- Text Size +

CHAPTER 14 - DENIAL IS NOT JUST A RIVER IN AFRICA...PART 1

 

BRIAN’S CAR - 5 MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Justin is very quiet and I am wondering if he is backing out of pressing charges. If he is, I will be disappointed but not angry. After all, it is not me that has to relive this. He catches my second glance and shakes his head. “What?”

 

“I am not backing out.”

 

“Good. So what’s with the silence?”

 

“What I told Daphne about…”

 

“About us being attracted to each other, or that we want to, now how would you put it ...?”

 

He rolls his eyes before grinning. “Have hot and juicy sex?”

 

“Hmm. Not make love or fuck, but hot and juicy sex, why say it that way?”

 

“Because of everything else we said.” He replies, and I nod. As we take the turn into the precinct car park, I see Jewel’s jeep. “How the hell did she get here so fast?”

 

“She learned to get to and from places very quickly…” He sighs.

 

“Because of her family?” I grimace.

 

“Yeah. She, like you, ran away. She ran when she found out that they lied about Emmett being dead. Can you imagine having such hatred that you come up with that to keep people from being friends?”

 

“No, to be honest I can’t. Sickening. Did she know she was pregnant when she ran?” I pull up next to her jeep.

 

“That’s one of the key reasons that she ran. She was afraid of what they would do to her or the baby.” I sigh then chuff a laugh. “What?”

 

I tug him to my side of the car, he snorts softly as he spots Pearl curled up in the front seat, fast asleep and sucking her thumb.

 

“She is a tungsten covered marshmallow, that kid.” I murmur, and try not to imagine how good his hair would feel running through my fingers.

 

“Yeah, she is.” He looks up at me, then we both zero in on each other’s lips.

 

“Umm, keep it PG, just a taste?”

 

“Yeah.” He replies, and adjusts himself so that he is sitting in my lap. “On three.”

 

“Three.”

 

His lips are soft, plump, and moist.  And what starts out chaste, begins to bloom into slow, deep, lip sucking, tongue twisting Frenching. And his hair feels great!

 

JUSTIN

 

I know I haven’t kissed in a while, and this could be a reaction to that, but oh my God, our tongues are moving as if they were made for each other. We don’t even clash teeth! We just know where to move to, and...woah! My heart almost stops as I realise what I am sitting on. He feels enormous! My heart almost pounds out of my chest; I harden some more at the thought of that inside me. We have to stop! I stroke his face as I lower my hands and he does the same. Just how are we so in sync? Soon we are just looking at each other, then we both start to smile.

 

“So much for PG.” I laugh.

 

“Yeah.” He shifts a little, I am left somewhat bereft. “So, statement?”

 

“Yes, I need to…” He strokes my lips looking at them intently. “...what?”

 

“Pure filth.” He taps my butt, I get back in my seat with a frown. “Those lips are made for pure, hot, and juicy filth.” He explains, then gets out of the car. “You coming?”

 

“Can you give me a minute?” I mutter, blushing.

 

“Sure. Gonna find Jewel, tell her you are here.”

 

He quickly strides away and I rest my head against the dashboard. “Down, boy, you cannot go make a statement with a raging hard on! Think about Michael and Ethan jacking each other off with their calloused hands and dirt encrusted...yeah, that’s done it!”

 

LINDSAY'S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

I have the place to myself. Lindsay sent me a text to say she has gone to Ted’s to speak to Mel. We are both furious about the cottage situation! If anyone should be living there, it should be one of us. Me, as his brother, or her as Gus’s mother. Mel could stay here, and that’s what she is going to try and argue.

 

However, right now I have a bigger problem. I need to speak to Ethan, but he is not returning my calls. I jump at the knocking on the door and go to open it. I scowl when I see Ben, and it turns into a frown when I see also Brandon coming down the path.

 

“What do you two want?”

 

“To come in, unless you want us to discuss this on the doorstep!” Ben snarls. I step back and they follow, with Brandon slamming the door so hard the glass cracks. “You are an unmitigated wanker, and that’s how you should've remained instead of causing Jenny unnecessary hurt!”

 

“Ben, Ben, this is what he is all about, all about himself and to hell with everyone else!” Brandon snipes. “You two roomies all settled now?”

 

“This has what to do with…” I fume, hating the way he is talking to me. How he has always talked to me.

 

“Owing to you being my brother, that makes her my niece, you dumbass!” He scowls around the room. “And another thing, how did you and your fellow soap dodger meet?”

 

“Soap dodger!” I exclaim. “How dare you come to my house, and…”

 

“Your house?!” Ben scoffs then shakes his head. “You’ve only been here a night and now it is yours? Does Lindsay know?”

 

“Where is the grasping silly old trout anyway?” Brandon laughs. “Seriously, silly old trout sounds so lame unless said with the viciousness that Jewel did.”

