- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has left comments - I really appreciate it :)

 

Trigger warning for this chapter: We're going back into Brian's past as a pleasure slave and some of the torture he had to endure. 

 

Chapter 23

 

A week later Brian and Justin had invited their family and friends to the loft for a dinner. They had informed them that there was something they needed to tell them, but other than Melanie and Lindsay no one knew what the conversation would be about. And Lindsay only knew about the court case, but didn't know about the abuse and torture Brian had suffered from.

 

Before inviting everyone, Brian and Justin had debated for a long time if they should also include Molly in the invitation. She was only a teenager and still went to school and was clearly too young to hear the details she would be hearing, especially since she would be hearing lots of bad things about her father, Brian had argued, but in the end Justin had won that argument by pointing out that she would find out eventually anyway once the press would start reporting on it and it was better for her to hear the truth from themselves than find a distorted version of it in the press.

 

Brian hadn't really been happy about that, but knew that Justin was right. He knew that Molly was old enough to go on the internet and to read and listen to the news and she was a teenager that went to High School. She needed to be prepared for how this might also affect her life.

 

So in the end they had invited Debbie and Carl, Ben, Michael and Hunter, Lindsay and Melanie, Emmett and Drew and Ted and Blake, Justin's mother and his sister to give them the news about the case and their version of what Brian had been through.


Justin had prepared a light dinner for their guests, even though he didn't feel like eating at all, but knowing that it would be impolite to invite people over and not offer any food. Brian had teased him endlessly for his WASP behaviour and how it always shone through in one way or another, but Justin had only been too happy to take Brian's teasing. At least it meant Brian wasn't thinking too much about what they would have to tell their family later on. If it distracted Brian, Justin was only too happy to let his partner make fun of his WASP behaviour.

 

One by one their guests arrived and they were all curious about what Justin and Brian would have to announce. And with each guest that arrived, Justin noticed how Brian grew more and more nervous and became more and more tense.


“Are you okay? We don't have to do this tonight,” Justin quietly offered as he took Brian's shaking hands in his own and gave them a supportive squeeze.

 

“I won't feel any better about this any other night,” Brian just sighed, looking into Justin's shining blue eyes from troubled hazel ones.

 

The younger man just nodded, knowing exactly how Brian felt. He felt the same and his stomach was churning at the prospect of what they would have to do.

 

“God, I need a drink,” Brian muttered, then turned around and went to the kitchen island to pour himself a generous amount of Whiskey.


Justin followed after him, watching Brian in concern. It wasn't like he couldn't understand Brian. He understood him only too well. When Brian took a large sip of the amber liquid and then handed Justin the glass, offering him what was left of the whiskey, Justin only took it too gladly and downed it in one quick gulp.

 

“It'll be okay,” Justin whispered, before he leaned in and gave Brian a quick kiss.

 

“We'll see,” the brunet replied ominously, but Justin wasn't having any of it.


“I'll be right by your side and... if it helps... I can tell them,” he offered, wondering if that would make it any easier on Brian.

 

“You're already doing enough,” Brian whispered, pulling Justin close and inhaling the scent of his shampoo. A scent that was so familiar to him by now, he wouldn't want to miss it for anything in the world. “This is something I have to do myself. But... I appreciate the offer.”

 

Justin just nodded and allowed Brian to hold him, hoping that somehow he would be able to impart some strength into his boyfriend that way. He knew that Brian would need all the strength he could get.

 

Half an hour later everyone was gathered around their dining table, Ben and Michael having brought some extra chairs from their house to make room for everyone. Quiet conversation was going on all around the table, Brian and Justin pretty much being the only ones not being involved in any of the conversations. They just sat together quietly, Justin leaning his head on Brian's shoulder and allowing Brian to rest his hand in Justin's lap, where Justin held it and gently drew circles with his thumb in Brian's palm.

 

“So, what's this whole invitation about, Sunshine? You said you had something to tell us?” Debbie was the one to remind everyone why they were actually at the loft and had been invited by Justin and Brian.

