- Text Size +

 

Kidnapped!

" 2 "

The Corvette pulled up in front of Mel and Lindsay's old house. Mel lived there by herself now with Jenny Rebecca. Lindsay and Gus had moved to an apartment not far away. Brian knew that both women would be there. Gus had had lunch with them and the baby before Brian and Justin had picked him up earlier in the day. Lindsay had stayed on to spend time with Jenny Rebecca. She and Mel were still talking but so far there was no reconciliation in sight.

"How the fuck am I going to tell them?" Brian asked as he stared at the door with trepidation.

"You're just going to have to say it. I'll be with you," Justin told him lacing his fingers through Brian's.

"I don't know if I can do this. I don't want it to be true."

"I know. I don't either."

Brian let out a long breath. "Let's get this the fuck over with," Brian said with an unsteady voice, as he steeled himself for the onslaught he knew would be coming once they went inside.

They walked slowly up the steps and Brian rang the bell. Lindsay answered the door surprised to see them standing there.

"Did you forget something?" she asked looking out at the Corvette. "Did you leave Gus in the car?" she said with a frown.

Brian shook his head. "We need to come in. I have something to tell you."

"You're scaring me, Brian. Where's Gus?"

"Let us in and I'll explain," Brian said taking her arm and half shoving her towards the living room.

Just then Melanie came down the stairs having put Jenny down for a nap. "What the fuck are you two doing back here?"

"Something's happened," Brian stated.

"Oh my God," Lindsay gasped. "Is Gus hurt? Was there an accident?"

Brian shook his head. "No, no accident."

"For fuck's sake, Brian, what's going on?" Lindsay demanded.

"Somebody grabbed Gus at the park."

"Grabbed…" Lindsay said looking confused.

"What the hell does that mean?" Melanie snarled.

"Somebody took Gus from the park," Brian said slowly.

"Took … as in kidnapped?" Melanie asked her voice rising.

Lindsay moaned and Brian saw her crumple and caught her, lowering her gently into a chair. "Brian, oh no, Brian," she moaned.

"How the fuck could you let this happen?" Melanie demanded.

"We didn't let it happen," Justin said feeling he had to defend their actions.

"What happened?" Lindsay whispered. "Where is he?"

"I don't know, Lindz. I'm so sorry," Brian whispered back kneeling beside her and taking her hands which were suddenly cold in his own.

"What happened?" she asked her voice hardly above a whisper.

"He was on the slides and then he was … gone."

"Weren't you fucking watching him?" Melanie shrieked.

"Of course we were," Justin said.

"Then who took him?"

"We … we didn't see what happened," Justin admitted.

"What were you two assholes doing … fucking behind a tree?"

"Mel," Lindsay moaned.

"We were not fucking, and we were watching him," Brian said through gritted teeth.

"Then why the fuck isn't he here with you?" Melanie demanded not willing to give Brian an inch.

"What happened, Brian?" Lindsay asked again wanting to know how her son could have disappeared. Her face was as white as a sheet and her hands were trembling even though Brian was holding on to them tightly.

"We … we were walking in the park, and you know how Gus loves the slides…" Brian began and then his voice kind of gave out as he relived those awful moments.

"Gus ran over to the slide and waved to us from the top," Justin continued the story. "Brian and I were talking on the path when this skateboarder elbowed me and almost mowed me down. He knocked me flat on my ass. By the time Brian and some other man helped me up Gus was gone."

"Just like that? And now Gus is gone and you two are standing here just fucking fine?" Melanie asked bluntly.

"You know, Melanie, sometimes you are a real cunt. We're just as worried as you are. We never meant for this to happen." Justin shook his head in disbelief at her hurtful words.

Melanie glowered at Justin and made some guttural comment that sounded like, "Fucking asshole."

"Brian, why would they take him? What do they want?" Lindsay asked between sobs. She extricated her hand from Brian's and clung to his arm like it might somehow bring her closer to Gus.

"I don't know. The police thought it might be money. They wanted to know if I had money … and enemies."

"Well, you do!" Mel stated bluntly.

"What do you mean?" Brian asked.

