- Text Size +

 

Kidnapped!

" 8 "

Brian sat across the desk from the middle aged man. He stared at Chester Blackburn sizing up the man. He seemed at first look like an innocuous, non-descript kind of guy. Brian wondered what the fuck had possessed him to go there.

"So, Mr. Kinney, what can I do for you?"

"I'm not sure you can do anything for me."

"Then why are you here?"

"Do you know Carl Horvath?" Blackburn nodded but didn't gush about their friendship or how long they had known each other. Brian liked that. "He sent me."

"Carl occasionally sends people to consult with me."

"He thought you might be able to help me."

"In finding your son?" Blackburn asked.

"Did Carl tell you I was coming?" Brian asked looking at Blackburn quizzically.

"No," the detective said shaking his head. "I read the papers. I'm very sorry about what happened to your son."

"How much do you know about it?"

"Whatever was published. Plus, I've had dealings with the Garoni family before. They don't lose easily … at anything."

"Dealings?"

"I was a witness in a court case against Gianni Garoni."

"What was that about?"

"He had beaten up some guy in a bar fight. Gianni has always been the wild one in the family, always in trouble, always looking for trouble, a real sadistic streak."

"Sounds like a real charmer," Brian said sarcastically. "So what was your role in the trial."?

"I had been following someone who happened to be in the bar the night the fight took place. I testified against Garoni, said he started the fight, that he had been drunk and belligerent and had instigated the confrontation."

"So what happened?"

"He had five witnesses who contradicted what I said. He got off."

"I bet the Garonis were pleased with your part in the fucking trial."

"I had a couple of threats thrown my way, but Gianni got off."

"And then they didn't have to beat your brains in."

"Not that they wouldn't have liked to," Blackburn chuckled wryly.

"I'd say you got off lucky."

"Unlike you and your son's mothers."

"Yeah. That stupid cunt Melanie Marcus had to fuck everything up by trying to fix it all by herself."

"She was just following their instructions. I doubt the outcome would have been a lot different if she had told the police. It was probably too late to change the verdict by then."

"Why the fuck are you defending her?"

Blackburn shook his head. "I'm not defending her. It's just that with the Garonis taking your son the outcome could never be good. Gianni has a history of screwing up big time."

"Then why the fuck didn't he screw up the kidnapping?"

"That's an interesting question," Blackburn said chewing on the end of his pen. "I have a theory."

"A theory?"

"Yeah, I keep an eye on the Garonis."

"So … so what's this theory?" Brian asked genuinely interested now.

"Gianni is a real momma's boy. His mother coddles him and helps him cover up his mistakes. I bet the grande dame of the Garoni family was behind the kidnapping. She has considerable influence in many circles even if her husband chooses to think otherwise."

"So you're saying she had someone or several someones kidnap Gus. Then she must know where he is. Can we get to him through her?" Brian asked. He unconsciously moved forward in his seat suddenly feeling like this revelation could lead to getting his son back.

"I doubt it. Besides, she has been out of the country for a few months."

"Out of the country?" Brian said almost to himself. "Could she have taken Gus with her?"

"That's certainly a possibility," Blackburn agreed. "She has a house in the Caribbean on a little island they own near Barbados."

"Jesus, do you think Gus is there?" Brian asked feeling excited about finding Gus for the first time in ages.

"Let me finish," Blackburn cautioned. "They have a large family estate on Sicily. It's almost impregnable, and would be totally safe if that's where they have your son."

"You mean we could never get him away from there?"

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be very difficult. Plus, they also have homes in New York and Miami."

"So where would you start?" Brian asked.

"Are you hiring me?"

"Fuck yes! You've told me more about the Garonis in an hour than that other fucking private dick told me in a month."

"I heard you hired Sambellini," Blackburn chuckled. "He's a fucking idiot."

"An expensive idiot."

"So why did you hire him?"

"I wasn't thinking straight. He had a nice office and charged a big fee. I thought he knew what the fuck he was doing. And he was Italian."

"I see your thought process, but he is all show and no flow."

Brian chuckled. He liked this guy. "And just how much are you going to charge me?"

"Depends if you want me to get into the international locations. That won't be cheap."

