- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10 - GETTING OUT OF JAIL...AND GETTING TO KNOW EMS

 

LINDSAY AND MEL’S HOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON, SAME DAY

 

BRIAN

 

“Goddamn fothermucker!” I mutter as I stride up the path. Before I can even reach it, the door is wrenched open and an incensed Lindsay is hauling me in. I pull my arm from her grasp. “So, what has he done this time?”

 

“He is being churlish and arrogant...yes arrogant, which he gets from you, and secretive!” She explodes.

 

“About?” I ask as I stride past her into the lounge. “The arrogance, I mean. As for the secret, it is…”

 

“We do not have secrets in this family!” She rages. “He won't show me his phone. As for arrogance, he has been unnecessarily smug about moving in with you, which clearly shows…”

 

“I want to hear his side first.” I interrupt and head to the foot of the stairs. “Sonny Boy, can you come down please?!”

 

“And that doesn't help either. By calling him Sonny Boy, your pet name for him, you are immediately taking his side!”

 

The stomp of Gus’s steps, the look of absolute fury on his face, and the lack of his precious means one thing. Turning to her, I just put out my hand.

 

“Brian! You are undermining my authority!”

 

“No he is not, Lindsay, he is stopping you from being nosy!” Mel snaps as she approaches me with his phone. “He doesn't want you to know about that particular thing right now. Why can't you respect that?”

 

“Especially after the last time you tried to play Cupid!” Gus growls.

 

Lindsay balls her fists. “Give him that phone, Mel, then you can get out too! This is my house, remember?!”

 

“Mom!” Gus exclaims, immediately getting between me and Mel. “Momma, put it back wherever you found it. Please?” For a few long seconds, Mel does nothing before she sighs and nods. “Thanks.” We wait for her to come back empty handed; she is about to say something but before she can, Jenny comes out with Gus’s phone. “Uh, Jenny…”

 

“I am sick and tired of your bullying, Momma!” Jenny states and holds out the phone. “Take it. One of you take it. She had no right to take it off of you. None. So, Momma, what are you going to do? You going to throw me out instead?!” The room goes quiet and nobody moves. “Well, are you?! Every time you don't get your way, you threaten Momma with chucking her out!” She turns to me with tears in her eyes. “Uncle Brian…” She starts to cry and we all wait for her to compose herself. “...the cottage?”

 

“What about it?” I ask gently, knowing exactly what she is going to ask, and seeing Lindsay now, it is the a no brainer.

 

“If we had to, could Momma and I stay there, just until Momma gets…”

 

“Jenny!” Lindsay exclaims.

 

“Of course you can. In fact, why don't you pack a bag now? All three of you. Stay in the house tonight though. Let everyone calm down…” I cut my eye at an incredulous looking Lindsay.

 

Whatever Lindsay is going to say is interrupted by the ratatatat that I know only too well, I open the door to Michael, who looks surprised and guilty.

 

“What are you doing here?!” He demands.

 

“Coming to collect Gus. What do you want, Michael? Are you here to see Jenny?” He says nothing then I catch the look on Lindsay's face. Whatever he wants to to say or do she knows about it. “Nope, you are not, so why are you here?”

 

“I need to speak to Mel and Lindsay in private, so can you take them away please?”

 

“Them?” I repeat, and ache for her as the hurt expression flutters across her face. “Do you mean my son and your daughter? Is that the them you are referring to, brother dear?”

 

“Brian…” He whines. “...for once, just do as I ask!”

 

“I have always done what you asked, hence your sense of entitlement. So back on topic, if you want to speak to them in private, have that…” I gesture at the Captain Astro wallet I got him when Jenny was born. “...and are referring to them as them I am assuming that…” The guilty look deepens. “...you really are a piece of shit!” I snap before turning back to the kids. “Go and pack. Now.”

 

“Yes, Uncle Brian, and I am glad!” Jenny chokes out as she starts to head to her room. “You stopped being my daddy dear a long time ago!”

 

“Dad? Is he? Does he want to?” Gus looks at me then at Mel, before he turns his Kinney Glare to Lindsay. “And she knows?! So it seems he's not the only piece of shit!” He storms before taking the stairs two a time.

 

“So why?” Mel demands and I pray she doesn't bulldog bitch dyke him into keeping them, we are so close to freedom. “Can I at least tell her a reason?”

 

“Let's be honest, I am not cut out to be a father. We like different things, and whilst it was fine when you were in Canada, now you are here, I can’t and...and don't want to dedicate my time to someone who is not interested in the same things I am. I have spent the last few years being something to someone else, it is time for me to be me for me.”

