- Text Size +

 

Kidnapped!

" 3 "

Some time later, although they would be hard pressed to know how much time had passed, the buzzer sounded signaling someone's presence at the front door of the building. They all jumped and Lindsay turned even paler than she had been.

Justin went to the intercom and spoke quietly. It was Melanie. He pulled back the loft door as Melanie arrived in the elevator with Jenny in her car seat.

"I didn't think you were coming over," Justin said trying not to sound bitter.

"Have you heard anything?" she asked anxiously. Justin shook his head. "I tried to get a babysitter, but no one wanted to do it. I had to bring her."

Jenny was asleep and Justin offered to take her up to the bedroom. Melanie handed her over. Justin carried the sleeping baby and set the carrier down at the foot of the bed where they could see her from below.

"Are you all right?" Melanie asked Lindsay sitting down beside her on the couch. Lindsay just stared blankly. She seemed totally shell shocked. Brian stared out the window oblivious to Melanie's arrival.

The buzzer sounded again and Justin went to answer it. He spoke quietly, but firmly. Finally he sighed and released the door. He pulled the loft door back and went over to Brian.

"Brian," he said softly touching the man's arm. Brian turned slightly. "Debbie and Michael are coming up. Deb's brought some food."

"How … why?" Brian shrugged.

"I told Deb what happened when I called to ask her to baby-sit," Mel said matter of factly. "In fact I think most of the gang are coming over. That's why I couldn't get a babysitter."

Brian glared at Melanie and Justin wanted to tell her to mind her own fucking business, but the elevator deposited Debbie and Michael at their doorstep at that moment. Justin went to help them with the food. He so wanted to tell Melanie to take her baby and get the fuck out.

Melanie went over to Debbie who hugged her and asked about Jenny Rebecca. She told Melanie how sorry she was about what had happened with Gus. Michael headed for Brian gently rubbing the man's arm as he tried to console him. They didn't say anything.

"What the fuck happened?" Debbie asked Melanie.

"Justin and asshole over there had Gus in the park and somebody snatched him," Melanie replied.

"How could they just take the boy?" Debbie demanded.

"That's what I wanted to know," Melanie replied. "But nobody can really explain how Gus has disappeared when supposedly those two were watching him."

The buzzer sounded again and Ted and Emmett were allowed up. Justin wondered what the fuck he should do. He knew that Brian didn't want all these people there. He was already blaming himself for what had happened, and now everybody was going to be demanding explanations, explanations that neither of them could really give. It couldn't be good.

Emmett rushed in. "Any news yet?"

Everybody shook their head or mumbled 'no'.

"I can't believe Gus is gone," Emmett replied.

"He's not gone," Lindsay sobbed. "He's coming back to me. I know he is."

"Of course, sweetie," Emmett said looking over at Brian.

"Let's get the food ready," Debbie said convinced as always that food made any situation better.

Emmett and Justin went to help set it out. Brian continued to stare out the window. Michael stood stoically beside him. Before long the food was laid out and everyone was invited to get a plate and help themselves. People began loading their plates. Brian and Lindsay remained where they were not in the least bit hungry.

"You should probably eat something," Justin said quietly to Brian. Brian shook his head. Justin shrugged and went to get something for himself.

"I still don't understand how this could have happened," Debbie said loudly looking at Brian's back. "If anybody ever let Jenny Rebecca out of their sight for a second, I'd take their fucking head off."

"It wasn't like that," Justin said weakly.

"Well, maybe if somebody didn't go around screwing everything that moves, and making an army of enemies as a result, this would never have happened," Melanie said with a very superior sounding attitude.

"Brian didn't mean for this to happen," Justin said,

"But it did happen, and I think Melanie's right. It has to be someone that Brian has screwed," Debbie declared.

Emmett and Ted nodded their agreement.

"Where do you even start to look for a possible perpetrator among the thousands Brian has fucked?" Ted asked.

"Do you think it could have anything to do with business?" Melanie piped up. "Has Brian stolen somebody's account recently?"

Ted shrugged and shook his head. He realized that maybe he had already said too much.

"Who was that guy that was going to sue you, Brian?" Michael asked. "Maybe he's a suspect."

"Kip Thomas," Melanie said knowingly. "I already thought about him, and Stockwell, and Vance, and about a million disgruntled tricks."

"And while you're at it, why the fuck don't you include my cunt sister and her spawn of the devil, or my loving mother, or my fucking dead father?" Brian screamed at them. "They all hated me too, and wanted a horrible fate to finally chew me up and spit me out. Well it has! Now get your slimy asses off my furniture, take your food and your criticism, and whatever pretend sympathy you brought with you, and get the fuck out of my home! NOW!!!"

