- Text Size +

CHAPTER 20 - LIVING ARRANGEMENTS...LOFTY AMBITIONS


LOUNGE - TEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I look out of the window, waiting for them to arrive. Luckily, a snarl up bought us more time to digest what has happened. The creak of the gates, followed by the familiar growl of Jewel’s jeep helps to calm me down. She has always, always, had my back, and I can’t wait to thank her properly. 


“Here.” I lean back against Brian and take the wine. “Apothic Dark.” 


“Lovely. What’s for dinner?” 


“Confit duck legs with a light salad for main. Caramelized sweet onion tarte tatin to start, and creme brulee for dessert.” He grins at me. “You should see how big and blue your eyes just got then.” I wrap my arm around his waist and sigh. “Don’t.” He tilts up my chin. “You have gotten this far, you are stronger than you think. Besides, if it wasn’t for him, then I wouldn’t be rimming you first thing in the morning.”


I almost drop the glass. “Rimming?! You’re going to rim me?!” 


“Yep, unless you would prefer a slow fingering instead?”


“Can he have both?” Jewel laughs from the door. Whereas I blush, he just grins at her before looking down at me with a raised eyebrow. “I am answering on his behalf. Yes, he would like that, please, and thank you!”


“Come here, you gorgeous person.” I hand him back the wine and open my arms. She steps into them without a word. “Thank you for speaking to Mark.” I hug her tightly.


“Anytime. So what’s the plan, my man, and what are you drinking?” She looks at me carefully. “Oh, you are kidding! Never?! I mean, I can understand why not with him, but never ever?”


“Oh, tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day.” Brian laughs as he wraps an arm around Jewel and kisses her cheek. “Thank you from me too.”


“Like I said, anytime. That smells like Apothic…”


“It is. Want one, or there is Rustenberger.” He asks. “By the way, how did…”


“Yo, Bruh!” Brandon calls from the hallway. “Come and help! Mom has been cooking!” 


“Ah, that explains how you got in, Jewel. And I told her not to!” Brian gripes, but is smiling.


“You know your Mom…” He smiles wider at his Dad’s voice. “...besides, it's for tomorrow, not tonight!” We follow him to the hallway, then stare at the hamper at Carl’s feet. “Now where is my hug?”


“Here.” Brian sweeps him into his arms, I feel so happy for him. 


“Hey, Justin, you doing okay?” Brandon asks, surprising me with a kiss on the cheek. 


“Yes. Uh, thanks. You?” I chuckle as he presents his cheek for reciprocation.


“More than good, thanks.” He grins. 


“Where is...Debs, um, I mean your Mom? And isn't Ben coming?”


“Debs, honey, you call me Debs! And him Carl!” She smiles from the doorway as she puts down another hamper. “And I didn’t cook just for tomorrow…”


“Yeah, she has cooked for the rest of the week.” Carl chuckles. “Japanese. Where’s Mark, got the day off?”


“No, he and Daphne went into the city. Something urgent came up, they send their apologies.” Brian explains. “Justin and Jewel, can you two handle the wine whilst we put these put away?” 


“Sheesh, having a guest work, how rude!” Jewel chuckles as we head back into the lounge. I shut the door behind us, immediately her arms are around me and I start to cry. “So why are they not here, really?” She is quiet as I tell her about the calls, how they have gone to Mark’s cop buddy with the recordings, and finally voice my other fear. She shakes her head and kisses my nose. “I have served my time, dear Justin, and even if he does come for me, he will only be dropping himself in it. And if he decides to come for Pearl, again he will drop himself in it and wish his mother swallowed.” I snigger into my wine. “And since we’re on the subject of fears, I have a small one.”


“Would that be a Mel shaped one?” I smirk and she blushes. “What’s the problem? I saw the way you looked at her when you first met, and that look intensified when you saw her again. So just ask her. Now that she and the silly old trout are on the outs, chances are she will leap at you.”


“I don't want a rebound thing, and…”


“Jewel, that look was reciprocated!” She clinks our glasses before topping mine up. “And speaking of trouts, clearly being out of the water and living with Michael has addled her fashion sense!” I point out the window as Lindsay gets out of the cab in a truly hideous outfit, accompanied by Michael, who is scowling. 


“All I can say is...nothing, I got nothing.” Jewel chuckles.


LINDSAY


I wait for Michael to settle the fare. For a man who now has his support money back and wanted to live elsewhere, he has not made much effort to find a place. I know that reconnecting with his birth father has taken up a bit of his time, but his parsimony is going to stop as long as he remains in my house. He was known for his free spending ways when he was with Ben, but it would seem that if it is his money, then he keeps his wallet very close to his chest. How he managed to get Ben to pay for even part of Paris, I will never know.


“So, will you ask him then?”


“Ask who what? Sorry, wasn’t listening.”


“Brian. About the service. That fare was ridiculous!” He grumbles as he follows me to the door. “Why did you let Mel take the car anyway?”