 

“Wow. Just wow.” Mel whispers before looking up the stairs then turning back to him. “So you want to give up your rights?”

 

“Yes. Obviously you can keep…”

 

“No we won’t.” Mel declares, ignoring the gasp from Lindsay. “I knew you felt like this and have done since she was about three. Come back on Monday and we can go through the papers then. You get the support payments back from that age onwards.”

 

“Mel, are you crazy?!” Lindsay explodes. “We have earned that money!”

 

“No. You don't earn money for bringing up a child! He gets it back. And we will also be discussing future parenting of both Gus and Jenny. I assume due to your lack of reaction to his announcement, that you had an inkling this was going to happen?”

 

“Of course not! I am as shellshocked as you!” She exclaims.

 

“But hid it so well.” I sneer. “Look, this is Mom, Dad and Emmett's night tonight. Can we put this on the back burner till Monday?”

 

“Emmett? What does be have to do with anything?!” Michael frowns.

 

“He wants to make an announcement too.” I reply, then head upstairs. “How close are you to packed?!” I call through Jenny’s door,

 

“Almost done!” Jenny calls back whilst Gus opens his and comes out with two holdalls bulging at the seams.

 

“Okay, let's go!” He declares. “Momma! I am sure Daph has things you can use for one night. Grab your coat, purse and phone and go the car. I will lock up and post the keys back!”

 

“Gus!” Lindsay exclaims and tries to halt his progress. “Look, like your father said, let's all calm down. There is no need for returning keys and…”

 

“Yes there is. The fact you cared more about earning the money than how Jenny would feel speaks volumes!”

 

“Can we please just go?” Jenny sighs as she comes down the stairs ahead of me. “And don’t worry, Michael, I am over you. But once everything is finalised you can tell your Ma how she no longer has me as a granddaughter by you!”

 

As she storms out of the house nobody says anything.

 

DINER - EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

I stare at Emmett in disbelief, I am sure that he is joking. He merely stares back.

 

“You are a millionaire?! You?!”

 

“Yes. Not as much as Brian but enough for me to be more than comfortable, and, of course, for the vultures to start circling.” He grimaces.

 

Brandon snorts so I glare at him. “And that was because?” I snap.

 

“Well just as you find out about the new bank, it closes.” He chortles and is joined by Ben.

 

“Well aren’t you two just nice and cosy?!” I taunt them. “Something to share with the rest of the family and our friends?!”

 

“Ahem. You are not my friend at the moment, not after the way you have behaved!” Emmett fumes at me. “And until you have apologised to our satisfaction, you will remain in the unfriend zone!”

 

I am about to bitch back at him when the door to the diner opens. A woman, a girl and two dogs come in with a blonde haired hottie! Now him I could get to know in every position in my repertoire!

 

“Um, sorry, but the diner is closed for a private function.” I get up and approach them with a smile. “But you could come back tomorrow.” I zero in on him.

 

“Christ, is it everything and anything with you?!” Brandon goads me but I ignore him.

 

“Hey, darlings! Oh you devilish dickens, they are gorgeous! When?” Emmett exclaims, rushing to the dogs, who scurry behind the woman’s legs in surprise.

 

“You are scaring them!” I chastise him and hunker down to see them properly then get back up. “Are they pitbulls?”

 

“Yep.” The woman smiles. “Meet Holmes and Watson. Now, is that apple brined chicken I smell?!”

 

“Yes it is, but who are you?” Ma asks, smiling at her. “And her, though I'm assuming by the similar looks, you’re her mother?”

 

“Uh-huh. Jewel and this is Pearl. Hey, Gus, how are you…” She pauses and studies Mel for a few long seconds before smiling. “Nice to see you again.”

 

“And you.” Mel grins back. “So how are you connected to whoever you are connected to!”

 

“Excuse me, Mel, but when did you meet her?!” Lindsay has stopped gawking at this Jewel person.

 

“Remember the dinner in Cali a couple of years...oh my goodness, I thought you looked familiar, you were our waiter!” She gasps looking at the blonde. “Now wait, it will come back to me.” She closes her eyes and drums her nails on the table. “Justin!”

 

“Yep, that would be me!” He laughs.

 

“And who are you to Jewel Johnson, she is one of the greatest sommeliers in the world? I would hardly think that you two would be in the same circles, well apart from the industry I suppose.” Lindsay sniffs and then rises extending her hand. “Hi Jewel, I am Lindsay and…”

 

“He is my best friend.” Jewel retorts, then waits for Lindsay to drop her hand.