 

Justin just nodded and sat up a little bit straighter. He could feel how Brian tensed up, but at the same time could also feel how his boyfriend seemed to steel himself for what he knew would be coming next. He felt Brian straighten his back and shoulders and sit up a bit taller than before.


“Yeah, Justin and I actually have an announcement to make,” Brian started speaking once everyone had stopped their other conversations after Debbie had asked her question.

 

“An announcement?” Michael frowned, looking at his best friend and his partner. “Is everything okay?”

 

“Are you getting married as well?” Emmett squealed in excitement, clapping his hands together like an overexcited child on Christmas morning. “Please say yes, please say yes.”

 

Justin smiled gently at his friend and his obvious excitement, but shook his head sadly. “No, we're not. We couldn't, even if we wanted to,” he said quietly and everyone around the table could hear the sadness in Justin's voice.

 

“Is it one of those stupid slave law issues?” Molly asked, barely hiding the anger in her voice. It had amused Justin greatly how his little sister, who had been brought up by the same father as himself had turned out to be so anti-slavery even before Justin had reappeared in her life. After she had found out about Brian and Justin dating, her anti-slavery sentiments had only intensified and she was even more vocal than ever before about her opinions. Craig had to be so disappointed that both his children had turned out to be defectors, Justin thought with an amused smile.

 

When both Brian and Justin just nodded, she started on a rant about the unfairness of the whole slavery issue and how old-fashioned and ancient the laws were and how inhuman the whole system was.

 

“You tell them, girl!” Debbie applauded once her rant had finished and the whole family agreed wholeheartedly with the angry girl.

 

“So, if it's not a wedding, what is it then?” Carl asked after several more minutes of people agreeing with Molly and complaining about the system, feeling curious as to why they had been invited to the loft and what the boys wanted to announce.

 

“Justin and I... we have actually decided to try and change the status quo,” Brian said quietly, not looking at anyone, but fixing his gaze on his hand that rested in Justin's lap.

 

Several people spoke out at the same time. “What?” could be heard from Emmett and Ted, “Are you serious?” from Debbie, “I am so proud of you,” from Lindsay and “How?” from Michael.

 

“After Melanie and Lindsay announced their wedding we were faced with the reality that we would never be able to get married and... the unfairness of it all made me sad. I met with my mom and she actually had an idea about how we might be able to change the status quo. It wouldn't leave me alone, so I went and talked it over with Melanie and well... we're going to sue the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the right as Brian's owner to grant him his freedom if I want to,” Justin explained.

 

“You're going to...what?” Ben asked, looking from Brian to Justin in confusion.

 

“May I?” Melanie asked, thinking that she might be able to explain this part of their case and knowing that Brian and Justin would still have enough to talk about later which they had to tell the family themselves. If she could help by taking this small task from them, she would do it gladly.

 

Brian nodded at her, allowing her to go ahead.

 

“Unlike in other states the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania doesn't have any regulations in its state slavery laws that forbid slave owners explicitly from granting freedom to slaves they own. It's something that is not regulated by laws and Brian and Justin, well Justin officially, with the help of my law firm and some of my colleagues are going to sue the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for Justin's right to grant Brian his freedom. We have colleagues from New York and Washington working on their case and we're optimistic that there might be a good chance of winning this case as the state laws don't explicitly mention anything about granting freedom to a slave. If everything goes as we would like it to, at the end of the case Justin and slave owners all over Pennsylvania would be given the right to also grant freedom to their slaves if they wish so, which would result in Brian finally getting his freedom back,” Melanie ended on a smile.

 

“No way!” “Are you for real?” “Is that going to work?” “I can't believe it!” “Go, you two!” Everybody started exclaiming at once and loud clamor broke out around the table.

 

One by one people came over to Brian and Justin's side and hugged them, congratulating them on taking on the fight and wishing them all the best for their case.

 

“That is wonderful... God, I don't know what to say... I... hope and pray that this will work out. You deserve it, honey. That and so much more,” Debbie whispered in a tear-choked voice as she pulled Brian into a crushing hug that nearly broke his ribs.

