- Text Size +

CHAPTER 21 - SETTING THE LOFTY SAMPLE


LOUNGE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


“I have no idea what this is about, but I am ready to come back at Brandon and Ben especially!” Michael whispers as we take our seats next to each other.


“Look at how high handed Lynette is being; this is not her house, and…”


“It is not, nor will it ever be your house either!” Jenny’s caustic tone does not surprise me, but I bite back my reprimand for now. “And now that we’re all gathered here together, can we get started on these two? Not sure what else they have done, but it has to be huge!”


“Before we come to this kangaroo style court…” I paste on a smile. “...Jenny, I don’t remember you having those items in your wardrobe. When did you get them? They are beautiful.”


“From me and Dad. It’s her moving in and moving on present.” Pearl’s gaze is unwavering. “I do love me a Chloe top, and I have so many of them.”


“You aren‘t serious?! I can keep them?!” Jenny squeals and rushes across the room to hug Pearl. “Oh wow! Um, wait, before you start, can I quickly go and get changed?”


“Sure, honey, you two go. Nothing will be started without you. Besides, we're waiting for Ben and Hunter still.” Mel smiles as Jenny and Pearl dash out. “I have a feeling she is going to be saving those for best!”


“To say the least!” Ted chuckles. “I have a suit bag she can use, will bring it over tomorrow.”


“What’s happening tomorrow?” Michael asks, and everyone looks scornful. “I have given up my rights, not my love of her.”


“Blatch!” Jewel spits before grinning slightly at Gus’s snort. “It was you who told me, Gus!” 


“Told you what, honey?” Carl asks...he has never called me honey since I have known them, not that I would want him to of course, but their quick acceptance of her and Pearl is really beginning go rankle!


“Well, according to the teens, blatch is the new vom...and that piece of dirge was truly blatchy! What? Too much?” I grow ever more resentful at the easy way she and Gus are interacting.


“Blatch, just blatch. Don't add anything!” He shakes his head chuckling.


“Where is everyone?!” Ben calls out. Like Michael, I find his easy coming and going within these walls tiresome! 


“Lounge.” Jewel calls back. “You got Hunter, and are you driving back?”


“Yes to Hunter, no to driving back. Am crashing here tonight.” Ben answers as they both come in. “Oh, where's Jenny and Pearl?”


“Cottage, getting changed, which gives Hunter time to scoot and dump at Gus’s maybe?” Brian suggests, they too rush back out. “Red or white?” 


“White please.” Ben greets Debs and Carl, before sinking into the seat next to Brandon. “Next time, you do it!”


“Hah!” Brandon snickers.


“Care to elaborate there?” Michael grinds out.


“Nope.” Ben grins at Brandon.


Before Michael can say anything else, all four of them return. “So, um, Moms, Dads, Uncle Ted, we were wondering if we could stay with Gus tonight, pretty please?” Pearl begs.


“Good with me.” Emmett declares, whilst Jewel nods.


“Fine with me.” I reply.


“Let me clarify things a bit here, I was talking to my Mom, Jenny’s Mom, Aunt Mel, Uncle Brian and Uncle Ben.”


“Speaking of parents!” Michael stands up. “I have met my birth father and he will be coming over in a couple of weeks.”


“You've done what?” Carl fumes.


“Invited my birth father to come and meet the family.” Michael retorts. “What’s wrong with that?”


“Which family is that?! The one that you blithely gave up because of some guy, who dumped you when he found out that you have anal warts, which you most likely got from someone else whilst you were fucking in Brian’s loft, but you tried to blame on Ben in the first instance?!” Emmett fumes.


“Been waiting to say that long?” Ted drawls.


“A wee minute or two!” Emmett smirks.


“Oh, and let’s not forget the fu...screwing at Debs and Carl’s once Brian found out about the sneaking in.” Ben adds, getting a thigh rub from Brandon, which causes Michael’s fist to clench.


“Again, you did what?!” Carl explodes.


“Blatch! That is definite blatch!” Jenny is looking at Michael with revulsion.