 

Lindsay glares at a snickering Mel and Brian and sits down again.

 

“Hey, Pearl, Miss J! Oh wow, finally!” Gus exclaims as he and Hunter come out from the kitchen. “They are gorgeous!” The devil dogs wag their tails at his enthusiasm. I step back further, I know all about pitbulls.

 

LINDSAY

 

“Gus, how do you know Pearl and Jewel?!” I can't believe this and internally fume at the look of irritation that crosses Jewel’s face. “May I call you Jewel?”

 

“Suppose.” She mutters before unclipping the dogs’ collars but they remain at her side.

 

“Pearl goes to my school. I’m her buddy.” He replies after he and Hunter get their faces cleaned. “Ugh! Doggy drool!” They get up and head to the bathroom laughing.

 

“Oh.” I gasp as I realise something. From the few brief glimpses I got at his phone, I noticed that he was getting a lot of texts from his buddy and the smile he would get when he did.

 

“Leave it alone!” Brian whispers in my ear making me jump. “Forgiveness will not be an option, if you try to play Cupid again, especially now.” I glare at his back as he heads back to the other end of the table, but he is right. This has to be played and orchestrated very carefully.

 

“So was that it, Emmett?” Everyone looks at me, but I am watching Jewel as she and Justin glide around the table helping Debs plate up. Whilst her story is well known, she got pregnant by her dear friend when very young but he died before she could tell him. I am at a loss to understand why she is here. “Brian said you had an announcement, so I take it this was about your wealth?”

 

“Yes and no, there is more. I was married. And now I am widowed.”

 

“Widowed?! Who were you married to?!” Ben is gaping at him.

 

“Godiva, we were married for five years, we got married after he was diagnosed.”

 

We are stunned into silence.

 

“And he was a very smart man, where the stock market was concerned, and made sure I would want for nothing. So glad he met you both.” He smiles at Pearl and Jewel; again I do not understand!

 

“Why should them meeting your late husband mean so much?” I hope I have kept my frustration in check.

 

“Because she is my daughter.” He replies beaming at Pearl.

 

“What?!” Mel and I exclaim and everyone is just staring, it is then I notice the lack of reaction from Gus. “You knew?! When did you find out?!”

 

“Why is that important to you?” Gus retorts.

 

“I was just surprised that's all.” I return, biting back the slapdown he deserves.

 

“But she was told…” Mel begins.

 

“Yeah, turns out that when I found out he got me pregnant that was the final straw for our racist parents. They shipped me off but not before they told me that he had died in a car accident…”

 

“That is awful!” Mel declares.

 

“They told me the same thing for her.” Emmett sighs.

 

“Oh what a bunch of…” Debs searches for the word.

 

“Cunts?” Pearl supplies, Debs gawks at her before breaking into a grin and nodding.

 

“So anything else?” Ted asks.

 

“Two things.” Carl declares. “One, Brian and Brandon are the sons we gave up. And, two, you have a date next Friday!”

 

“Sons?! Hold up date?! What date?!” Ted shouts and Emmett almost drops the bottle he is holding.

 

“Me, Uncle Ems, Mark and Daph have been talking and we think he would be perfect for you, your own pocket rocket.” Jenny decrees.

 

“Pocket rocket? Jenny what are you talking about?!” Ted frowns.

 

“His name is Blake and he’s new in town.” Emmett explains as he opens the wine and pours himself a large glass. “Oh I am so pleased for you four, the family is back together! Ooh I have an idea! It can be a double date!”

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t take my eyes off of Justin, he is gorgeous, oh the things I could do to him!

 

“Double?” Ma’s question brings my focus back to the conversation.

 

“Yes, with Jewel and Drew Boyd.”

 

“Drew Boyd?! Isn't he gay?” Lindsay looks around the table.

 

“Not to my knowledge.” Jewel replies. “We could make it a triple date, but some folks aren't up to speed yet.”

 

I have to stop myself from fantasising about kissing the sweetly embarrassed look off of Justin’s face. “So who have you got your heart set on, Justin? Someone you have just met?” I rest my chin on my hand and fix him my most sultry of stares.

 

“I have just come out of a bad relationship, so…”

 

“I know just the person to make you forget about that.” I husk at him and he blushes deeper.

 

“So do we.” Emmett clips out. “He needs someone who will treasure him and be faithful, and that is not you!” He sneers. “He needs someone like Brian. Yes, definitely Brian.”

 

I boil inside but say nothing, but I am sure of one thing: there is no way that Brian is getting anywhere near my soon to be pocket rocket!

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.