 

“She doesn't need to swear when she has that foul mouthed daughter to more than compensate for the crassness. Which reminds me, Jenny owes me an apology for calling me that!”

 

“I am sure she will do that on Monday…” Ben glares at me. “...you know, when you sign your rights away!”

 

“So what about you, daddy of the year? Or have you forgotten that you lied!”

 

“Only to you about the exact relationship! I said when we met, and I quote, we are as close as a father and son, and you said how sweet that is! I did not lie to him about wanting to be a father and you lied to her, to them! But then again that’s one of the few things you are good at!”

 

“Oh, for God…” I begin, only to be interrupted by my phone. I smirk and put it on speaker. “Hey, Ethan baby, where have you been? When are you coming down, can it be in a couple of weeks though? I want to come to see you first, because I think it is time for you to meet the family. After all, it has been eight months now.”

 

“Eight?” Brandon echoes.  

 

Oh, how I enjoy the hurt look on Ben‘s face. Well, if he had given me what I needed when I needed it, then we would still be together, wouldn’t we?

 

“Michael, sorry it took so long to come back to you, was in a meeting. How are you, my love?”

 

“Fine, just fine. Now can I start packing?”

 

“What’s to pack? After all, it is not as if we will be wearing much.” He snickers

 

“True, I just love being so free…”

 

“And filthy.”

 

“Filth...wait a minute, who was that?”

 

“Who was what? Oh that? Brandon, my half brother…”

 

“And new boyfriend of his ex. Look forward to seeing you at the party, Ethan!” I glare at the smug look on his face. “And unlike you two, we are clean both inside and out!”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?!” Ethan shouts.

 

“Well, according to your ex, Justin, outside you’re a soap dodger extraordinaire like your current lover…” Ben declares. “...and inside, you gave him anal warts!”

 

“My...Justin? Justin’s in Pittsburgh?! Why the hell is he in...hold a second, anal warts? I don’t have anal warts!”

 

“Well Michael does!” Brandon guffaws. “So if you didn’t give it to him, then who did?”

 

“Yes, Michael, care to explain that one?!” Ethan growls, and, briefly, I am relieved he is in California.

 

“Let’s go, Ben, my love, seems that the soap dodgers need some private time!”

 

“Michael! Michael, explain your fucking self right now!”

 

Brandon jerks his head and they head back down the hallway and out.

 

BEN

 

As I start to close the door, the pain I feel at his duplicity starts to ease when Ethan tells him in no uncertain terms that they are over. I would feel sorry for Ethan, as Michael tends to want the last word, as demonstrated just now, but I don’t. Fairly soon, I suspect payback will come his way.

 

“Sorry about that.” Brandon bumps my shoulder. “But his smugness was annoying.”

 

“Oh, that’s alright. Don’t know about you, but I really need a drink.” I sigh.

 

“Sure, mine okay?” He calls over the car. “That way when you are sucking the brandy from the bottle, nobody will judge you!”

 

“Just drive, doofus!”

 

TED’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

“Mel, please forgive me, it was said in the heat of the…”

 

“Moment!” She and Jenny retort.

 

“That’s the problem with you, Momma, it is always said no matter what moment!”

 

“Jenny, darling, I know you are…”

 

“You know shit!” Ted explodes. “Now get this and get this well! Mel and Jenny are going to live in the cottage. Gus is going to live in the barn. Michael is revoking his rights. Mel is giving him all his money back. You are getting the fuck out of my condo!”

 

“Ted!” I cry, tears streaming down my face. “I want to save my relationship…”

 

“Why?! You’ve done fuck all to nurture it! You have not given Mel a grain of support as she slogged her guts out, trying to make partner! I can count on both hands, and still not hit ten, the amount of times, I have witnessed you helping Jenny with her homework in these last few months. You are always telling her to go to an already overworked and overstretched Mel, who despite that, does so. I want to know why?”

 

“Why what?” I hiccup.

 

“Why you were using Brian’s loft? Don't give me bullcrap about meetings and keeping it safe, you only do things, actually you two only do things for you, so why?”

 

My mind races. “Those are the reasons!” I exclaim, but I can see he doesn't believe me, and the way that Mel and Jenny are beginning to look at me, there is doubt in their mind too. “I don’t know what else you think there is, but that is it!”

 

“Get out, Lindsay.” Ted orders. “We, a soon-to be-family, want to have a nice day, and you, as a silly old trout, are interfering with that!”

 

BRANDON’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BACK GARDEN

 

BEN

 

I try not to laugh, and fail, as Brandon hands me a bottle of brandy and two taped together straws.

 

“Start sucking.”

 

“Doofus.” I snicker, and take the glasses out of his hand instead.

 

“Such a gentleman.” He says as he sits down. “So very polite.”

 

“How is wanker polite?” I scoff.

 

“That is to him, and true, but you never swear out of context when I am around.”

 

I contemplate this then shrug. “Profanity has its place I guess.”

 

“Elephant question, why does it bother you still?”