 

“And you,” she pulled Justin to her, hugging him close as well. “You are a good man, Sunshine. A good man! That you would do this for Brian... God... it means the world to me that you love him with that much devotion. You two are so good together,” she smiled happily, not caring about the tears running down her face.

 

“Honey, I am so happy for you and I hope that this will work out for you two,” Jennifer said sincerely as she came over and hugged Justin, her gaze meeting Brian's as she spoke. “After everything... you two deserve it,” she smiled as she ran her hand through his hair and smiled at Brian.

 

“Brian, I hope this will work out. If you need anything, please let me know what I can do,” Michael told his best friend, as he gave him a hug as well.

 

Brian nodded and then cleared his throat. He raised his voice and held his hand out to Justin, needing him to hold it, needing to feel his support and strength for what he knew he had to say next.

“Actually... there is more...”


“Do you need anything from us?” Carl asked immediately. “Whatever it is, you know we'll support you,” the police officer immediately offered.

 

“Actually... we're going to need something from all of you,” Justin said quietly, urging everyone to sit down once more as he and Brian sat down as well. He never let go of Brian's hand, holding it tight in his lap as he spoke.

 

“Brian and I have been consulting with Melanie and her colleagues for a couple of weeks now and...,” at the surprised gasps, Justin just smiled, then went on. “We had many meetings about the kind of media attention this trial would bring and how big it might get... This trial... it might go on for years and... it might have to go to the Supreme Court if it has to go through all levels of jurisdiction.”

 

“The Supreme Court?” Emmett gasped, holding his hands to his heart. “Are you for real?”

 

At that point Melanie took over once more. “As is often the case in controversial cases like this one, it's highly unlikely that both sides will be happy with whatever the judge's decision will be. If we win, the other side might appeal. If we lose, we will most definitely appeal. We're looking at a very controversial case here that will get the attention of pro-slavery groups, anti-slavery groups, politicians, celebrities, maybe even the White House itself.”


“The White House? Oh my god,” Debbie gasped in obvious surprise.

 

Melanie nodded, then went on to explain. “We're expecting the press to be all over this case due to its controversial nature and... we have had meetings with them to go over what kind of attention to expect, but...”

 

“We need you to be aware of some things, too,” Brian took over with a deep sigh.

 

“What kind of things?” Michael asked in obvious confusion. It was clear that he didn't have an idea where this conversation was going. However, Ben at his side had a pretty good idea. He had been giving anti-slavery classes at university for a long time and he had seen the state Brian had been in when he had first joined their family years ago. He knew what they would be told. Not in detail, but he knew it wouldn't be pretty.


He just looked over at Brian and gave him a sad smile. “I... I don't know what to say,” he whispered when their gazes met. He and Brian had become good friends as well ever since Brian had joined the family, but Brian had made it a point to never talk much about his past unless he was asked. And even then he had kept his statements rather vague. Ben had always wondered what had happened to him during his time as a pleasure slave and now he had a feeling he was about to find out.

 

Brian just nodded slowly, before taking a deep breath. This was it. Now or never. All or nothing. If he didn't say it now, he knew he would never be able to tell them what he needed to tell them.

 

Michael looked from Ben to Brian and back with confusion in his eyes, but stopped from speaking up when Brian started speaking in the most pained voice he had ever heard.

 

“When... during my years as a slave... there were instances of... punishments. Most people would call it abuse, maybe even torture, but... with slaves... it's just punishments and... I know you've all heard the rumours about how slaves get treated and... I know some of you might have wondered about me and my past and... when the trial starts... you'll hear about some of the punishments I was subjected to and...,” Brian had to stop then, taking another deep breath. There was an eerie silence in the loft and everyone's attention was totally focused on him and nothing else. Brian hated to have that much attention focused on himself, but he knew there was no other way. He knew they needed to tell their family and friends on their own. “We didn't want you to read about them in the press. We... I... wanted to tell you before you hear about it in the news.”

