- Text Size +

 

Kidnapped!

" 6 "

The following day Brian noted that the number of reporters had lessened. The public had a very short attention span even if the case was about a missing child. Without some definite developments there was nothing to catch the interest of the viewer and the whole story soon disappeared from sight.

Brian wasn't sure whether he was happy or sad about that. He was glad to have less of a hassle getting into his office, but he wanted people to continue to watch for Gus. Somebody might spot him somewhere and they might then be able to get him back.

The day dragged by without anything happening until about 3 pm. Cynthia buzzed to say that Detective Lopez was on the line. Brian's heart thumped erratically in his chest as he told her to put the call through.

"Hello," Brian said finding it difficult to breathe.

"Mr. Kinney, could you come over to the home of Melanie Marcus?"

"Why?" Brian asked with a frown. "What's going on?"

"I'd like to discuss this with you in person rather than over the phone."

"What do you want to discuss? Is … is …. is Gus dead?" He could barely get the words out of his mouth. He was sure this had to be why the detective had called.

"No, Mr. Kinney, we don't know that, but it does involve some information about Gus."

"I'll be right there," Brian said and immediately got up. "Cynthia," he bellowed, "I'm gone for the next few hours. Hold the fort."

"Sure," she said as he raced out the door.

Ten minutes later Lindsay was letting him into Melanie's house. A very white and visibly shaken Melanie Marcus sat on the couch. Brian took one look at her and was sure all over again that Gus was dead.

"What … what's going on?" he asked hesitantly not wanting to hear the awful words come out of someone's mouth.

"A couple of hours ago Ms Marcus called me to say that the kidnappers had contacted her," Detective Lopez said.

"Contacted … her?" Brian asked staring at Melanie. "Why her?"

"That's what I intend to explain," Detective Lopez continued. "It seems that on Sunday evening she received a phone call from someone who told her that if she ever wanted to see her son again she had to follow his instructions very carefully."

"Sunday evening?" Brian said slowly. "You heard something on Sunday evening and you never fucking told us?" Brian's voice continued to rise as he spoke until he was almost screaming.

"I … I thought I was doing the right thing," Melanie choked out.

"What the fuck is she talking about?" Brian demanded. "What is going on?"

"Ms Marcus was told that she had to screw up her summation for the Garoni trial. If Gianni Garoni got custody of his son, then Gus would be returned."

"But he lost custody. I heard that on the news last night," Brian said.

"That's correct," Detective Lopez said.

"So you couldn't even fucking make enough of a mess of the case to lose when you needed to?" Brian yelled. "I can't fucking believe this."

"Please, Mr. Kinney," the detective said. "Calm down. This isn't helping."

"So what's being done? This must mean that the Garonis know where Gus is."

"I'm afraid not," the detective replied.

"What? Why not?"

"When Ms Marcus called me we went directly to the Garoni estate. There was no sign of Gus anywhere and of course, they deny any knowledge of the boy or of the call."

"But why would Melanie lie?" Brian asked bewildered. "Surely they must have known that she would report what happened."

"They thought they would have custody of the son at that point and there would be no need to pursue the kidnapping when Gus was mysteriously returned."

"But they don't have custody. And they have my son," Brian said forcefully.

"We have no proof of that," the detective said. "The call to Ms Marcus' cell phone was from one of those disposable kind of cell phones. There's little hope of tracing it. The Garonis deny knowing anything and there is no sign of Gus anywhere."

"So what are you going to do?" Brian asked looking to Lindsay for support.

"There's little we can do. It's too late if your son has been taken out of the country."

"Out of the country?" Brian yelled.

"The Garonis have property in several countries around the world."

"Can't Interpol or Scotland Yard or the fucking CIA do something?"

"They've been alerted, but there are no guarantees. The Garonis will play this close to the vest."

"So what do we do?"

"We wait."

"Wait? I've been waiting for three fucking days. How much longer?"

The detective shook her head and Brian knew that meant they might have to wait forever, and even then they might not find out anything.