"I realize that. But I'll pay anything if you can get results."

"You should never say that. It's an open invitation to overcharge."

"I honestly don't care. I just want Gus back."

Blackburn studied Brian Kinney for a minute or two. He had to admit that he liked the man. He had only spoken to him for an hour but he could feel the man's commitment to getting his son back. Blackburn thought maybe he could help Kinney do that. At the same time he could shove it to the Garonis. This was a win/win situation.

"Let me look into a few things," Blackburn said. "I'll put out some feelers and see what rears its ugly head."

"Okay," Brian agreed.

"I'll be in touch in a few days."

Brian left Chester Blackburn's office feeling hopeful for the first time since Gus had disappeared.

Weeks went by. Brian met with Chester once a week. He received an update on what had been accomplished. But he also received encouragement about the possibility of finding Gus and getting him back. To Brian that was almost as important as the news he received. It gave him a purpose to go on.

Justin saw the change in Brian after the first visit with Chester Blackburn. At the time he didn't know what had caused Brian to have a little bounce in his step and a civil tongue in his head, but he was grateful for whatever had caused it. It didn't happen immediately after Debbie's dinner, so Justin didn't make the connection until much later.

Brian had waited a couple of weeks after talking to Carl before he had gone to see Chester Blackburn. He was reluctant to get into another situation like the one with Sambellini. He mulled over the possibilities in his head for days. Finally the thought of continuing to do nothing about retrieving his son was too much. He wanted to take action so he had gone to see the private eye. It would turn out to be one of the best decisions he ever made.

After a few weeks Justin had to ask what had happened that made Brian have such a better frame of mind.

Brian had smiled mysteriously and asked, "Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, Miss Scarlett, the fact that you're playing with me tells me that you have a bit of your sense of humor back, and …I like it."

"I have a sense of humor?" Brian asked with feigned disbelief.

"Of course you do," Justin giggled.

"I didn't think assholes had senses of humor."

"Briiaaan!"

"Sorry, Sunshine, I guess I should explain."

Justin grinned. It had been weeks since Brian had called him Sunshine. Neither of them had felt very sunny for a long time. Things were looking up. "So tell me."

Brian explained about Carl and Blackburn and the possibilities that had been opened up. At that point Blackburn had ruled out Gus' presence at any of the Garoni properties in the States. He was checking the island off Barbados and would then try to find out about Sicily if Gus wasn't in the Caribbean.

"What if he isn't in Sicily either?" Justin asked fearing the answer.

"I talked to Chester about that. He thinks Gus is probably in Sicily because it's the most secure spot. If he isn't then he would start tracking any and all Garoni contacts."

"That sounds like a horrendous job."

"It is, but Chester seems to think he can do whatever is required. And I believe he can."

"That's good," Justin said with a smile.

"I've missed that smile," Brian whispered.

"I've missed you."

"I guess I have been kind of … remote."

"That's putting it mildly."

Brian's arms encircled Justin and pulled him into a warm hug. He felt Justin give himself to him. He had missed that over the last weeks. There had been a wall between them. And now he realized that the wall had come from him, not from Justin. He had kept his partner at arm's length never letting Justin really comfort him or help him. He had felt such overwhelming sadness and despondency that he couldn't let anyone else share it. It would have swallowed both of them.

Now that there was the slimmest glimmer of hope that they might get Gus back Brian felt more like his old self. He allowed himself to take Justin in his arms and kiss him fervently, needily, completely. The kiss went on and on as the two men reconnected, having been lost to each other for so long.

Brian tugged his young partner up the stairs kissing all the while. They tumbled onto the bed pulling off each other's clothes. They kissed and sucked and nipped. They couldn't get close enough. When Brian finally entered Justin they were both breathless and in need. The lovemaking was fast and intense, just like the first time.

When they were through they lay in each other's arms. They didn't want to lose their refound connection.

"I love you," Justin whispered. Brian nodded and Justin knew his feelings were being reciprocated. "How long will it be before you know where Gus is?"

"Soon," was all Brian said before capturing Justin's mouth once again. He didn't want think about anything at the moment. He just wanted Justin with all his heart and soul.

Return to Thyme's