"You fucking know! You have your own ad agency and you've screwed half of Pittsburgh both literally and figuratively."

"Fuck you, Mel."

"It's the truth. Remember Kip Thomas and the sexual harassment suit. Stockwell can't be exactly pleased with you either, asshole that you are."

"But you can't seriously think that either of them would take Gus," Justin said.

"Somebody fucking did! Why not them?"

"Mel…"

"I can't believe either Stockwell or Kip would do something as low as this," Brian stated.

"Brian, what are the police doing to get him back?" Lindsay asked shakily.

"I gave them a picture and they have put out some kind of bulletin. I have to go back to the loft and wait for contact from the kidnappers," Brian explained.

"I'm coming with you."

"Maybe you should stay here with Melanie. There's nothing you can do."

"I want to be there. I have to know…"

"Okay, okay," Brian conceded. "You can come with us."

"Are you going to come too, Mel?" Lindsay asked.

"I'll stay here with Jenny Rebecca."

"Of course," Lindsay said abruptly.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Mel demanded.

"Ever since you got your own child, it's like Gus has become a second class son where you are concerned," Lindsay said hoping she didn't sound petty, but knowing it had to be said.

"Fuck you, Lindz. Gus is as much mine as he is yours. Are you saying I don't care?"

"If the shoe fits…" Lindsay said donning her coat in preparation to leave with Brian.

"I can't believe you are fucking talking to me like that."

"Let's go, Brian. Maybe they'll call soon."

"I'll try to get a babysitter and come over later," Melanie said as they marched out the door.

Lindsay rode with Brian in the Corvette and Justin drove Lindsay's car so that it would be at the loft if she needed it. Brian and Lindsay remained silent, each thinking of what they could do to get Gus back and wondering how they would fucking survive if they didn't.

"What are we going to do if…" Lindsay asked as they pulled up to the loft.

"Don't say it. We'll get him back. We have to."

"I'm so scared."

Brian pulled her into a hug. "So am I," he whispered against her hair. They clung to each other praying for the return of their little boy.

After a minute Justin pulled up in Lindsay's car. They all got out and went into the loft building. A few minutes later Detective Lopez arrived. She explained how they were going to tap the phone so they could trace the call if and when it came in. Brian asked about his cell phone and was told that the cell company monitored them. There wasn't much they could do if the people who had Gus decided to go that route. She also asked if Brian had money enough to cover a ransom request. Brian said he could swing a sizeable amount but since it was now Saturday evening he didn't know how he could get money before Monday morning. The detective said she thought the perpetrators would realize that, and therefore, they might not contact Brian until Sunday. That set them all off wondering how they could stand getting through the night without knowing anything.

"Gus will be so scared," Lindsay whispered. "He's never been away from us."

"He's a brave little boy," Justin said quietly.

Brian continued to stare out the loft windows like Gus might appear on the street below at any second. Justin knew Brian was holding on by the thinnest of threads. He stayed away because he was afraid that if he touched the man he would fly into a million pieces right before his eyes.

"Mr. Kinney," Detective Lopez said. Brian turned slowly. "We have the phone monitored, so we're going to leave you alone now. I don't know how long you might have to wait." Brian nodded. "I would also suggest that if you have someone who takes care of your finances, you alert them. We might need the money in a hurry on Monday, so it would be best to be prepared." Brian nodded again. "Here's my cell number. If they use your cell phone to contact you, call me immediately. Better still while you talk to them have someone else call me. I'll answer immediately and we'll be on them that much quicker." Brian nodded once more.

Detective Lopez and the technician made their way to the door. Justin went to see them out. Suddenly Lindsay rushed over.

"You're going to find him, aren't you?" Lindsay asked clinging to the woman's arm. "He's going to be all right? He has to be."

"We'll do our best," the detective replied as she withdrew her arm from Lindsay's grasp and headed to the elevator.

"Oh God, Justin, what are we going to do?" Lindsay said tears springing from her eyes. "What are we going to do?"

Justin hugged her and felt his own tears well up. He glanced over at Brian who stared at them from some place far away. He didn't think he could bear that look in Brian's eyes. He glanced away knowing that Brian didn't even know he was there.