 

At that point Debbie's broken voice interrupted him. “What punishments?” Justin met her gaze and saw the tears on her face. He could easily hear the anguish in her voice and saw all the pain she felt for Brian in her eyes. He knew how much she loved Brian and had cared for him since she had first met him and he knew how much she would suffer hearing what had been done to her surrogate son in the past.

 

He had tears in his own eyes as he turned towards Brian, looking at his boyfriend from sad eyes. Justin nodded in encouragement, giving Brian's hand in his hand one last squeeze, showing Brian that he would be there and that he would be ready to take over at any point if Brian didn't feel like he could go on.

 

When Brian went on, his voice was deathly calm, almost detached, but under that detachment, Justin knew that Brian was suffering. Brian was trying so hard to hide his own pain at the memories, but Justin knew it was there and always would be. Especially on days like this when those memories would be brought back to the forefront of his mind.

 

“When... when Justin and I started having sex... we would see each other in secret. When no one was in the house, when we were supposed to study. One day... we thought we were alone in the house, but... Justin's father came home earlier than we had expected and... he caught us... and... he didn't like what he was seeing.”

 

Justin's own breath hitched at the memories from that day. The memories of how his father had exploded and had angrily pulled Brian away from him, had blamed Brian for corrupting his son and making him gay.

 

“He... he blamed me for corrupting Justin and for making him gay. For teaching him my sinful ways and he pulled me away and locked me in the basement. Later... later that night... he came into the basement and he started punching me. As a slave I was not allowed to punch him back, it would have gotten me punished even harsher, so I just let him go about it. He nearly beat me unconscious, but... that wasn't enough punishment for him...He forced Justin down to the basement and he made him watch how...how he assaulted me with a broom he found lying around in the basement. There was no... no preparation at all and he just mutilated me with that broom, telling me that that was what I deserved for making his son gay and for corrupting him. For infesting him with my sick gay ideas. That that was what I deserved for thinking I was better than my place in society and for being the gay monster that I am. He would use the broom over and over again and... it felt like hours and... the whole time he made Justin watch, showing him what would happen to him if he went on with his sinful life. When he let go off me...I couldn't move. I was in so much pain... I think I passed out more than once... And... he would just leave me locked up in the basement, no medical attention, nothing. I... I was down there for two weeks and... if it hadn't been for Justin bringing me food and making sure I was okay... I don't know if I would have made it...I... I don't know if I would have survived. But I did and... once he deemed me well enough, he continued his punishment and... he sold me off to a slave agency that dealth with pleasure slaves, saying it was the only thing I was good for and that he hoped they would teach my sick, perverted ass what sinners like me deserved to expect from life...”

 

When Brian ended, Justin saw the tears running down his face and gently wiped them away, looking at Brian from his own teary eyes. “It's over, Brian. He can't harm you anymore,” the younger man whispered, not liking the look on Brian's face. A look that spoke of so much pain, helplessness and most of all hopelessness.

 

Brian's eyes met Justin's and for the longest time he only stared into Justin's eyes, before he slowly nodded. Their foreheads met and they stayed like that for the longest time, before Molly's outraged cry brought them back to reality and reminded them that they were not alone in the Loft.


“How could you let him do that? How could you let him get away with that? How could you?” Molly was glaring at her mother and yelling at her in obvious anger.

Justin's gaze returned to his mother and sister and he saw how Molly was in his mother's face and he also saw something in his mother's face that he hadn't expected to see there either: Surprise and shock.

 

“Molly,” he started, trying to get her to calm down. The last thing Brian or he needed would be a full fledged argument between his mother and sister. This was not about them. “Please.”

 

“No, no... how can you even have her in your house when she... when she let him do those things? When she let him get away with it and stayed married to him for years afterwards...?”


“Molly, please,” Justin tried once more, but was interrupted by Michael's angry voice.

 

“She is right. How could you? How dare you be here and sit at this table with Brian when you did nothing to stop that monster of a husband of yours from doing those things to him?”

 

“Michael,” Debbie said quietly, willing him to calm down. She was still trying to come to terms with what she had heard herself, but she knew that all this yelling and fighting would not help anyone.