"Christ!" he said swiping his hand through his hair.

"I'm going to go now," Detective Lopez said. "If I find out anything I'll be in touch."

She made her way to the door and Lindsay showed her out. Brian stared at Melanie wondering how she could have taken matters into her own hands and not told them what was going on.

"Brian," Lindsay said as she came back into the room. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No, I'd like a fucking explanation of what she thought she was playing at." His outstretched finger pointed directly at Melanie.

"I … thought I was doing the right thing," Melanie said shakily.

"She didn't mean for it to go wrong," Lindsay said defending her. "Come to the kitchen and I'll get you some coffee."

Brian understood that Lindsay wanted him to leave Melanie alone. He debated telling the incompetent lawyer just exactly what he thought of her, but she was already so beaten down he didn't have the heart for it. He followed Lindsay to the kitchen.

"How can you be so fucking calm about this?" Brian demanded.

"I'm not calm. I'm just holding on by a thread. At least we know what may have happened to our son."

"What? That he's under the control of the mob. God only knows what they may do to him."

"I … I think he's safe," Lindsay said softly handing him a cup of coffee.

"How can you say that?"

"You didn't hear everything that they said to Melanie. She told me all of it before the detective arrived."

"All of it? What do you mean?"

"The phone call … the one from the kidnapper … they told Melanie that it was her son for their son. They called it a fair trade. They would have their boy one way or another."

"And you think that means that they won't hurt Gus."

Lindsay nodded. "It sounds like they will keep Gus as their son to replace the boy they lost."

"And you're happy about that?" Brian asked in disbelief.

"Of course I'm not happy about it. But I do think they will keep him alive. They'll look after him and treat him like their son. And … and he won't be dead, even if I never see him again." A tear rolled down Lindsay's cheek.

Brian pulled her to him and held her in his arms as she wept softly for their little boy. After a minute she pulled away and wiped her face.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"I don't understand why they can't find Gus if they know who has him," Brian said shaking his head.

"Apparently they have Gianni Garoni under surveillance, but he has to be expecting that. He has done nothing suspicious. Somebody else in their family or their contacts must have Gus."

"But who?"

"Don't you think I'm going nuts wondering the same thing? The police said they would do everything they could to find out where Gus is, but this is the mafia we're dealing with and in foreign countries." Lindsay shook her head.

Brian stared at her. He wanted to go to the Garoni estate and rip the balls off each family member until one of them cracked and told him where his son was. His chest heaved with rage knowing that he would never be able to do that.

"What are we going to do?" Brian asked.

"Wait."

Brian let out a loud sigh. "I don't think I can take another day of waiting."

"You can and you will. And somehow we will get him back."

"I fucking hope you're right."

"I have to be."

"And what about her?" Brian asked cocking his head towards the living room.

"Melanie? What about her?" Lindsay frowned.

Brian wanted to scream at her that Melanie was responsible for Gus being kidnapped. She was the one the kidnappers had contacted. She had decided to take matters into her own hands and not tell anyone. She had won the Garoni case instead of losing it. Because of her they might never see Gus again.

"Aside from wanting to kill her is she going to be all right?" Brian said.

Lindsay gave a crooked little smile. Everybody thought Brian was such an asshole but he could be very kind too. "She's taking it pretty hard. She honestly thought she would lose the case and get Gus back."

"Ever the hero!" Brian observed with a rueful smile.

"She tried, but it … didn't work out."

"I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something that I could do that might help us find Gus."

"I don't think there's anything any of us can do," Lindsay said.

"Probably not, but I would feel a lot better if I could do something."

"I know. So would I."

"What if Gus is in another country? He's only a little boy. He'll be so scared."

"Little boys are very adaptable. I actually do feel better knowing that he will be treated like the Garoni's son."

Brian looked up at Lindsay. "You are pretty amazing."

"No, I'm not. I just want Gus to live … even if it is without us."

"And I want him back."