“So, Michael, seems you are the other combatant in this fiasco. Never thought I would be in the same metaphorical bed as you, thank goodness we got caught.” Lynnette declares. “Everyone, please let me say this without interruption. It is with deep shame and regret, but because of sheer desperation, I confess that Lindsay and I…”


“Lynette! What are you…”


“Had been collecting samples from condoms from Brian’s loft and freezing them. Lindsay said she would speak to Brian about using the sperm in a surrogate, so that I could have a baby. The samples have been returned to Brian. I have spoken privately with both Brian and Mel about this, and given them my sincere and heartfelt apologies. I also need to apologise to Gus; I am so very sorry for every time I tried to find out what she wanted to know, which you would not tell her. Like your father said, he’s very smart, my boy, you caught on quickly. Lindsay, just to let you know that I will be naming you in the petition in my divorce.”


BRIAN


Even though I am aware of everything, it still makes me boil, but the slow and steady stroking of the side of my thigh by Justin is calming me down.


“Mom, I need to go, don’t I?” Pearl asks eyes blazing.


“Yeah, you four go, we will send food over.” Jewel answers. She waits for the door to shut behind them before looking at Lindsay. “You iniquitous insect! How could you do that?! She had her reasons, but what were yours?!”


“In hindsight, maybe to get pregnant instead of the surrogate. Lindsay? Lindsay, answer me!” Lynette shouts. “That was your plan all along, wasn’t it?”


“No, no, it wasn’t. I promise you, Lynette. You were so desperate, what would you have me do, Brian? She is my sister…”


“Was!” Lynette clips out.


“And ask me first!” Brian snarls. “But you knew I would say no.” The room goes quiet and Lynette goes pale. “Like I said no to providing for Jenny.” 


“You said no?” Mom gasps. “Why? When?”


“Every damn time she asked, which was virtually every day, for three months! She said if it would make it easier, she would get a surrogate instead because she knew how I would not want to impregnate Mel.” 


“Jeez Louise!” Jewel mutters, then looks across at Mel who is just watching Lindsay. “Mel. You okay?”


“Yes, I am fine. I already knew this…”


“What?” Lindsay gasps. “How?”


“Lack of denial noted.” Ted snarks,


“And committed to memory. As for how, because I told her.” I sneer. “Mel and I have had a long overdue and without you talk. She, like Lynette, wanted the chance to have a baby. Unlike you, she wanted to have those loving and cherishing feelings from the very beginning, as you told her you felt whilst rubbing your belly and smiling like an assassin. Because you, who from the moment my seed was planted in your belly, have been using Gus ever since.”


“And you were the lesser of two evils, Michael.” Mel smirks. “You might as well know since you are no longer a father in any sense. I wanted to know who the father was. I didn't want to see his details on screen or a piece of paper.”


“Bet that changes your love for her a bit!” Brandon taunts him. He doesn't reply.


“Look…” Lindsay beseeches. “...I just wanted to help my sister. And to make it up to you…”


“Here it comes.” Mel cuts in. “To apologise for the affair, you are going to find another surrogate for her, now that Lynette’s one is pregnant?”


“Yes, if she wishes I could do that for her.” Lindsay nods.


“You were wrong, Justin.” I nudge him. “She's not going to get knocked up herself.”


“Good god no, she wouldn't do that!” Dad scoffs. “As much as she loved carrying Gus, losing that weight was a bind. Not something she wanted to go through again!”


“When did she say that?!” Mel gasps.


“Just after you guys came back.” Dad fumes. “She was talking on her phone in the Diner, bitching about how unfair it was that you, Mel, snapped back so quickly. She was so pleased that she quickly quashed your aspirations to take more maternity leave, saying that ‘the community’ needed an attorney of your calibre. Besides, she is the earth mother and that kept you from under her feet!”


“Speaking of feet, get from under ours! All three of you!” I stand up, nodding briskly. Lynette picks up her coat. “Are you going to tell her?”


“Oh yes.” She turns back to Lindsay. “As I said, all the samples that I have are with Brian. I hope you haven‘t kept any, because not one of them belongs to him.”


“And if you have been dumb enough to do anything with them already…” I step towards her with a cold smile. “...the father could either be warty boy Michael or his psycho ex, Ethan!!” 



Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. thanks.