 

“I,” Jennifer started speaking, but then stopped, burying her face in her hands. Everyone watched her cry for several minutes, before she went on speaking. “I... I honestly had no idea... I didn't know...”

 

She raised her eyes and met Justin's and Brian's pained ones. “I only knew that something had happened and Craig had told me that he had caught Brian and Justin having sex and that he was having none of that... he had told me that he had detained Brian to the basement and he would have to stay there until Craig had figured out what to do with him. I... I was not to go down and see him and... I didn't,” she finished in a whisper, her voice filled with shame and regret. “I... I had no idea what he had done in that basement.” Her gaze met Justin's and she looked at him from fearful eyes. “Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell me what had happened?”

 

Justin eyed his mother for the longest time, before he met her gaze head on. “I thought you knew. I thought Dad had told you and... that you agreed with him.”

 

There was a deathly silence around the table and everyone watched as Jennifer Taylor slowly got up and made her way over to the door. When she had reached the metal sliding door, she looked back to her son, holding his gaze. “I am sorry I failed you so much as a mother. I am sorry that you thought so badly of me that you would think I would condone something as atrocious as what your father did to Brian. If I had known... I would have left him immediately and I would have taken you and Molly with me.” She shook her head sadly, then started opening the door, ready to leave. She knew she was not wanted here, she had seen the glares everyone had thrown her way and knowing that Justin had thought so little of her even back then, hurt her. And she knew there was no one to blame but herself. The only reason why Justin had thought so badly of her was because she had never given him any indication that she was different than Craig. She had never given him any sign to show that she would have been on his and Brian's side. And that was her fault alone. How could she have been so blind and so much under Craig's thumb? She was disgusted with herself at that moment and couldn't blame the people at the table for being disgusted with her as well.

 

“Mom,” Justin started when he saw her opening the door, watching her from scared eyes. He wasn't sure what would happen if she left now.

 

Everyone had been so focused on Jennifer leaving that no one had noticed Brian getting up and leaving Justin's side. Justin had felt Brian's hand slip from his own, but had been too focused on his mother to give it much thought. He was surprised when he saw Brian walk over to the metal sliding door and pull it shut.

 

“Brian,” Jennifer said quietly, tears running down her cheeks.


“If you leave now, you will lose them both,” Brian nodded in the direction of where everyone was sitting, indicating Justin and Molly. “Don't give him that satisfaction,” Brian said seriously and Jennifer knew that he was referring to Craig Taylor, her former husband.

 

“Brian, I...am,” she started, but Brian just shut her off.


“This is not about you. It never was. Don't let them make it about you,” he said quietly, then took her hand and pulled her back to the table where everyone was eyeing them from confused eyes.


“Brian!” Molly angrily exclaimed when she saw Brian leading her mother back to the group. “How can you?”

 

“Molly, just shut up!” Justin said quietly, somehow sensing that this was something Brian needed to do. He didn't know why and he didn't know what was happening, but he would be damned if he went against Brian's wishes on this evening. He knew that Brian's story wasn't over yet and he knew what else Brian would have to tell the family and he would do whatever was needed to support Brian.

 

“She... she fucking let him get away with torturing your boyfriend!” Molly exclaimed angrily and only shut up when Brian was the one to reply to that.

 

“And I am the one that got tortured and I am telling you to drop it!”

 

“Why?” the teenager exclaimed furiously, not understanding why she should.

 

“Why? Because you have no idea what her life has been like in that house. Neither of you,” he said quietly as his gaze wandered from Molly to Justin and settled on his boyfriend's face. He held Justin's gaze as he went on talking. “As a slave... you notice a lot of things because people tend to ignore your presence when you are not on their radar... Molly, you were merely a child at the time and Justin, you were a teenager too concerned with your boyfriend and hormones to pay attention to anything else, but...,” Brian smiled when he got an angry 'Hey!' from Justin in return. “Her life in that house with your father... it was not an easy one. He was a controlling bastard and he would put her down any chance he got. You didn't want to see it or maybe you really didn't because she tried to hide a lot from you to make sure you both grew up happy. But... her life in that house was never a pleasant one and never as happy as she might have made you believe.”