 

“Because!” I snap, then sigh. “My previous boyfriend wasn’t faithful either, but at least he threw it in my face at every given opportunity. The fact that he hid it makes it worse.”

 

“I get it now.” He squeezes my shoulder.

 

BRANDON

 

I regard this gentle man. I have always admired the way he is with Jenny, and the fact that she is my niece, well that has ratcheted up the admiration points.

 

“Come on, let’s shoot some pool.” He declares as he stands up. “Hopefully, my next boyfriend is nicer than the last two. Gonna put these in the kitchen so we can commiserate your asskicking.” He gathers up the bottle and glasses and strides away.

 

“I am.” I mutter as I follow him. “Just need to work on the boyfriend part.”

 

BRITIN - EARLY EVENING

 

JUSTIN’S WING, LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

“Come in!” I call back, hoping it is who I think it is.

 

“Hey. How’d it go?”

 

“Back at you. Want a Beam?” He raises his eyebrows. “The statement didn't take long and then Jewel wanted to go shopping. So, yes or no?”

 

“Yes.” He flops into the sofa and looks around the room. “Like what you have done, made it real homey. Aren’t you a lil Stewie Homemaker?”

 

“Aren't you thirsty?” I return holding the glasses hostage.

 

“Checkmate. The score is now 10-3 on my favour.” I chuckle at that, as the memory of our chess games sparks into my mind. “Thanks.” He sighs as he takes the glass. When I sit near to him, he frowns and pulls me closer. “Much better.” We sit in silence for a while before he clears his throat. “So, I told Daphne about the last beating before I ran away, and how you comforted me when I told you.”

 

“What were her thoughts?”

 

“She told me to ask you.” He looks uncertain, so I say nothing. “She said that you could provide the answer since you voiced the fear.”

 

“I did? When?” I sit up and turn his face towards me. “All I said was that you must have been terrified.”

 

“That’s what I said.” He grumbles. I shrug, then resume my position, resting against his shoulder. “But we will figure it out.”

 

“Yeah.” I murmur, and watch the flames of the fire I banked an hour ago flicker and dance. “Oh, I have done more pages of the magazine. You want to see them?”

 

He reaches for the blanket behind my head and puts it over us. “Yeah, later, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

LINDSAY’S COTTAGE - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

LYNETTE

 

I survey the interiors and marvel at its warmth, then grimace as I know this is not Lindsay, this is Mel. She may be a bulldyke stormtropper in court, but when it came to here and to Gus and Jenny, she is an earth mother compared to the Eiger Sanction that is my sister!

 

“Won’t be long, just have to make one phone call and I am all yours!” She trills, then closes the door between the lounge and the kitchen. I say nothing, just head to the wine cabinet and help myself to a large glass of red.

 

My throat catches as I spot the picture of all of us on the mantle. Oh, how mom and dad loved Gus and Jenny! And the family Sundays we had when they were alive were a joy, but since their deaths in that car accident just before they came back to the Pitts, we’ve not had one again. I miss my parents so much, especially dad and his words of wisdom. He would be able to guide me through this.

 

“Sorry about that, Linney!” Lindsay coos as she returns. “Work waits for nobody, not that you need to worry about that!” She helps herself to wine and joins me on the sofa. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?”

 

“The surrogate I told you about is pregnant…” She splutters on her drink and goes pale. “...not for me! Let me get you a…”

 

“For goodness sake, Linney!” She coughs and waves away the tissues I was handing to her. “So now what happens?”

 

“Nothing. I only want her to carry, so we have to wait.”

 

“Oh.” She frowns. “Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, I am sure, I have waited this long, what's another year or so?”

 

“Okay, so what has happened with the samples?”

 

“I have fro…” I pause, then look hard at her. “...why did you react like that?”

 

“Like what?”

 

You looked horrified at the thought that she is pregnant for me. Why?”

 

“We hadn’t discussed the next stage, remember? I thought you had raced on ahead without consulting me, that's all.” She pats my hand and smiles. “How is Gregory, and what is in that beautifully wrapped thing?” She elbows me then points at the Tiffany bag. I put my wine down and place the bag in her lap. “For me?! Oh, Linney, what on earth for?!”

 

“Open it, then I will explain.” I sip my wine.

 

She takes her time unwrapping it before pulling out a pair of silk panties. “Uh, okay, I am at a loss, but they are beautiful. So why would you get me silk panties?”

 

“I didn't get them, but I was with you when you bought them. I remember them well, and the bra you got at the same time.”

 

She starts to giggle. “Oh yes! It was after cocktails and way too little food! I had to hide them for a while then move the money from my inheritance very quickly! I have never spent that much on underwear!” She stops giggling and looks at me. “Why do you have them?”

 

“Surely the question should be, why did my soon to be ex husband have them in the pocket of his jeans? The same jeans he wore to a business trip when you were both out of town?”

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please revieew kindly and constructively. Thanks.