. Michael always was a little far out there when it came to how possessive he was of me and our friendship."

 

"When do you plan to tell Debbie?"

 

"Christ, you had to bring that up, didn't you? Our flight leaves at 9:45 tonight; I'm not speaking to Deb before we go. I'll wait until morning before I head into work."

 

"It might work in your favor if you can get a hold of the court transcripts before calling her. She won't be able to argue the actions you took if she reads everything in black and white."

 

"See, Sunshine, I knew there was a reason I liked keeping you around."

 

I look back one more time at my childhood friend. Mikey had been a big part of my life for a very long time. He had offered me a refuge of sorts. I remember when I first met him, some high school bullies were taunting him. They'd knocked his books out of his hands and there lay four comic books on the ground. One of the guys was laughing about the comic books and saying they should just take them and destroy them. Mikey had tears streaming down his cheeks, begging them to leave them alone. There was no way I couldn't rescue him. I went over and threatened the biggest guy standing there. I'm not sure what they saw when they looked at me, but they scampered off. When I bent down to help Michael collect everything, he whimpered, "Please don't. Please leave my comics alone." "Hey, I'm just trying to help." He looked up at me and gave a tentative smile and said, "Thanks. I'm Michael. Michael Novotny. Do you want to come over to my house and read my comics with me?" And our friendship took off from there. I wish I knew when all that changed. I think I was so used to the hero worship I received from him, that when the obsession started, I didn't see it for the danger that it turned into. He's talking in there, again. He's got a dreamy look on his face. I'm not sure what that is all about, but I don't want to spend time wondering about what goes on in the mind of the delusional.

 

"You ready to get out of here, Sunshine?"

 

"Definitely. I can't wait to get home. You can't imagine how much I'm looking forward to you, me, the Jacuzzi, and a marathon fuck fest. The sooner I put this nightmare behind me, the better. So, yeah, let's go."

 

"Couldn't agree more. Right there with you, Sunshine. Right there with you."

 

~ ¤ ~

 

"Hey Honey, I'm glad you're home. I love having your arms wrapped around me like this; it feels so good. Do you think we should order in tonight, or would you like me to cook supper for you?"

 

~ THE END ~

 

Chapter End Notes:

THANK YOU FOR READING.

The End.
BritinManor is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Blinded also liked 449 other stories.