“Brian,” Jennifer started quietly, not wanting Brian to go on.

 

“If she says she didn't know, I believe her. This is not her fault. And it's not your fault either,” Brian said with a look at Justin, knowing that despite what he was saying, Justin would always go on blaming himself for what had happened to Brian that day and afterwards because of his father. “The only one responsible is Craig Taylor.”

 

Brian walked back to his seat next to Justin's side and sat down. He looked at everyone around the table. “If you want to start playing a blame game, fine. Be my guests. But don't do it here and don't do it tonight! And be aware that you'll just be playing into the hands of the other side when you start tearing each other apart. You say you want to support us in any way that you can? Then put up a united front and figure out how to be the family we need you to be through all of this.”

 

With that Brian ended, looking around at everyone who sat at their table with a challenging look. Nobody spoke up and several people nodded. In the end it was Ted who spoke up.

 

“He is right. We can't support Brian and Justin during this trial if we start tearing each other apart. If he says he believes her, then I will do so as well.”

 

Several other people agreed with Ted and in the end it was Justin who spoke up. “Molly... please... let it rest for now. At least for tonight... please,” he pleaded with his sister, knowing that they still had a lot more painful memories to work through and that the last thing Brian needed right now was for the Taylor family to fall apart in his dining room.

 

In the end Molly nodded grudgingly, though it was clear to everyone that this was far from being over. Over the coming days there would be a lot to figure out for the Taylor family, but this was neither the time nor the place to start on that.

 


After everyone had calmed down again and a round of drinks had been handed out, everyone being in desperate need, people focused back on what mattered and that was Brian. Several people came over and gave him hugs and voiced their support, feeling sorry for one of their own having had to make it through something that terrible.

 

Brian took in all the hugs and comments and tried to accept them as graciously as he could. Once everyone was ready to settle down again, Brian got their attention once more and informed them that there was more he had to tell them.

 

“Oh god, please no,” Debbie breathed out, looking at Brian from anguished eyes. The poor boy, now a man had already been through so much in his young life and she wasn't sure if she could stomach hearing even more about bad things that had happened to him during recent years.

 

Brian got all his courage together and rushed through telling them about his time as a pleasure slave and the punishments he had received at the hands of Gary Sapperstein. He told them quietly about the cattle prod and how it had been used on his genitals as well as how Sapperstein had used to insert it into his anus and had tortured him by using it inside him. Brian told them about his wounds and how Sapperstein hadn't cared and had forced him to still perform his duties as a pleasure slave anyway. They needed to know the truth as it was more than likely that the truth would come out during the trial and he didn't want them to get a wrong image from whatever the press might make of it.

 

Everyone had been shocked and a deadly, shocked silence had settled on the loft once Brian had finished his sordid tale of the torture he had endured at the hands of Sapperstein.

Looking around the table and judging by the expressions on everyone's face, Justin was glad that Sapperstein was nowhere near them. He was not sure the man would have survived running into their family right now. Several members of their family looked ready to kill him with his bare hands.

 

Emmett, Debbie and Lindsay were crying openly, tears running down their faces, their eyes looking pained and shocked. Everyone else was sitting in a shocked silence, clearly still trying to work through what Brian had told them.


Knowing that Brian was totally spent after the emotional rollercoaster he had been on that night and after living through his sordid past once more, it was Justin who spoke next.

 

“We know that it's a lot to ask and... we know how this will affect all of you once any of this becomes public knowledge,” he started, looking at everyone of their friends now sitting around their table. His gaze rested on Molly when he continued. “We know how this might affect your school life and... we also know how it will affect Gus,” Justin continued as his gaze shifted to Melanie and Lindsay. “We are aware of how other parents might react once all of this becomes public and... we know their children will hear about it in some way or other too and will bring it into school with them... We... We know it's a lot to ask and we do understand if any of you don't want to be involved in this trial going forward, but... we just wanted to let you know ourselves and we wanted to ask you for your support anyways.”