“She didn’t let me take the car!” Mel snaps, startling us both. “It is my car! Jenny, come on, you said you would help with the table!”


“Coming, Mom.” Jenny trots around the side of the house, and I am taken aback by her choice of clothing “Oh, they’re here, lovely.” She fishes in her pocket and pulls out a key before sighing crossly. 


“Didn’t I say that would happen?” Mel laughs. “I told you to put them on different fobs. Text him now, he might not have left yet.”


“Excuse us, but aren't you going to greet us properly?!” Michael demands.


“Nope. She is nobody to me, and you are less than that.” Jenny replies coldly then sighs again. “Battery is flat. Can you call him, I’ll go help Grandma and Grandpa.”


“Jenny, I know your feelings are hurt…” I begin, but she takes another key out of her pocket, unlocks the door, and strides inside. “Mel, please, can we talk…”


“Mom, Jewel is here!” Jenny bellows. “Said she needs your mouth skills!”


“Jenny!” Mel blushes as she hurries inside.


We are both fuming as we follow her in. My heart aches as I take in the splendour of this palace. This is far too much for one person, this is a family home. “Brian, we’re here!” I call out. We head to the sound of laughter, which stops when we enter the kitchen. “Can we help at all?” I smile.


“No.” Brandon retorts. “Go wait in the lounge I guess. Bruh, Ben said he will be another ten minutes!” 


“Okay!” Brian calls out from the pantry. “Mom, what was it you said? Misto?”


“Miso, you twit!” Debs laughs. “Let me get it. I know you have some, I did the caramelised nuts with it, remember? Lindsay and Michael are here, do you know how long Gus is going to be?”


“Five minutes, had to go back for Jenny’s keys.” Brian replies over his shoulder as he steps out of the pantry. “How have you two been?” 


“Glad someone finally asked, we’re fine.” Michael has a bright smile on his face. “Brian, I want to apologise for my behaviour lately. I was wrong to do what I did. it violated your privacy and has created a rift that I want to heal. I want to go back to where we were, as friends and now as brothers.” Everyone is quiet and staring. “Well, do you accept my apology?”


“You’re a good few weeks late!” Brandon growls. 


“Excuse me, but I am talking to Brian. Not you.” Michael returns. 


“You have pissed me off as well.” Brandon seethes. “So why don’t you try that shitshow of an apology again? In fact, don’t bother, not only doesn’t he believe you, but you never do anything without wanting something in return. So what is it?” 


“Like I said, I am speaking to Brian, and…”


“What do you want?” Brian snaps folding his arms.


“To live in the loft, I will pay…”


“No!” Brian scoffs. “Besides, I already have a brother in there, well he will be.” He smirks at Brandon, who looks very bashful.


“But I thought that Ben was there. Why should that induce that look from Brandon?” I query.


“Ben is living there. I’m joining him, on a strictly need to know about it trial basis.” Brandon replies and Michael’s jaw drops. “Close that, smells like you’ve not brushed your teeth again!” Michael claps his hand over his mouth.


“Hi, Dad, where’s Jenny?” Gus asks as he comes through the back door. 


“Think she’s in the lounge, Sonny Boy.” Brian replies, without saying a word to either of us, Gus walks out.


“Brian…” I fume. “...I know that Gus continues to be upset with me, but his behaviour must be reprimanded!” 


“Lindsay, when he is under your roof, you discipline him your way; when he’s under mine, I discipline him…”


“But you don’t discipline him! That’s the point!” I shout.


“Temper-temper!” Mel sneers from behind me, I whirl around, but am brought up short when I see Lynette heading to the lounge.


“What is…”I begin.


“I thought that you should know that Gus has left home.”


“Pardon?!” I exclaim. “Where is he living now then? In fact, where are all of you living? I have the right to know, you are still my family! How are you providing for yourself?! I was the main breadwinner of the family!”


“Jailer is what you were.” Mel remarks. “This is why we separated, you threatened us one time too many, so we broke free.”


“You were with Ted the last time I heard, and…”


“That was almost two weeks ago, during which time you’ve made feeble attempts to get in touch with us. As for living, where’d you think Jenny and I are? We're in the cottage and Gus is in his bachelor barn.”


“His...you have moved him in?!” I am near tears with annoyance. “But that's not fair!”


“Speaking of not fair.” Lynette’s cool tones float across the hallway. “Can everyone come in and sit down? There is more to discuss.”


As everyone silently obeys her command, Michael and I exchange looks. “What else is happening?!” I fume.


“I don’t know, but whatever it is, they fuck us over then we fuck them back twice as hard and without lube!”






Confit duck:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/confit-duck-legs-243544

Onion tart:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caramelized-sweet-onion-tarte-tatin#targetText=Melt%20butter%20in%20a%2012,gaps%20between%20onions%20in%20skillet.

Creme brulee: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2745/ultimate-crme-brle-

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.