Justin looked at Brian whose forehead throbbed like a blood vessel was about to burst. Justin was afraid Brian was going to have a stroke. Jenny Rebecca started to cry as the loud voice awoke her. Melanie grabbed her daughter and headed out in a huff. "Asshole," was thrown over her shoulder as she left.

"Brian…" Michael began.

"Did I not make myself clear?" Brian screamed. "That includes you too. Get out! All of you!"

Nobody could ever remember Brian being in such a state. He was usually so under control. Everyone stood and began to make their way out of the loft. They mumbled to each other about what a fucking asshole Brian was and spoke softly to Justin asking him to keep them informed of what was happening. He mumbled something in response but knew he wouldn't be contacting any of them any time soon.

Finally only Justin, Brian and Lindsay remained.

"I can't go," Lindsay said tears rolling down her cheeks. "I have to know what's happened to Gus."

"You can stay," Brian whispered. Lindsay stepped into Brian's embrace and they both began to cry. They held onto each other supporting each other, loving each other, and mourning what had happened.

"You guys okay?" Justin asked after a bit. He felt like an intruder on their grief.

"I … I guess," Brian choked out. He stepped away from Lindsay and wiped his eyes. "As good as I'm ever going to be…"

Justin wanted to hold Brian and make it all right, but he knew he shouldn't touch him just yet. He went over to the remaining food and made a plate for each of his wards.

"I know you don't want this, but eat a bit for me," he pleaded handing each of them a plate. "It could be a long night and you need your strength."

Lindsay looked up at him through wet lashes. She took the plate and kissed him on the cheek. She went over to the sofa, sat down wearily and began to pick at the food. At least that was something she could do.

Brian stared at the plate fighting the urge to pitch it across the loft. He knew Justin was trying to help, but nothing could help. He felt so guilty and so helpless and such a failure. He had lost the one good thing in his life. He looked into Justin's worried eyes and realized that he had had two good things in his life, and one of them was still here trying to help him. He took the plate, kissed Justin on the cheek and went to sit beside Lindsay.

Justin let out a long, slow breath. He had thought Brian was going to hurl the plate of food across the loft. He watched Brian take a couple of bites. That was good. At least he had been able to do something that might help a little bit.

The evening dragged on and the phone remained silent. Periodically they checked the loft door to see if someone had snuck up and left a message. They called Detective Lopez hoping there might be some new leads. Nothing.

About ten o'clock Justin suggested that Lindsay should go home and get some rest.

"I don't think I can stand to be by myself … without Gus," she gulped.

"But the loft really isn't conducive to having guests," Justin replied.

"I could sleep on the sofa," she offered.

"What about calling Melanie and staying with her. Gus is her son too."

Lindsay made a face, but she realized that Justin didn't really want her there. She knew it would be uncomfortable while Justin tried to console Brian in the only way that Brian would understand. She sighed and reached for her cell phone. She hit Melanie's number.

"Mel," she began.

"Have you heard something?"

"No, no, nothing like that. I wondered if I could come over and spend the night with you. I don't want to be alone."

"Can't you stay with the asshole and his consort?" Melanie snarked.

"The loft isn't really good for that."

"Well, I'm in the middle of a big case. I'm going to be working on my plea to the judge all weekend. It's a very important custody case and I'm going to win," she said proudly.

"That's great, Mel, but can you at least sit with me a bit?"

"I really don't have the time. This has to be perfect. You can come over if you want, but don't bother me. I need to concentrate."

Lindsay shook her head. "Never mind," she said and hung up. She looked over at Brian and Justin who were both looking out the window now. "I guess I'll go home," she said slowly. "Mel's involved in some custody case and she doesn't want to be interrupted."

"Bitch!" Brian reacted.

"I'll go now … get out of your way."

"No, Lindsay," Brian said softly. "I'm not sending you home alone. We need to be together for Gus … for us."

"Are you sure?" she asked her heart soaring at Brian's kind words. Sometimes Brian did understand on a very deep level.

"I'm sure. We'll put clean linen on the bed. You take it. Justin and I can sleep on the futon cushions."

"I … I don't want to put you out."

"It's fine. Let's get the bed made up," Brian said to Justin as he moved towards the bedroom. It was good to have something useful to do instead of just standing around and thinking. He wished he could stop thinking, stop reliving that moment in the park when they realized Gus was gone. It was going to be one hell of a long night.