 

One by one heads were raised and eyes locked on him and Brian. It was Debbie who spoke first. “Don't be ridiculous, Sunshine. Of course we'll support you. You are our family and that's what family does. We protect each other!”

 

“Whatever you need, we'll be here,” Michael added, Ben at his side nodding eagerly.

 

“You already know that we're on your side and will support you through all of it,” Lindsay said quietly, Melanie agreeing with her.

 

“Baby, you couldn't stop me from supporting you, if you sent me back to Hazlehurst. Don't even doubt us for a second. We're on your and Brian's side,” Emmett said quietly but with conviction.

 

“Agreed. Whatever you'll need, you have our support,” Ted and Blake added.

 

Justin's gaze then wandered to his mother and Molly and it settled on his mother. “Mom, I won't blame you if you don't want to do this or want to keep Molly out of this,” he said quietly. He knew that this would be way different for her and his sister as it involved his father and there would be information about his family coming out that his mother probably would prefer to keep private.

 

“Are you kidding me? There is no way she will be able to keep me from supporting you,” Molly angrily exclaimed and Justin couldn't help but smile at the fire and fight in her. Sometimes she reminded him so much of himself when he was her age.

 

“Molly... you're too young to really see the big picture,” Brian said quietly, speaking for the first time since his tale had ended.

 

“Oh, I see alright. My father is a prick. And now the whole world is going to find out. Well, I am fine with that. He is dead to me.”

 

“Molly,” Jennifer chided gently, but stopped when Molly just glared at her. Instead she turned to look at Brian and Justin. “What you're doing... it's so incredibly brave... For you to take on this fight and facing the memories and repercussions of all the things you have told us tonight... I don't have words to express how proud I am of you two right now for taking on this fight. And... don't you worry about me or Molly or anyone else. We will be fine. You just take care of yourselves and let us know what we can do to help you. It's the least we can do for you.”

 

No one said it, but everyone understood the unspoken words she hadn't said. It was the least she could do for them after everything Brian and Justin had been through in her family and her home.

 

After everyone had pledged their support, the evening broke up and people started leaving the loft. They agreed to meet again for the next Sunday dinner at Debbie's house and there were lots of hugs and pats on the back and lots of statements of support and help for Brian and Justin.

 

Once everyone had left, they took a quick shower and cuddled together into their bed. Both of them were emotionally drained and tired.


“Well... that was one crazy evening,” Justin whispered, running his hand over Brian's chest.

 

“Molly is a real firecracker,” Brian chuckled.

 

“Do you think her and mom will be alright?” Justin asked and Brian could easily hear the fear in his voice.

 

“Will you and your mom be alright?” Brian asked instead, knowing that this was really what Justin was scared about. Yes, he was also scared about Molly's relationship with his mother, but Brian knew that something had also shifted in Justin's relationship with her tonight.

 

“I... I don't know... I have never really confronted her about what happened back then in the way Molly did tonight and... I should have, but... I never did... what does that say about me?”

 

“That you were ready to leave the past in the past where it belongs and to move on,” Brian stated quietly.

 

“Doesn't it make me cold and uncaring that I just ignored such a big part of our past and never asked her about her view of what went down then?”

 

“If there are two things you're not, it's cold and uncaring. And I know that you're beating yourself up endlessly about what happened then. You were just trying to move forward in your relationship with your mom. And you did. Look at the relationship you two have now. Hell, she's the one who gave you the whole idea for this trial,” Brian pointed out.

 

“Yeah, but... I should have talked to her about that. I should have made her tell me her side of things.”

“You've heard it now.”

 

“And I am to believe that she honestly didn't know?” Justin turned outraged eyes to Brian and met his gaze.

 

“I believe her,” Brian stated quietly, looking up at the ceiling when he spoke.


“What did you mean tonight when you said that there are things that she hid from Molly and me?”

 

“Exactly what I said.”

 

“Brian... don't give me that. What were you talking about?”

 

“I told you before that your father was an arrogant prick and I hated him from the first day I arrived at your house. Your mom... she came from a different background and... slaves were normal for her, but... she was nice. She treated me okay which... in her circles means a lot. You and Molly were only children, but... I was older and... there were things in your house that you have never noticed and she didn't want you and Molly to know.”


“What things?”

 

“Your father ruled the house with an iron fist. And that also included your mother. He... he kept her under his thumb and... I am pretty sure she was barely allowed to leave the house without his prior approval.”

 

“Brian, don't be ridiculous.”

 

“Justin... I would hear them argue and... I would hear what other servants in your house like the cleaning lady and the gardener would have to say... Your mother was under Craig Taylor's thumb just as much as everyone else in that house was. She put on a brave face to make you and Molly believe that you were growing up in a happy family, but... life wasn't easy for her in that house and if she says she didn't know, I believe her.”

 

“How can you just excuse her like that?”

 

Brian sighed, then turned on his side, so he could face Justin. “It's in the past. It doesn't matter anymore. What matters is how she is now. She loves you and Molly and she loves you enough to even be able to accept me. Hell, she loves you enough to have given you the suggestion for the trial and to promise you her support even if it means that there will be a lot of dirty laundry coming out publicly about her former marriage and her personal life. That means a lot, Justin. You should focus on that.”

 

Justin listened to what Brian was saying and contemplated his words. He knew that he would have to talk to his mother and Molly in upcoming days. He knew they couldn't just leave what had happened this evening out in the open like that.

 

 

***

 

 

Over the course of the next days Justin met with his mother and Molly a couple of times and they talked about what had come up the evening when Brian had told them the truth about the torture he had endured at Craig's hands.

 

For the first time ever Jennifer had honestly told them about what her life had been like as Craig's wife and Justin had been surprised by how spot on Brian had been with his assessment of the situation. From what Jennifer had said, she had been unhappy for years and Craig had treated her more like a servant than his wife for a long time, but she had put up a happy front for the sake of Justin and Molly, wanting them to have a good childhood.


She had told Justin how she had experienced that day and the weeks after and once again Brian's assessment had been confirmed. She had told him how Craig had told her about Brian attempting to rape Justin and how he had locked Brian away after his attempted rape of Justin. She had believed Craig and when Craig had ordered her to stay away from the basement as well as Justin as Justin now needed his father to make it past what had happened, to guide him back to a good, religious, straight life, she had followed his orders as usual. She hadn't known that Brian had been hurt that badly and she hadn't known about anything that had went down that day. The night it had all happened, she had been at a charity function and hadn't been in the house. The day Brian had been sold, she had been at the country club for an event. She hadn't known that Brian had been injured at the hands of Craig Taylor and had been lying hurt in her basement for several weeks. No one had told her.

 

She had blamed herself immensely after she had heard Brian's story and had blamed herself for not having been the kind of mother that Justin could have come to and could have confided in. They had had several painful conversations about the kind of mother she had been and the kind of mother him and Molly would have needed and deserved and she had begged him to believe that if she had known all the details of what had gone down that day, that she would have left Craig a lot earlier, not caring about anything but her children's safety.

 

When Justin had left his family home at the age of 17, she had started to doubt the story that Craig had told her about the events that had happened in her house in previous weeks, but as he had forbidden her from going and looking for Justin, she hadn't had a choice, but to accept his version of the story for the sake of Molly.

 

In the end Justin knew that Brian had been right and all of that was in the past. They couldn't change it and instead Justin followed Brian's advice and focused on their current situation instead. Jennifer had become a mother he could be proud of, a mother that he knew was on his side no matter what and she had even accepted his relationship with Brian and he knew that she even liked Brian. They had become quite close as well over the months since she had been back in Justin's life and that was really all that mattered. They couldn't change the past, but at least he had a mother now that he could be proud of.


It had taken Molly a bit longer to come to the same conclusion, but after Brian had talked to her and had offered her his view of things, she had finally followed Justin's example and had forgiven their mother. In the end she knew that everyone was right: With the trial about to start, they needed to be a family and needed to stick together. Things would be hard enough on all of them even without them fighting. She might still be a teenager, but she was old enough to realise that much herself as well.